Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Pre-Paid GSM in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Pre-Paid GSM in Geneva
Hello,

What is the best pre-paid GSM for someone coming to visit Geneva(and surrounding) I am looking online and most of these look like tourist trap rip offs, I know people are not paying .90CHF a minute!
The text you are quoting:
Hello,

What is the best pre-paid GSM for someone coming to visit Geneva(and surrounding) I am looking online and most of these look like tourist trap rip offs, I know people are not paying .90CHF a minute!
StephenSQLSep 19, 2008 @ 02:49
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1147 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Pre-Paid GSM in Geneva
Post 1
Along with this, what is public wifi coverage like in the area? I either need good public wifi or I will be needing to look at the costs of renting (or borrowing?) a GSM data card as well.
Along with this, what is public wifi coverage like in the area? I either need good public wifi or I will be needing to look at the costs of renting (or borrowing?) a GSM data card as well.
StephenSQL, Sep 19, 2008 @ 02:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Yo Stephen,

For pre-pay:
I think the cheapest option, at CHF 0.28 / minute, is with Migros Mobile  (their page is in French only).  

For public Wifi:
There's lots of it over town.

Nir

Yo Stephen,

For pre-pay:
I think the cheapest option, at CHF 0.28 / minute, is with Migros Mobile  (their page is in French only).  

For public Wifi:
There's lots of it over town.

Nir
Nir Ofek, Sep 19, 2008 @ 13:09

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There are plenty of free wifi connections in Geneva.  The one provided by the city "Ville de Geneve" works all around the lake in the city area.  It is a good enough connection for Skype use as well.  However when I'm connected to them my video streams are blocked, no biggie.

I don't know about pre-paid costs here, but if you'll be here for awhile, it is probably your best bet, otherwise just get a quad band GSM phone before you come here and it should work fine. 

There are plenty of free wifi connections in Geneva.  The one provided by the city "Ville de Geneve" works all around the lake in the city area.  It is a good enough connection for Skype use as well.  However when I'm connected to them my video streams are blocked, no biggie.

I don't know about pre-paid costs here, but if you'll be here for awhile, it is probably your best bet, otherwise just get a quad band GSM phone before you come here and it should work fine. 
Matterhorn, Sep 19, 2008 @ 13:16

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Lebara is really cheap, its the cheapest out of the three ive used for calling out of CH (Sunrise, Orange were the others)

However for calling other people in Switzerland it is not the cheapest

http://www.lebara-mobile.ch/en/tariffs.php

I like it because you can buy more credit online and the website is in english and easy to use..

Alexis
Lebara is really cheap, its the cheapest out of the three ive used for calling out of CH (Sunrise, Orange were the others)

However for calling other people in Switzerland it is not the cheapest

http://www.lebara-mobile.ch/en/tariffs.php

I like it because you can buy more credit online and the website is in english and easy to use..

Alexis
Lexillent, Sep 19, 2008 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
and im retarded cuz thats mobile, not GSM... I should sleep more before I post

sorry! =)

and im retarded cuz thats mobile, not GSM... I should sleep more before I post

sorry! =)

Lexillent, Sep 19, 2008 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Lexi: isn't GSM the same thing as Mobile?
Lexi: isn't GSM the same thing as Mobile?
Nir Ofek, Sep 19, 2008 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications (only system that works in Europe)

CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access (most popular system in USA/Canada)

He just wants a phone that works in Switzerland so that means that it has to be a GSM phone.
GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications (only system that works in Europe)

CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access (most popular system in USA/Canada)

He just wants a phone that works in Switzerland so that means that it has to be a GSM phone.
Verbier, Sep 19, 2008 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I am in the US and have CDMA phone(and love it! super fast and very reliable, good prices as well)

but I will be getting probably a nokia quad band GSM phone to bring with me, then insert a SIM card once I get there(or that is the plan)

I will be coming for about 10 days at the end of the year just trying to get everything sorted out before I come. The services that will ship the sim here are quite pricey, but do allow free incoming calls. Good to know about wifi I checked boingo and it looks well covered there as well, so between open public+boingo paid wifi should be covering me on data services.
I am in the US and have CDMA phone(and love it! super fast and very reliable, good prices as well)

but I will be getting probably a nokia quad band GSM phone to bring with me, then insert a SIM card once I get there(or that is the plan)

I will be coming for about 10 days at the end of the year just trying to get everything sorted out before I come. The services that will ship the sim here are quite pricey, but do allow free incoming calls. Good to know about wifi I checked boingo and it looks well covered there as well, so between open public+boingo paid wifi should be covering me on data services.
StephenSQL, Sep 19, 2008 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1147 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form