Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > SWEDEN over Xmas/New Year

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
SWEDEN over Xmas/New Year
Looking for a hut or two in Sweden for a bunch of people to spend Xmas &/or New Year. Some will arrive via Goeteborg (with ferry from Kiel) and other flying from Geneva, to Stockholm?

Would like to be in a place, well positioned to do activities such as husky riding, saunas, Abba karaoke.... see Father Christmas....

Anyone any ideas of nice places to stay (possibly 2 different huts nearby) in a place that has such activities that we can all somehow reach? All tips most gratefully rec'd

The text you are quoting:
Looking for a hut or two in Sweden for a bunch of people to spend Xmas &/or New Year. Some will arrive via Goeteborg (with ferry from Kiel) and other flying from Geneva, to Stockholm?

Would like to be in a place, well positioned to do activities such as husky riding, saunas, Abba karaoke.... see Father Christmas....

Anyone any ideas of nice places to stay (possibly 2 different huts nearby) in a place that has such activities that we can all somehow reach? All tips most gratefully rec'd
SimSimSep 25, 2008 @ 23:37

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1003 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: SWEDEN over Xmas/New Year
Post 1
PS - and should anyone be interested in joining just let me know!
PS - and should anyone be interested in joining just let me know!
SimSim, Sep 25, 2008 @ 23:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Are you sure you really want to stay in a hut under Nordic winter conditions, especially further up north where you can do real husky dog sleigh rides?

It's unlikely you'll find husky dog rides near Stockholm. So, you need to go further up north into the Laplands. Laplands is also good place to do Abba karaoke without disturbing anyone except the moose and reindeers :D. You may also be able to get a glimpse of the Aurora Borealis. Try Kiruna for good connections from Stockholm and Goeteborg.

Are you sure you really want to stay in a hut under Nordic winter conditions, especially further up north where you can do real husky dog sleigh rides?

It's unlikely you'll find husky dog rides near Stockholm. So, you need to go further up north into the Laplands. Laplands is also good place to do Abba karaoke without disturbing anyone except the moose and reindeers :D. You may also be able to get a glimpse of the Aurora Borealis. Try Kiruna for good connections from Stockholm and Goeteborg.
Novecento, Sep 25, 2008 @ 23:55

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
hi simsim

i think novecento is right. you should try to go further north or try maybe one of the small islands close to stockholm. i was in kiruna years ago and would not call it particularly sexy... the lofoten peninsula in norge however is nice and rovaniemi up north in finland as well.

and sorry to disapoint you, father christmas is living in finland...

enjoy your trip!

andrej
hi simsim

i think novecento is right. you should try to go further north or try maybe one of the small islands close to stockholm. i was in kiruna years ago and would not call it particularly sexy... the lofoten peninsula in norge however is nice and rovaniemi up north in finland as well.

and sorry to disapoint you, father christmas is living in finland...

enjoy your trip!

andrej
and70, Oct 3, 2008 @ 00:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
hmm, thanks. Some will be driving from ferry port in Goteburg though, and others flying from Stockholm and didn't want to exagerate the traveling...

Can't believe Father Christmas moved on me...

Want snow, but without being completely in the dark.

Thanks again for your comments, and to everyone that sends them to me offline. Really helps!

hmm, thanks. Some will be driving from ferry port in Goteburg though, and others flying from Stockholm and didn't want to exagerate the traveling...

Can't believe Father Christmas moved on me...

Want snow, but without being completely in the dark.

Thanks again for your comments, and to everyone that sends them to me offline. Really helps!
SimSim, Oct 3, 2008 @ 00:27

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Hi!

Have to agree with the two others... MUST go further up if u want to experience at least some what´s called winter-xmas-santa feeling. Especially that time of the year (thanks to global warming). Head app. 1000km north of Stockholm and you´ll discover the real lappland where the three countries (nor-swe-fin) share the arctic circle special atmosphere.

I was last year in finland jan-feb for 2weeks in a place called Levi and it was fabulous! within short distance you can also find the swedish resorts...check it out.

and btw if you want to stick to swedish plan google Åre (Are) definitely worth to check it out!
Hi!

Have to agree with the two others... MUST go further up if u want to experience at least some what´s called winter-xmas-santa feeling. Especially that time of the year (thanks to global warming). Head app. 1000km north of Stockholm and you´ll discover the real lappland where the three countries (nor-swe-fin) share the arctic circle special atmosphere.

I was last year in finland jan-feb for 2weeks in a place called Levi and it was fabulous! within short distance you can also find the swedish resorts...check it out.

and btw if you want to stick to swedish plan google Åre (Are) definitely worth to check it out!
Tloman, Oct 3, 2008 @ 00:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hi!

The nice thing about going further north is that it is true winter up there. In the Stockholm area (lived there for 10 years) it can be quite grey, not white. But it is nonetheless nice. You can search for some cabins at www.stuga.nu

Good luck, eller lycka till!! :)
Hi!

The nice thing about going further north is that it is true winter up there. In the Stockholm area (lived there for 10 years) it can be quite grey, not white. But it is nonetheless nice. You can search for some cabins at www.stuga.nu

Good luck, eller lycka till!! :)
Darkhorse, Oct 5, 2008 @ 15:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1003 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form