Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Sabbatical / backpacking in South America - what would you advice?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Sabbatical / backpacking in South America - what would you advice?
Dear Glocals,

Today i have got approval for my 6 month sabbatical starting from 1st December. YUPPPIII!!!

I am going to make my dream come true! and go to some of the countries of South America to experience the culture, life, get know the local people and traditions, learn Spanish and simply enjoy the life there!

The rough plan is: one month in Buenos Aires to learn Spanich in the school and hang around in buenos and surrundings after lessons and during the weekends. Then move towards other Spanish speaking countries Chile, Boliwia, Peru, Ecuador.... And maybe for dessert also visit Brasil (even though non-Spanish speaking ;-))

Could you please share your experience, give some suggestions, advice on:
- backpacking tips & tricks
- things - must to be taken
- flights Europe - South America and back
- transportation there (internal flights, public transport)
- places / things worth to visit and to do (I am very active and social person loving sports)
- your favourite place(s)
- lodging
- money, credit cards, documents
- safety and security (I am attractive blond girl - sorry for lack of modesty ;-)))
- culture awareness (what's considered as rude? what's polite?...)
- vaccinations, medical care (first aid kid)
- examples of prices
- Spanish schools in Buenos Aires
- Argentinian tango teachers recommendation in Bueno
- etc......

Every piece of advice will be very much appreciated.
You can post them here or write directly on [email protected]

Thanks a lot!!!!
Magique
- I am so excited.... I cannot hide it.... lalalalallalalla

The text you are quoting:
Dear Glocals,

Today i have got approval for my 6 month sabbatical starting from 1st December. YUPPPIII!!!

I am going to make my dream come true! and go to some of the countries of South America to experience the culture, life, get know the local people and traditions, learn Spanish and simply enjoy the life there!

The rough plan is: one month in Buenos Aires to learn Spanich in the school and hang around in buenos and surrundings after lessons and during the weekends. Then move towards other Spanish speaking countries Chile, Boliwia, Peru, Ecuador.... And maybe for dessert also visit Brasil (even though non-Spanish speaking ;-))

Could you please share your experience, give some suggestions, advice on:
- backpacking tips & tricks
- things - must to be taken
- flights Europe - South America and back
- transportation there (internal flights, public transport)
- places / things worth to visit and to do (I am very active and social person loving sports)
- your favourite place(s)
- lodging
- money, credit cards, documents
- safety and security (I am attractive blond girl - sorry for lack of modesty ;-)))
- culture awareness (what's considered as rude? what's polite?...)
- vaccinations, medical care (first aid kid)
- examples of prices
- Spanish schools in Buenos Aires
- Argentinian tango teachers recommendation in Bueno
- etc......

Every piece of advice will be very much appreciated.
You can post them here or write directly on [email protected]

Thanks a lot!!!!
Magique
- I am so excited.... I cannot hide it.... lalalalallalalla

MagiqueAug 18, 2009 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1630 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Sabbatical / backpacking in South America - what would you advice?
Post 1
 hmmmm... maybe the topic is to complex, but any small pieces of advice about any of South America countries will be appreciated.

One more question about climate and weather:
- What is the weather in which part of continent in those months Dec-May? (what are the rainy months?)
- is it better to start south and move north?

Thanks!
Magique
 hmmmm... maybe the topic is to complex, but any small pieces of advice about any of South America countries will be appreciated.

One more question about climate and weather:
- What is the weather in which part of continent in those months Dec-May? (what are the rainy months?)
- is it better to start south and move north?

Thanks!
Magique
Magique, Aug 26, 2009 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Sabbatical / backpacking in South America - what would you advice?
Post 2
Hi,

Did South America last winter Nov to March ,started in Santiago Chile north through Bolivia,Peru then west along amazon into Brazil to Manus and north again into Venezuela flew out of Caracas.

Top tip get a Lonley Planet it will answer most of your questions......

I travelled alone ...is was great ...met some cool people...and travelled with people along the way.....but theres so many western people traveling round theres always some one around. 

with the months your travelling and the countries you mention you will see alsorts of weather - beach wear  to waterproofs so pack for this and if your going to any altitude you'll need warm clothes.........Cuzco,La Paz about 3.5 to 4 thousand meters above sea Level but check Bible (lonely planet S.A.)

copy all documents keep them somewhere safe o on a pen drive ..etc

Be aware but not unfriendly .....i had no problems...but did here stories....not always the locals that are the problem!

you may need yellow fever injection...and a copy of the fact you've had it done for some boarders

atms in most populated area ,i used visa and mastercard.
cash ...small bills not all together.

Chile easy to travel ....by bus ,staying hostels....again see the bible! i spent christmas there Iquique.....brilliant !!

Bolivia harder but worth it and very cheap!....Lake Titicaca and La Paz( i travelled with a group i met in a hostel ....they all had great Spanish)

Peru more like chile has a good tourist set up probably due to Macha Pichu and the Inca trail so easy enough

Didn't do Ecuador but met people who did and loved it .....

Well hope that helped, just remember its your trip ...find your own way...and take twice as much money as you think you'll need...and half as much of everything else .

Hi,

Did South America last winter Nov to March ,started in Santiago Chile north through Bolivia,Peru then west along amazon into Brazil to Manus and north again into Venezuela flew out of Caracas.

Top tip get a Lonley Planet it will answer most of your questions......

I travelled alone ...is was great ...met some cool people...and travelled with people along the way.....but theres so many western people traveling round theres always some one around. 

with the months your travelling and the countries you mention you will see alsorts of weather - beach wear  to waterproofs so pack for this and if your going to any altitude you'll need warm clothes.........Cuzco,La Paz about 3.5 to 4 thousand meters above sea Level but check Bible (lonely planet S.A.)

copy all documents keep them somewhere safe o on a pen drive ..etc

Be aware but not unfriendly .....i had no problems...but did here stories....not always the locals that are the problem!

you may need yellow fever injection...and a copy of the fact you've had it done for some boarders

atms in most populated area ,i used visa and mastercard.
cash ...small bills not all together.

Chile easy to travel ....by bus ,staying hostels....again see the bible! i spent christmas there Iquique.....brilliant !!

Bolivia harder but worth it and very cheap!....Lake Titicaca and La Paz( i travelled with a group i met in a hostel ....they all had great Spanish)

Peru more like chile has a good tourist set up probably due to Macha Pichu and the Inca trail so easy enough

Didn't do Ecuador but met people who did and loved it .....

Well hope that helped, just remember its your trip ...find your own way...and take twice as much money as you think you'll need...and half as much of everything else .

newexpat, Aug 26, 2009 @ 14:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1630 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form