Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Shanghai and Ho chi minh city

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Shanghai and Ho chi minh city
Hi everyone,

Im heading to Shanghai for a week or so and then on to Ho chi minh city for another week.

Any advice on places to see, things to do in both places?

Thanks in advance
The text you are quoting:
Hi everyone,

Im heading to Shanghai for a week or so and then on to Ho chi minh city for another week.

Any advice on places to see, things to do in both places?

Thanks in advance
LebowskiJun 2, 2009 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1992 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Shanghai and Ho chi minh city
Post 1

Hi

Can't say anything about Shanghai, but I spent 3 days in Ho Chi Minh in January and enjoyed it. I was staying in a district popular with backpackers, but can't remember the name of it though my hostel was the Yellow House hotel. The area is packed with restaurants, shops and travel/tour agents. In my short time managed to visit the Mekong delta and the Chu Chi tunnels bordering Cambodia.

Rudi

Hi

Can't say anything about Shanghai, but I spent 3 days in Ho Chi Minh in January and enjoyed it. I was staying in a district popular with backpackers, but can't remember the name of it though my hostel was the Yellow House hotel. The area is packed with restaurants, shops and travel/tour agents. In my short time managed to visit the Mekong delta and the Chu Chi tunnels bordering Cambodia.

Rudi
Rudi79, Jun 2, 2009 @ 16:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
HCMC aka Saigon is a great place, until midnight when the fun police come and shut everything down!  Watch the rickshaw driver who will try to rip you off.  The Presidential Palace is worth seeing, and of course the tunnels and the Delta.  But from the Delta it's best to move up to Cambodia rather than try and do it on a day trip. 
HCMC aka Saigon is a great place, until midnight when the fun police come and shut everything down!  Watch the rickshaw driver who will try to rip you off.  The Presidential Palace is worth seeing, and of course the tunnels and the Delta.  But from the Delta it's best to move up to Cambodia rather than try and do it on a day trip. 
tax_exile, Jun 2, 2009 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I lived in Shanghai for more than eight years and its an awesome city. If you arrive at Pudong Airport take the Maglev (magnetic levitation) train which gets you most of the way downtown in 8 minutes at 400+ KM/H. Xintiandi is the favorite for locals and tourists which is a dining establishment in old shikumen style in the middle of town. There are some great top end restaurants along the Bund and the Peace Hotel is also worth a look to get a feel for the glorious 1920's past. The Pudong Hyatt hotel offers amazing views from the 88th floor and the internal atrium is also something to behold. For more laid back nightlife try Hengshan Road (Sasha's is a nice old building that used to be occupied by Mao's wife). If you have the desire to go crazy in the wee hours head for Dongping road near the Portman. Taikang Road has a very intersting art scene with Bohemian restaurants (try the Commune). Lucky you, enjoy!!!
I lived in Shanghai for more than eight years and its an awesome city. If you arrive at Pudong Airport take the Maglev (magnetic levitation) train which gets you most of the way downtown in 8 minutes at 400+ KM/H. Xintiandi is the favorite for locals and tourists which is a dining establishment in old shikumen style in the middle of town. There are some great top end restaurants along the Bund and the Peace Hotel is also worth a look to get a feel for the glorious 1920's past. The Pudong Hyatt hotel offers amazing views from the 88th floor and the internal atrium is also something to behold. For more laid back nightlife try Hengshan Road (Sasha's is a nice old building that used to be occupied by Mao's wife). If you have the desire to go crazy in the wee hours head for Dongping road near the Portman. Taikang Road has a very intersting art scene with Bohemian restaurants (try the Commune). Lucky you, enjoy!!!
Zugoz, Jun 2, 2009 @ 21:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Thanks very much for the info

[quote]

Hi

Rudi[/quote]
Thanks very much for the info

[quote]

Hi

Rudi[/quote]
Lebowski, Jun 3, 2009 @ 12:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

Best regards,

David
Thanks to all of you for the great advice.

Best regards,

David

Lebowski, Jun 3, 2009 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
For Shanghai I confirm the suggestions... I lived almost one year there. You should go to a brunch in Sofitel (Nanjing lu) on Sunday (all you can eat for 20€, Champagne, foie gras, caviar... included). I recommend also teppanyaki (same thing all included for 15 to 20€ for Japanese food). And try once to eat something on the road (BBQ or dumplings... it's very good and very cheap, around 1€). And if you want to discover another place close to Shanghai go either to Suzhou or Hangzhou... it's a typical Chinese place (1 or 2 hours of train from SOuth Station I think).

Enjoy!

For Shanghai I confirm the suggestions... I lived almost one year there. You should go to a brunch in Sofitel (Nanjing lu) on Sunday (all you can eat for 20€, Champagne, foie gras, caviar... included). I recommend also teppanyaki (same thing all included for 15 to 20€ for Japanese food). And try once to eat something on the road (BBQ or dumplings... it's very good and very cheap, around 1€). And if you want to discover another place close to Shanghai go either to Suzhou or Hangzhou... it's a typical Chinese place (1 or 2 hours of train from SOuth Station I think).

Enjoy!
emiliefaye, Jun 3, 2009 @ 15:23

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

The BUND, Nanjing Road, Yuyuan Garden, XinTianDi, Shanghai Museum (I really enjoyed the museum), Huangpu River Cruise, Hangzhou if you have one full day, Starbucks ;-) for some decent coffee.

Maglev train is cool but depending on where your hotel is located, it is not too convenient. It's quite expensive too. The cheapest is the airport buses but it's not easy to find the right one to the right stop in the city. Or take the taxi. Have some important address written in Chinese as English is not spoken by the older generation.

If you take the subway, be prepared to be squeezed like sardines and pushed around. Buy the prepaid card for convenience. This card can be used to pay for subway, bus and taxi.

And don't "eat somethign on the road" ;-) but do try the some of the roadside hawker food. Take only the ones that are cooked/boiled on the spot.

Have fun!

The BUND, Nanjing Road, Yuyuan Garden, XinTianDi, Shanghai Museum (I really enjoyed the museum), Huangpu River Cruise, Hangzhou if you have one full day, Starbucks ;-) for some decent coffee.

Maglev train is cool but depending on where your hotel is located, it is not too convenient. It's quite expensive too. The cheapest is the airport buses but it's not easy to find the right one to the right stop in the city. Or take the taxi. Have some important address written in Chinese as English is not spoken by the older generation.

If you take the subway, be prepared to be squeezed like sardines and pushed around. Buy the prepaid card for convenience. This card can be used to pay for subway, bus and taxi.

And don't "eat somethign on the road" ;-) but do try the some of the roadside hawker food. Take only the ones that are cooked/boiled on the spot.

Have fun!
Novecento, Jun 3, 2009 @ 22:42

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Thanks for that!
Thanks for that!
Lebowski, Jun 4, 2009 @ 13:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Awesome advice! I might spend some time in Shanghai this summer, in a serviced flat, or exchanging my flat here in Geneva for a flat there, and am also looking for tips. Guess the weather will be very warm in July and August? Also, there is the World Expo 2010.

Awesome advice! I might spend some time in Shanghai this summer, in a serviced flat, or exchanging my flat here in Geneva for a flat there, and am also looking for tips. Guess the weather will be very warm in July and August? Also, there is the World Expo 2010.

Nadia S, Mar 21, 2010 @ 22:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Guess this is an old thread i am picking up. I am from Shanghai, if anyone who needs advice, just drop me a message. I also wonder how many Shanghainese are living in Geneva? Would be happy to know each other, there are not many Chinese persons though. Look forward to knowing some Shanghainese :-)

Guess this is an old thread i am picking up. I am from Shanghai, if anyone who needs advice, just drop me a message. I also wonder how many Shanghainese are living in Geneva? Would be happy to know each other, there are not many Chinese persons though. Look forward to knowing some Shanghainese :-)

Jessica G, Apr 19, 2014 @ 23:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1992 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form