Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Small Mountain Village - No Skiing

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Small Mountain Village - No Skiing

Hi there - looking to get away some tmie over the coming holidays with the family.  Looking for small village in Alps but without skiiing.  Some place that is beautiful, lots of snow where we can go on walks/sledding but not mobbed with thousands of skiiers.  Any suggestions?  thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hi there - looking to get away some tmie over the coming holidays with the family.  Looking for small village in Alps but without skiiing.  Some place that is beautiful, lots of snow where we can go on walks/sledding but not mobbed with thousands of skiiers.  Any suggestions?  thanks!

Steve BasslerDec 6, 2017 @ 19:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1534 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Small Mountain Village - No Skiing
Post 1

Wengen would be a good choice with many walking/snow shoe trails.

https://wengen.ch/en/winter/

I stayed at the Hotel Belvedere last winter which I can highly recommend. The hotel will pick you up at the train station with an electric golf cart as cars are not allowed in the resort.

http://www.belvedere-wengen.ch/en

Karin

Wengen would be a good choice with many walking/snow shoe trails.

https://wengen.ch/en/winter/

I stayed at the Hotel Belvedere last winter which I can highly recommend. The hotel will pick you up at the train station with an electric golf cart as cars are not allowed in the resort.

http://www.belvedere-wengen.ch/en

Karin

Karin E, Dec 7, 2017 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Karin, do you mean the Wengen ski resort? The Belvedere is indeed a very nice hotel, and it offers a discount on ski rentals.

Hi Steve. When and where have you been mobbed by skiiers? Not in the Alps, surely. Welcome to the civilized world. Let me assure you that you are not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Hi Karin, do you mean the Wengen ski resort? The Belvedere is indeed a very nice hotel, and it offers a discount on ski rentals.

Hi Steve. When and where have you been mobbed by skiiers? Not in the Alps, surely. Welcome to the civilized world. Let me assure you that you are not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

JR M, Dec 7, 2017 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yes, JR, Wengen: it is indeed a ski resort but also is very non-skier friendly. I do ski but spent a week in December 2016 in Wengen without skiing as there was not a lot of snow. 

JR is quite right Steve, I have been skiing in Switzerland and in France since 2009 and have never seen over-crowded sloaps.

Karin

Yes, JR, Wengen: it is indeed a ski resort but also is very non-skier friendly. I do ski but spent a week in December 2016 in Wengen without skiing as there was not a lot of snow. 

JR is quite right Steve, I have been skiing in Switzerland and in France since 2009 and have never seen over-crowded sloaps.

Karin

Karin E, Dec 7, 2017 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I agree about Wengen. Like Murren, it is very quaint and charming. No cars, plenty to do for non-skiers. I skied quite a bit in US resorts, and especially in California, skiiers, young ones, in particular, can be quite... intrusive, to put it kindly. And it gets crowded, not only in the slopes, but in the resorts. I have not found that to be the case in any of the resorts I have been to here. Well, Zermatt (the village) can get a bit crowded, though out on the mountain(s) there is still plenty of slopes for non-skiers.

Maybe I just have been lucky. Though I suspect it has to do with the culture.

If you must be away from skiiers, Steve, try Abondance in France. There are many quaint villages in the Swiss and French Alps, but easy access and hotels and villas for rent are easier to find where there is infrastructure for skiing.

I must say, the area around Wengen and Lauterbrunnen is truly spectacular.

I agree about Wengen. Like Murren, it is very quaint and charming. No cars, plenty to do for non-skiers. I skied quite a bit in US resorts, and especially in California, skiiers, young ones, in particular, can be quite... intrusive, to put it kindly. And it gets crowded, not only in the slopes, but in the resorts. I have not found that to be the case in any of the resorts I have been to here. Well, Zermatt (the village) can get a bit crowded, though out on the mountain(s) there is still plenty of slopes for non-skiers.

Maybe I just have been lucky. Though I suspect it has to do with the culture.

If you must be away from skiiers, Steve, try Abondance in France. There are many quaint villages in the Swiss and French Alps, but easy access and hotels and villas for rent are easier to find where there is infrastructure for skiing.

I must say, the area around Wengen and Lauterbrunnen is truly spectacular.

JR M, Dec 7, 2017 @ 13:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

The New York Times agrees with Karin:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/travel/looking-for-the-sublime-its-in-this-swiss-valley.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

You can stay in Wengen, Gimmelwald or Mürren, which are accessible by cable car.

The New York Times agrees with Karin:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/travel/looking-for-the-sublime-its-in-this-swiss-valley.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

You can stay in Wengen, Gimmelwald or Mürren, which are accessible by cable car.

JR M, Dec 8, 2017 @ 09:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank you both for your detailed replies and insights.  Checking them out now!

Thank you both for your detailed replies and insights.  Checking them out now!

Steve Bassler, Dec 8, 2017 @ 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1534 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form