Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Suggestions required on visiting Amsterdam !

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Suggestions required on visiting Amsterdam !

Hi! Planning to go to Amsterdam *Alone* - short 2 days trip. Any advice on must see/do on top of what Tripadvisor suggests ?

Any special advice from the locals? Maybe 2 days is too short??

Many thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hi! Planning to go to Amsterdam *Alone* - short 2 days trip. Any advice on must see/do on top of what Tripadvisor suggests ?

Any special advice from the locals? Maybe 2 days is too short??

Many thanks!

Dinesh VMay 18, 2015 @ 13:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1618 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Suggestions required on visiting Amsterdam !
Post 1

Thank you Lisa !

Maybe i will take one more day and a companion along with to explore the city !

Thank you Lisa !

Maybe i will take one more day and a companion along with to explore the city !

Dinesh V, May 18, 2015 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello Dinesh,

Don't know what is suggested in Tripadvisor but I would recommend you to buy a combined "Hop on hop off" bus tour with 90 min boat canal cruise. With the bus you can reach out the most famous places and make a stop there if you would like to (I would advise to see Van Gogh museum since it's rather small and normally has no queue for tickets but still very nice). A boat cruise will give you another perspective for the city view and atmosphere. All this you can do during the day hours and then later in the evening/night you can of course visit the city center and Red Light district on foot. For the first visit of Amsterdam I believe you will be full of impressions :-)

Enjoy your trip to Amsterdam!

Anna.

Hello Dinesh,

Don't know what is suggested in Tripadvisor but I would recommend you to buy a combined "Hop on hop off" bus tour with 90 min boat canal cruise. With the bus you can reach out the most famous places and make a stop there if you would like to (I would advise to see Van Gogh museum since it's rather small and normally has no queue for tickets but still very nice). A boat cruise will give you another perspective for the city view and atmosphere. All this you can do during the day hours and then later in the evening/night you can of course visit the city center and Red Light district on foot. For the first visit of Amsterdam I believe you will be full of impressions :-)

Anna.

Anna P, May 18, 2015 @ 18:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hello Dinesh,

Anna.

May 18, 15 18:35

Thanks for the info Anna,

You gave me some detailed thought about this trip ! Appreciate your help.

I'm now looking for someone to join me for this trip, if someone is interested ! :) ;) 

Thanks for the info Anna,

You gave me some detailed thought about this trip ! Appreciate your help.

I'm now looking for someone to join me for this trip, if someone is interested ! :) ;) 

Dinesh V, May 18, 2015 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I haven't read the trip advisor forum, but for a 2 day whirlwind tour my choices are:

1. Anne Frank House, near city centre, (because it's in its original state and interesting to walk around, more so if you read "The diary of Anne Frank" beforehand. Best to  Buy tickets online beforehand are cheaper and  have a queue-jumping option. Anne Frank House is in the Jordaan quarter, have a walk around and enjoy the magnificent architecture of the canal side houses, stop at a café and people watch. 

2. The Keukenhoff, outside Amsterdam. Tulips as far as the eye can see (well, that's how I remember it from 30 years ago) every colour you can think of, best to visit in May or June.

3. The 90 minute canal trip is interesting, informative and a good way to relax and take in the city at the same time. A must do.

4. Red light area. Find out for yourself.

The Dam Square , (tourist hangout) and Royal Palace. Leidseplein for restaurants, nightlife. 

Depending on what floats your boat there are so many museums, old churches, achitectural delights.....Enjoy your trip. 

I haven't read the trip advisor forum, but for a 2 day whirlwind tour my choices are:

1. Anne Frank House, near city centre, (because it's in its original state and interesting to walk around, more so if you read "The diary of Anne Frank" beforehand. Best to  Buy tickets online beforehand are cheaper and  have a queue-jumping option. Anne Frank House is in the Jordaan quarter, have a walk around and enjoy the magnificent architecture of the canal side houses, stop at a café and people watch. 

2. The Keukenhoff, outside Amsterdam. Tulips as far as the eye can see (well, that's how I remember it from 30 years ago) every colour you can think of, best to visit in May or June.

3. The 90 minute canal trip is interesting, informative and a good way to relax and take in the city at the same time. A must do.

4. Red light area. Find out for yourself.

The Dam Square , (tourist hangout) and Royal Palace. Leidseplein for restaurants, nightlife. 

Depending on what floats your boat there are so many museums, old churches, achitectural delights.....Enjoy your trip. 

Shirley T, Jun 1, 2015 @ 21:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hit the Coffee Shop Kapinsky in Roken. Get some white widow....it'll blow your head off. 

Hit the Coffee Shop Kapinsky in Roken. Get some white widow....it'll blow your head off. 

Sam I, Jun 5, 2015 @ 14:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The Bulldog café serve a really nice cake and coffee. A dutch speciality, dońt leave Amsterdam without trying it.

The Bulldog café serve a really nice cake and coffee. A dutch speciality, dońt leave Amsterdam without trying it.

Shirley T, Jun 5, 2015 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1618 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form