Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Travel partner needed - next few weeks

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Travel partner needed - next few weeks

Hi, I have the next few weeks here (currently in Geneva), and I'd like to spend the time seeing as many things as possible. (that is, locally as well as Switzerland and Europe) Problem is, I don't have much experience traveling, and I have no idea how to go about this. I would have planned more in advance, but this was unexpected. So, I think I need a travel buddy. I think a group of 2 would be best, because it might be difficult to find cheap accommodation for a larger group.

Some characteristics of my travel buddy:
- Fairly knowledgeable about traveling in Europe (because I have no idea, I'm an American)
- On a budget, like me (I'm a student)
- More inclined toward adventurous travel/alternative lifestyle. (that is, not just tour buses) So, maybe this would be a person around my age (25) but this is not mandatory.
- Maybe someone that knows some German, because I don't. (But it might not be needed, I don't know.)
- I tend to get along better with males for some reason, but maybe it would be easier for a group of 2 females to find a couch or something.
- If you have a car, I'll contribute to gas costs.

Locally:
- Mt. Saleve (I know there's a guided tour on Sundays but we don't have to wait till then)
- open to more suggestions

In Switzerland:
- Zurich and the Alps (Interlaken?)
- open to suggestions

In Europe:
- Amsterdam (to try the space cake, lol)
- Vienna, maybe?
- open to suggestions

Please also let me know if there are other websites more suited to this purpose, I'd appreciate those comments as well. Or if you have a trip I can go on.

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I have the next few weeks here (currently in Geneva), and I'd like to spend the time seeing as many things as possible. (that is, locally as well as Switzerland and Europe) Problem is, I don't have much experience traveling, and I have no idea how to go about this. I would have planned more in advance, but this was unexpected. So, I think I need a travel buddy. I think a group of 2 would be best, because it might be difficult to find cheap accommodation for a larger group.

Some characteristics of my travel buddy:
- Fairly knowledgeable about traveling in Europe (because I have no idea, I'm an American)
- On a budget, like me (I'm a student)
- More inclined toward adventurous travel/alternative lifestyle. (that is, not just tour buses) So, maybe this would be a person around my age (25) but this is not mandatory.
- Maybe someone that knows some German, because I don't. (But it might not be needed, I don't know.)
- I tend to get along better with males for some reason, but maybe it would be easier for a group of 2 females to find a couch or something.
- If you have a car, I'll contribute to gas costs.

Locally:
- Mt. Saleve (I know there's a guided tour on Sundays but we don't have to wait till then)
- open to more suggestions

In Switzerland:
- Zurich and the Alps (Interlaken?)
- open to suggestions

In Europe:
- Amsterdam (to try the space cake, lol)
- Vienna, maybe?
- open to suggestions

Please also let me know if there are other websites more suited to this purpose, I'd appreciate those comments as well. Or if you have a trip I can go on.

Sylvia CJun 16, 2014 @ 10:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 2085 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Travel partner needed - next few weeks
Post 1

There are lots of tours posted such as this one:

http://www.contiki.com/destinations/europe/tours/114-european-experience

(this is just an example, not necessarily what I'd want)

But I'm guessing it would be cheaper to just follow the path of the tour, use public transport, and book accommodation myself? Anyone have an idea of approximately how much cheaper it would be? Thanks in advance.

There are lots of tours posted such as this one:

http://www.contiki.com/destinations/europe/tours/114-european-experience

(this is just an example, not necessarily what I'd want)

But I'm guessing it would be cheaper to just follow the path of the tour, use public transport, and book accommodation myself? Anyone have an idea of approximately how much cheaper it would be? Thanks in advance.

Sylvia C, Jun 18, 2014 @ 12:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Just to clarify, most of the responses I've been getting are from people who are only available on weekends. I was kind of hoping for someone with a fairly long stretch of availability (like me), maybe a student on leave or something? The reason is that I was envisioning a big loop perhaps, starting and ending in Geneva, sort of like one of those tours, as opposed to going somewhere, and coming back to Geneva, then going somewhere else, etc.

Just to clarify, most of the responses I've been getting are from people who are only available on weekends. I was kind of hoping for someone with a fairly long stretch of availability (like me), maybe a student on leave or something? The reason is that I was envisioning a big loop perhaps, starting and ending in Geneva, sort of like one of those tours, as opposed to going somewhere, and coming back to Geneva, then going somewhere else, etc.

Sylvia C, Jun 18, 2014 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Any tentative dates in mind ?

Any tentative dates in mind ?

Ejaz Bawasa, Jun 18, 2014 @ 20:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

As a suggestion, you can do Amsterdam and London in a day. Basic stuff but you wont need hotels and easyjet tickets are cheap. i have done them both

As a suggestion, you can do Amsterdam and London in a day. Basic stuff but you wont need hotels and easyjet tickets are cheap. i have done them both

Maria_, Jun 19, 2014 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

As far as tentative dates, I'd want to start as soon as I can (but I still need to pack). Don't get me wrong, I like Geneva but I want to see other places too. Basically, the idea is that I've never been to Europe before, and I'm assuming I won't have a chance to return, so I want to see all the major stuff.

Some of the things that I need help with:

- which cities

- how many days in each city, what to do

- route/mode of transportation

- depending on the previous criteria, how long would it be expected to take? 

As far as tentative dates, I'd want to start as soon as I can (but I still need to pack). Don't get me wrong, I like Geneva but I want to see other places too. Basically, the idea is that I've never been to Europe before, and I'm assuming I won't have a chance to return, so I want to see all the major stuff.

Some of the things that I need help with:

- which cities

- how many days in each city, what to do

- route/mode of transportation

- depending on the previous criteria, how long would it be expected to take? 

Sylvia C, Jun 20, 2014 @ 08:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jun 19, 14 09:36

Do you use the hostels? Also, would it be better to take ground transportation, in order to see the scenery? 

Do you use the hostels? Also, would it be better to take ground transportation, in order to see the scenery? 

Sylvia C, Jun 20, 2014 @ 09:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Jun 20, 14 09:07

Not at all. First easujet flight out from geneva airport in the morning, last flight back at night.

That gives you plenty of time to do the major stuff. In Amsterdam i had enough time to do the major museums and go for a boat trip before i had to go back. I took the train from the airport and just was on foot the whole time. i dont do space cakes or coffee shops so i dont know how those will affect you on time. 

As for London same thing to Gatwick airport and then use the tube to move around

Not at all. First easujet flight out from geneva airport in the morning, last flight back at night.

That gives you plenty of time to do the major stuff. In Amsterdam i had enough time to do the major museums and go for a boat trip before i had to go back. I took the train from the airport and just was on foot the whole time. i dont do space cakes or coffee shops so i dont know how those will affect you on time. 

As for London same thing to Gatwick airport and then use the tube to move around

Maria_, Jun 20, 2014 @ 09:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Jun 19, 14 09:36

Yes, a day is sufficient if you want to do it like a Chinese tourist who only has time to take a few pictures. In Amsterdam you can easily spend 3 days if you want to see things properly. However if she goes just for spacecake, then she can just bake some here herself, which is much cheaper and far less time consuming.

Yes, a day is sufficient if you want to do it like a Chinese tourist who only has time to take a few pictures. In Amsterdam you can easily spend 3 days if you want to see things properly. However if she goes just for spacecake, then she can just bake some here herself, which is much cheaper and far less time consuming.

ThomasNL, Jun 20, 2014 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jun 20, 14 10:07

You are absolutely right. London needs a week even :) For a day trip you need to choose 2-3 things  and stick to that.

You are absolutely right. London needs a week even :) For a day trip you need to choose 2-3 things  and stick to that.

Maria_, Jun 20, 2014 @ 10:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Thanks for the tips. The trip itself doesn't need to be that short, my availability is more or less open. It just would be nice to get started soon. Clearly, the spacecake comment was a joke, of course that's not the only reason for going.

I'm still looking for opportunities, you can send a private message. If you're planning to travel soon anyway and wouldn't mind a female companion to split costs. (lodging, and car if used) Especially if you're going to see the rest of Switzerland, or major cities in Italy, or maybe Paris and/or London. Everyone who's responded so far has already been to those places. 

Also, I'd appreciate people's opinions on the following: a tourist shouldn't leave Europe without seeing ____ (fill in the blank)

Thanks for the tips. The trip itself doesn't need to be that short, my availability is more or less open. It just would be nice to get started soon. Clearly, the spacecake comment was a joke, of course that's not the only reason for going.

I'm still looking for opportunities, you can send a private message. If you're planning to travel soon anyway and wouldn't mind a female companion to split costs. (lodging, and car if used) Especially if you're going to see the rest of Switzerland, or major cities in Italy, or maybe Paris and/or London. Everyone who's responded so far has already been to those places. 

Also, I'd appreciate people's opinions on the following: a tourist shouldn't leave Europe without seeing ____ (fill in the blank)

Sylvia C, Jun 26, 2014 @ 03:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 2085 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form