Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Travel to Stockholm

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Travel to Stockholm
Hello,

I travelled to Stockholm several years ago and I really enjoyed it. So, I intend to get back to this city during 4 days this summer.

Could a Swede tell me if it's better to go there in June or August ? Is there any event I should not miss ???

Tack,

Fab

The text you are quoting:
Hello,

I travelled to Stockholm several years ago and I really enjoyed it. So, I intend to get back to this city during 4 days this summer.

Could a Swede tell me if it's better to go there in June or August ? Is there any event I should not miss ???

Tack,

Fab
Fab75Apr 22, 2009 @ 22:39

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1401 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Travel to Stockholm
Post 1
[quote][b]

Fab75 (22/04/2009)[/b]

Itravelled toStockholm several years ago and I really enjoyed it. So, Iintend togetback to this city during 4 days this summer.

[/quote]

Well, you are certainly doing the right thing by not even considering July. That's when 30% of Stockholm closes for the summer. Picking between June and August depends on which party you prefer: in June you have midsummer; in August you have crayfish parties. It's a tough one... I personally would go with the crayfish.
[quote][b]

Fab75 (22/04/2009)[/b]

Itravelled toStockholm several years ago and I really enjoyed it. So, Iintend togetback to this city during 4 days this summer.

[/quote]

Well, you are certainly doing the right thing by not even considering July. That's when 30% of Stockholm closes for the summer. Picking between June and August depends on which party you prefer: in June you have midsummer; in August you have crayfish parties. It's a tough one... I personally would go with the crayfish.

hayes, Apr 22, 2009 @ 23:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I agree that you should avoid July if visiting Stockholm, better then to visit one of the major holiday destinations if going in July - like Gotland, Oland or Vastkusten (the west coast).

I would choose June, loads of people still in town, if you go at Midsummer time you can join any midsummer celebrations (i'm sure tourist information can tell you where they take place close to where you are), just bring picnic and a blanket to whatever park you go to.

The crayfish parties are fun, but not so public, they go on for more or less all of August but its mostly a thing between friends in someone's house so unless you know some swedish people chances might be slim you are invited.. :)

I haven't lived in Sweden for a few years now but I think the following bars are worth a visit:

Gondolen for the superb cocktails and views (apart from here if you're not loaded stay away from expensive cocktails and drink beer/wine instead).

Berns - Bar, restaurant, night club. Go here for the night club bit

East - good Bar at "Stureplan" the place Stockholm wants to see and be seen.

If you want quirky and friendly I'd go to Sodermalm and wonder around in the area of Asogatan, Bondegatan and Skanegatan and stop at any restaurant and bar you fancy. Also some cool boutiques etc in this area.

Have fun!

I agree that you should avoid July if visiting Stockholm, better then to visit one of the major holiday destinations if going in July - like Gotland, Oland or Vastkusten (the west coast).

I would choose June, loads of people still in town, if you go at Midsummer time you can join any midsummer celebrations (i'm sure tourist information can tell you where they take place close to where you are), just bring picnic and a blanket to whatever park you go to.

The crayfish parties are fun, but not so public, they go on for more or less all of August but its mostly a thing between friends in someone's house so unless you know some swedish people chances might be slim you are invited.. :)

I haven't lived in Sweden for a few years now but I think the following bars are worth a visit:

Gondolen for the superb cocktails and views (apart from here if you're not loaded stay away from expensive cocktails and drink beer/wine instead).

Berns - Bar, restaurant, night club. Go here for the night club bit

East - good Bar at "Stureplan" the place Stockholm wants to see and be seen.

If you want quirky and friendly I'd go to Sodermalm and wonder around in the area of Asogatan, Bondegatan and Skanegatan and stop at any restaurant and bar you fancy. Also some cool boutiques etc in this area.

Have fun!
MariaGabriel, Apr 27, 2009 @ 10:38

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Definitely in June - longest days, shortest nights, statisticly dry and sunny weather !

And at that time Stockolm is full of pulse - locals & students still around, and the tourists have arrived.

Volvo Ocean Race is making a stopover in Stockholm June 14-25.  www.oceanracestockholm.se/en/

A day cruise Stockholm - Mariehamn for less than CHF5 return trip. Watching the archipelago passing by from the top deck of these hugh ferryboats gives you a feeling of heliocopter flying between the islands!  www.vikingline.se/Pages/aland_fran_stockholm/kryssningar_resor/dagskryssning.asp

And Stockholm is in-line friendly - when I am there I go for 2-3hr tours in the city.

Definitely in June - longest days, shortest nights, statisticly dry and sunny weather !

And at that time Stockolm is full of pulse - locals & students still around, and the tourists have arrived.

Volvo Ocean Race is making a stopover in Stockholm June 14-25.  www.oceanracestockholm.se/en/

A day cruise Stockholm - Mariehamn for less than CHF5 return trip. Watching the archipelago passing by from the top deck of these hugh ferryboats gives you a feeling of heliocopter flying between the islands!  www.vikingline.se/Pages/aland_fran_stockholm/kryssningar_resor/dagskryssning.asp

And Stockholm is in-line friendly - when I am there I go for 2-3hr tours in the city.
haegar, Apr 27, 2009 @ 15:40

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
One more link:

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/To-Do/

One more link:

http://beta.stockholmtown.com/en/To-Do/
haegar, Apr 27, 2009 @ 15:53

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Thank you very much for your advices !

I have decided to go there for Midsummer.

Thank you very much for your advices !

I have decided to go there for Midsummer.
Fab75, May 3, 2009 @ 13:22

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hi guys,

I'm using this opportunity to ask you if Stockholm is really soooooo expensive as somebody told me?

I'm thinking to go end of September for spending the birthday we of my step father there with my sisters and my mum so will need infos about 3* hotels or charming B&B and restaurants.

Can you help me please?

Hi guys,

I'm using this opportunity to ask you if Stockholm is really soooooo expensive as somebody told me?

I'm thinking to go end of September for spending the birthday we of my step father there with my sisters and my mum so will need infos about 3* hotels or charming B&B and restaurants.

Can you help me please?
Sandra, May 3, 2009 @ 16:03

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1401 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form