Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > Visiting the Florida Keys - Any suggestions?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Visiting the Florida Keys - Any suggestions?
 Hi there,
I'm heading over to spend a couple of weeks in South Florida and will be visiting the Keys. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay, what to see ?? .....

I'm travelling on a tight budget so please keep that in mind.

Look forward to reading your suggestions and recommendations!!!

Many thanks and best wishes
Paul
The text you are quoting:
 Hi there,
I'm heading over to spend a couple of weeks in South Florida and will be visiting the Keys. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay, what to see ?? .....

I'm travelling on a tight budget so please keep that in mind.

Look forward to reading your suggestions and recommendations!!!

Many thanks and best wishes
Paul

Paul_DoubleAug 18, 2009 @ 02:13
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2000 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Visiting the Florida Keys - Any suggestions?
Post 1
 Do you have a base 'camp' yet? There is a large area here that can be covered, will you have access to a car or motorcycle?

I know this area well, and will be there tomorrow, but it is a matter of what you have available to what the answer can be. The area is VAST, 100's of km from one point to another sometimes.
 Do you have a base 'camp' yet? There is a large area here that can be covered, will you have access to a car or motorcycle?

I know this area well, and will be there tomorrow, but it is a matter of what you have available to what the answer can be. The area is VAST, 100's of km from one point to another sometimes.

StephenSQL, Aug 18, 2009 @ 08:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Also....when will you be going? The time of year can make a little difference as well. if going now, pack light, you won't want to be wearing many clothes, just watch out for the mosquitos!
 Also....when will you be going? The time of year can make a little difference as well. if going now, pack light, you won't want to be wearing many clothes, just watch out for the mosquitos!

StephenSQL, Aug 18, 2009 @ 08:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Hi, I'm visiting 1st to 12th Sept - flying into Miami, staying South Beach for a couple of days, have a friend in Naples that I'll speand the long weekend with and the rest is an open plan. Don't have a mode of transport other than Amtrak or Greyhound.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on good places to go that avoid the tourist traps - I enjoying living a place rather than just seeing it.
Thanks for your comments
Cheers, Paul
 Hi, I'm visiting 1st to 12th Sept - flying into Miami, staying South Beach for a couple of days, have a friend in Naples that I'll speand the long weekend with and the rest is an open plan. Don't have a mode of transport other than Amtrak or Greyhound.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions on good places to go that avoid the tourist traps - I enjoying living a place rather than just seeing it.
Thanks for your comments
Cheers, Paul
Paul_Double, Aug 19, 2009 @ 03:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Compared to Switzerland of course the area is huge, but I think with a borrowed, or rented car, or clever timing of buses/trains, you'll be able to cover most of the bottom of the state as day trips or single overnight trips.

I would suggest renting a car, or borrowing one, and driving from the
East to West coast (or vice versa). Take the slower route, called
Alligator Alley, and stop along the way or take side roads into the
Everglades. There are some nice walks into the Everglades, or run them if the mosquitoes chase you.

Cars are very cheap to rent - check the comparison sites likes kayak or the bidding one like priceline. There is huge demand for rental cars there so the prices are low, even around $20 per day.

Other things in Florida is the middle swampy area (Disney) and Cape Canaveral is worth seeing if you can get up there.

In terms of the Keys, Key West (aka the Conch Republic) is very unique and the drive down highway 1 is great. Along the way there are some beaches, tacky restaurants, nature preserves, etc. I go down there for fishing, which isn't cheap if you can't do it yourself. The cheapest way to try would be to go on a 1/2 day party boat, but I can't estimate the cost. 

-- the slogan of the Keys is "A drinking village with a fishing problem"

-- every SUV and truck is set up to tow boats, which sort of justifies their existence.

Enjoy!
Compared to Switzerland of course the area is huge, but I think with a borrowed, or rented car, or clever timing of buses/trains, you'll be able to cover most of the bottom of the state as day trips or single overnight trips.

I would suggest renting a car, or borrowing one, and driving from the
East to West coast (or vice versa). Take the slower route, called
Alligator Alley, and stop along the way or take side roads into the
Everglades. There are some nice walks into the Everglades, or run them if the mosquitoes chase you.

Cars are very cheap to rent - check the comparison sites likes kayak or the bidding one like priceline. There is huge demand for rental cars there so the prices are low, even around $20 per day.

Other things in Florida is the middle swampy area (Disney) and Cape Canaveral is worth seeing if you can get up there.

In terms of the Keys, Key West (aka the Conch Republic) is very unique and the drive down highway 1 is great. Along the way there are some beaches, tacky restaurants, nature preserves, etc. I go down there for fishing, which isn't cheap if you can't do it yourself. The cheapest way to try would be to go on a 1/2 day party boat, but I can't estimate the cost. 

-- the slogan of the Keys is "A drinking village with a fishing problem"

-- every SUV and truck is set up to tow boats, which sort of justifies their existence.

Enjoy!

psny, Aug 19, 2009 @ 08:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 sorry, a quick edit:

Alligator Alley is the fast way.  Take highway 41 between Naples and South Beach.
 sorry, a quick edit:

Alligator Alley is the fast way.  Take highway 41 between Naples and South Beach.

psny, Aug 19, 2009 @ 09:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
 ah - more is coming to mind - why is there no edit button?

In the keys, since you can only go up or down the road, the landmarks & towns are given my mile marker.  At MM 36 (36 miles from key west) there is bahia honda state park, which has tent camping, RVs, and cabins. http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/  It's popular so it might be hard to reserve a cabin, but it's a gorgeous property with minimal tackiness, which is unfortunately common in the Keys.

Watch out for hurricanes...  BUT in the Keys if the cone of the hurricane  passes to the side of your island, there are usually pretty wild hurricane parties.  The weather is still quite violent, though, so it's a unique experience that you may want to stay for.
 ah - more is coming to mind - why is there no edit button?

In the keys, since you can only go up or down the road, the landmarks & towns are given my mile marker.  At MM 36 (36 miles from key west) there is bahia honda state park, which has tent camping, RVs, and cabins. http://www.floridastateparks.org/bahiahonda/  It's popular so it might be hard to reserve a cabin, but it's a gorgeous property with minimal tackiness, which is unfortunately common in the Keys.

Watch out for hurricanes...  BUT in the Keys if the cone of the hurricane  passes to the side of your island, there are usually pretty wild hurricane parties.  The weather is still quite violent, though, so it's a unique experience that you may want to stay for.

psny, Aug 19, 2009 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
That's great info. Many thanks for that, much appreciated. Gives me some good ideas when I'm
down there and hopefully I'll catch a hurricane for a party ;-)Many thanks again
psny!!cheers, Paul
That's great info. Many thanks for that, much appreciated. Gives me some good ideas when I'm
down there and hopefully I'll catch a hurricane for a party ;-)Many thanks again
psny!!cheers, Paul
Paul_Double, Aug 19, 2009 @ 20:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2000 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form