Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Travel > kenya safari - any advice?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
kenya safari - any advice?
Hello,

I am planning a safari starting from Nairobi, Kenya at the beginning of July. I woulk like to visit Amboseli and Masai Mara. Does anyone know a good and reliable tour company that organizes these things (in English)?

Thanks a lot,
Stefi
The text you are quoting:
Hello,

I am planning a safari starting from Nairobi, Kenya at the beginning of July. I woulk like to visit Amboseli and Masai Mara. Does anyone know a good and reliable tour company that organizes these things (in English)?

Thanks a lot,
Stefi
stefiMar 28, 2007 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1351 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: kenya safari - any advice?
Post 1
I can’t recommend you a good safari company, but if you are around Nairobi, try to spend at least a night at Naivasha Lake Country Club, my dream hotel (you’ll find details on any good guidebook).
I can’t recommend you a good safari company, but if you are around Nairobi, try to spend at least a night at Naivasha Lake Country Club, my dream hotel (you’ll find details on any good guidebook).
Bustan_A, Mar 30, 2007 @ 15:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I plan to go on a safari the end of next week. I know it's last minute. I want to see the Masai Mara as well. Any information you can share?

[quote]Hello,

Thanks a lot,

Stefi[/quote]
I plan to go on a safari the end of next week. I know it's last minute. I want to see the Masai Mara as well. Any information you can share?

[quote]Hello,

Thanks a lot,

Stefi[/quote]
erin111, Aug 19, 2008 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Hi, I would contact member Brownshugah , she would have lots of advice on where to go.
Hi, I would contact member Brownshugah , she would have lots of advice on where to go.
britabroad, Aug 19, 2008 @ 17:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi,

I lived in Nairobi for two years and always used Let's Go Travel www.lets-go-travel.net/ They have an office in Nairobi city centre and one in ABC Place in Westlands. If you book something with them online, you will have to go in person to pay.

In the Masai Mara I stayed at the Explorer Camp which was fabulous, but one of the most expensive. A good alternative is Basecamp Explorer which claims to be eco-friendly. Try to book a package which includes safaris and a guide as it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

www.basecampexplorer.com/masaimara/

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I lived in Nairobi for two years and always used Let's Go Travel www.lets-go-travel.net/ They have an office in Nairobi city centre and one in ABC Place in Westlands. If you book something with them online, you will have to go in person to pay.

In the Masai Mara I stayed at the Explorer Camp which was fabulous, but one of the most expensive. A good alternative is Basecamp Explorer which claims to be eco-friendly. Try to book a package which includes safaris and a guide as it works out a lot cheaper in the long run.

www.basecampexplorer.com/masaimara/

Hope this helps.

swgva, Aug 19, 2008 @ 19:36

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Don't have any real advice, but check out these photos (and their locations in flickr) from my friend's visit in Kenya, which inspired me to go there as soon as possible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdcworks/sets/72157605796327598/
Don't have any real advice, but check out these photos (and their locations in flickr) from my friend's visit in Kenya, which inspired me to go there as soon as possible:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdcworks/sets/72157605796327598/
Rasputin, Aug 19, 2008 @ 19:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Awesome photo gallery there, Rasputin.

I am thinking on going on a safari. Two questions for folks who have safari experience...

- When is the best time of year to head for a safari? (good combination of weather and experience)

- Your recommendation on places to experience and for how long? (money is not an issue, open to Kenya and/or other countries)

Thanks in advance for any replies posted here or sent privately.

Awesome photo gallery there, Rasputin.

I am thinking on going on a safari. Two questions for folks who have safari experience...

- When is the best time of year to head for a safari? (good combination of weather and experience)

- Your recommendation on places to experience and for how long? (money is not an issue, open to Kenya and/or other countries)

Thanks in advance for any replies posted here or sent privately.
colorado, Aug 20, 2008 @ 17:21

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Colorado - to comment on some of your questions:

Some of the more well know safaris/nature reserves/game reserves are found in Kenya, South Africa and Botswana. The term "game reserve" covers more or less the idea of a large wildlife park that is fenced in and populated by the "big five" wild animals (from memory - elephants, lions, rhinos, giraffes and one more). The advantage of a game reserve is that you are more or less guaranteed to see the big animals.

In a more natural/open savannah setting, you might get lucky or you might not. It is a bit like the idea of natural v.s. pre-packaged. You will want to ask/understand which you are buying so you are not disappointed.

In terms of time of year to go, it depends on the open v.s. game park question. In the open situation the time of year is much more important. Isa mentioned the great migration that is taking place right now in Kenya - lots of animal movement. So timing there is important.

In any event, part of the experience that people like is the camp (which can be very luxurious) and the moving around in the vehicles in the early morning or evening. For most people, it seems to be the case that 2-3 days in a game reserve is the what they are looking for.

Hope that this helps.

Verbier
Colorado - to comment on some of your questions:

Some of the more well know safaris/nature reserves/game reserves are found in Kenya, South Africa and Botswana. The term "game reserve" covers more or less the idea of a large wildlife park that is fenced in and populated by the "big five" wild animals (from memory - elephants, lions, rhinos, giraffes and one more). The advantage of a game reserve is that you are more or less guaranteed to see the big animals.

In a more natural/open savannah setting, you might get lucky or you might not. It is a bit like the idea of natural v.s. pre-packaged. You will want to ask/understand which you are buying so you are not disappointed.

In terms of time of year to go, it depends on the open v.s. game park question. In the open situation the time of year is much more important. Isa mentioned the great migration that is taking place right now in Kenya - lots of animal movement. So timing there is important.

In any event, part of the experience that people like is the camp (which can be very luxurious) and the moving around in the vehicles in the early morning or evening. For most people, it seems to be the case that 2-3 days in a game reserve is the what they are looking for.

Hope that this helps.

Verbier
Verbier, Aug 21, 2008 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Unsure of Kenya. Did the northern circuit in Tanzania that included Manyara, Tarangire, Ngoronogoro Crater, Serengeti. Benefit of prive jeep is that you have space and are not squashed with 20+ others literally. They say not to plan around migration. I was lucky enough in June to make a shot and head to western serengeti and the migration had just begun in that area. Weather was perfect. Good luck. Wish I had an idea of company for Kenya for you.

Unsure of Kenya. Did the northern circuit in Tanzania that included Manyara, Tarangire, Ngoronogoro Crater, Serengeti. Benefit of prive jeep is that you have space and are not squashed with 20+ others literally. They say not to plan around migration. I was lucky enough in June to make a shot and head to western serengeti and the migration had just begun in that area. Weather was perfect. Good luck. Wish I had an idea of company for Kenya for you.

sunsh9, Sep 1, 2008 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1351 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form