Login or Sign Up

Forums in Zurich > Zurich > Wing chun workgroup in zurich

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Wing chun workgroup in zurich

Greutzi all :)

I'm not quite so new to Zurich any longer but am looking for people that are interested in learning Wing ChunKung Fu. I myself need some partners for my own training and want to form a little workgroup. 

Workgroup means that this is not meant to be or compete with a professional martial arts school, but instead should become a small and enthusiastic training group meeting on a no-fee basis. I am not a professional martial arts instructor, but I have been training Wing Chun for many years now and have completed a large part of the syllabus as well as having helped to teach where i last lived. 

The professional schools here teach quite a different "flavour" to the Wing Chun I learnt, which is the Wong Shun Leung lineage, passed on to me via Nino Bernardo and some of his students. I am not claiming one lineage is better than the other or anything like that, I am just keen to keep practicing the way I learnt it! 

The idea is to start with a small group of people training indoors at my place (too cold outside now!!), and then possibly move to a dedicated center if need be. 

For a little background info- Wing Chun is a chinese martial art, mainly concerned with punching, trapping and low kicks. As a beginner, you will start learning the first form, Siu Nim Tao (often translated as "Little Idea") and then progress to partner drills which in turn will bring you to doing Chi Sao (sticky hands), a free flow energy drill that lies at the core of the system. 
Subsequently the system introduces more forms, drills and footwork, which then can be practised in Chi Sao. 

There is also training with equipment like wall bags and the most iconic piece, the Wooden Dummy "Muk Yan Jong". 

Finally once you're an advanced student Wing Chun teaches two weapons, the Long Pole "Luk Dim Boon Kwan" and the Butterly Swords "Baat Jam Do". 

Wing Chun doesn't require much athleticism, and any adult can learn it and get fitter in the process. 

Please feel free to get in touch if you're interested or have any questions :)

G. 

The text you are quoting:

Greutzi all :)

I'm not quite so new to Zurich any longer but am looking for people that are interested in learning Wing ChunKung Fu. I myself need some partners for my own training and want to form a little workgroup. 

Workgroup means that this is not meant to be or compete with a professional martial arts school, but instead should become a small and enthusiastic training group meeting on a no-fee basis. I am not a professional martial arts instructor, but I have been training Wing Chun for many years now and have completed a large part of the syllabus as well as having helped to teach where i last lived. 

The professional schools here teach quite a different "flavour" to the Wing Chun I learnt, which is the Wong Shun Leung lineage, passed on to me via Nino Bernardo and some of his students. I am not claiming one lineage is better than the other or anything like that, I am just keen to keep practicing the way I learnt it! 

The idea is to start with a small group of people training indoors at my place (too cold outside now!!), and then possibly move to a dedicated center if need be. 

For a little background info- Wing Chun is a chinese martial art, mainly concerned with punching, trapping and low kicks. As a beginner, you will start learning the first form, Siu Nim Tao (often translated as "Little Idea") and then progress to partner drills which in turn will bring you to doing Chi Sao (sticky hands), a free flow energy drill that lies at the core of the system. 
Subsequently the system introduces more forms, drills and footwork, which then can be practised in Chi Sao. 

There is also training with equipment like wall bags and the most iconic piece, the Wooden Dummy "Muk Yan Jong". 

Finally once you're an advanced student Wing Chun teaches two weapons, the Long Pole "Luk Dim Boon Kwan" and the Butterly Swords "Baat Jam Do". 

Wing Chun doesn't require much athleticism, and any adult can learn it and get fitter in the process. 

Please feel free to get in touch if you're interested or have any questions :)

G. 

G___Nov 22, 2012 @ 14:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

33 Replies | 2583 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Wing chun workgroup in zurich
Post 1

Hi G 

I'm moving to Zurich in the next few weeks and am interested in the Wing Chun classes you describe. I have no formal experience of this but have been wanting to start Wing Chun over the past few months. 

Is it still possible to join your group in these coming weeks?

Thanks

Rajinder 

Hi G 

I'm moving to Zurich in the next few weeks and am interested in the Wing Chun classes you describe. I have no formal experience of this but have been wanting to start Wing Chun over the past few months. 

Is it still possible to join your group in these coming weeks?

Thanks

Rajinder 

Rajinder Sagoo, Nov 23, 2012 @ 11:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hey Rajinder, great to hear you're interested. There's no fixed schedule so it's really dependent on how many replies I get - for the moment you're the first so you get priority :)  Formal experience isn't a pre-requisite so as long as you've got two arms and legs you're good to go ;) My flat isn't huge so i'd probably only go to 2-3 people max to start with and see how it goes from there. 

Best of luck for the up-coming move, I came over in march so if you need any advice don't hesitate to ask! If there's anything else you'd like to know about Wing Chun then please feel free to ask here or PM me. 

Cheers,

G.

Hey Rajinder, great to hear you're interested. There's no fixed schedule so it's really dependent on how many replies I get - for the moment you're the first so you get priority :)  Formal experience isn't a pre-requisite so as long as you've got two arms and legs you're good to go ;) My flat isn't huge so i'd probably only go to 2-3 people max to start with and see how it goes from there. 

Best of luck for the up-coming move, I came over in march so if you need any advice don't hesitate to ask! If there's anything else you'd like to know about Wing Chun then please feel free to ask here or PM me. 

Cheers,

G.

G___, Nov 23, 2012 @ 16:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hey G., is this still on? I’d love to join.

I haven’t done martial art for a decade now (seriously :))! It would be really great to build some muscles and sharpen my thoughts, if and only if you are a super (patient) teacher :)

Rgds,

R.    

Hey G., is this still on? I’d love to join.

I haven’t done martial art for a decade now (seriously :))! It would be really great to build some muscles and sharpen my thoughts, if and only if you are a super (patient) teacher :)

Rgds,

R.    

Rajna B, Dec 10, 2012 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hey R,

this is indeed still open, glad to hear you're interested too! Like i mentioned to Rajinder, there's no need for any prior experience but if you have trained in the past then it'll help when learning new stuff usually (but don't worry, i'm a pretty patient guy Smile) .

i've had one other guy contact me regarding this so with 3 people that would make the initial group complete and a perfect size to start with, so now only remains to organize the best date to start. Being this close to christmas may mean we defer the start until January, but if people are keen to try next week then we can see what works for everyone to have an initial meetup then so that i can go through what I'm looking to do, what you'll learn, what you'll get out of it as well as any questions you have. 

in the meantime if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask here or PM me direct. 

Thanks!

G

Hey R,

this is indeed still open, glad to hear you're interested too! Like i mentioned to Rajinder, there's no need for any prior experience but if you have trained in the past then it'll help when learning new stuff usually (but don't worry, i'm a pretty patient guy Smile) .

i've had one other guy contact me regarding this so with 3 people that would make the initial group complete and a perfect size to start with, so now only remains to organize the best date to start. Being this close to christmas may mean we defer the start until January, but if people are keen to try next week then we can see what works for everyone to have an initial meetup then so that i can go through what I'm looking to do, what you'll learn, what you'll get out of it as well as any questions you have. 

in the meantime if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask here or PM me direct. 

Thanks!

G

G___, Dec 12, 2012 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi There,

Just a quick message to rajna, Wing Chun/Wing Tsun is not a martial art that requires to build muscle, it's more based on flexibility and technique and indeed a lot of patience.  In fact the more you are able to free yourself from your own strengh the more the system works in your favour.  

My 'centime' worth anyway...

Hi There,

Just a quick message to rajna, Wing Chun/Wing Tsun is not a martial art that requires to build muscle, it's more based on flexibility and technique and indeed a lot of patience.  In fact the more you are able to free yourself from your own strengh the more the system works in your favour.  

My 'centime' worth anyway...

WOJA M, Dec 12, 2012 @ 23:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi G

I've moved to Zurich recently and would def be interested in training Wing Chun with you and anybody else that is interested. I was taught a long time ago by my Dad however I would like to stat training again for fitness and flexibility.

I will be available in January as I will be visiting the UK over the Xmas period.

Regards,

Sean

Hi G

I've moved to Zurich recently and would def be interested in training Wing Chun with you and anybody else that is interested. I was taught a long time ago by my Dad however I would like to stat training again for fitness and flexibility.

I will be available in January as I will be visiting the UK over the Xmas period.

Regards,

Sean

Sean Mitchell, Dec 13, 2012 @ 08:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi G 

I hope your Xmas preperations are going well, I'll be arriving in Zurich on the 22nd Dec so I'm flexible to a start date after the 25th or in January.

See you soon!

Cheers 

Rajinder

Hi G 

I hope your Xmas preperations are going well, I'll be arriving in Zurich on the 22nd Dec so I'm flexible to a start date after the 25th or in January.

See you soon!

Cheers 

Rajinder

Rajinder Sagoo, Dec 13, 2012 @ 09:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi G

Regards,

Sean

Dec 13, 12 08:59

Hey Sean, thanks for the reply. at the moment i've reached the limit of 3 ppl who have already replied, but if that changes i will definitely let you know! enjoy the UK trip :) 

Hey Sean, thanks for the reply. at the moment i've reached the limit of 3 ppl who have already replied, but if that changes i will definitely let you know! enjoy the UK trip :) 

G___, Dec 15, 2012 @ 15:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi G 

See you soon!

Cheers 

Rajinder

Dec 13, 12 09:36

ok lets make a start in Jan then as i''m off for xmas for some skiing :) I'll arrange with you and the two others what day works for everyone and we can get started with wing chun in the new year! Sealed Good luck with the move and enjoy the holidays :)

ok lets make a start in Jan then as i''m off for xmas for some skiing :) I'll arrange with you and the two others what day works for everyone and we can get started with wing chun in the new year! Sealed Good luck with the move and enjoy the holidays :)

G___, Dec 15, 2012 @ 15:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hey G., 

sounds great and I would be interested too. 

Cheers

Co

Hey G., 

sounds great and I would be interested too. 

Cheers

Co

Corinna G, Feb 9, 2013 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hey Corinna & Sean,

Two people have pulled out so there are now 2 spots free if you're still interested. There's one person who has started already but we haven't got too far so wouldn't be too much of a problem for people to come in now. The format we're going for is 2 sessions a week, one during the week the other on a weekend, potentially more later on if people are keen and free to do so. 

just to clarify as i saw a few posts above - your fitness will benefit as a result of training however this is not meant to be a gym/fitness session. We will not be doing any stretching (in wing chun you don't kick higher than the waist), weight training or conditioning. Once you've reached a certain level and begin chisau this will give you a good workout, however i don't want anyone to think that they will be able to do roundhouse kicks above their head and/or get a six pack from the sessions we'll do- if that's your aim then these sessions won't be what you're looking for!! If you want to chat i'd be happy to meet you for a drink and explain a bit more what we'll be doing. As i said i'm doing this free of charge, but i do want to invest my time in people who are really eager to learn and don't want to spend weeks with someone to find out our goals were missaligned from the begining. 

If this still sounds good to you then feel free to private message me and i'll try to arrange a date for everyone to start the same time. :-)

Cheers,

G.

Hey Corinna & Sean,

Two people have pulled out so there are now 2 spots free if you're still interested. There's one person who has started already but we haven't got too far so wouldn't be too much of a problem for people to come in now. The format we're going for is 2 sessions a week, one during the week the other on a weekend, potentially more later on if people are keen and free to do so. 

just to clarify as i saw a few posts above - your fitness will benefit as a result of training however this is not meant to be a gym/fitness session. We will not be doing any stretching (in wing chun you don't kick higher than the waist), weight training or conditioning. Once you've reached a certain level and begin chisau this will give you a good workout, however i don't want anyone to think that they will be able to do roundhouse kicks above their head and/or get a six pack from the sessions we'll do- if that's your aim then these sessions won't be what you're looking for!! If you want to chat i'd be happy to meet you for a drink and explain a bit more what we'll be doing. As i said i'm doing this free of charge, but i do want to invest my time in people who are really eager to learn and don't want to spend weeks with someone to find out our goals were missaligned from the begining. 

If this still sounds good to you then feel free to private message me and i'll try to arrange a date for everyone to start the same time. :-)

Cheers,

G.

G___, Feb 19, 2013 @ 09:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi G,

Thanks for letting us know the availability. I am still interested so will message you now.

Sean

Hi G,

Thanks for letting us know the availability. I am still interested so will message you now.

Sean

Sean Mitchell, Feb 19, 2013 @ 10:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hey Gerard, I will join as well.. Will you setup an activity for this?

Cheers, Ehsaan

Hey Gerard, I will join as well.. Will you setup an activity for this?

Cheers, Ehsaan

Ehsaan, Feb 19, 2013 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Hey Ehsaan,

I'm gonna give Corinna & Sean priority as theyreplied first and i'm afraid due to the size of my flat i can't take any more people on at the moment, but if there's any drop-outs you're next in line! :)  Not putting this as an activity since i'm doing this at my house and don't want my address online. 

Cheers,

G.

Hey Ehsaan,

I'm gonna give Corinna & Sean priority as theyreplied first and i'm afraid due to the size of my flat i can't take any more people on at the moment, but if there's any drop-outs you're next in line! :)  Not putting this as an activity since i'm doing this at my house and don't want my address online. 

Cheers,

G.

G___, Feb 19, 2013 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hey G, 

still interested, I am in. Sounds great to meet first for a coffee so we all can meet each other. I send you a message now. 

Cheers

Corinna

Hey G, 

still interested, I am in. Sounds great to meet first for a coffee so we all can meet each other. I send you a message now. 

Cheers

Corinna

Corinna G, Feb 20, 2013 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hi,

Can you put me on the "waiting list" and contact me if any places become free, please? I used to do WC years ago and it would be great to get back into it. I don't really fancy doing it in a foreign language though!

Thanks.

Hi,

Can you put me on the "waiting list" and contact me if any places become free, please? I used to do WC years ago and it would be great to get back into it. I don't really fancy doing it in a foreign language though!

Thanks.

Lart U, Feb 26, 2013 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi,

Thanks.

Feb 26, 13 13:57

No problemo sir :) out of interest, where did you learn before? 

No problemo sir :) out of interest, where did you learn before? 

G___, Feb 26, 2013 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Thanks. It was at University. Which now I think about it means it wasn't "years ago", it was "many years ago"! Even if my brain hasn't forgotten everything, my body has by now. I'll effectively be starting from scratch again.

Thanks. It was at University. Which now I think about it means it wasn't "years ago", it was "many years ago"! Even if my brain hasn't forgotten everything, my body has by now. I'll effectively be starting from scratch again.

Lart U, Feb 26, 2013 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Ehsaan and Lart U- 2 spots open again if you're still interested! Laughing Training for the next two months will take place on tuesdays and thursdays from 18h30 - 20h00 at my flat in the center of town. If this works for you and you're seriously interested in doing it then PM me your email addresses and i can send you my address and contact details. There have been quite a few drop outs the last months because of schedule conflicts so please make sure that the times above work for you before you say yes! There's quite a lot of explanation as to what we'll do in the classes in this thread but if you have any questions feel free to msg me and i'll get back to you as soon as i can.

Ehsaan and Lart U- 2 spots open again if you're still interested! Laughing Training for the next two months will take place on tuesdays and thursdays from 18h30 - 20h00 at my flat in the center of town. If this works for you and you're seriously interested in doing it then PM me your email addresses and i can send you my address and contact details. There have been quite a few drop outs the last months because of schedule conflicts so please make sure that the times above work for you before you say yes! There's quite a lot of explanation as to what we'll do in the classes in this thread but if you have any questions feel free to msg me and i'll get back to you as soon as i can.

G___, Mar 13, 2013 @ 09:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Hi Gee!

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately the timings do not suit me..

cheers, Ehsaan

Hi Gee!

cheers, Ehsaan

Ehsaan, Mar 13, 2013 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi Gee!

cheers, Ehsaan

Mar 13, 13 12:32

ok sorry it won't work out :-(

one space left should anyone else be interested in taking this up. 

ok sorry it won't work out :-(

one space left should anyone else be interested in taking this up. 

G___, Mar 13, 2013 @ 13:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Hi G, I'm interested. I'll drop u a PM.

Hi G, I'm interested. I'll drop u a PM.

Yousuf S, Mar 16, 2013 @ 12:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hi G,

is this still active? If so, is a spot available?

Thanks!

B

Hi G,

Thanks!

B

B B, Jul 14, 2013 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Hi G,

Thanks!

B

Jul 14, 13 17:58

I doubt it. It was left that he was going to contact me after vacation (early April), but he never did.

I doubt it. It was left that he was going to contact me after vacation (early April), but he never did.

Lart U, Jul 14, 2013 @ 19:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hi B, 

i'm afraid all spots are full at the moment, should anyone drop out i will keep you posted although Yousuf is currently on the waiting list too! For the summer i won't have enough time to setup another group with my other commitments however come autumn i may do another group with a view of merging the two once people have caught up enough. Cheers for the interest in any case! :) 

G.

Hi B, 

i'm afraid all spots are full at the moment, should anyone drop out i will keep you posted although Yousuf is currently on the waiting list too! For the summer i won't have enough time to setup another group with my other commitments however come autumn i may do another group with a view of merging the two once people have caught up enough. Cheers for the interest in any case! :) 

G.

G___, Jul 15, 2013 @ 08:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Hi,

Can you put me on the waiting list as well?

Thx

Vann

Hi,

Thx

Vann

Monivann L, Jul 26, 2013 @ 15:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Hi,

Thx

Vann

Jul 26, 13 15:08

no problemo! 

no problemo! 

G___, Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

1 free spot for anyone wishing to start in the next week or two. Pls check the comments in this thread above for more details and PM me if you need any more info or want to join. :-) 

1 free spot for anyone wishing to start in the next week or two. Pls check the comments in this thread above for more details and PM me if you need any more info or want to join. :-) 

G___, Nov 19, 2013 @ 14:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

few ppl asked so re-posting to make it easier - times are 18h30 - 20h00 on tuesdays and thursdays. 

few ppl asked so re-posting to make it easier - times are 18h30 - 20h00 on tuesdays and thursdays. 

G___, Nov 22, 2013 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Hi,

does this means there are spots available? I'd definitely be interested.

Thanks!

B

Hi,

Thanks!

B

B B, Dec 18, 2013 @ 12:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Hi,

Thanks!

B

Dec 18, 13 12:19

argh you're unlucky again as both spots are filled! send me a pm with your email and i can contact you directly if i get another that opens up. 

Cheers!

G

argh you're unlucky again as both spots are filled! send me a pm with your email and i can contact you directly if i get another that opens up. 

Cheers!

G

G___, Dec 18, 2013 @ 16:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

In case someone here is still interested in trying out Wing Chun.

There will be a seminar with world-renowned Sifu Daniel Xuan on June 7-8 here in Zurich. It's highly recommended, as Sifu Xuan has one of the most in-depth knowledge of Wing Chun.

More details here: http://www.glocals.com/forums/zurich/where-how-in-zurich/Wing-Chun-Workshop-with-Sifu-Daniel-Xuan--June-7-8--2014-207793.htm

Cheng!

In case someone here is still interested in trying out Wing Chun.

There will be a seminar with world-renowned Sifu Daniel Xuan on June 7-8 here in Zurich. It's highly recommended, as Sifu Xuan has one of the most in-depth knowledge of Wing Chun.

More details here: http://www.glocals.com/forums/zurich/where-how-in-zurich/Wing-Chun-Workshop-with-Sifu-Daniel-Xuan--June-7-8--2014-207793.htm

Cheng!

B B, Apr 16, 2014 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

I know this is a bit of an outdated thread, but I figured I'd still post here:

If anyone is looking to learn Wing Chun, my Sifu Danny Xuan has given me the permission to teach his system. If anyone is sincerely interested, I'm looking to build a small group of committed students.

Do let me know if you have any questions about the Xuan system of Wing Chun, and/or if you're looking to try it out!

Best regards,

B

I know this is a bit of an outdated thread, but I figured I'd still post here:

If anyone is looking to learn Wing Chun, my Sifu Danny Xuan has given me the permission to teach his system. If anyone is sincerely interested, I'm looking to build a small group of committed students.

Do let me know if you have any questions about the Xuan system of Wing Chun, and/or if you're looking to try it out!

Best regards,

B

B B, Jan 30, 2015 @ 13:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
33 Replies | 2583 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form