Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Cockroaches in apartment

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cockroaches in apartment

Hi everyone!

i found some cockroaches in my apartment. I moved in about a year ago and it’s not a cheap appartment block. I keep my appartment clean.

i called the estate agent and then I sent them a follow up email with pictures in French.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? Do you have any advice as to how to deal with this effectively.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Wiktoria 

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone!

i found some cockroaches in my apartment. I moved in about a year ago and it’s not a cheap appartment block. I keep my appartment clean.

i called the estate agent and then I sent them a follow up email with pictures in French.

Has anyone dealt with this situation before? Do you have any advice as to how to deal with this effectively.

Thanks in advance.

Best

Wiktoria 

Victoria SJul 17, 2019 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 303 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cockroaches in apartment
Post 1

Personally .. I'd get some stuff from the store and deal with it myself.  At best the agent will send somebody around to do essentially what you could do yourself, without the wait-time, hassle, intrusion etc.. At worst you'll also get a decent bill for that. 

Probably you have standard harmless european cockroaches, get some bait, check for obvious entry points, block them.. etc

There's a store, like a hardware store at place des eaux vives that has all the stuff to deal with it.. Araignee Rouge it's called

Personally .. I'd get some stuff from the store and deal with it myself.  At best the agent will send somebody around to do essentially what you could do yourself, without the wait-time, hassle, intrusion etc.. At worst you'll also get a decent bill for that. 

Probably you have standard harmless european cockroaches, get some bait, check for obvious entry points, block them.. etc

There's a store, like a hardware store at place des eaux vives that has all the stuff to deal with it.. Araignee Rouge it's called

John H, Jul 18, 2019 @ 08:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance.

Best

Wiktoria 

Jul 17, 19 12:24

It doesn’t matter how clean you are nor how much the rent costs, with temperatures in the 30’s you’re likely to get cockroaches.

My suggestion is to spray, spray, and then spray some more in the morning and especially in the late afternoon.

You can go to “L’araignée rouge” as suggested by John but you can also find effective products in a Coop, Migros, Denner, Manor and many other outlets .

Don’t forget to spray ceilings, window frames and sills, doorsteps (including the one outside your apartment).  Also dispose of your rubbish, particularly edible stuff, as quickly as possible after use, eating, etc.

One of my own “tricks” is to wear sun glasses and mask my nose and mouth while spraying (to avoid any droplets arriving where it hurts) and when I’ve finished I then wash my hands thoroughly – just in case any of the product has landed there.

Unfortunately, mosquitos also find me ultra-tasty so I have to use insect repellant every day but that does also help to keep the cockroaches somewhat at bay.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit daunting but this weather too will pass, inshal’la and we’ll  be back to our woollies and wellies in no time.

Meanwhile, all the best, R.

It doesn’t matter how clean you are nor how much the rent costs, with temperatures in the 30’s you’re likely to get cockroaches.

My suggestion is to spray, spray, and then spray some more in the morning and especially in the late afternoon.

You can go to “L’araignée rouge” as suggested by John but you can also find effective products in a Coop, Migros, Denner, Manor and many other outlets .

Don’t forget to spray ceilings, window frames and sills, doorsteps (including the one outside your apartment).  Also dispose of your rubbish, particularly edible stuff, as quickly as possible after use, eating, etc.

One of my own “tricks” is to wear sun glasses and mask my nose and mouth while spraying (to avoid any droplets arriving where it hurts) and when I’ve finished I then wash my hands thoroughly – just in case any of the product has landed there.

Unfortunately, mosquitos also find me ultra-tasty so I have to use insect repellant every day but that does also help to keep the cockroaches somewhat at bay.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit daunting but this weather too will pass, inshal’la and we’ll  be back to our woollies and wellies in no time.

Meanwhile, all the best, R.

Ritchie, Jul 18, 2019 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It may be quite possible that you do not have regular Blattella germanica (discussed above), which is the nasty bastard. On the other hand, in Geneva quite frequently you can observe this cocroach https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ectobius_lapponicus , which is harmless, lives in the mulch around the plants etc. Since Geneva is quite green city, they tend to go into the buildings but are non-infesting bugs. They DO fly while the bad ones German cockoraches do not. 

It may be quite possible that you do not have regular Blattella germanica (discussed above), which is the nasty bastard. On the other hand, in Geneva quite frequently you can observe this cocroach https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ectobius_lapponicus , which is harmless, lives in the mulch around the plants etc. Since Geneva is quite green city, they tend to go into the buildings but are non-infesting bugs. They DO fly while the bad ones German cockoraches do not. 

Hubs S, Jul 22, 2019 @ 00:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 303 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form