Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Naturalisation Swiss

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Naturalisation Swiss

Could any of the Glocals member tell me (financial and fiscal) advantages and inconveiences by opting for Swiss citizenship.  Currently I hold French citizenship. 

The text you are quoting:

Could any of the Glocals member tell me (financial and fiscal) advantages and inconveiences by opting for Swiss citizenship.  Currently I hold French citizenship. 

AnonymousJul 23, 2018 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 1852 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Naturalisation Swiss
Post 1

Hi,

The big difference with a Swiss citizenship is in matter of right to vote and to become eligible for certain careers, especially in matter of politics.

Otherwise, in matter of taxes, if you file an ordinary tax return, there is no difference between a French C permit holder and a Swiss citizen. The only differences are if you have a special regime of a "lump-sum taxation" (forfait fiscal) or regarding the taxation of inheritance (in some cantons, for example Vaud).

Hi,

The big difference with a Swiss citizenship is in matter of right to vote and to become eligible for certain careers, especially in matter of politics.

Otherwise, in matter of taxes, if you file an ordinary tax return, there is no difference between a French C permit holder and a Swiss citizen. The only differences are if you have a special regime of a "lump-sum taxation" (forfait fiscal) or regarding the taxation of inheritance (in some cantons, for example Vaud).

Per P, Aug 3, 2018 @ 13:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In case you are eligible and want to become Swiss, we now help prep for the citizenship exam.

https://www.learn-french-geneva.com/preparation.php

In case you are eligible and want to become Swiss, we now help prep for the citizenship exam.

https://www.learn-french-geneva.com/preparation.php

hay_, Aug 3, 2018 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

https://www.ecole-club.ch/Offre/Preparation-a-la-naturalisation--D_73023_1376

https://www.ecole-club.ch/Offre/Preparation-a-la-naturalisation--D_73023_1376

SWISS, Aug 3, 2018 @ 19:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

A couple other differences are that if you leave the country for more than four years - even if you just decide to become a frontalier - you'd lose your C permit, but you'd keep the nationality, and that if you have children they'd inherit your Swiss nationality, which would not be the case if you have a C permit.

A couple other differences are that if you leave the country for more than four years - even if you just decide to become a frontalier - you'd lose your C permit, but you'd keep the nationality, and that if you have children they'd inherit your Swiss nationality, which would not be the case if you have a C permit.

Laia, Aug 4, 2018 @ 09:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi,

The advantages of becoming a Swiss citizen is that if one day you go broke, the State will pay for your flat, food and health insurance for as long as you need. As a Swiss you will have the right to vote on all votations at Canton level and at Federation level. Once you have a Swiss passport, it's for life no matter what happens to you next or whereever you go.

The disavantage is that the procedure is lenghtly (approximately 2 years), that you have to be able to speak some French and that its costy. 

Depending on what nationality you are, you might have to give up your passport.

As an integration cultural coach for expats who come to Switzerland, I would be happy to help you further if you have any more questions.

Have a wonderful week end!

More info on my website:

www.languagecoachinggeneva.ch

Hi,

The advantages of becoming a Swiss citizen is that if one day you go broke, the State will pay for your flat, food and health insurance for as long as you need. As a Swiss you will have the right to vote on all votations at Canton level and at Federation level. Once you have a Swiss passport, it's for life no matter what happens to you next or whereever you go.

The disavantage is that the procedure is lenghtly (approximately 2 years), that you have to be able to speak some French and that its costy. 

Depending on what nationality you are, you might have to give up your passport.

As an integration cultural coach for expats who come to Switzerland, I would be happy to help you further if you have any more questions.

Have a wonderful week end!

More info on my website:

www.languagecoachinggeneva.ch

Rachelle P, Aug 4, 2018 @ 19:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Another important criterion that should not be overlooked is the length of residence in the commune to which you apply for citizenship.  For example, if you state that you have lived for three years in the city of Geneva, then moved elsewhere in French-speaking Switzerland and have now completed five consecutive years’ residence in a commune in, say, the canton of Zurich, that could disqualify your eligibility.

You will also have to prove your fluency in the local language which, in some instances, also means the local dialect.

That said, the possession of a Swiss passport can be very reassuring when one is living in or even just visiting certain parts of the world, but there is also the unspoken obligation that a Swiss national is an upright, law-abiding citizen at all times and in all circumstances.  The old wives’ tale that if you infringe the law in another country, a member of the Swiss Diplomatic Mission to that country will make haste to free you from jail or other punishment is simply nothing more than a myth.

Another important criterion that should not be overlooked is the length of residence in the commune to which you apply for citizenship.  For example, if you state that you have lived for three years in the city of Geneva, then moved elsewhere in French-speaking Switzerland and have now completed five consecutive years’ residence in a commune in, say, the canton of Zurich, that could disqualify your eligibility.

You will also have to prove your fluency in the local language which, in some instances, also means the local dialect.

That said, the possession of a Swiss passport can be very reassuring when one is living in or even just visiting certain parts of the world, but there is also the unspoken obligation that a Swiss national is an upright, law-abiding citizen at all times and in all circumstances.  The old wives’ tale that if you infringe the law in another country, a member of the Swiss Diplomatic Mission to that country will make haste to free you from jail or other punishment is simply nothing more than a myth.

Ritchie, Aug 4, 2018 @ 20:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hello, we are in the process of naturalization. What kind of help do you offer?

Hello, we are in the process of naturalization. What kind of help do you offer?

Pooja Pahwa, Jan 22, 2019 @ 00:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Curious that no-one has yet mentioned the cost. Is that because from what we understand, this is prohibitive?

Curious that no-one has yet mentioned the cost. Is that because from what we understand, this is prohibitive?

sheila c, Jan 22, 2019 @ 12:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jan 22, 19 12:45

The cost is high but I wouldn’t call it “prohibitive”.  Lots of folk with quite modest

incomes manage to become Swiss.

A lot depends on where you’re coming from amd whether you can or want to return there after several years’ residence in CH.

Agreed, Switzerland isn’t a cheap place to live but, overall, there’s a lot to be said for life here.

It’s far from being all bad.

The cost is high but I wouldn’t call it “prohibitive”.  Lots of folk with quite modest

incomes manage to become Swiss.

A lot depends on where you’re coming from amd whether you can or want to return there after several years’ residence in CH.

Agreed, Switzerland isn’t a cheap place to live but, overall, there’s a lot to be said for life here.

It’s far from being all bad.

Ritchie, Jan 22, 2019 @ 13:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Jan 22, 19 12:45

1,250 chf for single adult plus disbursments.

https://www.ge.ch/devenir-suisse/combien-coute-naturalisation

Rade, Jan 22, 2019 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 22, 19 16:30

I  have to admit that this is really astonishing[ly inexpensive].

Many years ago the father of my Godson applied for Swiss citizenship after being legally married to a Swiss woman for 32 years. He is Indian, living in Kt. Zürich. An official came to their home, interviewed him at length, gave him a test et al. After three months he heard from the relevant department and was "asked" to pay CHF12,000.--. This is some 20 years ago, so either the cost is much much less in the Romandie, or Asian people are perhaps more penalised for whatever reason. Can't say but the ironic thing is that in those far off days, one was automatically accorded the Bürgerrecht [don't know what this is in French] and so he became a very sunburnt AppenzellerCool

I  have to admit that this is really astonishing[ly inexpensive].

Many years ago the father of my Godson applied for Swiss citizenship after being legally married to a Swiss woman for 32 years. He is Indian, living in Kt. Zürich. An official came to their home, interviewed him at length, gave him a test et al. After three months he heard from the relevant department and was "asked" to pay CHF12,000.--. This is some 20 years ago, so either the cost is much much less in the Romandie, or Asian people are perhaps more penalised for whatever reason. Can't say but the ironic thing is that in those far off days, one was automatically accorded the Bürgerrecht [don't know what this is in French] and so he became a very sunburnt AppenzellerCool

sheila c, Jan 23, 2019 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Understand the rules then were relative to assets / salary (my old colleague very senior Dutch paid around 25k chuffs). Then moved to fix fee + disbursements around 5k chuffs. Then couple years ago reduced again to current fixed fee level.

Still irrespective cost, this is a very difficult journey. To become Swiss you will really need to want it and earn it.

Understand the rules then were relative to assets / salary (my old colleague very senior Dutch paid around 25k chuffs). Then moved to fix fee + disbursements around 5k chuffs. Then couple years ago reduced again to current fixed fee level.

Still irrespective cost, this is a very difficult journey. To become Swiss you will really need to want it and earn it.

Rade, Jan 23, 2019 @ 16:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Marc B,

I became a Swiss (Geneva canton) citizen few weeks ago. There's no big diference between a C permis and a Swiss passeport (it was important to me because I am not European).

For those interested, the link below provides details of the procedure:

https://www.ge.ch/document/bie-devenir-suisse-sse-naturalisation-mode-emploi/telecharger

Hi Marc B,

I became a Swiss (Geneva canton) citizen few weeks ago. There's no big diference between a C permis and a Swiss passeport (it was important to me because I am not European).

For those interested, the link below provides details of the procedure:

https://www.ge.ch/document/bie-devenir-suisse-sse-naturalisation-mode-emploi/telecharger

Sil B, Jan 30, 2019 @ 22:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

this is an old thread in 2019 but I would like to ask what the key points are for writing the motivation letter to become Swiss?

any recommendations of what to say (or not to say) during the interview?

thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

this is an old thread in 2019 but I would like to ask what the key points are for writing the motivation letter to become Swiss?

any recommendations of what to say (or not to say) during the interview?

thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Jessica G, Oct 20, 2020 @ 22:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 1852 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form