Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Ski / Snowboarding > Beginner Ski Buddies for Jan...?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Beginner Ski Buddies for Jan...?

Hi. I learnt to ski for the first time last season with 12 hours of lessons at Les Brasses (approx 45 mins from, Geneva). I can ski comfortably down a blue slope and I'm starting to do some parallel turns and pick up my speed. Red slopes are out of the question though.

ESF at Les Brasses do 12 hours of group lessons in January (3 hours on a Sunday afternoon) for only 82 euros. Last year there were only three of us so it was great value for money! I was wondering whether there's anybody who's about the same standard (not total beginner but still rather inexperienced!) who'd be interested in booking? My fiancé (who skis much better than me and doesn't need lessons!) and I drive there so there's a possibility of sharing a lift. It would be great to meet other people of my skiing standard as everyone else seems to be such a pro!!

Let me know if you're interested.

The text you are quoting:

Hi. I learnt to ski for the first time last season with 12 hours of lessons at Les Brasses (approx 45 mins from, Geneva). I can ski comfortably down a blue slope and I'm starting to do some parallel turns and pick up my speed. Red slopes are out of the question though.

ESF at Les Brasses do 12 hours of group lessons in January (3 hours on a Sunday afternoon) for only 82 euros. Last year there were only three of us so it was great value for money! I was wondering whether there's anybody who's about the same standard (not total beginner but still rather inexperienced!) who'd be interested in booking? My fiancé (who skis much better than me and doesn't need lessons!) and I drive there so there's a possibility of sharing a lift. It would be great to meet other people of my skiing standard as everyone else seems to be such a pro!!

Clara MNov 14, 2010 @ 10:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

41 Replies | 2484 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Beginner Ski Buddies for Jan...?
Post 1

Hi, I am a complete beginner and hoping to take some lessons in December to prepare for a visit from some friends who want to come over from UK to ski at New Year.  Do you know of anywhere that does lessons in December?

If I can get my basics sorted in December would maybe be good to hook up in January : )

Hi, I am a complete beginner and hoping to take some lessons in December to prepare for a visit from some friends who want to come over from UK to ski at New Year.  Do you know of anywhere that does lessons in December?

If I can get my basics sorted in December would maybe be good to hook up in January : )

Amy Wyatt, Nov 14, 2010 @ 16:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Clara, I am definitely interested. Not sure if my level is yours but we can give it a try. I was planning to take lessons so would love to share the cost. I have been skiing several times, pretty good on the snowboard but want to learn to ski. If you like the idea we can get in touch at the end of December and decide whether it could work. My boyfriend also likes to ski, and yes also is much better at it. To Amy, sorry I dont have any suggestions for December, I am new in the area:). 

Hi Clara, I am definitely interested. Not sure if my level is yours but we can give it a try. I was planning to take lessons so would love to share the cost. I have been skiing several times, pretty good on the snowboard but want to learn to ski. If you like the idea we can get in touch at the end of December and decide whether it could work. My boyfriend also likes to ski, and yes also is much better at it. To Amy, sorry I dont have any suggestions for December, I am new in the area:). 

Esther D, Nov 14, 2010 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Amy and Esther,

Great! I'll keep you posted as I find out more about dates etc. Amy: Les Brasses seems to be the cheapest place for group lessons and the 82 euros for 12 hours of lessons is a promotion for the month of January. I think there are schools in most resorts which would do private lessons all season and during the school holidays.

Hi Amy and Esther,

Great! I'll keep you posted as I find out more about dates etc. Amy: Les Brasses seems to be the cheapest place for group lessons and the 82 euros for 12 hours of lessons is a promotion for the month of January. I think there are schools in most resorts which would do private lessons all season and during the school holidays.

Clara M, Nov 14, 2010 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi, great if you can inbox me full details of this school.definately sounds good and reasonable!!many thanks  for ur tips.I am a non skier, and will learn.

Hi, great if you can inbox me full details of this school.definately sounds good and reasonable!!many thanks  for ur tips.I am a non skier, and will learn.

geneva80, Nov 14, 2010 @ 23:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi! I would be interested in joining in those classes :) 

I used to ski when I was young but I haven been skiing anymore in almost ten years and decided to get started again this winter. 

Could you also keep me updated later on in December? 

Many thanks for the tip because I didnt know where to find a cheap skiing school. 

Talk later :) 

Lynn 

Hi! I would be interested in joining in those classes :) 

I used to ski when I was young but I haven been skiing anymore in almost ten years and decided to get started again this winter. 

Could you also keep me updated later on in December? 

Many thanks for the tip because I didnt know where to find a cheap skiing school. 

Talk later :) 

Lynn 

Lynn P, Nov 16, 2010 @ 15:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hello everyone! I have emailed the school to find out about availibility and any reductions for several of us reserving at the same time. I'll keep you posted!

Hello everyone! I have emailed the school to find out about availibility and any reductions for several of us reserving at the same time. I'll keep you posted!

Clara M, Nov 16, 2010 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

There is a pretty big ski club at UN (or is it for all the international organizations) if I remember well...

Also CERN has one...

Andras

There is a pretty big ski club at UN (or is it for all the international organizations) if I remember well...

Also CERN has one...

Andras

andras, Nov 16, 2010 @ 16:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

i'd also be interested. good idea!

i'd also be interested. good idea!

robin g, Nov 16, 2010 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi! 

Do you have the details on how to contact the UN ski club.. that could also be interesting for me as I work for the UN? 

Hi! 

Do you have the details on how to contact the UN ski club.. that could also be interesting for me as I work for the UN? 

Lynn P, Nov 18, 2010 @ 09:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

my guess (I just googled) is that it is this one

http://www.scig.ch/

but I can ask if needed (have some ski instructor friends who do the outings with the UN club)

another one:

http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/

On these clubs my info is only second-hand! (I did my classes with the Geneva University...)

my guess (I just googled) is that it is this one

http://www.scig.ch/

but I can ask if needed (have some ski instructor friends who do the outings with the UN club)

another one:

http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/

On these clubs my info is only second-hand! (I did my classes with the Geneva University...)

andras, Nov 18, 2010 @ 10:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi

I am a complete beginner and would be interested to join

Sel

Hi

I am a complete beginner and would be interested to join

Sel

Sel S, Nov 19, 2010 @ 11:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi

I would also be interested to join the group for ski lessons. I'm not a beginner but would definitely class myself as inexperienced :-)

Tasha

Hi

I would also be interested to join the group for ski lessons. I'm not a beginner but would definitely class myself as inexperienced :-)

Tasha

Natasha B, Nov 19, 2010 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Mee too

Mee too

Franco L, Nov 19, 2010 @ 16:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Nov 14, 10 10:51

Hey Clara,

My goal for this winter is to learn how to Ski! I'm definitely up for that.

Let me know the details.

Cheers.

Hey Clara,

My goal for this winter is to learn how to Ski! I'm definitely up for that.

Let me know the details.

Cheers.

David S, Nov 20, 2010 @ 19:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hi! 

Nov 18, 10 09:50

HI Lynn,

Anybody can become a member of the SCIG, not only UN people. It's not expensive (CHF 50 per year) and they organise trips to different resorts on Sat and Sundays, including ski lessons (4 hrs per day) that cost CHF 40 per day. You can follow the link Andras posted, you'll find all details there. The buses leave Nations (near the UN) on Sat and Sun morning.

I am returning to skiing after a long impasse so I'm planning to take lessons the whole season and many people advised the SCIG. Ski buddies are welcome!! :)

HI Lynn,

Anybody can become a member of the SCIG, not only UN people. It's not expensive (CHF 50 per year) and they organise trips to different resorts on Sat and Sundays, including ski lessons (4 hrs per day) that cost CHF 40 per day. You can follow the link Andras posted, you'll find all details there. The buses leave Nations (near the UN) on Sat and Sun morning.

I am returning to skiing after a long impasse so I'm planning to take lessons the whole season and many people advised the SCIG. Ski buddies are welcome!! :)

Cecilia G, Nov 22, 2010 @ 12:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I am also up for this. I had a couple of lessons last season before having a fall and damaging my knee. I loved it though and want to try again this season.

With all the interest generated above, it seems to me that we should start a group here, in order to research and organise the best value lessons. There is usually discount for a group, so I believe this would work very well.

I haven't got a clue how to go about starting a group and my French is merde but I willing to get involved how and where I can

Regards

David

I am also up for this. I had a couple of lessons last season before having a fall and damaging my knee. I loved it though and want to try again this season.

With all the interest generated above, it seems to me that we should start a group here, in order to research and organise the best value lessons. There is usually discount for a group, so I believe this would work very well.

I haven't got a clue how to go about starting a group and my French is merde but I willing to get involved how and where I can

Regards

David

David Lloyd, Nov 23, 2010 @ 15:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi Ciara,

I am up for those lessons - seems to be very reasonable. I went skiing twice and perhaps like you am not ready to do red slopes - Still a novice but enjoying it.

Mike

Hi Ciara,

I am up for those lessons - seems to be very reasonable. I went skiing twice and perhaps like you am not ready to do red slopes - Still a novice but enjoying it.

Mike

Michael C, Nov 23, 2010 @ 16:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Count Tania and I in on this too.... 

Peter

Count Tania and I in on this too.... 

Peter

peter hvidberg, Nov 23, 2010 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

please keep me posted too.. my husband & I want to learn skiing this winter!

please keep me posted too.. my husband & I want to learn skiing this winter!

Dipti Aggarwal, Nov 23, 2010 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/lausanne/31628.htm

have a look at this invitation there is a guy organizing also net friday

http://www.glocals.com/things-to-do/lausanne/31628.htm

have a look at this invitation there is a guy organizing also net friday

Franco L, Nov 23, 2010 @ 17:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hi,

I am learning for the first time this year too - I hope to have lessons for one week in December (Xmas-NY).

I'd love to join you all in Jan -hoping by then I may know a little something?

Hey Franco - I am also prob going to the Ski event on friday for a bit - may see some of you there too?

I've just bought all my ski clothing too but I will hire my skis and boots for this first time until I know I like it and can progress! :)

I await further info...

Cheers,

JO :)

Hi,

I am learning for the first time this year too - I hope to have lessons for one week in December (Xmas-NY).

I'd love to join you all in Jan -hoping by then I may know a little something?

Hey Franco - I am also prob going to the Ski event on friday for a bit - may see some of you there too?

I've just bought all my ski clothing too but I will hire my skis and boots for this first time until I know I like it and can progress! :)

I await further info...

Cheers,

JO :)

Joanne D, Nov 23, 2010 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

sure and then we go to the afterwork drink young and fun!!

Franco L, Nov 23, 2010 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hello,

Geneva Outdoors organize also some ski week-end with professional instructors. Nice atmosphere, people are generaly between 30 and 40 years old.

They have courses for beginners as for freeriders.

The only way to get information about their activities is to subscribe to their newsletter: www.geneva-outdoors.org

Hello,

Geneva Outdoors organize also some ski week-end with professional instructors. Nice atmosphere, people are generaly between 30 and 40 years old.

They have courses for beginners as for freeriders.

The only way to get information about their activities is to subscribe to their newsletter: www.geneva-outdoors.org

D Alex, Nov 23, 2010 @ 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24
Geneva & Lausanne ski group

Lausanne1007 pont Chauderon, Lausanne

Friday, November 26th, 2010 @ 19:30

Vigie metro/cecil bus at Pont Chauderon, Lausanne 1007

If this is going to be your 1st skiing season then join us for a pre- slopes party in central Lausanne..This is when you can get all the theory,preparation and advice from Warren Miller on video and members of the Geneva& Lausanne Ski club in person!

Just bring a decent bottle to share and we'll provide a little blotting paper-paté.cheese and bread.

For details ring Malcolm or Maggie on 077 207 0631 or email [email protected]
Geneva & Lausanne ski group

Lausanne1007 pont Chauderon, Lausanne

Friday, November 26th, 2010 @ 19:30

Vigie metro/cecil bus at Pont Chauderon, Lausanne 1007

If this is going to be your 1st skiing season then join us for a pre- slopes party in central Lausanne..This is when you can get all the theory,preparation and advice from Warren Miller on video and members of the Geneva& Lausanne Ski club in person!

Just bring a decent bottle to share and we'll provide a little blotting paper-paté.cheese and bread.

For details ring Malcolm or Maggie on 077 207 0631 or email [email protected]
Malcolm W, Nov 24, 2010 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hi,

I would definitely be interested to join in!

Cheers,

Katja

Hi,

I would definitely be interested to join in!

Cheers,

Katja

Katza, Nov 24, 2010 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Exactly - you got it!

I'm doing exactly the same... hehe :)

Exactly - you got it!

I'm doing exactly the same... hehe :)

Joanne D, Nov 24, 2010 @ 16:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Nov 23, 10 18:20

Exactly - I'm doing the same too... :)

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Nov 23, 10 18:20

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Hello everyone,

I have contacted the Ecole du Ski Français aux Brasses (see Les Brasses website in the ESF section for more details and prices). They offer 12 hours of group lessons in January for 82 euros. This is in a group of maximum 10 people depending on how many people sign up.They have several instructors, some of whom are English speaking.

Les Brasses is a small, family-orientated resort approx 40 minutes from Geneva in the Vallée Verte. You park right at the entrance to the slopes - most pistes are green/blue/red and I think there is one black one. Again, have a look at the website for details.

I have asked about booking instructors for a private group lesson but the January Promotion will still end up being cheaper. I should also point out they do the same promotion for 4 consecutive Sundays in March. The January Promo lessons start on 2nd January and last year they were in the afternoon 14h - 17h for four consecutive Sunday afternoons.

If you are interested in signing up, please send me a message in my inbox and I will give you the guy's email to reserve your place - I think this will be easier than me making lists of people as they contact me. We can perhaps get together in the next couple of weeks to meet each other before we start!

Thanks, Clara.

Hello everyone,

I have contacted the Ecole du Ski Français aux Brasses (see Les Brasses website in the ESF section for more details and prices). They offer 12 hours of group lessons in January for 82 euros. This is in a group of maximum 10 people depending on how many people sign up.They have several instructors, some of whom are English speaking.

Les Brasses is a small, family-orientated resort approx 40 minutes from Geneva in the Vallée Verte. You park right at the entrance to the slopes - most pistes are green/blue/red and I think there is one black one. Again, have a look at the website for details.

I have asked about booking instructors for a private group lesson but the January Promotion will still end up being cheaper. I should also point out they do the same promotion for 4 consecutive Sundays in March. The January Promo lessons start on 2nd January and last year they were in the afternoon 14h - 17h for four consecutive Sunday afternoons.

If you are interested in signing up, please send me a message in my inbox and I will give you the guy's email to reserve your place - I think this will be easier than me making lists of people as they contact me. We can perhaps get together in the next couple of weeks to meet each other before we start!

Thanks, Clara.

Clara M, Nov 29, 2010 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

just dropped you a message, let me know when you guys want to meet!

just dropped you a message, let me know when you guys want to meet!

dianac, Nov 29, 2010 @ 21:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Hi Clara, Yes I am interested. I am wondering though if it would be better to make the groups 5 people max? Perhaps for real beginners 10 people max is ok but if you are beyond the first insecurities and falls maybe a group of 10 is too much for the teacher to see and help people. Just an idea but others may suggest you/us better:)

Greetings from a snowing Lausanne!

Esther

Hi Clara, Yes I am interested. I am wondering though if it would be better to make the groups 5 people max? Perhaps for real beginners 10 people max is ok but if you are beyond the first insecurities and falls maybe a group of 10 is too much for the teacher to see and help people. Just an idea but others may suggest you/us better:)

Greetings from a snowing Lausanne!

Esther

Esther D, Nov 30, 2010 @ 20:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

I'd be keen to join, I've only skied a couple of times and need all the practice I can get! 

I'd be keen to join, I've only skied a couple of times and need all the practice I can get! 

Suzanne R, Nov 30, 2010 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Who is intersted we are 2 people taking beginner lesson in port du solei 45 minutes away form lausanne On sunday morning

please contact me if intersted the price is 150 to share in 4 (so I am looking for 2 mates).

I will receive a call on saturday form the teacher because depend on the snow that will do/not do tomorrow/saturday.

Price fro renting sky is 15 chf on site

Drop me a message with your email/number if intrested

Who is intersted we are 2 people taking beginner lesson in port du solei 45 minutes away form lausanne On sunday morning

please contact me if intersted the price is 150 to share in 4 (so I am looking for 2 mates).

I will receive a call on saturday form the teacher because depend on the snow that will do/not do tomorrow/saturday.

Price fro renting sky is 15 chf on site

Drop me a message with your email/number if intrested

Franco L, Dec 9, 2010 @ 16:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Hi Im based in Zurich, is anyone thinking of taking intermediate lessons skiing?

Ive been boarding last year, but fancy keeping the skis going...so over new Zurich or maybe could trip over to Portes Du Soleil sometime :) (Cheaper!!)

Hi Im based in Zurich, is anyone thinking of taking intermediate lessons skiing?

Ive been boarding last year, but fancy keeping the skis going...so over new Zurich or maybe could trip over to Portes Du Soleil sometime :) (Cheaper!!)

james s, Dec 10, 2010 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

I just moved to Basel area last week and would love to take snowboarding/ski lessons...I don't know where anything is yet but would love to learn and/or join trips. let me know if you have any info Smile

I just moved to Basel area last week and would love to take snowboarding/ski lessons...I don't know where anything is yet but would love to learn and/or join trips. let me know if you have any info Smile

Amy E, Dec 10, 2010 @ 23:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Helloo..I am new for Geneva and also for skiing...But I would like to test it out..Dont know where to start...Looking for your guidances..;)

Helloo..I am new for Geneva and also for skiing...But I would like to test it out..Dont know where to start...Looking for your guidances..;)

Ali D, Dec 11, 2010 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Dec 10, 10 21:39

Hi James,

Im based in Zurich also, and plan to better my skiing this winter. Llet me know if you end up going for a day trip or something and need someone to ski & have drinks with at the end!

Hi James,

Im based in Zurich also, and plan to better my skiing this winter. Llet me know if you end up going for a day trip or something and need someone to ski & have drinks with at the end!

Mel S, Dec 11, 2010 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Whaa a long thread. I wont read all this, but im just going to say I might be interested in some skiing in January!

Whaa a long thread. I wont read all this, but im just going to say I might be interested in some skiing in January!

Andrew I, Dec 11, 2010 @ 15:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Hello everyone!

I was wondering whether anyone signed up for the ski lessons in Les Brasses starting this Sunday afternoon? We have a space in our car if anyone needs a lift.

Bon ski!

Hello everyone!

I was wondering whether anyone signed up for the ski lessons in Les Brasses starting this Sunday afternoon? We have a space in our car if anyone needs a lift.

Bon ski!

Clara M, Dec 31, 2010 @ 11:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Helllo, though late,, wonder if i can join please..

Helllo, though late,, wonder if i can join please..

malo, Jan 9, 2011 @ 15:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Hi, 

Looks like this weekend is pretty ok for snow! Anyone interested in a ski day trip on Saturday?

I live in Lausanne, do not have a car available but Verbier or Leysin for example are easy to reach by train. Anyone interested in joining? My level is beyond the beginner stage, pretty comfortable on the blues - looking to try the reds. 

Esther

Hi, 

Looks like this weekend is pretty ok for snow! Anyone interested in a ski day trip on Saturday?

I live in Lausanne, do not have a car available but Verbier or Leysin for example are easy to reach by train. Anyone interested in joining? My level is beyond the beginner stage, pretty comfortable on the blues - looking to try the reds. 

Esther

Esther D, Jan 13, 2011 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
41 Replies | 2484 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form