Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > Exchange Things > Language Exchange Meeting?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Language Exchange Meeting?

"Hi all,

Just wondered who speaks to native speakers of the languages you're learning (German, French, Italian, Chinese, Russian etc.) to practise and learn the language that way?

I'm currently using http://www.easylanguageexchange.com/ to find language partners and have made a lot of great friends on there, everyone's really friendly and is a real confidence booster - is anybody else on there?

Thought this might be useful; in my experience practising and learning languages with native speakers is much better than reading a book etc.

What do you think?"

The text you are quoting:

"Hi all,

Just wondered who speaks to native speakers of the languages you're learning (German, French, Italian, Chinese, Russian etc.) to practise and learn the language that way?

I'm currently using http://www.easylanguageexchange.com/ to find language partners and have made a lot of great friends on there, everyone's really friendly and is a real confidence booster - is anybody else on there?

Thought this might be useful; in my experience practising and learning languages with native speakers is much better than reading a book etc.

What do you think?"

Sam PetersMar 1, 2013 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

46 Replies | 3073 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Language Exchange Meeting?
Post 1

Hi !

I didn't know this website, I'll check it.
But I agree, speaking with native speakers is a great help !
I can read English ok but speaking is a whole different story...

Hi !

I didn't know this website, I'll check it.
But I agree, speaking with native speakers is a great help !
I can read English ok but speaking is a whole different story...

Xavier L, Mar 3, 2013 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi,

I agree.. it's so difficult for me too! Check it out, it really has helped me!!!

Hi,

I agree.. it's so difficult for me too! Check it out, it really has helped me!!!

Sam Peters, Mar 4, 2013 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

That sounds really interesting, I can read quite a lot of french but speaking is so difficult and I dont get the practice. Il check this site out. Smile

That sounds really interesting, I can read quite a lot of french but speaking is so difficult and I dont get the practice. Il check this site out. Smile

Jan S, Mar 4, 2013 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I complete understand what you mean Jan, I was having the same problem as you. Understanding comes quicker than actually speaking :)

I complete understand what you mean Jan, I was having the same problem as you. Understanding comes quicker than actually speaking :)

Sam Peters, Mar 18, 2013 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

So how do you find somebody close to you? I checked out the web site and it provides a lot of hits for my language of desire, but I don't even know if they're in the same country...

So how do you find somebody close to you? I checked out the web site and it provides a lot of hits for my language of desire, but I don't even know if they're in the same country...

Niklas O, Mar 18, 2013 @ 23:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hiya,

This is a online language exchange site, so it works a little like skype. You add the people who correspond to your learning needs and then you can chat, audio and video.

I

Hiya,

This is a online language exchange site, so it works a little like skype. You add the people who correspond to your learning needs and then you can chat, audio and video.

I

Sam Peters, Mar 19, 2013 @ 09:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi again Niklas,

I just noticed that you can now see which country the person lives in, maybe that will help you!

Hi again Niklas,

I just noticed that you can now see which country the person lives in, maybe that will help you!

Sam Peters, Mar 22, 2013 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks Sam. I thought at first this service was to find people close to you and actually meet them. Doing a language exchange over a chat, well I guess it's possible. Maybe I'm just too old fashioned...

Thanks Sam. I thought at first this service was to find people close to you and actually meet them. Doing a language exchange over a chat, well I guess it's possible. Maybe I'm just too old fashioned...

Niklas O, Mar 22, 2013 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Speaking with natives has always been the best way to learn a language. Thanks for the website, I didn't know this one.

Speaking with natives has always been the best way to learn a language. Thanks for the website, I didn't know this one.

bertrand hubert r, Mar 22, 2013 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hey again Niklas,

You never know unless you try :) I understand, you always learn quicker when you feel comfortable!

Hey again Niklas,

You never know unless you try :) I understand, you always learn quicker when you feel comfortable!

Sam Peters, Mar 25, 2013 @ 10:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hey,

Your welcome, I'll see if I can find you on the site!

Hey,

Your welcome, I'll see if I can find you on the site!

Sam Peters, Mar 25, 2013 @ 10:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hope your enjoying your vacation :)

I know, when you put so much effort into learning it, I can understand that you don't want to forget it!

See you soon!

Hope your enjoying your vacation :)

I know, when you put so much effort into learning it, I can understand that you don't want to forget it!

See you soon!

Sam Peters, Mar 26, 2013 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Se vivi in Vevey dovrebbe essere facile trovare qualcuno per praticare francese...

Se vivi in Vevey dovrebbe essere facile trovare qualcuno per praticare francese...

Niklas O, Mar 26, 2013 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Jan 1, 70 01:00

So good luck finding French speaking people, that work nights and who are your age Smile

So good luck finding French speaking people, that work nights and who are your age Smile

Niklas O, Mar 26, 2013 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Oh yeah, that might be a little difficult.

Oh yeah, that might be a little difficult.

Sam Peters, Mar 26, 2013 @ 20:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Happy Easter, Joyeuses Pâques, Buona Pasqua Everyone!

Happy Easter, Joyeuses Pâques, Buona Pasqua Everyone!

Sam Peters, Mar 29, 2013 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

sono curiosa di provare questo sito... grazie

thanks for the information...

sono curiosa di provare questo sito... grazie

thanks for the information...

Federica P, Mar 29, 2013 @ 17:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

It's good in practice if you know some of the language and can string a few words togehter, but how about if you're a complete beginner? I'd love to learn Arabic but wouldn't know where to start!!

It's good in practice if you know some of the language and can string a few words togehter, but how about if you're a complete beginner? I'd love to learn Arabic but wouldn't know where to start!!

Frank Smith, Mar 29, 2013 @ 19:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Chat as a language exchange is all very well but is of little real value if the partners  are not native speakers  and, moreover, do not (or, worse, are unable to) correct  mistakes.

R.

Chat as a language exchange is all very well but is of little real value if the partners  are not native speakers  and, moreover, do not (or, worse, are unable to) correct  mistakes.

R.

Ritchie, Mar 29, 2013 @ 19:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

I logged on that site, but nothing interesting right now. 

Chatting over internet is less interesting that it was in the past... when I was chatting with Doctor Who fans after each new episodes....

Do you need too to have something that interest you to progress in a language ?

I logged on that site, but nothing interesting right now. 

Chatting over internet is less interesting that it was in the past... when I was chatting with Doctor Who fans after each new episodes....

Do you need too to have something that interest you to progress in a language ?

bertrand hubert r, Mar 29, 2013 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Wouldn’t you say that a mutual interest or experience helps to kick-start any form of communication?  If all goes well, the “conversation” will develop from there.  If it doesn’t, then maybe the other party isn’t the right partner for you at that particular time.

R.

Wouldn’t you say that a mutual interest or experience helps to kick-start any form of communication?  If all goes well, the “conversation” will develop from there.  If it doesn’t, then maybe the other party isn’t the right partner for you at that particular time.

R.

Ritchie, Mar 29, 2013 @ 21:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Actually, we need to practice with different people, different methods and with a wide diversity of contexts to learn a language.

That's why I created this group, here in Glocals : http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva-french-english-language-exchange-group.htm

And I suggest some rules (look in the group's details). I also suggest to share a language exchange with people of the same level as you (when possible), and to specifically spend some brief cessions on skills (like pronunciation) you specially need to work on.

It is good also to have some material (like books, articles, comics, whatever you like) to support your learning process and to enrich your exchange.

Most of all, it is good to be proactive, creative, empathic, fair, to really share and consider your respective difficulties with your partners, that is not being competitive i.e.:  speaking as mush as you can so that you practice more than your partner.

Learning a language is also a social practice when you also learn how to best collaborate and to move on.

Actually, we need to practice with different people, different methods and with a wide diversity of contexts to learn a language.

That's why I created this group, here in Glocals : http://www.glocals.com/groups/geneva-french-english-language-exchange-group.htm

And I suggest some rules (look in the group's details). I also suggest to share a language exchange with people of the same level as you (when possible), and to specifically spend some brief cessions on skills (like pronunciation) you specially need to work on.

It is good also to have some material (like books, articles, comics, whatever you like) to support your learning process and to enrich your exchange.

Most of all, it is good to be proactive, creative, empathic, fair, to really share and consider your respective difficulties with your partners, that is not being competitive i.e.:  speaking as mush as you can so that you practice more than your partner.

Learning a language is also a social practice when you also learn how to best collaborate and to move on.

Rene G, Mar 30, 2013 @ 10:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Language exchange

While I agree with your suggestions for group exchange, they aren’t  quite so easy to follow in a tandem, especially if the partners have different objectives – one, say, is only interested in social chit-chat while the other is more concerned with job interviews or coping with the “régie” or the school teacher.

I also believe that a group works better under the guidance of a moderator who has a pretty fair grasp of the nuances of the two languages involved.  As very simple examples:  “of course” isn’t always the appropriate English expression for  “bien sûr” just as “d’accord” isn’t the be-and-end-all translation of “OK”.

A good moderator will also encourage the diffident participant and temper the enthusiastic know-it- all.  (There always seems to be at least one of each in any group.)

Meantime, best wishes for the success of your own activity,

R.

Language exchange

While I agree with your suggestions for group exchange, they aren’t  quite so easy to follow in a tandem, especially if the partners have different objectives – one, say, is only interested in social chit-chat while the other is more concerned with job interviews or coping with the “régie” or the school teacher.

I also believe that a group works better under the guidance of a moderator who has a pretty fair grasp of the nuances of the two languages involved.  As very simple examples:  “of course” isn’t always the appropriate English expression for  “bien sûr” just as “d’accord” isn’t the be-and-end-all translation of “OK”.

A good moderator will also encourage the diffident participant and temper the enthusiastic know-it- all.  (There always seems to be at least one of each in any group.)

Meantime, best wishes for the success of your own activity,

R.

Ritchie, Mar 31, 2013 @ 18:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Finding the right language exchange partner takes time. I

f you know what you want from the language exchange, you need to take the lead in the conversation.. for example, for each language exchange meeting, have something prepared, or give each other some homework so that you can review it during the next meeting, read online articles together, talk about when you were little etc

Listen to what the other person wants and if it's a match then great, if not just be honest with the person, as more often than not, your levels do not suit!

You only learn from experience!

Happy learning everyone :)

Finding the right language exchange partner takes time. I

f you know what you want from the language exchange, you need to take the lead in the conversation.. for example, for each language exchange meeting, have something prepared, or give each other some homework so that you can review it during the next meeting, read online articles together, talk about when you were little etc

Listen to what the other person wants and if it's a match then great, if not just be honest with the person, as more often than not, your levels do not suit!

You only learn from experience!

Happy learning everyone :)

Sam Peters, Apr 4, 2013 @ 12:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Having used language exchange sites have really helped me, I have so much more confidence than before, it does take time but you have to keep at it! Has anyone else had the same experience?

If so, I would love to hear about it and I think it would help motivate other language learners :)

Having used language exchange sites have really helped me, I have so much more confidence than before, it does take time but you have to keep at it! Has anyone else had the same experience?

If so, I would love to hear about it and I think it would help motivate other language learners :)

Sam Peters, Apr 28, 2013 @ 15:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Thought this was interesting;

Franglais row: Is the English language conquering France

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22607506

Thought this was interesting;

Franglais row: Is the English language conquering France

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22607506

Sam Peters, May 27, 2013 @ 21:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Hush, whisper who dares, English lingo has conquered la belle France, but France la belle, she don’t know.

Hush, whisper who dares, English lingo has conquered la belle France, but France la belle, she don’t know.

Ritchie, May 27, 2013 @ 22:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Very true, but she has got to find out somehow.... :)

Very true, but she has got to find out somehow.... :)

Sam Peters, May 28, 2013 @ 13:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

What about asking la très chère Académie to help?

What about asking la très chère Académie to help?

Ritchie, May 28, 2013 @ 13:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Well it looks intersting to have such kind of leaning course.

Well it looks intersting to have such kind of leaning course.

hassel lee, May 31, 2013 @ 08:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

I was told about this one too - seems too good to be true.  Has anyone any experience with it?

http://vraiment.info/parlezfrancais/index.html

I was told about this one too - seems too good to be true.  Has anyone any experience with it?

http://vraiment.info/parlezfrancais/index.html

hucklewoo, Jun 5, 2013 @ 14:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Hi Sam

Many thanks for the adresse, I would like practise my English and help with French and Spanish

have a nice day

cordially

Jenny

Hi Sam

Many thanks for the adresse, I would like practise my English and help with French and Spanish

have a nice day

cordially

Jenny

jeal, Jun 11, 2013 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

shewan D, Jun 21, 2013 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Your very welcome, I think it's important to share this kind of information... we all know how much motivate is required to learn :)

Your very welcome, I think it's important to share this kind of information... we all know how much motivate is required to learn :)

Sam Peters, Jun 28, 2013 @ 19:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

How is everyone's language learning going?

Any more tips that can be shared?

I've come a long way, definitely getting better with my speaking and reading.. but I know I can always do more?

How is everyone's language learning going?

Any more tips that can be shared?

I've come a long way, definitely getting better with my speaking and reading.. but I know I can always do more?

Sam Peters, Jul 28, 2013 @ 15:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

So there are benefits:

http://www.spring.org.uk/2013/09/10-superb-psychological-advantages-of-learning-another-language.php

So there are benefits:

http://www.spring.org.uk/2013/09/10-superb-psychological-advantages-of-learning-another-language.php

Sam Peters, Sep 21, 2013 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Has anyone seen the changes to the ELE site?

What do you all think?

Has anyone seen the changes to the ELE site?

What do you all think?

Sam Peters, Nov 5, 2013 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Just to let you all know there is a meet up group/conversation exchange every Tuesday and Thursday on ELE http://www.easylanguageexchange.com/

Just putting it out there for people who want to meet native speakers and practice a language!

See you soon!

Just to let you all know there is a meet up group/conversation exchange every Tuesday and Thursday on ELE http://www.easylanguageexchange.com/

Just putting it out there for people who want to meet native speakers and practice a language!

See you soon!

Sam Peters, Nov 11, 2013 @ 18:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

"Hi all,

What do you think?"

Mar 1, 13 10:20

Spanish for French?? Is someone interested?

Cheers!

Spanish for French?? Is someone interested?

Cheers!

PALOMA B, Nov 11, 2013 @ 21:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

PALOMA B, I hope you found someone!

Are you looking for face-2-face? 

And are you using any other resorces?

PALOMA B, I hope you found someone!

Are you looking for face-2-face? 

And are you using any other resorces?

Sam Peters, Dec 11, 2013 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Hello Sam! I didn´t :(

For me is better face-2-face but I could try with skype or something else. Do u know if someone is interested?

Cheers,

Paloma

Hello Sam! I didn´t :(

For me is better face-2-face but I could try with skype or something else. Do u know if someone is interested?

Cheers,

Paloma

PALOMA B, Dec 11, 2013 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Je vous souhaite Une très bonne année 2014 Smile

Je vous souhaite Une très bonne année 2014 Smile

Sam Peters, Jan 6, 2014 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Rene G, Jan 6, 2014 @ 15:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Hello my fellow language learner friends,

How are you? 

So, it's near half year through 2014, anyone got any stories to share? Experiences? Methods of learning?

I need some motivation :)

Hello my fellow language learner friends,

How are you? 

So, it's near half year through 2014, anyone got any stories to share? Experiences? Methods of learning?

I need some motivation :)

Sam Peters, Jun 6, 2014 @ 07:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Hello,

Here is some good advice:

http://addicted2languages.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/how-to-get-a-good-language-exchange-partner/

Hello,

Here is some good advice:

http://addicted2languages.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/how-to-get-a-good-language-exchange-partner/

Sam Peters, Aug 17, 2014 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

R.

Mar 29, 13 19:39

I completely agree, I've had many experiences like this. It does take time but along the way, you learn so much about people and then eventually it becomes easiler to find someone as you know exactly what you are looking for, hence saving you lots of time and money!!!

I completely agree, I've had many experiences like this. It does take time but along the way, you learn so much about people and then eventually it becomes easiler to find someone as you know exactly what you are looking for, hence saving you lots of time and money!!!

Sam Peters, Sep 4, 2015 @ 21:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
46 Replies | 3073 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form