Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > 1000 non-active members deleted

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
1000 non-active members deleted
In case you noticed the number of memebers dropped by 1000 people overnight: it's because we regularly delete members who havn't activated their account in the past 6 months.

So yesterday was the 'day of the axe' at glocals.

Nir

The text you are quoting:
In case you noticed the number of memebers dropped by 1000 people overnight: it's because we regularly delete members who havn't activated their account in the past 6 months.

Nir
Nir OfekAug 5, 2009 @ 00:17

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

39 Replies | 2534 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: 1000 non-active members deleted
Post 1
Nir has the "AXE" factor
Nir has the "AXE" factor
doublegin, Aug 5, 2009 @ 00:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
[quote]

User#=387. Name=Fondue. Last Visit: Sep 24, 2008

User#=390. Name=katia. Last Visit: Apr 8, 2008

User#=393. Name=Dr_marc. Last Visit: Jan 28, 2007

User#=396. Name=katie. Last Visit: Jun 4, 2008

[/quote]

Did the axe get blunt or what?
[quote]

User#=387. Name=Fondue. Last Visit: Sep 24, 2008

User#=390. Name=katia. Last Visit: Apr 8, 2008

User#=393. Name=Dr_marc. Last Visit: Jan 28, 2007

User#=396. Name=katie. Last Visit: Jun 4, 2008

[/quote]

Did the axe get blunt or what?
hayes, Aug 5, 2009 @ 01:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Doublegin: sadly, the only thing my axe factor gets me is a bit of blood on my shoes... :)

Marina: real freaky indeed. I found it while doing a google search on 'axe-murderer', and I actually think it's taken from some children's book!. Why was I looking for 'axe murderer' on google? The voices asked me to.

Hayes: we deleted members who didn't activate their account, not who didn't log in.

Doublegin: sadly, the only thing my axe factor gets me is a bit of blood on my shoes... :)

Marina: real freaky indeed. I found it while doing a google search on 'axe-murderer', and I actually think it's taken from some children's book!. Why was I looking for 'axe murderer' on google? The voices asked me to.

Hayes: we deleted members who didn't activate their account, not who didn't log in.
Nir Ofek, Aug 5, 2009 @ 01:47

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
[quote]In case you noticed the number of memebers dropped by 1000 people overnight: it's because we regularlydelete members who havn't activated their account in the past 6 months.

Nir[/quote]

Hey hang on a minute, your picture is of a hockey game, one of the most most fun games about, and that guy in the bull's eye zone is actually holding an oversized ice cream - that is not an axe. Besides, a true Canauck's preferred would be chainsaw - much quicker, cleaner than an axe if you don't mind the noise ! Nir, you should know that.
[quote]In case you noticed the number of memebers dropped by 1000 people overnight: it's because we regularlydelete members who havn't activated their account in the past 6 months.

Nir[/quote]

Hey hang on a minute, your picture is of a hockey game, one of the most most fun games about, and that guy in the bull's eye zone is actually holding an oversized ice cream - that is not an axe. Besides, a true Canauck's preferred would be chainsaw - much quicker, cleaner than an axe if you don't mind the noise ! Nir, you should know that.
Poster, Aug 5, 2009 @ 09:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
axe indeed......( it really is an ice cream ) "honi soit qui mal y pense"
axe indeed......( it really is an ice cream ) "honi soit qui mal y pense"
epicure, Aug 5, 2009 @ 10:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Poster:

I'm guessing it's another case of us seeing what we want to see and what's on our minds: you see a happy friendly ice-cream, I see a bloody deranged guy holding an axe...(-;

Have a great day my friend, see you on campus.

Nir Bundy

Poster:

I'm guessing it's another case of us seeing what we want to see and what's on our minds: you see a happy friendly ice-cream, I see a bloody deranged guy holding an axe...(-;

Have a great day my friend, see you on campus.

Nir Bundy
Nir Ofek, Aug 5, 2009 @ 10:18

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Axe it is... Your pic is from the 2007 edition. Here is a zoom of the 2008 calendar:

Axe it is... Your pic is from the 2007 edition. Here is a zoom of the 2008 calendar:

Casuistik, Aug 5, 2009 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
[quote]Axe it is... Your pic is from the 2007 edition. Here is a zoom of the 2008 calendar:

[/quote]

The original picture was of the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. Your picture shows 2 cops with keppikepi which are not Canadian ..... hence the henchman has been caught plying his trade in Europe somewhere. Besides, the cop looks like he's holding a willy warmer ...... not a weapon of mass destruction !
[quote]Axe it is... Your pic is from the 2007 edition. Here is a zoom of the 2008 calendar:

[/quote]

The original picture was of the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. Your picture shows 2 cops with keppikepi which are not Canadian ..... hence the henchman has been caught plying his trade in Europe somewhere. Besides, the cop looks like he's holding a willy warmer ...... not a weapon of mass destruction !
Poster, Aug 5, 2009 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
[quote][b]

Nir_ (04/08/2009)[/b]

Hayes: we deleted members who didn't activate their account, not who didn't log in.[/quote]

Ohhhh, when you said in the title "1000 non-active members deleted" I thought you were referring to the accounts of members that, y'know, weren't active...

[quote][b]

Villarsvilla (05/08/2009)[/b]

Too sharp an axe and glocals would have to throw the 2'000 members party all over again.[/quote]

Heh. My very next line was going to be something like that "But trimming another couple of thousand could have given you a few months respite between the beach party and 30,000 members party".
[quote][b]

Nir_ (04/08/2009)[/b]

Hayes: we deleted members who didn't activate their account, not who didn't log in.[/quote]

Ohhhh, when you said in the title "1000 non-active members deleted" I thought you were referring to the accounts of members that, y'know, weren't active...

[quote][b]

Too sharp an axe and glocals would have to throw the 2'000 members party all over again.[/quote]

Heh. My very next line was going to be something like that "But trimming another couple of thousand could have given you a few months respite between the beach party and 30,000 members party".
hayes, Aug 5, 2009 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
[quote][b]

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."[/quote]

This is my opinion, if you don't agree I've got big brothers.
[quote][b]

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."[/quote]

This is my opinion, if you don't agree I've got big brothers.
hayes, Aug 5, 2009 @ 12:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
So what seems to be the "need" to pump up the numbers of glocals members?

Frankly, if someone has not even signed onto the site in the last six months (ok be generous and say 12 months), I think that it is a bit of a stretch to call them a member.

Cut the numbers back to the 2-3'000 people who are active and be done with it. If someone comes back to the site and wants to re-activate their name, let them.

Clean up the clutter!

Frankly, if someone has not even signed onto the site in the last six months (ok be generous and say 12 months), I think that it is a bit of a stretch to call them a member.

Cut the numbers back to the 2-3'000 people who are active and be done with it. If someone comes back to the site and wants to re-activate their name, let them.

Clean up the clutter!
Verbier, Aug 5, 2009 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
[quote][b]

Verbier (05/08/2009)[/b]

[/quote]

You must have written/read a few CVs in your time, Verbier.
[quote][b]

Verbier (05/08/2009)[/b]

[/quote]

You must have written/read a few CVs in your time, Verbier.
hayes, Aug 5, 2009 @ 13:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
Hi Hayes. Of course, but now I have found "Religion" :D
Hi Hayes. Of course, but now I have found "Religion" :D
Verbier, Aug 5, 2009 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
[quote][quote]Axe it is... Your pic is from the 2007 edition. Here is a zoom of the 2008 calendar:

[/quote]

The original picture was of the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. Your picture shows 2 cops with keppikepi which are not Canadian ..... hence the henchman has been caught plying his trade in Europe somewhere. Besides, the cop looks like he's holding a willy warmer ...... not a weapon of mass destruction ![/quote]

My bad; I didn't realize that Hanover was in Canada...

The killer is supposed to be Fritz Harmann, [i]who killed 24 young people during a murderous spree in Hanover after the First World War. He chopped up their bodies and dumped the remains in the River Leine. The victims were between the ages of 13 and 20.

Harmaan was sentenced to death and beheaded in 1925. [/i]

[quote][quote]Axe it is... Your pic is from the 2007 edition. Here is a zoom of the 2008 calendar:

[/quote]

The original picture was of the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. Your picture shows 2 cops with keppikepi which are not Canadian ..... hence the henchman has been caught plying his trade in Europe somewhere. Besides, the cop looks like he's holding a willy warmer ...... not a weapon of mass destruction ![/quote]

My bad; I didn't realize that Hanover was in Canada...

The killer is supposed to be Fritz Harmann, [i]who killed 24 young people during a murderous spree in Hanover after the First World War. He chopped up their bodies and dumped the remains in the River Leine. The victims were between the ages of 13 and 20.

Harmaan was sentenced to death and beheaded in 1925. [/i]

Casuistik, Aug 5, 2009 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Hmm... 6 months will be a problem fo rpeople who are working abroad for longer periods. I know a guy who's here in Gva for 3 months, but than can be send somewhere for 7 months. Disapointing when you're coming back and your profile is deleted :P

Obviously the amount of registered members will attract bigger sponsers. How to reach those members is another question because they never sign in or not even activated their account.. hahaha :P 

Hmm... 6 months will be a problem fo rpeople who are working abroad for longer periods. I know a guy who's here in Gva for 3 months, but than can be send somewhere for 7 months. Disapointing when you're coming back and your profile is deleted :P

Obviously the amount of registered members will attract bigger sponsers. How to reach those members is another question because they never sign in or not even activated their account.. hahaha :P 
Arnovd, Aug 6, 2009 @ 01:20

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
Yo Tinks,

You raised a few seperate points, here's my thinking on each. Feedback / ideas welcome. 

1. First, a bit of data (rounded), to put the discussion in perspective:

• Total members: 31,000
  • Member who logged on in:
    • past 6 months: 18,000 (58%)
    • past 12 months: 21,000 (68%)

2. Do total number of members effect ad revenues?
Yes and no:

• Yes, because a large total number gets glocals noticed by advertisers.
  • No, because after noticing us, advertisers look at 2 other key things - not related to number of members - to determine if to advertise here:
    • # of monthly page views
    • # of unique monthly visitors

3. Which members do we currently remove? 
We deleted around 4,000 members in the past year. These are members who either didn't activate their account for a long period, or who were in-active for a long while. We don't have a fixed policy yet on when to delete members, to be frank.   

4. Should we remove ALL non-active members?
If we remove all members who didn't log on in the past 12 months, we'd remove around 10,000 members. That's do-able. Until now we decided not to do it mainly cos it allowed us to show a higher total number of members - which helps us get noticed (it also helped that the way our current system is built, mass-deleting is a pain in the ass time-wise).  

5. Is glocals becoming too big?
This is a totally different question than the active vs non-active memebrs discussion, and here's my thoughts:

• I'm thrilled at the growth we've had, and the growth rate is increasing.
  • For sure, maintaining a unique spirit is a bigger challenge with 30,000 members than with 300 members. But it's possible. 
  • We're constantly debating about 3 key routes to help keep the glocals spirit, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on them:
    • Limiting who can join glocals. We can do this by making it an 'invitation only' community, or only allowing in members who came to an event, etc.
    • Allowing more privacy settings, so members can easily interact only with specific other members. Currently, it's pretty much that any member can see / write to any other member. We can easily allow each member to be more 'private'.
    • Enabling more 'community policying'. This would mean that members would be able to quickly flag and remove other members who don't play by the rules. For example, it would mean that if more than 5 members report someone else as 'spam', that someone else would be automatically blocked.

Happy to hear your thoughts,

Nir

Yo Tinks,

You raised a few seperate points, here's my thinking on each. Feedback / ideas welcome. 

1. First, a bit of data (rounded), to put the discussion in perspective:

• Total members: 31,000
  • Member who logged on in:
    • past 6 months: 18,000 (58%)
    • past 12 months: 21,000 (68%)

2. Do total number of members effect ad revenues?
Yes and no:

• Yes, because a large total number gets glocals noticed by advertisers.
  • No, because after noticing us, advertisers look at 2 other key things - not related to number of members - to determine if to advertise here:
    • # of monthly page views
    • # of unique monthly visitors

3. Which members do we currently remove? 
We deleted around 4,000 members in the past year. These are members who either didn't activate their account for a long period, or who were in-active for a long while. We don't have a fixed policy yet on when to delete members, to be frank.   

4. Should we remove ALL non-active members?
If we remove all members who didn't log on in the past 12 months, we'd remove around 10,000 members. That's do-able. Until now we decided not to do it mainly cos it allowed us to show a higher total number of members - which helps us get noticed (it also helped that the way our current system is built, mass-deleting is a pain in the ass time-wise).  

5. Is glocals becoming too big?
This is a totally different question than the active vs non-active memebrs discussion, and here's my thoughts:

• I'm thrilled at the growth we've had, and the growth rate is increasing.
  • For sure, maintaining a unique spirit is a bigger challenge with 30,000 members than with 300 members. But it's possible. 
  • We're constantly debating about 3 key routes to help keep the glocals spirit, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on them:
    • Limiting who can join glocals. We can do this by making it an 'invitation only' community, or only allowing in members who came to an event, etc.
    • Allowing more privacy settings, so members can easily interact only with specific other members. Currently, it's pretty much that any member can see / write to any other member. We can easily allow each member to be more 'private'.
    • Enabling more 'community policying'. This would mean that members would be able to quickly flag and remove other members who don't play by the rules. For example, it would mean that if more than 5 members report someone else as 'spam', that someone else would be automatically blocked.

Happy to hear your thoughts,

Nir

Nir Ofek, Aug 6, 2009 @ 01:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
[quote][b]

Arnovd (05/08/2009)[/b]

How to reach those members is another question because they never sign in or not even activated their account.. hahaha :P[/quote]

The technology you are thinking of is email.

You know those people that write that they can speak French on their profiles but all that really means is that they can drunkenly sing along with the chorus Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)? The whole situation is like that but different.
[quote][b]

Arnovd (05/08/2009)[/b]

How to reach those members is another question because they never sign in or not even activated their account.. hahaha :P[/quote]

The technology you are thinking of is email.

You know those people that write that they can speak French on their profiles but all that really means is that they can drunkenly sing along with the chorus Voulez-vous coucher avec moi (ce soir)? The whole situation is like that but different.
hayes, Aug 6, 2009 @ 10:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
Thanks Nir.

I would go with the 12 month clean up. The 21'000 number is more realistic. The concept of members (for me) is that they are "active". Not some number of all of the people who have ever signed up for Glocals.

If you can, you can leave the names in a "suspense file" so the person if they come back can reactivate the account.
Thanks Nir.

I would go with the 12 month clean up. The 21'000 number is more realistic. The concept of members (for me) is that they are "active". Not some number of all of the people who have ever signed up for Glocals.

If you can, you can leave the names in a "suspense file" so the person if they come back can reactivate the account.
Verbier, Aug 6, 2009 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
[quote][b]

Verbier (06/08/2009)[/b]

I would go with the 12 month clean up. The 21'000 number is more realistic.

[/quote]

But 21,000 is fewer members than the quoted 27,000 registered with englishforum.ch. Then Glocals could no longer claim to be the "Largest community of Expats & international locals in Switzerland, in English". I suggest selecting a time window that'll let the number hover around the number of EF members + ~2000. That's pretty much how things are now.
[quote][b]

Verbier (06/08/2009)[/b]

I would go with the 12 month clean up. The 21'000 number is more realistic.

[/quote]

But 21,000 is fewer members than the quoted 27,000 registered with englishforum.ch. Then Glocals could no longer claim to be the "Largest community of Expats & international locals in Switzerland, in English". I suggest selecting a time window that'll let the number hover around the number of EF members + ~2000. That's pretty much how things are now.
hayes, Aug 6, 2009 @ 14:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
Hayes, we have a ways to go. They are posting 34'771
Hayes, we have a ways to go. They are posting 34'771
Verbier, Aug 6, 2009 @ 14:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
[quote][b]

Verbier (06/08/2009)[/b]

Hayes, we have a ways to go. They are posting 34'771[/quote]

Weird! The page says 26,886 to me!

So what you're saying is that Glocals can't really make that claim anyway?
[quote][b]

Verbier (06/08/2009)[/b]

Hayes, we have a ways to go. They are posting 34'771[/quote]

Weird! The page says 26,886 to me!

So what you're saying is that Glocals can't really make that claim anyway?
hayes, Aug 6, 2009 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22
No no no, OK, sorry, my bad. Different page. I will start registering false accounts forthwith.
No no no, OK, sorry, my bad. Different page. I will start registering false accounts forthwith.
hayes, Aug 6, 2009 @ 15:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23
Members: 34,711

Threads: 48,679

Top Poster: Lob (8,468)

I am logged on at the moment.
Members: 34,711

Threads: 48,679

Top Poster: Lob (8,468)

I am logged on at the moment.
Verbier, Aug 6, 2009 @ 15:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24
Verbier:

Gracias.

Short term, we'll keep deleting around 4,000 members / year. But we're still not ready to go all the way to categorically deleting EVERYONE who hasn't logged on in the past 12 months.

Longer term, I love the idea of having a community with only active members. But we ain't there yet. It reminds me of an idea I read of on Techcrunch: a "1000 Only" network. Only 1000 people would be let into the community, and each month the folks who were least active, or whose posts got the lowest reviews, would be removed. In their place, new folks would be let in. I don't know if it was ever launched, but it would be an interesting experiment!

Verbier:

Gracias.

Short term, we'll keep deleting around 4,000 members / year. But we're still not ready to go all the way to categorically deleting EVERYONE who hasn't logged on in the past 12 months.

Longer term, I love the idea of having a community with only active members. But we ain't there yet. It reminds me of an idea I read of on Techcrunch: a "1000 Only" network. Only 1000 people would be let into the community, and each month the folks who were least active, or whose posts got the lowest reviews, would be removed. In their place, new folks would be let in. I don't know if it was ever launched, but it would be an interesting experiment!
Nir Ofek, Aug 6, 2009 @ 19:57

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Hello

Not to sound too much as a blood hungry creature, but can we get another Axe performance?

Some profiles are wandering in glocals, with last logins back in 2010 2011 2012... you get my point

Hello

Not to sound too much as a blood hungry creature, but can we get another Axe performance?

Some profiles are wandering in glocals, with last logins back in 2010 2011 2012... you get my point

Guillermo, Aug 3, 2016 @ 22:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Well I haven't been active in a long while,  since I moved back to Australia.  But I am glad I still exist on the system for times like now when I come to visit Geneva.  It allows me to easily catch up with friends and be sociable. 

Well I haven't been active in a long while,  since I moved back to Australia.  But I am glad I still exist on the system for times like now when I come to visit Geneva.  It allows me to easily catch up with friends and be sociable. 

Kiriel, Aug 4, 2016 @ 00:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

I am trying to remember...  My membership number was some crazy small number... 

Kiriel, Aug 4, 2016 @ 00:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

Aug 4, 16 00:51

WoW - how lovely to hear from you Kiriel.

I hope that you are well!!

AND yes, we are the first one's, we are in the first 1600 members. Cool

Let us know when you are visiting Geneva, take care and a big hug.

WoW - how lovely to hear from you Kiriel.

I hope that you are well!!

AND yes, we are the first one's, we are in the first 1600 members. Cool

Let us know when you are visiting Geneva, take care and a big hug.

SWISS, Aug 4, 2016 @ 21:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

I am not talking about people posting or not, but people Not logging in.

With a last visit in 2009, can you honestly tell me if the below profile has any interest in glocals????

LouiseK - In Geneva. From Spain.
"Life is what you make it so get me the cook book"
Member since Nov, 2007
Last visit Nov, 2009
1 Friend

I am not talking about people posting or not, but people Not logging in.

With a last visit in 2009, can you honestly tell me if the below profile has any interest in glocals????

LouiseK - In Geneva. From Spain.
"Life is what you make it so get me the cook book"
Member since Nov, 2007
Last visit Nov, 2009
1 Friend

Guillermo, Aug 4, 2016 @ 22:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Hi Guillermo.

I really don't know what your problem - people don't need to log in to see what goes on Glocals, you get the info on your e-mail, if you belong to a group, ect.

As for me - please get a life - best wishes.

Hi Guillermo.

I really don't know what your problem - people don't need to log in to see what goes on Glocals, you get the info on your e-mail, if you belong to a group, ect.

As for me - please get a life - best wishes.

SWISS, Aug 4, 2016 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
39 Replies | 2534 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form