Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Scam Alert! Swissler Royal/Berghaus Knives

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Scam Alert! Swissler Royal/Berghaus Knives
I was just approached in St. Prex, Vaud, Suisse (near Geneva) by a Dutchman claiming to be a sales person from Swissler Royal (Berghaus).  He told me that he was returning to Holland from Geneva after a trade show at the Palace Hotel in Montreux and had a number of samples that he could not carry on the aircraft and was trying to sell at a substantial discount.  He opened the back of his black Mercedes 4x4 and had about 12-15 cases of knife sets.  It seemed pretty suspicious and I declined partly as his speech seemed too well rehearsed for the once-off situation he was describing.

When I just got home I did an internet search for Swissler Royal and Berghaus and it seems this same Dutchman has been doing the same scam since at least 2004!  It must be paying well as he seems to have no shortage of luxury cars and travels all through Europe!

The text you are quoting:
I was just approached in St. Prex, Vaud, Suisse (near Geneva) by a Dutchman claiming to be a sales person from Swissler Royal (Berghaus).  He told me that he was returning to Holland from Geneva after a trade show at the Palace Hotel in Montreux and had a number of samples that he could not carry on the aircraft and was trying to sell at a substantial discount.  He opened the back of his black Mercedes 4x4 and had about 12-15 cases of knife sets.  It seemed pretty suspicious and I declined partly as his speech seemed too well rehearsed for the once-off situation he was describing.

When I just got home I did an internet search for Swissler Royal and Berghaus and it seems this same Dutchman has been doing the same scam since at least 2004!  It must be paying well as he seems to have no shortage of luxury cars and travels all through Europe!
tnielsenJun 15, 2009 @ 19:41

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 45320 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Scam Alert! Swissler Royal/Berghaus Knives
Post 1
Same thing happens quite often, with Italians selling leather jackets from the back of their luxury cars (in supermarket car-parks). They just simply 'have to get rid of the stuff' before returning to HQ... 'shame'... Heads up people! :o) J.
Same thing happens quite often, with Italians selling leather jackets from the back of their luxury cars (in supermarket car-parks). They just simply 'have to get rid of the stuff' before returning to HQ... 'shame'... Heads up people! :o) J.
JulianT, Jun 15, 2009 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks for the warning guys. There's just no end to the scams out there!
Thanks for the warning guys. There's just no end to the scams out there!
Nir Ofek, Jun 16, 2009 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
.. hey, i got "caught" by this same guy back in 2004 at the WTC in geneva .. it must be the same guy, black mercedes, dutch number plates, strong accent, rehearsed speech about can't take them back due to customs (before CH and schengen) .. he sold knives and a set of pans .. i bargained so badly with him that i got the pans for 150.- for 6 pans + lids + a sieve for pasta and he threw in the knives .. i've looked around and i don't see me getting the same at that price .. and quite seriously they are good pans, never a problem and on top of it i can use them on my vitroceramic cooking table, which most pans don't offer and those that do are very expensive ..

sure, he's evading tax and not very legal, but i don't feel i was ripped off by him .. lol ..

i detained him quite badly with my banter about quality and and and, that he was in a rush to get away after that .. maybe why i got the knives for free .. bargain VERY hard if u do bump into him, i say .. but otherwise i'm actually very satisfied with the quality of the items ..

:)
.. hey, i got "caught" by this same guy back in 2004 at the WTC in geneva .. it must be the same guy, black mercedes, dutch number plates, strong accent, rehearsed speech about can't take them back due to customs (before CH and schengen) .. he sold knives and a set of pans .. i bargained so badly with him that i got the pans for 150.- for 6 pans + lids + a sieve for pasta and he threw in the knives .. i've looked around and i don't see me getting the same at that price .. and quite seriously they are good pans, never a problem and on top of it i can use them on my vitroceramic cooking table, which most pans don't offer and those that do are very expensive ..

sure, he's evading tax and not very legal, but i don't feel i was ripped off by him .. lol ..

i detained him quite badly with my banter about quality and and and, that he was in a rush to get away after that .. maybe why i got the knives for free .. bargain VERY hard if u do bump into him, i say .. but otherwise i'm actually very satisfied with the quality of the items ..

:)
atoll, Jun 16, 2009 @ 11:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
There are a few web sites about this "scam" (for example, http://robbevan.com/blog/2004/09/16/berghaus-knives-scam/ ) and some people also made the comment like 'Atoll' that they were happy with the product (especially for the price).  It makes me wonder if some of the items he sells are genuine?  In fact, my first thought was that they were stolen goods.

One writer who was scammed with dodgy products had the products tested and the knives were of a cheap steel and couldn't be sharpened and were dangerous due to breaking, and the pots had a nice heavy base, problem is it wasn't layers of metal but was a thin layer of concrete!

Funny thing with this guy is that he didn't speak French and seemed to be targetting English speakers.

There are a few web sites about this "scam" (for example, http://robbevan.com/blog/2004/09/16/berghaus-knives-scam/ ) and some people also made the comment like 'Atoll' that they were happy with the product (especially for the price).  It makes me wonder if some of the items he sells are genuine?  In fact, my first thought was that they were stolen goods.

One writer who was scammed with dodgy products had the products tested and the knives were of a cheap steel and couldn't be sharpened and were dangerous due to breaking, and the pots had a nice heavy base, problem is it wasn't layers of metal but was a thin layer of concrete!

Funny thing with this guy is that he didn't speak French and seemed to be targetting English speakers.
tnielsen, Jun 16, 2009 @ 11:46

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Theyre in geneva now... just been seen... careful people.

Theyre in geneva now... just been seen... careful people.

Charlie, May 21, 2013 @ 15:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks for the heads up. Next time a strange man approaches me on the street and asks me to go over to his car to check out his knife collection,  I'll be wary.

Thanks for the heads up. Next time a strange man approaches me on the street and asks me to go over to his car to check out his knife collection,  I'll be wary.

no.38, May 21, 2013 @ 15:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

May 21, 13 15:45

I know two people who are gonna enjoy lovely new knives tonight... so its not so uncommon that people buy... 

That apart I laughed alot today coz of it...

I know two people who are gonna enjoy lovely new knives tonight... so its not so uncommon that people buy... 

That apart I laughed alot today coz of it...

Charlie, May 21, 2013 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Well last time it was on Swiss news, this guy was selling his stuff in Canton Bern to an old Architect who later realised that he had been scammed.

Well last time it was on Swiss news, this guy was selling his stuff in Canton Bern to an old Architect who later realised that he had been scammed.

Dorothy W, May 22, 2013 @ 00:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Well really!  If you can't trust a Dutchman in a car park with a boot full of knives, what is the world coming to?

Well really!  If you can't trust a Dutchman in a car park with a boot full of knives, what is the world coming to?

Andy C, May 23, 2013 @ 03:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

My dad bought me that knife set a few years ago, but he only paid 40 Euros for it so he wasn't really 'scammed'.

Maybe that's why the Dutchman is now operating in Switzerland; in Holland they're not willing to pay much even if they know that the knifes are a decent brand.

My dad bought me that knife set a few years ago, but he only paid 40 Euros for it so he wasn't really 'scammed'.

Maybe that's why the Dutchman is now operating in Switzerland; in Holland they're not willing to pay much even if they know that the knifes are a decent brand.

Edward B, May 23, 2013 @ 09:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

seems like he´s cloning - this time on the costa del sol, spain

same well rehearsed sales pitch, dutch reg range rover (striking blue eyes!)

noticed he was not perspiring considering how much of a hurry he was in to collect his family from hotel and get to airport!

tnielsen´s comment:-

"One writer who was scammed with dodgy products had the products tested ... !"

anyone know how to get such items tested at all?

thanks

btw warranty does not specify the manufacturing company - just blank spaces in each language! could these be made in china?! judging by packaging it sure looks like it!

seems like he´s cloning - this time on the costa del sol, spain

same well rehearsed sales pitch, dutch reg range rover (striking blue eyes!)

noticed he was not perspiring considering how much of a hurry he was in to collect his family from hotel and get to airport!

tnielsen´s comment:-

"One writer who was scammed with dodgy products had the products tested ... !"

anyone know how to get such items tested at all?

thanks

btw warranty does not specify the manufacturing company - just blank spaces in each language! could these be made in china?! judging by packaging it sure looks like it!

col v, Jun 12, 2015 @ 14:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 45320 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form