Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > B permits, can i work?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
B permits, can i work?
Hi,

I have a B permit (autorisation de sejour B) can i work with that?

I am studying french at an institute (not uni).

thanks in advance

The text you are quoting:
Hi,

I have a B permit (autorisation de sejour B) can i work with that?

I am studying french at an institute (not uni).

thanks in advance
niennaJul 26, 2009 @ 13:44

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 3141 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: B permits, can i work?
Post 1
Yes, up to at least 15 or - as I guess - 20 h/week and fulltime during vacations.

Any other suggestions?
Yes, up to at least 15 or - as I guess - 20 h/week and fulltime during vacations.

Any other suggestions?
Joensy, Jul 26, 2009 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Yes you can, if you find someone to hire you...(-:
Yes you can, if you find someone to hire you...(-:
Nir Ofek, Jul 26, 2009 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
oh thats good to know, i thought it was only for university students (as in degrees, masters or PhDs)

oh thats good to know, i thought it was only for university students (as in degrees, masters or PhDs)

calford, Jul 27, 2009 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
I'm on a B permit as well, but I'm studying at the master's level. I'm working now but I have to say it wasn't a painless process... Once you've gone through it, we can look at each other, say the word "bureaucracy" and roll :rolleyes: our eyes together in sync...

- To correct one of the answers, it's a max of 15hrs/week during school. There's absolute rigidity about this. For example, I do night shifts at the psychiatric hospital. A shift is 11.5hrs in lenght, but they really like us to do 2 nights in a row, so my employer tried to negociate for me to do 2 nights every 2 weeks, amounting to the same number of hours than if it was once a week (and being even less than the 15hrs max). Nope. Didn't work. 15hrs/week max, that's it (with unlimited hours during vacations).

- You and your eventual employer will have to deal with these 2 entities: "Contrôle des habitants et police des étrangers" (this is a per-commune thing, for me, in Ecublens there's info here: http://www.ecublens.ch/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=232); and the "Service de l'emploi" (this is a cantonal entity, for Lausanne the # is: 021 316 6104). Little inconvenience, these 2 don't seem to talk well between each other...

- I'm canadian, but I was told by my employer that even europeans with B permits get the same treatment.

- Yes it's hard to find work as an "alien" (E.T, phone home!), and I was lucky. Happened mostly buy word of mouth. Looking at the adds, there's a lot of limitations. Age, sex, language. And beyond what's written, my personnal feeling is that they'd rather not have to deal with B permits...

- The ones to ask wether or not you can work here is the "Contrôle des habitants et police des étrangers" (where you had to show up within I think 8 days of your arrival, or something like that).

Good luck! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
I'm on a B permit as well, but I'm studying at the master's level. I'm working now but I have to say it wasn't a painless process... Once you've gone through it, we can look at each other, say the word "bureaucracy" and roll :rolleyes: our eyes together in sync...

- To correct one of the answers, it's a max of 15hrs/week during school. There's absolute rigidity about this. For example, I do night shifts at the psychiatric hospital. A shift is 11.5hrs in lenght, but they really like us to do 2 nights in a row, so my employer tried to negociate for me to do 2 nights every 2 weeks, amounting to the same number of hours than if it was once a week (and being even less than the 15hrs max). Nope. Didn't work. 15hrs/week max, that's it (with unlimited hours during vacations).

- You and your eventual employer will have to deal with these 2 entities: "Contrôle des habitants et police des étrangers" (this is a per-commune thing, for me, in Ecublens there's info here: http://www.ecublens.ch/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=232); and the "Service de l'emploi" (this is a cantonal entity, for Lausanne the # is: 021 316 6104). Little inconvenience, these 2 don't seem to talk well between each other...

- I'm canadian, but I was told by my employer that even europeans with B permits get the same treatment.

- Yes it's hard to find work as an "alien" (E.T, phone home!), and I was lucky. Happened mostly buy word of mouth. Looking at the adds, there's a lot of limitations. Age, sex, language. And beyond what's written, my personnal feeling is that they'd rather not have to deal with B permits...

- The ones to ask wether or not you can work here is the "Contrôle des habitants et police des étrangers" (where you had to show up within I think 8 days of your arrival, or something like that).

Good luck! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.
charlau, Aug 5, 2009 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Oh yes, "little" detail: if you're not european, you can't work for the first 6 months you're here (or the first semester, not sure but probably the longest of the 2...). In this case, europeans have an edge: they can work right away.

Good news: while you work, the "visitor" tax (30CHF or so /month) is waved. But well, you'll pay income tax... Also you'll have to get a new "B" card which will cost you I think 90CHF, and that will happen every time you change job (and no matter what, you still have to get it renewed once a year). And oh, you can't have 2 jobs at the same time.
Oh yes, "little" detail: if you're not european, you can't work for the first 6 months you're here (or the first semester, not sure but probably the longest of the 2...). In this case, europeans have an edge: they can work right away.

Good news: while you work, the "visitor" tax (30CHF or so /month) is waved. But well, you'll pay income tax... Also you'll have to get a new "B" card which will cost you I think 90CHF, and that will happen every time you change job (and no matter what, you still have to get it renewed once a year). And oh, you can't have 2 jobs at the same time.
charlau, Aug 5, 2009 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Well, i went to the immigration office (ofice de la population, or something like that) and they told me i cannot work here.

They asked me what school i was going to, had a look on the list and i cant.

I guess it is because it is a french school and not a university degree or masters
Well, i went to the immigration office (ofice de la population, or something like that) and they told me i cannot work here.

They asked me what school i was going to, had a look on the list and i cant.

I guess it is because it is a french school and not a university degree or masters

calford, Aug 5, 2009 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Sounds strange. Are you sure you have a B Permit, and not a Student Permit?
Sounds strange. Are you sure you have a B Permit, and not a Student Permit?
Nir Ofek, Aug 5, 2009 @ 17:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
yup, the permit says

Autorisation de sejour (B)

and it has another B at the back in a "holographic" way over the small pictire.

at the bottom it says Sejour pour formation. But it does not say "Avec activite"
yup, the permit says

Autorisation de sejour (B)

and it has another B at the back in a "holographic" way over the small pictire.

at the bottom it says Sejour pour formation. But it does not say "Avec activite"

calford, Aug 5, 2009 @ 20:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
My card has the exact same specs, with the addition of "TEMPORAIRE ETUDES / Act. acc. 15h par sem. max." below the permit number in the back ("Act. acc." stands for "activité accessoire").
My card has the exact same specs, with the addition of "TEMPORAIRE ETUDES / Act. acc. 15h par sem. max." below the permit number in the back ("Act. acc." stands for "activité accessoire").
charlau, Aug 6, 2009 @ 01:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hey, mine is also , I'm a non-EU citizen,  B permit , 

Observation is : formation avec activities:, 

Categorie de titre is : Autorisation de sejour (B)

Behind, on the Observation is : SYMIC number..

My question is: Is this working permit? I just quitted my previosu job and can I find another job in Switzerland with this permit? 

My question is: Is this working permit? I just quitted my previosu job and can I find another job in Switzerland with this permit? 

real body, Feb 7, 2017 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi!

"avec activities" means that you can work here, but there are 2 types of permit B: transferable (you can change your job freely) and non-transferable (attached to your employer). You can call to "Office de population" and check which type you have.

Hi!

"avec activities" means that you can work here, but there are 2 types of permit B: transferable (you can change your job freely) and non-transferable (attached to your employer). You can call to "Office de population" and check which type you have.

Yury D, Feb 7, 2017 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

As student you have right to work, it should be 15 hours par week and you can ask queston to universty assoication, they can asnwer you better!

As student you have right to work, it should be 15 hours par week and you can ask queston to universty assoication, they can asnwer you better!

arjin, Feb 7, 2017 @ 22:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Strange, top managers get L permit, and students get B permit. 

Strange, top managers get L permit, and students get B permit. 

Kirill_GE, Feb 7, 2017 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Feb 7, 17 12:48

3rd country nationals permits are linked to the employer. You are not allowed to change jobs and normally when your employement is over, you are supposed to leave Switzerland and if my understanding is correct, you dont have even a 3 months waiting period.

In case you want to stay, I think you need a Schengen visa to continue but this is something you need to check out.

Regarding applications for a new job, of course you can try to find a new job but your new employer has to sponsor your new permit and the condition is the usual, no Swiss or EU national is available with the same qualification / experience.

Anyhow, you can find a lot of information on-line if you google it.

3rd country nationals permits are linked to the employer. You are not allowed to change jobs and normally when your employement is over, you are supposed to leave Switzerland and if my understanding is correct, you dont have even a 3 months waiting period.

In case you want to stay, I think you need a Schengen visa to continue but this is something you need to check out.

Regarding applications for a new job, of course you can try to find a new job but your new employer has to sponsor your new permit and the condition is the usual, no Swiss or EU national is available with the same qualification / experience.

Anyhow, you can find a lot of information on-line if you google it.

Reka Y, Feb 8, 2017 @ 00:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

From my experience B permits are not all made equal. A student B permit and a Refugee B permit and a spouse B permit and a work B permit are not all the same. Then depending on which language school you are going to, some you are also not allowed to work. When you go to one of those that you can work it is written formations and ACC (or something like that). Mostly the big language schools, universities. But there is a list at the OCP of the schools that qualify for the 15 hour work thing.

From my experience B permits are not all made equal. A student B permit and a Refugee B permit and a spouse B permit and a work B permit are not all the same. Then depending on which language school you are going to, some you are also not allowed to work. When you go to one of those that you can work it is written formations and ACC (or something like that). Mostly the big language schools, universities. But there is a list at the OCP of the schools that qualify for the 15 hour work thing.

Marcy S, Feb 8, 2017 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Permis B bearing the "formation avec activities" mention allows max. 15h work/week;
Permis B bearing the "regroupement familial" mention generally allows employment;
Permis B obtained in connection with a certain employer requires another application in order to change employer (conditions vary depending on the nationality of the applicant).

Permis B bearing the "formation avec activities" mention allows max. 15h work/week;
Permis B bearing the "regroupement familial" mention generally allows employment;
Permis B obtained in connection with a certain employer requires another application in order to change employer (conditions vary depending on the nationality of the applicant).

Mario B, Feb 13, 2017 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 3141 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form