Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > BBQs on balconies in apartment blocks - are they allowed?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
BBQs on balconies in apartment blocks - are they allowed?

Hi,

does anyone know what are the rules concerning barbeques on shared balconies in apartment blocks? Are they permitted? 

I have the situation where the people in the next apartment regualarly cook bbq food on the balcony. This means that strong cooking smells swamp my balcony (and apartment if I don't close all doors & windows). This has happened both days this weekend.

I'm just wondering what is reasonable to ask the Regie to do.

Thanks

Kathy

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

does anyone know what are the rules concerning barbeques on shared balconies in apartment blocks? Are they permitted? 

I have the situation where the people in the next apartment regualarly cook bbq food on the balcony. This means that strong cooking smells swamp my balcony (and apartment if I don't close all doors & windows). This has happened both days this weekend.

I'm just wondering what is reasonable to ask the Regie to do.

Thanks

Kathy

kathylApr 30, 2017 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 2269 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: BBQs on balconies in apartment blocks - are they allowed?
Post 1

It is not allowed

It is not allowed

bellah, Apr 30, 2017 @ 22:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

What is universally allowed is to approach them politely and in a friendly tone explain the inconvenience for you, and ask them if they could please observe the rules about balcony BBQs (which they may be unaware of). You can add that it is unfortunate that the conditions are such that we all have to live with some restrictions and that you hope they will understand. If they are hostile, go to the Regie. If they respond amiably, you may end up with new friends.

What is universally allowed is to approach them politely and in a friendly tone explain the inconvenience for you, and ask them if they could please observe the rules about balcony BBQs (which they may be unaware of). You can add that it is unfortunate that the conditions are such that we all have to live with some restrictions and that you hope they will understand. If they are hostile, go to the Regie. If they respond amiably, you may end up with new friends.

JR M, May 1, 2017 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It is not allowed

Apr 30, 17 22:12

It's not a straight forward yes, or no.

It depends on the regie/gerance and whether or not it is in the "Rules of the Building".  

It's not in our "Regulations" but when someone (Swiss German, surprise!) complained to the gerance about his neighbour having a BBQ on the balcony, they (the gerance) responded to the guilty party with the following response:

1.  Always ensure you invite the neighbour and/or

2.  Ensure that you only have a BBQ when the wind is blowing from the West, i.e. not in the direction of the Swiss German neighbour's balcony.

And that, my friends is 100% true!

It's not a straight forward yes, or no.

It depends on the regie/gerance and whether or not it is in the "Rules of the Building".  

It's not in our "Regulations" but when someone (Swiss German, surprise!) complained to the gerance about his neighbour having a BBQ on the balcony, they (the gerance) responded to the guilty party with the following response:

1.  Always ensure you invite the neighbour and/or

2.  Ensure that you only have a BBQ when the wind is blowing from the West, i.e. not in the direction of the Swiss German neighbour's balcony.

And that, my friends is 100% true!

Carolyn C, May 1, 2017 @ 16:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Ahhhh jis throw another shrimp on their barbie

Ahhhh jis throw another shrimp on their barbie

sheila c, May 1, 2017 @ 16:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

If it's not with gas/charcoal you can.

We had an electric one (with a lower tray we had to fill with water to collect the drippings) so there was no smoke and no inconvenient odours for the neighbours.

Enjoy!

If it's not with gas/charcoal you can.

We had an electric one (with a lower tray we had to fill with water to collect the drippings) so there was no smoke and no inconvenient odours for the neighbours.

Enjoy!

hay_, May 1, 2017 @ 18:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks everyone!

Thanks everyone!

kathyl, May 1, 2017 @ 21:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 2269 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form