Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Banking/Expensive transfer fees.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Banking/Expensive transfer fees.

I`ve been tranferring my salary from my job in Rolle to my Nat West account in the UK. This was only a temporary measure to" top up" my UK account to meet regular bills. I will need to transfer money now and again however. The last transfer fee for my monthly salary I worked out to be a staggering £67!!! Can anyone recommend a bank either in Switzerland or in the UK that won`t be quite so expensive/cruel!? Thanks.  

The text you are quoting:

I`ve been tranferring my salary from my job in Rolle to my Nat West account in the UK. This was only a temporary measure to" top up" my UK account to meet regular bills. I will need to transfer money now and again however. The last transfer fee for my monthly salary I worked out to be a staggering £67!!! Can anyone recommend a bank either in Switzerland or in the UK that won`t be quite so expensive/cruel!? Thanks.  

Elinor HMar 11, 2013 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

24 Replies | 3213 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Banking/Expensive transfer fees.
Post 1

Hi,

I don't know about transfers to Canada / US but for the UK it should be much better. UBS charges me 10 chf which covers the charges at both ends i.e. my UK bank (Smile) doesn't deduct anything. Of course then there is the 'hidden' fee of the exchange rate, but the rate at UBS is usually OK.

I don't have any special agreement at UBS, as far as I know this is their standard rate. You have to do the transfer online and two days in advance - if you want it same day it's more expensive.

I think there should be ways of doing it cheaper, but since I only use it occasionally I haven't really researched it.

Hi,

I don't know about transfers to Canada / US but for the UK it should be much better. UBS charges me 10 chf which covers the charges at both ends i.e. my UK bank (Smile) doesn't deduct anything. Of course then there is the 'hidden' fee of the exchange rate, but the rate at UBS is usually OK.

I don't have any special agreement at UBS, as far as I know this is their standard rate. You have to do the transfer online and two days in advance - if you want it same day it's more expensive.

I think there should be ways of doing it cheaper, but since I only use it occasionally I haven't really researched it.

adam_jeff, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Mar 11, 13 12:00

Ha...I need to transfer money to the UK too...not done it yet as no one has been clear on exactly what it will cost me - I've asked both my banks in Switzerland and in the UK...£67...WOW...that's just silly...hopefully some people on this site will have a cheaper solution...eagerly await to see what others say...

Ha...I need to transfer money to the UK too...not done it yet as no one has been clear on exactly what it will cost me - I've asked both my banks in Switzerland and in the UK...£67...WOW...that's just silly...hopefully some people on this site will have a cheaper solution...eagerly await to see what others say...

Amit P, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Elinor and Amit I have sent you both a PM.

nickg_44, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

The bank charges can be minimised if you sent the money in the currency of your "home" bank. If you are sending money to Canada send Canadian dollars rather than Swiss francs. Sending euros to Credit Agricole costs me nothing. And check what exchange rate you get from your bank. UBS seems OK for euros. You can always try to use a dedicated currency exchange broker.

The bank charges can be minimised if you sent the money in the currency of your "home" bank. If you are sending money to Canada send Canadian dollars rather than Swiss francs. Sending euros to Credit Agricole costs me nothing. And check what exchange rate you get from your bank. UBS seems OK for euros. You can always try to use a dedicated currency exchange broker.

Antonis P, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Adam, if you require help please send me a PM.

Adam, if you require help please send me a PM.

nickg_44, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 11, 13 14:17

Hello Nick....thanks for your mail...I'll contact you when I decide/need to transfer money...won't be for a while...but I surely will contact you if needed...

Hello Nick....thanks for your mail...I'll contact you when I decide/need to transfer money...won't be for a while...but I surely will contact you if needed...

Amit P, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks Amit, you know where to find me if you need any help.

Thanks Amit, you know where to find me if you need any help.

nickg_44, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You can save all the fees if you save up the money until you have accumulated a substantial amount, then put it in a briefcase in small unmarked bills and I will be happy to fly over to the UK and personally deposit it in your Nat West account. Money mouth

You can save all the fees if you save up the money until you have accumulated a substantial amount, then put it in a briefcase in small unmarked bills and I will be happy to fly over to the UK and personally deposit it in your Nat West account. Money mouth

JR M, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Unless Nickg already beat me to it  Wink

Unless Nickg already beat me to it  Wink

JR M, Mar 11, 2013 @ 14:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Of sorts... My methods are slightly more traceable though... :-)

nickg_44, Mar 11, 2013 @ 15:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Mar 11, 13 15:05

....but probably less profitable Cool

....but probably less profitable Cool

JR M, Mar 11, 2013 @ 16:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Touché

Touché

nickg_44, Mar 11, 2013 @ 16:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Are you transfering GBP £ , if so £67- is very high cost.

But if your sending CHF or US$ to your GBP account, i dont think this is Bank charges but this is Forex and commissions. All bank charges need to be clearly indicated as Bank charges, other differnces is forex and then its not bank charges at all, but forex/speculation. and at small amounts, you will have very poor rates.

Are you transfering GBP £ , if so £67- is very high cost.

But if your sending CHF or US$ to your GBP account, i dont think this is Bank charges but this is Forex and commissions. All bank charges need to be clearly indicated as Bank charges, other differnces is forex and then its not bank charges at all, but forex/speculation. and at small amounts, you will have very poor rates.

Dave G, Mar 11, 2013 @ 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I just opened an account with BCGE and I'm sure the guy said that fee was really small, like 5chf .. Havn't tried yet right enough

I just opened an account with BCGE and I'm sure the guy said that fee was really small, like 5chf .. Havn't tried yet right enough

John H, Mar 12, 2013 @ 12:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

It is 5 CHF at UBS but if you let them do the exchange rate as well, you will pay a lot more than 5CHF per transfer.

It is 5 CHF at UBS but if you let them do the exchange rate as well, you will pay a lot more than 5CHF per transfer.

nickg_44, Mar 12, 2013 @ 13:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Thank you everyone for all the comments so far. Sounds as though JR M`s offer to personally deposit a very large substantial amount into my Natwest account  may be my best option. I`ll be in touch!

nickg-44. At the risk of sounding completely stupid what`s a PM? Well whatever it is, I look forward to receiving it!

Thank you everyone for all the comments so far. Sounds as though JR M`s offer to personally deposit a very large substantial amount into my Natwest account  may be my best option. I`ll be in touch!

nickg-44. At the risk of sounding completely stupid what`s a PM? Well whatever it is, I look forward to receiving it!

Elinor H, Mar 12, 2013 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Hi elinor,

PM = private message (see your inbox)

Hi elinor,

PM = private message (see your inbox)

nickg_44, Mar 12, 2013 @ 18:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Probably the cheapest soliution is to open an account at Postfinance:

https://www.postfinance.ch/en/priv/prod/pay/abroad/giro/offer.html

It costs you 2 chf on Internet, or for free if your home account is SEPA compliant, whatever that means.

Probably the cheapest soliution is to open an account at Postfinance:

https://www.postfinance.ch/en/priv/prod/pay/abroad/giro/offer.html

It costs you 2 chf on Internet, or for free if your home account is SEPA compliant, whatever that means.

STEFAN SCHUEPFER, Mar 12, 2013 @ 22:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

www.transferwise.com

www.transferwise.com

Airi L, Mar 13, 2013 @ 08:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Personnally I use often Transferwise as well and I am very happy with the service and its cost. There's a small fee but the exchange rate is real unlike the banks where it's majored.

https://transferwise.com/u/598f7 make your own simulation

If anyone finds a better one please share

Personnally I use often Transferwise as well and I am very happy with the service and its cost. There's a small fee but the exchange rate is real unlike the banks where it's majored.

Luis M, Dec 16, 2017 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Dec 16, 17 10:25

Hello,

Here is my comparative experience of Transferwise vs. Currencyfair: http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Money-transfer-to-Canada-238957.htm

Hello,

Here is my comparative experience of Transferwise vs. Currencyfair: http://www.glocals.com/forums/general/Money-transfer-to-Canada-238957.htm

David L, Dec 17, 2017 @ 11:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

I have use different private money transfer service and also bank services to send money home from Australia to India. but recentaly came to know about https://www.instarem.com/. They charge low fees rate, easy to transfer and hassle-free service.

I have use different private money transfer service and also bank services to send money home from Australia to India. but recentaly came to know about https://www.instarem.com/. They charge low fees rate, easy to transfer and hassle-free service.

Jay Sharma, Jan 15, 2018 @ 09:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Its Instarem

Its Instarem

Jay Sharma, Jan 15, 2018 @ 09:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Within the Euro region my bank (Raiffeisen) allows me to make a SEPA transfer for 1CHF, I imagine that most other Swiss banks do the same.

Outside of the SEPA area (incl. UK?), options such as those described above may become more interesting.

Within the Euro region my bank (Raiffeisen) allows me to make a SEPA transfer for 1CHF, I imagine that most other Swiss banks do the same.

Outside of the SEPA area (incl. UK?), options such as those described above may become more interesting.

nmcp, Jan 16, 2018 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
24 Replies | 3213 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form