Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Change job sector

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Change job sector

Hi everybody,

i know that maybe i could seem indelicate, because there are many people who are looking for a job, but i would like to change job sector, and i don't know what else i can do.

I am sales assistant; is the first job i found in Geneva, but this job is making me really sick...for many reasons that is very long to explain. Is nearly almost three years that i do this, and i would like to change sector, but i see is really hard. Somebody told me once you start to work in Geneva, it's quite impossible to do a completely different job. I don't want to think i have to do this for the rest of my life, otherwise i became crazy...i don't want to give up. I don't want to see all the studies i did on the garbage...I feel even worse when people tell me "How is possible that with all the languages you speak, and with the mandarin chinese, you don't find anything?"

Yes. it's not a question of being ambitious. It's just a question of work with dignity and in normal conditions. Is there someone else who is in my same conditions? 

Thanks a lot and sorry...

The text you are quoting:

Hi everybody,

i know that maybe i could seem indelicate, because there are many people who are looking for a job, but i would like to change job sector, and i don't know what else i can do.

I am sales assistant; is the first job i found in Geneva, but this job is making me really sick...for many reasons that is very long to explain. Is nearly almost three years that i do this, and i would like to change sector, but i see is really hard. Somebody told me once you start to work in Geneva, it's quite impossible to do a completely different job. I don't want to think i have to do this for the rest of my life, otherwise i became crazy...i don't want to give up. I don't want to see all the studies i did on the garbage...I feel even worse when people tell me "How is possible that with all the languages you speak, and with the mandarin chinese, you don't find anything?"

Yes. it's not a question of being ambitious. It's just a question of work with dignity and in normal conditions. Is there someone else who is in my same conditions? 

Thanks a lot and sorry...

Maura SJul 28, 2015 @ 20:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 1027 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Change job sector
Post 1

Hi,

You can invest time to make the change you want...ask someone to review your CV and your competence. Think seriously to what you want to do and approach companies that are in that sector...I am sure it will work out. Wishing you the best of luck, E.

Hi,

You can invest time to make the change you want...ask someone to review your CV and your competence. Think seriously to what you want to do and approach companies that are in that sector...I am sure it will work out. Wishing you the best of luck, E.

E. K, Jul 29, 2015 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Change job sector
Post 2

Without having the benefit of further details it’s very difficult to give you guidance on such a question.  As you have already experienced, with someone saying “it’s quite impossible to do something else”, flippant comments, or projections from others are likely to be more counter-productive than anything else.  In light of that, I doubt you will find a satisfying response here, if those who respond do so measuredly.   Suffice to say that your CV is indeed a starting point, but that can be oriented in a number of different ways to reflect the direction you wish to go in.  For that one has to be open minded and creative, knowing what to emphasise and de-emphasise, as a CV is merely a snap shot in time and by in large static.  It does not really articulate who you are and how you posture yourself as an individual and what I have observed is that personal impact is key in going where you wish to go.  That assumes of course you know where you wish to go and I would suspect that you may have a few question marks there.  Without clarity you’re in a catch 22 of sorts.  Beware all the same of traditional job agencies that will tell you what suits them to have you move along - they want easy well groomed candidates they can broker.  You don't sound like you fit that description.  

To reassure you I recall one girl who worked at the pickwicks pub and workers from a high-end tech company used to regular lunch there.  I knew her and indeed she had a distinct manner was very outgoing, and good with people.  Someone from the tech-co spotted that and the long/short is that she got offered a very nice job, with full training and everything as she knew nothing about IT.  Someone took a bet on her as they saw her potential and that was that.  So if you’re looking to approach things from a technical CV and strictly by the rules, then you’re going to come up against all the others who are good at playing that game but may lack that personal edge.  If however, you have a sense of who you are and your gravitas as a person then the CV merely is a support to that. 

At the end of the day, any employer wants to know the value of what you bring to the table, the “what’s in it for them” question.  This in many respects is a marketing exercise and therefore the strategy for self-promotion is similar.  So matching what you’re offering with demand is the nuts and bold, to put it crudely.   That said belief is another component and many people lack that if they have not got the professional track record/CV that says they can or have done this or that.   Clarity is another and knowing how to pitch yourself is the last.  That takes some skill and practice and being confident interviews is not given to everyone, but can certainly be learnt.   Rest assured I have seen and know many peole in Geneva and beyond who've transitioned into new professional spaces, a number I have had as clients.  

So lots of moving parts that need to fall into place in the right way for you to exude a degree of extraordinary appeal (will also help the synchronicities).   If you’d like to explore this a bit more with me, you can drop me a note as my work is coaching people www.integralshiftcoaching.com in this particular area.   

I wish you every success.  Just do it! M

Without having the benefit of further details it’s very difficult to give you guidance on such a question.  As you have already experienced, with someone saying “it’s quite impossible to do something else”, flippant comments, or projections from others are likely to be more counter-productive than anything else.  In light of that, I doubt you will find a satisfying response here, if those who respond do so measuredly.   Suffice to say that your CV is indeed a starting point, but that can be oriented in a number of different ways to reflect the direction you wish to go in.  For that one has to be open minded and creative, knowing what to emphasise and de-emphasise, as a CV is merely a snap shot in time and by in large static.  It does not really articulate who you are and how you posture yourself as an individual and what I have observed is that personal impact is key in going where you wish to go.  That assumes of course you know where you wish to go and I would suspect that you may have a few question marks there.  Without clarity you’re in a catch 22 of sorts.  Beware all the same of traditional job agencies that will tell you what suits them to have you move along - they want easy well groomed candidates they can broker.  You don't sound like you fit that description.  

To reassure you I recall one girl who worked at the pickwicks pub and workers from a high-end tech company used to regular lunch there.  I knew her and indeed she had a distinct manner was very outgoing, and good with people.  Someone from the tech-co spotted that and the long/short is that she got offered a very nice job, with full training and everything as she knew nothing about IT.  Someone took a bet on her as they saw her potential and that was that.  So if you’re looking to approach things from a technical CV and strictly by the rules, then you’re going to come up against all the others who are good at playing that game but may lack that personal edge.  If however, you have a sense of who you are and your gravitas as a person then the CV merely is a support to that. 

At the end of the day, any employer wants to know the value of what you bring to the table, the “what’s in it for them” question.  This in many respects is a marketing exercise and therefore the strategy for self-promotion is similar.  So matching what you’re offering with demand is the nuts and bold, to put it crudely.   That said belief is another component and many people lack that if they have not got the professional track record/CV that says they can or have done this or that.   Clarity is another and knowing how to pitch yourself is the last.  That takes some skill and practice and being confident interviews is not given to everyone, but can certainly be learnt.   Rest assured I have seen and know many peole in Geneva and beyond who've transitioned into new professional spaces, a number I have had as clients.  

So lots of moving parts that need to fall into place in the right way for you to exude a degree of extraordinary appeal (will also help the synchronicities).   If you’d like to explore this a bit more with me, you can drop me a note as my work is coaching people www.integralshiftcoaching.com in this particular area.   

I wish you every success.  Just do it! M

Maurice H, Jul 29, 2015 @ 17:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 1027 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form