Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Completely transparent currency transfers

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Completely transparent currency transfers

New disruptive technologies seem to be all the rage these days (just don't get me started on Uber.. ) and as the question of currency exchanges seems to come up often on Glocals, I thought I would share this.

While currency transfer services claim and may often be cheaper than the banks, the fact is that the mid market spot rate is constantly changing, so both are completely free to play fast and loose with what they charge. Retails clients will never get transparency.

This service got aired onn CNBC the other day. https://transferwise.com  

It is an application of the current peer to peer trend, matching transfers in opposite directions at a true mid market rate, with them only taking 0.5%.

This is just a heads up. Anyone thinking of using it needs to satisfy themselves that it works for them.

Cheers

Phil

The text you are quoting:

New disruptive technologies seem to be all the rage these days (just don't get me started on Uber.. ) and as the question of currency exchanges seems to come up often on Glocals, I thought I would share this.

While currency transfer services claim and may often be cheaper than the banks, the fact is that the mid market spot rate is constantly changing, so both are completely free to play fast and loose with what they charge. Retails clients will never get transparency.

This service got aired onn CNBC the other day. https://transferwise.com  

It is an application of the current peer to peer trend, matching transfers in opposite directions at a true mid market rate, with them only taking 0.5%.

This is just a heads up. Anyone thinking of using it needs to satisfy themselves that it works for them.

Cheers

Phil

wilycoyoteJul 28, 2015 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 2178 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Completely transparent currency transfers
Post 1

Uh, it's been around for years...

Personally I am still on currencyfair.com, you can't use transferwise to make payments (because you can't transfer a fixed amount in the TARGET currency) which sort of makes it useless for me (my rent is in euros).

Uh, it's been around for years...

Personally I am still on currencyfair.com, you can't use transferwise to make payments (because you can't transfer a fixed amount in the TARGET currency) which sort of makes it useless for me (my rent is in euros).

Paul D, Jul 28, 2015 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I also use currencyfair.com and have to say i am more than satisfied in the savings and the fact that the banks do not arbitralily nick $22 off me for a pure electronic transaction.

I also use currencyfair.com and have to say i am more than satisfied in the savings and the fact that the banks do not arbitralily nick $22 off me for a pure electronic transaction.

Jeffery S, Jul 28, 2015 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I must be missing something. UBS charges 0.50CHF for a SEPA transfer to Euroland. Why bother to go looking for something cheaper? (The exchange rates seem OK.)

Alternatively, to pay my rent, I just transfer regularly from UBS to a CHF account of my French bank. Makes life even easier.

So I'm still looking for a reason to try alll these alternative currency exchange sites. Please enlighten me.

I must be missing something. UBS charges 0.50CHF for a SEPA transfer to Euroland. Why bother to go looking for something cheaper? (The exchange rates seem OK.)

Alternatively, to pay my rent, I just transfer regularly from UBS to a CHF account of my French bank. Makes life even easier.

So I'm still looking for a reason to try alll these alternative currency exchange sites. Please enlighten me.

tawb, Jul 28, 2015 @ 23:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Naturally, that way you have to take whatever the UBS exchange rate is on the 28th of the month (or whatever date it is when you pay rent).

On currencyfair I can exchange a bunch of francs when the rate is more favorable and use part of it to pay rent whenever the month rolls over (afaik currencyfair can do this because they have a banking license, like paypal in luxemburg, which transferwise does not).

Naturally, that way you have to take whatever the UBS exchange rate is on the 28th of the month (or whatever date it is when you pay rent).

On currencyfair I can exchange a bunch of francs when the rate is more favorable and use part of it to pay rent whenever the month rolls over (afaik currencyfair can do this because they have a banking license, like paypal in luxemburg, which transferwise does not).

Paul D, Jul 29, 2015 @ 11:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Have been using Transferwise to send CHF back to UK as GBP for last 3 months and am very happy with the cost and speed of the service

Have been using Transferwise to send CHF back to UK as GBP for last 3 months and am very happy with the cost and speed of the service

Marcus F, Jul 29, 2015 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi!

I've been trying to send some CHF to the UK, but my ebank doesn't allow me to send it since I'm not including the receipients address...  But the bank details only mention name and IBAN any idea or suggestion?

Thanks!

Hi!

I've been trying to send some CHF to the UK, but my ebank doesn't allow me to send it since I'm not including the receipients address...  But the bank details only mention name and IBAN any idea or suggestion?

Thanks!

Linda R, Sep 12, 2015 @ 22:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Linda, in similar situations, I've looked up the recipient address on the Internet.

Or use the address of the destination bank. (As idebtified by the  BIC)

The address shouldn't benecessary, the BIC and the IBAN are enough to locate the destination account. (And in the future, they're going to remove the requirement for BIC.)

Linda, in similar situations, I've looked up the recipient address on the Internet.

Or use the address of the destination bank. (As idebtified by the  BIC)

The address shouldn't benecessary, the BIC and the IBAN are enough to locate the destination account. (And in the future, they're going to remove the requirement for BIC.)

tawb, Sep 13, 2015 @ 11:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi tawb,

Thanks for your answer, you are right a detailed address is not necessary. I managed to overcome the requirement by just including the receipient name and by adding "Switzerland" as address  and it automatically recognized it. 

Hi tawb,

Thanks for your answer, you are right a detailed address is not necessary. I managed to overcome the requirement by just including the receipient name and by adding "Switzerland" as address  and it automatically recognized it. 

Linda R, Sep 13, 2015 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jul 28, 15 23:01

The 0.50 cents is indeed a very cheap amount, but probably the exchange rate yield in the bank's favor i.e. is not the market rate so there are hidden fees. 

Just like when you arrive in a new country and have to change currencies and you go to a exchange office where they say there are no fees...

The 0.50 cents is indeed a very cheap amount, but probably the exchange rate yield in the bank's favor i.e. is not the market rate so there are hidden fees. 

Just like when you arrive in a new country and have to change currencies and you go to a exchange office where they say there are no fees...

Luis M, Dec 18, 2017 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

My experience is the same as tawb's and the spread between buy and sell for Euros is quite narrow so there's no hidden cost there.

I think that these sites may be interesting  if you're dealing with currencies other than Euro, but for Euros SEPA transfers from a bank are cheap and efficient.

My experience is the same as tawb's and the spread between buy and sell for Euros is quite narrow so there's no hidden cost there.

I think that these sites may be interesting  if you're dealing with currencies other than Euro, but for Euros SEPA transfers from a bank are cheap and efficient.

nmcp, Dec 21, 2017 @ 22:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 2178 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form