Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Dealing with SAM (Health insurance agency) - any advice?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Dealing with SAM (Health insurance agency) - any advice?

Hello,

I have health insurance through one company. Recently out of the blue I started getting bills from another company, Groupe Mutuel. It turned out they have been directed by the Societé Assurance Maladie (SAM), a Geneva canton agency, to start a contract with me.

I tried to contact SAM but they are essentially unreachable - you can't get into their office (requests for appointments have to be dropped in their mailbox), and no one answers the phone or email. 

Groupe Mutuel is getting more aggressive in their demands for payment for this unwanted double health insurance. Any advice? Is there any other agency that deals with this kind of thing? Offline replies or online appreciated. 

The text you are quoting:

Hello,

I have health insurance through one company. Recently out of the blue I started getting bills from another company, Groupe Mutuel. It turned out they have been directed by the Societé Assurance Maladie (SAM), a Geneva canton agency, to start a contract with me.

I tried to contact SAM but they are essentially unreachable - you can't get into their office (requests for appointments have to be dropped in their mailbox), and no one answers the phone or email. 

Groupe Mutuel is getting more aggressive in their demands for payment for this unwanted double health insurance. Any advice? Is there any other agency that deals with this kind of thing? Offline replies or online appreciated. 

Meg DOct 2, 2017 @ 17:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1963 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Dealing with SAM (Health insurance agency) - any advice?
Post 1

Hello,

Oct 2, 17 17:07

Hello,

I am a financial advisor and I think I might be able to help you.

How long have you been living here?

Sandra

Hello,

I am a financial advisor and I think I might be able to help you.

How long have you been living here?

Sandra

Sandra Chocarro, Oct 3, 2017 @ 09:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Swiss health insurance is obligatory in Switzerland and must be contracted through an approved official health insurance provider that provides insurance under the LAMal laws.

If your existing company is not an approved provider (e.g. not a Swiss company) and you have not chosen an approved provider, then the authorities (SAM in this case) are obliged to sign you up with an approved provider.  From what you describe, this is probably what has happened.

If your existing provider is an officially approved provider in Switzerland (LAMal), it is probably an error and you should contact SAM and your insurance company to explain and correct this.

Hope this helps.

Niall.

Swiss health insurance is obligatory in Switzerland and must be contracted through an approved official health insurance provider that provides insurance under the LAMal laws.

If your existing company is not an approved provider (e.g. not a Swiss company) and you have not chosen an approved provider, then the authorities (SAM in this case) are obliged to sign you up with an approved provider.  From what you describe, this is probably what has happened.

If your existing provider is an officially approved provider in Switzerland (LAMal), it is probably an error and you should contact SAM and your insurance company to explain and correct this.

Hope this helps.

Niall.

nmcp, Oct 4, 2017 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Yep thats exactly what happens if you have not subscribed to a recognised Swiss health insurer... (also if you are new here and haven't sorted it out within the 3 month period). If thats not the case, then you should email or write to them asap if you can't get a hold of them by telephone to get it fixed.

If you let me know the name of your other provider I can tell you immediately if its recognised or not.

Hope that helps.

Yep thats exactly what happens if you have not subscribed to a recognised Swiss health insurer... (also if you are new here and haven't sorted it out within the 3 month period). If thats not the case, then you should email or write to them asap if you can't get a hold of them by telephone to get it fixed.

If you let me know the name of your other provider I can tell you immediately if its recognised or not.

Hope that helps.

George Buchan, Oct 4, 2017 @ 17:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hope that helps.

Oct 4, 17 17:33

Thanks George and all. My provider is Assura, which was on the official Swiss list of providers. SAM is impossible to reach by phone or in person - they seem to be either very understaffed or deep in hiding, or both. Yesterday I sent around a certified letter to SAM and both health insurance companies and copied the letter to half of the cantonal authorities. Let's see if that helps ;) Honestly it seems a little crazy that I can be committed to a contract without my knowledge or consent, and without incidentally ever having received a health insurance card or policy information.

Thanks George and all. My provider is Assura, which was on the official Swiss list of providers. SAM is impossible to reach by phone or in person - they seem to be either very understaffed or deep in hiding, or both. Yesterday I sent around a certified letter to SAM and both health insurance companies and copied the letter to half of the cantonal authorities. Let's see if that helps ;) Honestly it seems a little crazy that I can be committed to a contract without my knowledge or consent, and without incidentally ever having received a health insurance card or policy information.

Meg D, Oct 4, 2017 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Ah ok so that's obviously some kind of mistake indeed... sounds like SAM maybe either didn't get the info from Assura, or a misplaced file or something at SAM, and they kicked off their process with you. I work in insurance, and normally they are quite responsive by email... telephone you need to wait a while.

Ah ok so that's obviously some kind of mistake indeed... sounds like SAM maybe either didn't get the info from Assura, or a misplaced file or something at SAM, and they kicked off their process with you. I work in insurance, and normally they are quite responsive by email... telephone you need to wait a while.

George Buchan, Oct 4, 2017 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Just to update, after numerous registered letters and emails to SAM and Groupe Mutuel, SAM did eventually sort it out. But it took weeks and lots of patience. It's a ridiculous system and I hope someone reforms it one day. Meanwhile, happy to discuss offline if anyone else is in the same boat.

Just to update, after numerous registered letters and emails to SAM and Groupe Mutuel, SAM did eventually sort it out. But it took weeks and lots of patience. It's a ridiculous system and I hope someone reforms it one day. Meanwhile, happy to discuss offline if anyone else is in the same boat.

Meg D, Oct 27, 2017 @ 16:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Meg.

That's not a big problem. Don't pay any bills for Group mutual because u already have insured with assurance. U can write a letter RECOMMENDE to group mutual to STOP sending u bills along with proof that u r insured with auura. 

Contact Mr Charles Reymond friend of mine who is insurance agent of Assurgroup Sarl..place Simon-Goulart 4, 1201 Genève . He will help you free to write this letter. Best of luck.

Sam

Hi Meg.

That's not a big problem. Don't pay any bills for Group mutual because u already have insured with assurance. U can write a letter RECOMMENDE to group mutual to STOP sending u bills along with proof that u r insured with auura. 

Contact Mr Charles Reymond friend of mine who is insurance agent of Assurgroup Sarl..place Simon-Goulart 4, 1201 Genève . He will help you free to write this letter. Best of luck.

Sam

Sam D, Oct 28, 2017 @ 11:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1963 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form