Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Health insurance for short stay in Switzerland?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Health insurance for short stay in Switzerland?

Can anyone give me advice about getting health insurance for a short stay (up to six months) in Switzerland?

This is to satisfy the canton's request to send them evidence I am insured with an approved provider. They also want me to backdate my insurance to the date I arrived.

Until now, I have had insurance with World Nomads, which is much cheaper than the Swiss insurers. 

I guess I will need to switch to a Swiss insurer. Does anyone know if they insure you for a short time? I have been reading threads here about people being locked into five-year contracts (eek!).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

The text you are quoting:

Can anyone give me advice about getting health insurance for a short stay (up to six months) in Switzerland?

This is to satisfy the canton's request to send them evidence I am insured with an approved provider. They also want me to backdate my insurance to the date I arrived.

Until now, I have had insurance with World Nomads, which is much cheaper than the Swiss insurers. 

I guess I will need to switch to a Swiss insurer. Does anyone know if they insure you for a short time? I have been reading threads here about people being locked into five-year contracts (eek!).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rosemarie NDec 19, 2016 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 2400 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Health insurance for short stay in Switzerland?
Post 1

Dear Rosemarie, I work in the health insurance business. My company is called Atupri; we have quite attractive premiums in Geneva (compared to other Swiss companies not global ones;-)) As you just stay here for a couple of months, I would have suggested that you try to get exempted of the obligation to get a mandatory insurance here. But only the canton is allowed to give you this exemption. 

If the cantons doesn't accept your global insurance, you have no other choice then to take a Swiss insurance for the time of your stay. But don't worry about the cancellation process. When you leave the country, just send your insurance company a copy of the departure attestation (established by the community). Then they will ask you a couple of questions to check if you keep some reference to Switzerland (rente AI, employer in Switzerland). Probably will not be the case and your contract will be cancelled at the official day of your departure. If you quit for a country out of the UE they will not even ask this questions and need just an attestation of your departure to cancel the mandatory insurance. 

I hope I could help you a bit. Don't hesitate to get back to me for questions. 

And even more important: have an excellent stay in Switzerland 

Daniela

Dear Rosemarie, I work in the health insurance business. My company is called Atupri; we have quite attractive premiums in Geneva (compared to other Swiss companies not global ones;-)) As you just stay here for a couple of months, I would have suggested that you try to get exempted of the obligation to get a mandatory insurance here. But only the canton is allowed to give you this exemption. 

If the cantons doesn't accept your global insurance, you have no other choice then to take a Swiss insurance for the time of your stay. But don't worry about the cancellation process. When you leave the country, just send your insurance company a copy of the departure attestation (established by the community). Then they will ask you a couple of questions to check if you keep some reference to Switzerland (rente AI, employer in Switzerland). Probably will not be the case and your contract will be cancelled at the official day of your departure. If you quit for a country out of the UE they will not even ask this questions and need just an attestation of your departure to cancel the mandatory insurance. 

I hope I could help you a bit. Don't hesitate to get back to me for questions. 

And even more important: have an excellent stay in Switzerland 

Daniela

Daniela Z, Dec 21, 2016 @ 09:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi, Allianz and zurich health insurance are accepted, and not that expensivE. Allianz have one covering 185 days stay For Swiss and Schengen countries. I i give you link of what it entails. I think you can buy this in your country of origin. The travel agents in your country that arrange tour to Swiss might know And can help buy for you.

https://www.allianz-assistance.ch/content/7/en/travel-insurance/schengen-visa

You can google more for Zurich and get comparison, good luck.

Hi, Allianz and zurich health insurance are accepted, and not that expensivE. Allianz have one covering 185 days stay For Swiss and Schengen countries. I i give you link of what it entails. I think you can buy this in your country of origin. The travel agents in your country that arrange tour to Swiss might know And can help buy for you.

https://www.allianz-assistance.ch/content/7/en/travel-insurance/schengen-visa

You can google more for Zurich and get comparison, good luck.

Inoka Bkk, Dec 21, 2016 @ 10:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks, Inoka. Unfortunately, Zurich and Allianz are not on the Canton's list of acceptable insurance providers. Since I have been here for a couple of months already, I would not be eligible for insurance by Allianz, accordig to the information at this link. But thanks for trying to help! Cool 

Thanks, Inoka. Unfortunately, Zurich and Allianz are not on the Canton's list of acceptable insurance providers. Since I have been here for a couple of months already, I would not be eligible for insurance by Allianz, accordig to the information at this link. But thanks for trying to help! Cool 

Rosemarie N, Dec 21, 2016 @ 11:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks, Daniela. I will show them my travel insurance and my (short) contract to see if they will allow it. I have the feeling it's illegal to be insured twice anyway! 

I am definitely worried about the cancellation process given some of the comments here from people who were chased for premiums long after they left CH. LOL

Thanks for your help. I will check out Atupri too. 

Rosemarie

Thanks, Daniela. I will show them my travel insurance and my (short) contract to see if they will allow it. I have the feeling it's illegal to be insured twice anyway! 

I am definitely worried about the cancellation process given some of the comments here from people who were chased for premiums long after they left CH. LOL

Thanks for your help. I will check out Atupri too. 

Rosemarie

Rosemarie N, Dec 21, 2016 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Rosemary

If you are resident of Switzerland or work here you are legally obliged to be insured with the basic health coverage defined by the “”Loi fédérale sur l'assurance-maladie” (LAMal). That means inversely that when you stop working in Switzerland or leave the country for good that the insurance cannot be continued and the contract is cancelled.

Your concerns about insurances that cannot be cancelled on short notice are those providing health coverage in addition to the mandatory one.

If your cantonal administration does not exempt you from contracting a Swiss health insurance considering the short time of your stay, contact one of the “caisses maladie” under following link:

http://www.priminfo.ch/praemien/praemien_dat/CH-2017.pdf

It is a complete list or insurers and their fees in the different cantons.

Additional official information can be found on:

http://www.priminfo.ch/praemien/index.php?mode=wechsel_ort&sprache=f&ausgabe=spar&akat1=e&akat2=e&akat3=e&akat4=e&akat5=e&akat6=e&fran_person=pers_1&trend_amod=e&kt=&rg=0&gde_nr=&gde_name=&anc=&js_submit=1&hpot=&plz=&wohnort=essertes&jahrgang1=&franchise1=&jahrgang2=&franchise2=&jahrgang3=&franchise3=&jahrgang4=&franchise4=&jahrgang5=&franchise5=&jahrgang6=&franchise6=&akt_kasse=

Hi Rosemary

If you are resident of Switzerland or work here you are legally obliged to be insured with the basic health coverage defined by the “”Loi fédérale sur l'assurance-maladie” (LAMal). That means inversely that when you stop working in Switzerland or leave the country for good that the insurance cannot be continued and the contract is cancelled.

Your concerns about insurances that cannot be cancelled on short notice are those providing health coverage in addition to the mandatory one.

If your cantonal administration does not exempt you from contracting a Swiss health insurance considering the short time of your stay, contact one of the “caisses maladie” under following link:

http://www.priminfo.ch/praemien/praemien_dat/CH-2017.pdf

It is a complete list or insurers and their fees in the different cantons.

Additional official information can be found on:

http://www.priminfo.ch/praemien/index.php?mode=wechsel_ort&sprache=f&ausgabe=spar&akat1=e&akat2=e&akat3=e&akat4=e&akat5=e&akat6=e&fran_person=pers_1&trend_amod=e&kt=&rg=0&gde_nr=&gde_name=&anc=&js_submit=1&hpot=&plz=&wohnort=essertes&jahrgang1=&franchise1=&jahrgang2=&franchise2=&jahrgang3=&franchise3=&jahrgang4=&franchise4=&jahrgang5=&franchise5=&jahrgang6=&franchise6=&akt_kasse=

André Graf, Dec 26, 2016 @ 13:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 2400 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form