Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Holocaust Memorial Day

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Holocaust Memorial Day

Watching various things on TV has made me think how easily this story can slip into being the background wallpaper of our history.I heard today that apparently many young people have quite a vague notion of what happened.

it seems to me crucial that we keep reminding ourselves,in all the uncomfortable,sickening detail - all very horrible to confront,but important not to forget,

Incredible to think  that this all happened within the lifetime of my own parents.

The text you are quoting:

Watching various things on TV has made me think how easily this story can slip into being the background wallpaper of our history.I heard today that apparently many young people have quite a vague notion of what happened.

it seems to me crucial that we keep reminding ourselves,in all the uncomfortable,sickening detail - all very horrible to confront,but important not to forget,

Incredible to think  that this all happened within the lifetime of my own parents.

buzzcocksJan 27, 2015 @ 22:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1130 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Holocaust Memorial Day
Post 1

I respect and admire the Jewish people, but today I also want to remember that all around the world some persons are still slaughtered because of what they believe or just because of who they are.

Let's  not forget and remind our children to be respectful of all people though out the world.

I respect and admire the Jewish people, but today I also want to remember that all around the world some persons are still slaughtered because of what they believe or just because of who they are.

Let's  not forget and remind our children to be respectful of all people though out the world.

Myriam A, Jan 27, 2015 @ 23:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

What was done by certain animals to other people was far worse than anxthing being meted out today and it was only 70 years ago.

How can we be surprised by what is happening today in other parts of the world much of which is casused directly or indirectly by meddling or incompetence of European and American functionaries.  By meddling I mean that their actions are intended to cause this misery, by incompetence I mean incompetence 

What was done by certain animals to other people was far worse than anxthing being meted out today and it was only 70 years ago.

How can we be surprised by what is happening today in other parts of the world much of which is casused directly or indirectly by meddling or incompetence of European and American functionaries.  By meddling I mean that their actions are intended to cause this misery, by incompetence I mean incompetence 

Paul E, Jan 27, 2015 @ 23:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I totally agree with you Myriam.I think,every time anybody says they dislike a certain group of people,type of people,they should stop and think for a moment of the implications of that( and I include myself I this)

i was very struck by something that was said it the UK some years ago.This was along the lines that,for many people " Never Again" actually means " Never again,will Jews in 1930's Europe be rounded up,starved,put into extermination camps etc etc" - ie,we don't tend to make the link with how we behave towards eachother NOW in our modern world.

We have already seen that smaller scale atrocities are still possible

I totally agree with you Myriam.I think,every time anybody says they dislike a certain group of people,type of people,they should stop and think for a moment of the implications of that( and I include myself I this)

i was very struck by something that was said it the UK some years ago.This was along the lines that,for many people " Never Again" actually means " Never again,will Jews in 1930's Europe be rounded up,starved,put into extermination camps etc etc" - ie,we don't tend to make the link with how we behave towards eachother NOW in our modern world.

We have already seen that smaller scale atrocities are still possible

buzzcocks, Jan 27, 2015 @ 23:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Unfortunately we are seeing the revisionism of history... The Russian president or his representative was missing. Mr. Putin was there for the 60th anniversary! 

Celebrating the liberation of Auschwitz without anyone from the Liberators present is a sick joke. I am amazed at the silence of the rest of the Jewish community on this point. Perhaps the next war, military officers will ignore the liberation of slave laborers and continue onwards toward their military objectives? Sets a great precedent does it not? Or was the artificial rubber produced by IG Farben next door, key to their pursuits?

That the Russians came and saved over 7,500 retched, lice covered starving slaves, risking typhus, on their march to Berlin was a great gesture of human decency.  They had to find the means to take care of them in the midst of a very harsh winter, with very long supply lines...

The lack of respect for the people who fought not only to liberate these desperately needy people, but who also mobilized to take care of them in the heat of battle is damningly outrageous.

A moment of respect in honour to those who showed their human kindness is most welcome.

Unfortunately we are seeing the revisionism of history... The Russian president or his representative was missing. Mr. Putin was there for the 60th anniversary! 

Celebrating the liberation of Auschwitz without anyone from the Liberators present is a sick joke. I am amazed at the silence of the rest of the Jewish community on this point. Perhaps the next war, military officers will ignore the liberation of slave laborers and continue onwards toward their military objectives? Sets a great precedent does it not? Or was the artificial rubber produced by IG Farben next door, key to their pursuits?

That the Russians came and saved over 7,500 retched, lice covered starving slaves, risking typhus, on their march to Berlin was a great gesture of human decency.  They had to find the means to take care of them in the midst of a very harsh winter, with very long supply lines...

The lack of respect for the people who fought not only to liberate these desperately needy people, but who also mobilized to take care of them in the heat of battle is damningly outrageous.

A moment of respect in honour to those who showed their human kindness is most welcome.

Gerold Rupprecht, Jan 28, 2015 @ 01:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Wow, alot of people change the subject and forget this is a post about Holocaust Memorial Day.

It is terrible what happended to all the millions of Jews, one of the worst Atrocity (inhuman, extremely wicked or cruel act) to eliminate a group of people because of there beliefs, and yeah this was 70 years ago, modern history and hope this will not happen again.

Please also remember +/- 6million jewish dies, but another 11million died. Many  many others were sent to concentration camps or death camps (slave) just as the Jews, to the so-called disinfection bath/Gas chambers and kilns. Which included the Romani, Gays, disabled persons, Free Masons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Bahá'í Faith, Non-Europeans (african and asian), Ukrainians, Polish, Slavs, etc. The criteria was for pure cleansing for Ethic, Political, Religious, etc.

However i'm scared, this will happen again.

Wow, alot of people change the subject and forget this is a post about Holocaust Memorial Day.

It is terrible what happended to all the millions of Jews, one of the worst Atrocity (inhuman, extremely wicked or cruel act) to eliminate a group of people because of there beliefs, and yeah this was 70 years ago, modern history and hope this will not happen again.

Please also remember +/- 6million jewish dies, but another 11million died. Many  many others were sent to concentration camps or death camps (slave) just as the Jews, to the so-called disinfection bath/Gas chambers and kilns. Which included the Romani, Gays, disabled persons, Free Masons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Bahá'í Faith, Non-Europeans (african and asian), Ukrainians, Polish, Slavs, etc. The criteria was for pure cleansing for Ethic, Political, Religious, etc.

However i'm scared, this will happen again.

Dave G, Jan 28, 2015 @ 02:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

For Gerold

Am not sure where Mr Putin wasn't but I saw on russian TV that he was somewhere accompanied by Jewish leaders.  Wasn't concentrating not sure whether he was in Russia or somewhere in Europe.  That for me is good enough

For Gerold

Am not sure where Mr Putin wasn't but I saw on russian TV that he was somewhere accompanied by Jewish leaders.  Wasn't concentrating not sure whether he was in Russia or somewhere in Europe.  That for me is good enough

Paul E, Jan 28, 2015 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Sionist lobby propaganda

Sionist lobby propaganda

TheColdKid ., Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Sionist lobby propaganda

Jan 28, 15 12:09

I am certain the residents of the capital of the Canton de Valais would appreciate this comment.

I am certain the residents of the capital of the Canton de Valais would appreciate this comment.

sheila c, Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I often wonder whether lessons have been learned.  Having worked in two factories in Blackburn in the seventies I was shocked by:

1. A guy who told me he loved looking out of his window watching all the Asian schoolkids suffering in winter as they went to school

2. A guy who told me that he voted for the British National Party in the hope that they would build concentration camps in the hills agove Darwen (nearby time) to but all the coloured and black immigrants in

Both these people outwardly were polite, well-mannered but fu.....g ....and you can add your own description here

Ha ve we mutated since the seventies and become different - I do not think so.

I have to admit that I am a racist in some ways - it is almost impossible not to be.  my racism is not based on colour but it is still there.    

I often wonder whether lessons have been learned.  Having worked in two factories in Blackburn in the seventies I was shocked by:

1. A guy who told me he loved looking out of his window watching all the Asian schoolkids suffering in winter as they went to school

2. A guy who told me that he voted for the British National Party in the hope that they would build concentration camps in the hills agove Darwen (nearby time) to but all the coloured and black immigrants in

Both these people outwardly were polite, well-mannered but fu.....g ....and you can add your own description here

Ha ve we mutated since the seventies and become different - I do not think so.

I have to admit that I am a racist in some ways - it is almost impossible not to be.  my racism is not based on colour but it is still there.    

Paul E, Jan 28, 2015 @ 12:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello PaulE,

Not receiving an official invitation is a huge diplomatic snub. These gatherings allow a number of other sensitive issues to be handled at the same time in an informal manner. It is generally of interest to all parties, except in preliminaries to a war...

You can read Mr. Putin's speech translated in English at the link below,

http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23533

M. Putin very carefully makes his remarks.

Well worth reading, particulaly his remark on the Nuremberg trials.

The trials are an embarassment to international law, with many of the accused being deprived of interpreters to understand the charges against them, disallowed to call their own defense witnesses, retroactive application of laws, particularly those with the death penalty, but worse was the torture of the accused (137 suffered crushed testicles), and massive food (bread) poisoning of many of them. A particularly eloquent video is the testimony of M. Julias Streicher, at his trial, which was later struck from the record,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rWUO2-aaI

M. Streicher recieved the death sentence for his vile racist publications. The First Amendment of the US constitution did not apply at Nuremberg.

The original Nuremberg trial materials are still under lock and key in Washington. The current narrative has some important discrepencies to justify blocking access.

Perhaps M. Putin can help enlighten us?

It is ironic the current commentary going around Charlie Hebdo (CH) and the freedom of speech, considering the racist content. The writings get very close to treating Moslems as sub-humans, which is so depressingly familiar...

The CH incident is being used to bring in a more encompassing surveillance state or at least to legitimize the current illegal state of affairs in the secret services...

Unfortunately Auschwitz was not the end of genocide nor torture nor slave labor.

The American PoW camps such as at Rheinfelden left thousands more dead, never mind the Gulags documented by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn ( "The Gulag Archipelago" is now part of the obligatory high-school curriculum in Russia since 2009).

The recent  US Senate's torture report, means there is still a long way to go to promote human decency.

The distorsions of the Polish government, with the neo-nazi M. Porochenko of the Ukraine claiming they helped liberate Auschwitz makes certain victims and their families more than a little upset.

The most cruel Auschwitz camp guards were the Bandaraist Ukrainians, from Western Ukraine, whose modern day followers in the form of the Svoboda Party and Pravy Sektor, currently sit in the Rada in Kiev.

That EU member states make no objections is appalling.

How will the Russians interpret their silence? It bodes badly for our future.

Auschwitz should have shown the world there is no place for treating anyone as subhuman...

There is no place for Russian speakers in Mr. Porochenko's Ukraine today. A government that calls a portion of its citizenry "subhumans" and suspends their constitutional human rights must be called to account. May I suggest watching Mr. Porochenko in his own words,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q7y019rXGms

The US, Canada and the Ukraine voted against a UN Resolution condemning the heroization of Nazism.  The EU was not much better: it abstained.  This development is so crazy, so insane, that it is important to have access to the original document which was voted on,

Here is the full text of the Resolution:

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N14/604/26/PDF/N1460426.pdf

As for the Ukrainians themselves, they have suffered more from Nazis then any other country or ethnic group, and yet they also refused to condemn the heroization of Nazism.  This makes a mockery not only of all their so-called principles and values, it also is an act of obscene disrespect for the millions of Ukrainians murdered by the Nazis.

This clearly shows unequivocally how much western elites truly hate Russia and that this hate clearly trumps any other considerations or values.  The hypocrisy, corruption, immorality, cowardice and sheer stupidity of Germany and the EU is absolutely stunning.

I sincerely hope more people speak up about this.

Nuremberg

Hello PaulE,

Not receiving an official invitation is a huge diplomatic snub. These gatherings allow a number of other sensitive issues to be handled at the same time in an informal manner. It is generally of interest to all parties, except in preliminaries to a war...

You can read Mr. Putin's speech translated in English at the link below,

http://eng.kremlin.ru/news/23533

M. Putin very carefully makes his remarks.

Well worth reading, particulaly his remark on the Nuremberg trials.

The trials are an embarassment to international law, with many of the accused being deprived of interpreters to understand the charges against them, disallowed to call their own defense witnesses, retroactive application of laws, particularly those with the death penalty, but worse was the torture of the accused (137 suffered crushed testicles), and massive food (bread) poisoning of many of them. A particularly eloquent video is the testimony of M. Julias Streicher, at his trial, which was later struck from the record,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rWUO2-aaI

M. Streicher recieved the death sentence for his vile racist publications. The First Amendment of the US constitution did not apply at Nuremberg.

The original Nuremberg trial materials are still under lock and key in Washington. The current narrative has some important discrepencies to justify blocking access.

Perhaps M. Putin can help enlighten us?

It is ironic the current commentary going around Charlie Hebdo (CH) and the freedom of speech, considering the racist content. The writings get very close to treating Moslems as sub-humans, which is so depressingly familiar...

The CH incident is being used to bring in a more encompassing surveillance state or at least to legitimize the current illegal state of affairs in the secret services...

Unfortunately Auschwitz was not the end of genocide nor torture nor slave labor.

The American PoW camps such as at Rheinfelden left thousands more dead, never mind the Gulags documented by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn ( "The Gulag Archipelago" is now part of the obligatory high-school curriculum in Russia since 2009).

The recent  US Senate's torture report, means there is still a long way to go to promote human decency.

The distorsions of the Polish government, with the neo-nazi M. Porochenko of the Ukraine claiming they helped liberate Auschwitz makes certain victims and their families more than a little upset.

The most cruel Auschwitz camp guards were the Bandaraist Ukrainians, from Western Ukraine, whose modern day followers in the form of the Svoboda Party and Pravy Sektor, currently sit in the Rada in Kiev.

That EU member states make no objections is appalling.

How will the Russians interpret their silence? It bodes badly for our future.

Auschwitz should have shown the world there is no place for treating anyone as subhuman...

There is no place for Russian speakers in Mr. Porochenko's Ukraine today. A government that calls a portion of its citizenry "subhumans" and suspends their constitutional human rights must be called to account. May I suggest watching Mr. Porochenko in his own words,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=q7y019rXGms

The US, Canada and the Ukraine voted against a UN Resolution condemning the heroization of Nazism.  The EU was not much better: it abstained.  This development is so crazy, so insane, that it is important to have access to the original document which was voted on,

Here is the full text of the Resolution:

http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N14/604/26/PDF/N1460426.pdf

As for the Ukrainians themselves, they have suffered more from Nazis then any other country or ethnic group, and yet they also refused to condemn the heroization of Nazism.  This makes a mockery not only of all their so-called principles and values, it also is an act of obscene disrespect for the millions of Ukrainians murdered by the Nazis.

This clearly shows unequivocally how much western elites truly hate Russia and that this hate clearly trumps any other considerations or values.  The hypocrisy, corruption, immorality, cowardice and sheer stupidity of Germany and the EU is absolutely stunning.

I sincerely hope more people speak up about this.

Nuremberg

Gerold Rupprecht, Jan 28, 2015 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

there is no time and no place for this discussion.

I really hope we have not misunderstood your meaning here, considering that yesterday was World Holocaust Day, as well as the 70th Anniversary of the freeing of Oswiecim, otherwise notoriously known as Auschwitz

there is no time and no place for this discussion.

I really hope we have not misunderstood your meaning here, considering that yesterday was World Holocaust Day, as well as the 70th Anniversary of the freeing of Oswiecim, otherwise notoriously known as Auschwitz

sheila c, Jan 28, 2015 @ 15:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Don't worry,I also misunderstood at first but reread carefully and then your meaning became clear..It is easy to be misunderstood when writing in a second language - and on these forums,even when writing in one's first language,one can be misread or misunderstood.

And I agree with what you say about " this discussion"

Don't worry,I also misunderstood at first but reread carefully and then your meaning became clear..It is easy to be misunderstood when writing in a second language - and on these forums,even when writing in one's first language,one can be misread or misunderstood.

And I agree with what you say about " this discussion"

buzzcocks, Jan 28, 2015 @ 16:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

My first post was to point out that many many people died & suffered.

As such I just wanted to ensure we remember all of the loss, not just of one culture.

And the death and destruction was terrible, between 16-20million deaths, all due to inhuman, extremely wicked or cruel act of Adolf Hitler, Nazi Germany and the Third Reich.

There was no justification that could ever legitimize this 'modern day' tragedy.

----------------------------

On a personal note, My grandfather left Germany in 1939 at the age of 34yrs old with my grandmother, with just one suitcase.That is all the goverment allowed him to take for a 'holiday trip'. Via france and england, He went to USA and worked as a translator and other for the USA government. Immigrated threw Ellis Island in New York with help of family already in USA.

Why he left, he was christian as his father was christian but his mom Rosine Knoblauch of Kocherstetten, Wurtt Germanys was Jewish as both her parents father 'Michael Andreas George Knoblauch' and his Mother 'Magdalena Barbara Maria Stein' were jewish. He knew he had to leave or he would be suspected Jew or Jewish sympathizer. He was one of the most lucky persons, to get out of Europe at that time. He was very grateful and did everything to help the USA goverment/military as he was fluent in English and High German. As he studied, worked and travel to England, France, Italy, Switzerland and yeah New York/California.

My Grandfather left his His parents as they were not allowed to leave, later he learned they were 'said' to have died of Cancer, but no one really knows and there were no graves ever found?

My first post was to point out that many many people died & suffered.

As such I just wanted to ensure we remember all of the loss, not just of one culture.

And the death and destruction was terrible, between 16-20million deaths, all due to inhuman, extremely wicked or cruel act of Adolf Hitler, Nazi Germany and the Third Reich.

There was no justification that could ever legitimize this 'modern day' tragedy.

----------------------------

On a personal note, My grandfather left Germany in 1939 at the age of 34yrs old with my grandmother, with just one suitcase.That is all the goverment allowed him to take for a 'holiday trip'. Via france and england, He went to USA and worked as a translator and other for the USA government. Immigrated threw Ellis Island in New York with help of family already in USA.

Why he left, he was christian as his father was christian but his mom Rosine Knoblauch of Kocherstetten, Wurtt Germanys was Jewish as both her parents father 'Michael Andreas George Knoblauch' and his Mother 'Magdalena Barbara Maria Stein' were jewish. He knew he had to leave or he would be suspected Jew or Jewish sympathizer. He was one of the most lucky persons, to get out of Europe at that time. He was very grateful and did everything to help the USA goverment/military as he was fluent in English and High German. As he studied, worked and travel to England, France, Italy, Switzerland and yeah New York/California.

My Grandfather left his His parents as they were not allowed to leave, later he learned they were 'said' to have died of Cancer, but no one really knows and there were no graves ever found?

Dave G, Jan 28, 2015 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Dave G. Maybe the best thing is to hope thatthey really did die of cancer although it is true that the doubt will always linger and maybe should be allowed to linger in future generatins of your family

Dave G. Maybe the best thing is to hope thatthey really did die of cancer although it is true that the doubt will always linger and maybe should be allowed to linger in future generatins of your family

Paul E, Jan 28, 2015 @ 21:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

There seems to be no limit to human cruelty, past or present. 

Cruelty is equal-opportunity. It does not discriminate. Men, women, children, any faith, any color, any socio-economic background, any nationality, etc...

Cry a few tears, then move on and live a kick-ass life. Find happiness where you can. What else can a person do?

There seems to be no limit to human cruelty, past or present. 

Cruelty is equal-opportunity. It does not discriminate. Men, women, children, any faith, any color, any socio-economic background, any nationality, etc...

Cry a few tears, then move on and live a kick-ass life. Find happiness where you can. What else can a person do?

Carrie O, Jan 28, 2015 @ 22:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 1130 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form