Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Leaving Geneva - What to do about flat?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Leaving Geneva - What to do about flat?

Hi,

Unfortunately I will soon leave Geneva and move back to the UK. One thing that worries me a lot is that I have heard quite a few "horror stories" where the regie made people who left pay huge amounts of money for small damages and wear and tear of the flat. Is this common in Geneva? To be fair I am the ideal candidate to be taken advantage of, as I am a foreigner, will leave the country and my French is very very basic.

In my opinion the wear and tear in the flat is normal. I have been living here alone for about 4 years and never put any paitings or photos on the walls. But you can obviously see a few scratches on the parquet and the walls. Obviously I want to avoid that the regie tries to make me pay to redecorate the whole flat...

How can I avoid this? I am about to go through the standard moves when leaving Geneva, i.e. giving my regie notice, finding someone to take over my flat as I want to leave before the end of the notice period. I have heard that some people use professional cleaning companies for a final clean up of the flat who will guarantee to you that the flat is in a suitable condition for the final inspection by the regie. Is that common here? Anything else I need to pay attention to?

Many thanks for your help! 

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

Unfortunately I will soon leave Geneva and move back to the UK. One thing that worries me a lot is that I have heard quite a few "horror stories" where the regie made people who left pay huge amounts of money for small damages and wear and tear of the flat. Is this common in Geneva? To be fair I am the ideal candidate to be taken advantage of, as I am a foreigner, will leave the country and my French is very very basic.

In my opinion the wear and tear in the flat is normal. I have been living here alone for about 4 years and never put any paitings or photos on the walls. But you can obviously see a few scratches on the parquet and the walls. Obviously I want to avoid that the regie tries to make me pay to redecorate the whole flat...

How can I avoid this? I am about to go through the standard moves when leaving Geneva, i.e. giving my regie notice, finding someone to take over my flat as I want to leave before the end of the notice period. I have heard that some people use professional cleaning companies for a final clean up of the flat who will guarantee to you that the flat is in a suitable condition for the final inspection by the regie. Is that common here? Anything else I need to pay attention to?

Many thanks for your help! 

Ben KMay 12, 2018 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1224 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Leaving Geneva - What to do about flat?
Post 1

I would join Asloca if i were you. Its the renters assosiation, and ive heard that its good to have somebody from there with you at the handover

I would join Asloca if i were you. Its the renters assosiation, and ive heard that its good to have somebody from there with you at the handover

Maria_, May 12, 2018 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Ben, Maria is correct, be careful and best to have Asloca behind you. 

Rental companies must accept normal wear and tear , 4 years would be in that time frame for a bit of wear. 

If gross damage, best to get 3 estimates in advance. And infact get the work done beforehand. Or dispute can go one for a year. also , regie or owner says the repairs are not like the state you got the appartment in. 

Did zou sign a 'check in list' to spot out damage or poorly maintained? If not, then zou can say zou never were given a check list and signed, and that the state of the appartment is same as when you arrived, and because an owener or regie cant prove that, they cant do shtz. 

Also whenever you have something to repair due to malfunction or natural damages, take photos and send registered letters, if not they will say they got not notice from you and you neglected the property by not notifying them. Sorry but this it the second problem of renting in Geneva. First if just finding something and trust me, its never reasonable rently prices, its outrageous. 

But I highly suggest for you and anyone, if in question, take photos when zou move in and when you move out, so you have proof. Dont get burned by Regies that have the owners interest at heart and look at you as a tenant as skum, and they do say that. They are aweful. Dont trust them, they will not help you one bit. 

Ben, Maria is correct, be careful and best to have Asloca behind you. 

Rental companies must accept normal wear and tear , 4 years would be in that time frame for a bit of wear. 

If gross damage, best to get 3 estimates in advance. And infact get the work done beforehand. Or dispute can go one for a year. also , regie or owner says the repairs are not like the state you got the appartment in. 

Did zou sign a 'check in list' to spot out damage or poorly maintained? If not, then zou can say zou never were given a check list and signed, and that the state of the appartment is same as when you arrived, and because an owener or regie cant prove that, they cant do shtz. 

Also whenever you have something to repair due to malfunction or natural damages, take photos and send registered letters, if not they will say they got not notice from you and you neglected the property by not notifying them. Sorry but this it the second problem of renting in Geneva. First if just finding something and trust me, its never reasonable rently prices, its outrageous. 

But I highly suggest for you and anyone, if in question, take photos when zou move in and when you move out, so you have proof. Dont get burned by Regies that have the owners interest at heart and look at you as a tenant as skum, and they do say that. They are aweful. Dont trust them, they will not help you one bit. 

Dave G, May 13, 2018 @ 17:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I have heard quite a few "horror stories" where the regie made people who left pay huge amounts of money for small damages and wear and tear of the flat. 

I'm curious. how did they make them pay if they'd left the country?

I have heard quite a few "horror stories" where the regie made people who left pay huge amounts of money for small damages and wear and tear of the flat. 

liam m, May 28, 2018 @ 15:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

May 28, 18 15:33

They'll keep the 3 months security deposit, which is enough to cover most damages. Anything larger and it's probably an insurance issue. If it's more than the security deposit, it's difficult to get any money back from someone who has left the country, but they can escalate things in Switzerland in case the person would ever try and come back to live.

They'll keep the 3 months security deposit, which is enough to cover most damages. Anything larger and it's probably an insurance issue. If it's more than the security deposit, it's difficult to get any money back from someone who has left the country, but they can escalate things in Switzerland in case the person would ever try and come back to live.

Matt Williams, May 28, 2018 @ 17:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Contact your Insurance if you have one "assurance d'habitation" and inform them that you will be leaving and they will advise you on what to ask of the Régie so that the Insurance can cover all eventual repairs.

Contact your Insurance if you have one "assurance d'habitation" and inform them that you will be leaving and they will advise you on what to ask of the Régie so that the Insurance can cover all eventual repairs.

Sana, May 28, 2018 @ 17:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Ben 

Its happened to me in Geneva therefore I have a couple of questions for you though did you pay a full deposit yourself or used a bank deposit of Smart caution In all the cases your money won’t be touched unless you agree with the amount to be taken  

Do you have a legal protection ( protection juridique ) contract that might be very useful to push back and finally as Maria suggested  Asloca is a great option to consider 

I would suggest to ask your reggie for their professional cleaning agency so they won’t challenge the cleaning and see how it goes for the rest take pictures and someone who speaks french

good luck 

Hi Ben 

Its happened to me in Geneva therefore I have a couple of questions for you though did you pay a full deposit yourself or used a bank deposit of Smart caution In all the cases your money won’t be touched unless you agree with the amount to be taken  

Do you have a legal protection ( protection juridique ) contract that might be very useful to push back and finally as Maria suggested  Asloca is a great option to consider 

I would suggest to ask your reggie for their professional cleaning agency so they won’t challenge the cleaning and see how it goes for the rest take pictures and someone who speaks french

good luck 

Sarah g, May 28, 2018 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1224 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form