Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Living In France working in Lausanne

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Living In France working in Lausanne

Just some general info before we talk to our employer. My wife and I have Res B permits, continuing employment in Lausanne but would like to live in France west of Neuchatel, possibly buying a property there vs renting here

Is it easy to get a French residency visa if we have confirmed Swiss employment?

Is taxation and medical insurance affected by French residency?

Any difficult issues for non EU/French citizens?

I'd appreciate any information

Best 

Rob

The text you are quoting:

Just some general info before we talk to our employer. My wife and I have Res B permits, continuing employment in Lausanne but would like to live in France west of Neuchatel, possibly buying a property there vs renting here

Is it easy to get a French residency visa if we have confirmed Swiss employment?

Is taxation and medical insurance affected by French residency?

Any difficult issues for non EU/French citizens?

I'd appreciate any information

Best 

Rob

Rob SwalesOct 4, 2011 @ 20:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 3939 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Living In France working in Lausanne
Post 1

Hi Rob, I made more or less the same question to the HR department of my company last year, planning to move to Geneve (now I'm hired in Zurich) and so I was thinking to live in France. Being already EU citizen (I'm Italian) I don't have problems to have a French residency so I can't answer to the first question. Regarding the others, if you decide to live in France and work in Suisse, you will have a G permit (frontalier). You will pay the taxations according to the French rules (so not really convenient) and regarding the health insurance probably you need a specific health insurance for frontaliers, but for sure cheaper than the swiss one. Again, I'm not sure how difficult will be for you to have French residency permit but if you wanna buy a property there I believe not so much.

Max

Hi Rob, I made more or less the same question to the HR department of my company last year, planning to move to Geneve (now I'm hired in Zurich) and so I was thinking to live in France. Being already EU citizen (I'm Italian) I don't have problems to have a French residency so I can't answer to the first question. Regarding the others, if you decide to live in France and work in Suisse, you will have a G permit (frontalier). You will pay the taxations according to the French rules (so not really convenient) and regarding the health insurance probably you need a specific health insurance for frontaliers, but for sure cheaper than the swiss one. Again, I'm not sure how difficult will be for you to have French residency permit but if you wanna buy a property there I believe not so much.

Max

Massimiliano B, Oct 4, 2011 @ 22:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Regarding the taxes, it's correct that you will have to pay taxes in France (including on your salary) when you work in the canton of Vaud. For avoiding any misunderstanding, the situation is different for those who live in France and work in Geneva (they also file a tax return in France, but they obtain a full credit for the taxes on the salary which is subject to taxes in Geneva). The cantons of Vaud and Neuchatel have a special agreement with France in matter of cross-border workers.

Regarding the taxes, it's correct that you will have to pay taxes in France (including on your salary) when you work in the canton of Vaud. For avoiding any misunderstanding, the situation is different for those who live in France and work in Geneva (they also file a tax return in France, but they obtain a full credit for the taxes on the salary which is subject to taxes in Geneva). The cantons of Vaud and Neuchatel have a special agreement with France in matter of cross-border workers.

Per P, Oct 5, 2011 @ 08:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks for answering my query. Probably would only work out viable for us if we bought a property. But the information was helpful.

Thanks again

Rob

Thanks for answering my query. Probably would only work out viable for us if we bought a property. But the information was helpful.

Thanks again

Rob

Rob Swales, Oct 5, 2011 @ 21:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Per P,

I am actually considering to switch from working GVA and living in FRANCE to working in Lausanne. Would you have an advice/information on what is the level of taxation in France in such context ? and how does it compare to taxation in Vaud?

thanks a lot!

Nadia

Hi Per P,

I am actually considering to switch from working GVA and living in FRANCE to working in Lausanne. Would you have an advice/information on what is the level of taxation in France in such context ? and how does it compare to taxation in Vaud?

thanks a lot!

Nadia

Nadia Z, Mar 27, 2018 @ 20:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Per P,

thanks a lot!

Nadia

Mar 27, 18 20:48

Hi Nadia,

I would recommend that you check this question with a French tax adviser. I only provide advice on Swiss taxes and the answer to the question may depend on your personal situation (types and level of revenues, net wealth, martial status, number of children, etc).

Best regards,

Hi Nadia,

I would recommend that you check this question with a French tax adviser. I only provide advice on Swiss taxes and the answer to the question may depend on your personal situation (types and level of revenues, net wealth, martial status, number of children, etc).

Best regards,

Per P, Apr 24, 2018 @ 08:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 3939 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form