Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Looking for an Australian restaurant in Geneva... Any ideas?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Looking for an Australian restaurant in Geneva... Any ideas?

In anticipation of a trip to Australia, I wanted to surprise my girlfriend and take her out for an Aussie meal... Where can I do that?

The text you are quoting:

In anticipation of a trip to Australia, I wanted to surprise my girlfriend and take her out for an Aussie meal... Where can I do that?

Cpt_NumptyOct 23, 2014 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

13 Replies | 2440 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Looking for an Australian restaurant in Geneva... Any ideas?
Post 1

Just have a BBQ!  Fish, meat, anything but veg and you've pretty much got Aussie grub.  There's not really much of Australian cuisine, other than good meat and seafood.  There is a massive influence from Asia and even Mediterranean cuisine over there also.  I suppose you could try and find some witchetty grubs.  There are a few places to find Kangaroo meat around though.

Just have a BBQ!  Fish, meat, anything but veg and you've pretty much got Aussie grub.  There's not really much of Australian cuisine, other than good meat and seafood.  There is a massive influence from Asia and even Mediterranean cuisine over there also.  I suppose you could try and find some witchetty grubs.  There are a few places to find Kangaroo meat around though.

royle, Oct 23, 2014 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Royle: where can I get a Kangaroo steak and wash it down with a XXXX?

Thanks Royle: where can I get a Kangaroo steak and wash it down with a XXXX?

Cpt_Numpty, Oct 23, 2014 @ 17:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Capt_N

Check the NO Limit restaurant on the french border side near Annemasse. It is 1 Rue Chantemerle in 74100 VILLE-LA-GRAND. They have happy hours drinks, serve shark and kangaroo meat in a joyful ranch type atmosphere.They are open TUES-SAT and they have specials on these three coming days >>> all-you-can-eat Mixed grill so now is the time to try it out.

Bon appetit

Hi Capt_N

Check the NO Limit restaurant on the french border side near Annemasse. It is 1 Rue Chantemerle in 74100 VILLE-LA-GRAND. They have happy hours drinks, serve shark and kangaroo meat in a joyful ranch type atmosphere.They are open TUES-SAT and they have specials on these three coming days >>> all-you-can-eat Mixed grill so now is the time to try it out.

Bon appetit

Milord, Oct 23, 2014 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oct 23, 14 17:17

Aussies eat vegetables and salad! And we have meat pies, roast lamb, lamingtons and pavlova. What more could you want?

Aussies eat vegetables and salad! And we have meat pies, roast lamb, lamingtons and pavlova. What more could you want?

Juliane S, Oct 23, 2014 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

What more could you want?

Banana bread!!!!

What more could you want?

Banana bread!!!!

Casuistik, Oct 23, 2014 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thank you Milord for the only useful answer in the thread so far! I took you up on your advice, drove to the soulless industrial estate that is Ville-la-Grand and, nestled between an car showroom, Autoglass and Hotel Première Classe was the equivalent of a Buffalo Saloon type pre-fab wooden barn structure "Restaurant No-Limit Extrème". My girlfriend certainly was surprised.

Inside, the atmosphere was confused. The decor is a combination of Western-cactus-tequila-wildwest, with extreme motorbikes and advertisements for skydiving. The music was Arabic, in line with the eat-all-you-can-eat-couscous-night. The à la carte menu is an equally confused selection of bites. The clientèle near-unanimously obese. The service was clumsy and forgetful, but friendly.

The only Australian tid-bit we could identify on the menu was Kangaroo Steak with fries and a grilled half tomato. It wasn't bad. The Nachos were pretty rubbish: a bag of salty tortillas on a plate with a green paste that resembled guacamole, with the colour and texture of bronchitis snot. The strawberry salsa was not much better.

My partner's salad, the low-carb option, was a warm salad garnished with chicken wings and molten reblochon watered down with supermarket salad dressing.

Aside from the comedy value, and the fact that this is the only venue near Geneva to our knowledge that serves Skippy Steaks, I don't think we'll be in a rush to go there again.

Thank you nonetheless for answering the thread. Do you work there?

Thank you Milord for the only useful answer in the thread so far! I took you up on your advice, drove to the soulless industrial estate that is Ville-la-Grand and, nestled between an car showroom, Autoglass and Hotel Première Classe was the equivalent of a Buffalo Saloon type pre-fab wooden barn structure "Restaurant No-Limit Extrème". My girlfriend certainly was surprised.

Inside, the atmosphere was confused. The decor is a combination of Western-cactus-tequila-wildwest, with extreme motorbikes and advertisements for skydiving. The music was Arabic, in line with the eat-all-you-can-eat-couscous-night. The à la carte menu is an equally confused selection of bites. The clientèle near-unanimously obese. The service was clumsy and forgetful, but friendly.

The only Australian tid-bit we could identify on the menu was Kangaroo Steak with fries and a grilled half tomato. It wasn't bad. The Nachos were pretty rubbish: a bag of salty tortillas on a plate with a green paste that resembled guacamole, with the colour and texture of bronchitis snot. The strawberry salsa was not much better.

My partner's salad, the low-carb option, was a warm salad garnished with chicken wings and molten reblochon watered down with supermarket salad dressing.

Aside from the comedy value, and the fact that this is the only venue near Geneva to our knowledge that serves Skippy Steaks, I don't think we'll be in a rush to go there again.

Cpt_Numpty, Oct 23, 2014 @ 22:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oct 23, 14 22:38

Good luck iin Australia. I am sure you won't be disappointed with the range of food options but please don't expect to see kangaroo on very many menus. We love skippy too much to actually EAT him. Thanks for reviewing that "restaurant", it is now on my list of places to avoid like the plague.

Good luck iin Australia. I am sure you won't be disappointed with the range of food options but please don't expect to see kangaroo on very many menus. We love skippy too much to actually EAT him. Thanks for reviewing that "restaurant", it is now on my list of places to avoid like the plague.

Juliane S, Oct 23, 2014 @ 23:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

A good thing you love them so much... I cannot imagine what would be possibly happening if you didn't...

Aussie Shame: 4 Million Kangaroos Slaughtered Down Under Per Year

With no humane standards or accountability, kangaroos often die painful, protracted deaths.

By Jocelyn Heaney
May 30, 2012

Eastern Grey Kangaroos are highly adaptable and the most common kangaroos encountered in Australia. (Photo: Souther Stock/Getty)

Australia’s Nine news reports that the unregulated Australian kangaroo industry involves untrained farmers and landowners slaughtering a reported 90 million—yes, 90 million!—kangaroos over the past two decades. Like harp seals, of which 300,000 are slaughtered per year in Canada, kangaroos often suffer violent prolonged deaths. A common scenario involves shooting the kangaroo mothers, ripping the baby kangaroos (“joeys”) from their pouches, and stomping on the babies’ heads. 

Kangaroos are blamed for the degradation of land in Australia. The animals are alleged to damage wheat crops or compete with sheep for grazing land. However, much kangaroo slaughter takes place in the Outback, where no crops are grown. Kangaroo advocates also claim that the real land desecration in Australia comes from hoofed animals like cattle. 

Canadian animal rights lawyer Lesli Bisgould says that like the seals, kangaroo hunts “are happening in very remote places and so the only man who knows how the animal died is the man who killed them.” 

While Canada seals butchering is the largest commercial slaughter of marine-based animals, Australia’s kangaroo industry takes the title for land-based animals.

A good thing you love them so much... I cannot imagine what would be possibly happening if you didn't...

With no humane standards or accountability, kangaroos often die painful, protracted deaths.

By Jocelyn Heaney
May 30, 2012

Eastern Grey Kangaroos are highly adaptable and the most common kangaroos encountered in Australia. (Photo: Souther Stock/Getty)

Australia’s Nine news reports that the unregulated Australian kangaroo industry involves untrained farmers and landowners slaughtering a reported 90 million—yes, 90 million!—kangaroos over the past two decades. Like harp seals, of which 300,000 are slaughtered per year in Canada, kangaroos often suffer violent prolonged deaths. A common scenario involves shooting the kangaroo mothers, ripping the baby kangaroos (“joeys”) from their pouches, and stomping on the babies’ heads. 

Kangaroos are blamed for the degradation of land in Australia. The animals are alleged to damage wheat crops or compete with sheep for grazing land. However, much kangaroo slaughter takes place in the Outback, where no crops are grown. Kangaroo advocates also claim that the real land desecration in Australia comes from hoofed animals like cattle. 

Canadian animal rights lawyer Lesli Bisgould says that like the seals, kangaroo hunts “are happening in very remote places and so the only man who knows how the animal died is the man who killed them.” 

While Canada seals butchering is the largest commercial slaughter of marine-based animals, Australia’s kangaroo industry takes the title for land-based animals.

Casuistik, Oct 24, 2014 @ 05:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

On further reflection, I feel I was a bit hard on the restaurant that Milord proposed. People at other tables were clearly enjoying themselves and the plates were going back to the kitchen empty. If I had kids, they would probably love to go to such a place.

On further reflection, I feel I was a bit hard on the restaurant that Milord proposed. People at other tables were clearly enjoying themselves and the plates were going back to the kitchen empty. If I had kids, they would probably love to go to such a place.

Cpt_Numpty, Oct 24, 2014 @ 09:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Thanks Cpt_Numpty:

Seems like you had a harsch day yesterday to be far from diplomatic. No, I do not work there for as much as you would feel concerned. I do not own shares in their business either. I do not recall you read my comments on any tasty recipes the Extreme NO Limit restaurant is serving at your table. You are the one who asked " where can I get a Kangaroo steak and wash it down with a XXXX" ? We merely tried to help where to locate such a place...BTW I did notice you forgot to comment on the beer taste and brand they sell. Was it luke-warm in the mug...? Sorry for you if they forgot to present an icy draft beer ! Next time you should make your own investigation before reaching a restaurant.

Glad you mentioned family with kids liked the western style and the food. Kids do make people change food style and food taste then.

@Juliane S  and @Casuistik,

IMHO I wouldn' go too much for the skippy meat as it has been for years exported from Australia and ALPO brand in dog food preparation was among top importers.

Thanks Cpt_Numpty:

Seems like you had a harsch day yesterday to be far from diplomatic. No, I do not work there for as much as you would feel concerned. I do not own shares in their business either. I do not recall you read my comments on any tasty recipes the Extreme NO Limit restaurant is serving at your table. You are the one who asked " where can I get a Kangaroo steak and wash it down with a XXXX" ? We merely tried to help where to locate such a place...BTW I did notice you forgot to comment on the beer taste and brand they sell. Was it luke-warm in the mug...? Sorry for you if they forgot to present an icy draft beer ! Next time you should make your own investigation before reaching a restaurant.

Glad you mentioned family with kids liked the western style and the food. Kids do make people change food style and food taste then.

@Juliane S  and @Casuistik,

IMHO I wouldn' go too much for the skippy meat as it has been for years exported from Australia and ALPO brand in dog food preparation was among top importers.

Milord, Oct 24, 2014 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

The beer was delicious. There was Heineken, Affligem, Pelforth, Edelweiss and one more. I went for a cold pint of Heiny followed by one for the road. It went down like a dream.

I very much appreciate your assistance in my investigation Milord.

The beer was delicious. There was Heineken, Affligem, Pelforth, Edelweiss and one more. I went for a cold pint of Heiny followed by one for the road. It went down like a dream.

I very much appreciate your assistance in my investigation Milord.

Cpt_Numpty, Oct 24, 2014 @ 13:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Oct 23, 14 22:38

Once you reach DU, you should feel at home there

sheila c, Oct 24, 2014 @ 18:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Oct 24, 14 18:33

Oh, Sheila, do tell us more.  Where exactly is this gastronomic delight and how does one get there?  Did you visit often?

Thanks for sharing anything scary, it being the season of Hallow’een and all that.

R.

Oh, Sheila, do tell us more.  Where exactly is this gastronomic delight and how does one get there?  Did you visit often?

Thanks for sharing anything scary, it being the season of Hallow’een and all that.

R.

Ritchie, Oct 24, 2014 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
13 Replies | 2440 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form