Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Minimum wage

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Minimum wage

By talking with my classmates in the language school, I really got very attonish when my colleagues talked to me about their salaries: a Spanish architect with international experience got an offer of CHF 3'500.00 brutto! Since me, as reception manager, my HR manager controll very good that I pay a person without experience, just because she/he has a aprenticeship certificate CHF 4'100.00.  

So sd help for others:

Here is a goverment official calculator of salaries (just available in German, French and Italian):

http://www.hotelgastro.ch/download.cfm?ID_n=334&unter=334&haupt=95&language=1

As reference here is the minimum salaries table for the hotel business:

http://www.hotelleriesuisse.ch/files/pdf5/Lhne_2014_de.pdf

I hope it helps others!

The text you are quoting:

By talking with my classmates in the language school, I really got very attonish when my colleagues talked to me about their salaries: a Spanish architect with international experience got an offer of CHF 3'500.00 brutto! Since me, as reception manager, my HR manager controll very good that I pay a person without experience, just because she/he has a aprenticeship certificate CHF 4'100.00.  

So sd help for others:

Here is a goverment official calculator of salaries (just available in German, French and Italian):

http://www.hotelgastro.ch/download.cfm?ID_n=334&unter=334&haupt=95&language=1

As reference here is the minimum salaries table for the hotel business:

http://www.hotelleriesuisse.ch/files/pdf5/Lhne_2014_de.pdf

I hope it helps others!

Denhí Martínez-WilhelmApr 21, 2014 @ 14:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1045 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Minimum wage
Post 1

It seems some people are so desperate to work in CH [for whatever reason] they are willing to accept what is offered.

It seems some people are so desperate to work in CH [for whatever reason] they are willing to accept what is offered.

sheila c, Apr 21, 2014 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

In the time of crisis! meanwhile in some countries people are working for the pennies or just enough to buy food. 3500CHF(2900 euros) should be more than a blessing! you can't make that amount even in your dreams in other EU countries in the current situtation! 

sorry to say my comment is little offensive! but i agree with sheila. People coming from other countries are so desperate to work in CH that they are willing to accept any offer and keep dropping the salaries and then they keep complaining about swiss and swiss people! 

In the time of crisis! meanwhile in some countries people are working for the pennies or just enough to buy food. 3500CHF(2900 euros) should be more than a blessing! you can't make that amount even in your dreams in other EU countries in the current situtation! 

sorry to say my comment is little offensive! but i agree with sheila. People coming from other countries are so desperate to work in CH that they are willing to accept any offer and keep dropping the salaries and then they keep complaining about swiss and swiss people! 

brad h, Apr 21, 2014 @ 18:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There are also other reasons why people will accept a low salary and/or a temporary contract.  For example:

having been in work rather than on the dole looks better on your CV;  the hope that your employer will recognize your worth and, at some point, agree to pay you more;

and, if you subsequently move elsewhere, you’ll have  the kudos of having actually worked in Switzerland.

After all, it is not unknown for someone to say “When I worked for the UN in Geneva …” on the strength of a single four-week contract.

R.

There are also other reasons why people will accept a low salary and/or a temporary contract.  For example:

having been in work rather than on the dole looks better on your CV;  the hope that your employer will recognize your worth and, at some point, agree to pay you more;

and, if you subsequently move elsewhere, you’ll have  the kudos of having actually worked in Switzerland.

After all, it is not unknown for someone to say “When I worked for the UN in Geneva …” on the strength of a single four-week contract.

R.

Ritchie, Apr 21, 2014 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes, I know that the situation in other countries is not good. But there are people who come, and they accept not knowing the official minimum salaries. As soon as they know them, they started to request the same, and they get it, when they are good.

Some Mexicans told me that they accepted at the begining all, just to start profesionally in the country. there are many reasons...

I know some sad situations, where the people after have to have 2 jobs to survive. I just wished to make them see that they still have the chance to change, and the next time request at least the minimum.

Yes, I know that the situation in other countries is not good. But there are people who come, and they accept not knowing the official minimum salaries. As soon as they know them, they started to request the same, and they get it, when they are good.

Some Mexicans told me that they accepted at the begining all, just to start profesionally in the country. there are many reasons...

I know some sad situations, where the people after have to have 2 jobs to survive. I just wished to make them see that they still have the chance to change, and the next time request at least the minimum.

Denhí Martínez-Wilhelm, Apr 21, 2014 @ 21:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Entry level architect jobs are not very well paid sadly. It seems she took a job that she is over qualified for. Sad that the company is taking advantage like that. My experience is companies don't usually hire people who are over qualified because they know the second they find something else they will leave. 

But clearly things are not good in Spain so people will jump at the jobs that are being offered. Plus often they just look at the Swiss salaries and think they are great compared to the salaries at home. But they don't take into consideration how expensive it is to live here. 

Entry level architect jobs are not very well paid sadly. It seems she took a job that she is over qualified for. Sad that the company is taking advantage like that. My experience is companies don't usually hire people who are over qualified because they know the second they find something else they will leave. 

But clearly things are not good in Spain so people will jump at the jobs that are being offered. Plus often they just look at the Swiss salaries and think they are great compared to the salaries at home. But they don't take into consideration how expensive it is to live here. 

Mia M, Apr 22, 2014 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1045 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form