Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Moving to Zurich, tips?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Zurich, tips?

Hello guys!

I will be moving to Zurich next month for a year because of my employment. Are there things i need to be concerned about or tips before moving in? I am looking for a place as well so maybe regarding that too?

Any kind of help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

Hello guys!

I will be moving to Zurich next month for a year because of my employment. Are there things i need to be concerned about or tips before moving in? I am looking for a place as well so maybe regarding that too?

Any kind of help will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Nabeel AMay 14, 2017 @ 23:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1294 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Zurich, tips?
Post 1

Try to learn even a little Zürituutsch, the local dialect. It is certainly not easy for foreigners but if you can make the effort, it will produce results. Good luck with finding an apartment. Out of town a little way might be easier and less expensive but that goes for any large city. Some people commute daily from Baden or Winterthur - cheaper.

Try to learn even a little Zürituutsch, the local dialect. It is certainly not easy for foreigners but if you can make the effort, it will produce results. Good luck with finding an apartment. Out of town a little way might be easier and less expensive but that goes for any large city. Some people commute daily from Baden or Winterthur - cheaper.

sheila c, May 15, 2017 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

How are the expats in zurich? I have never lived in a german part so i am a confused about the mentality of locals and expats there. I heard there's a huge english speaking community living in Zurich compared to Geneva?

How are the expats in zurich? I have never lived in a german part so i am a confused about the mentality of locals and expats there. I heard there's a huge english speaking community living in Zurich compared to Geneva?

Nabeel A, May 17, 2017 @ 13:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Correct. Huge English-speaking expat community in Zürich, but also in Winterthur and Baden. Seems you are only going for one year, in which case, it might be beneficial for you to stick to the Expat crowd, but if you are going to be there longer, then an attempt to make local friends and to learn to speak the language would no doubt be appreciated.

Correct. Huge English-speaking expat community in Zürich, but also in Winterthur and Baden. Seems you are only going for one year, in which case, it might be beneficial for you to stick to the Expat crowd, but if you are going to be there longer, then an attempt to make local friends and to learn to speak the language would no doubt be appreciated.

sheila c, May 17, 2017 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yea, i will be working there for a year and then I will probably move out for my graduate studies. 

Yea, i will be working there for a year and then I will probably move out for my graduate studies. 

Nabeel A, May 18, 2017 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

ALso can someone tell me who's living in places like Zug or Winterthur and is working in Zurich, how's the commute? Is it easy? painful? during the rush hours.

ALso can someone tell me who's living in places like Zug or Winterthur and is working in Zurich, how's the commute? Is it easy? painful? during the rush hours.

Nabeel A, May 18, 2017 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

People who are fortunate enough to find employment in Zug, generally live there locally as although rents are high, taxes are the lowest in Switzerland [or were until recently]. The commute from Winterthur takes 20 minutes by fast train [there are many] and the train journey is easy but of course, as Winterthur rents are less expensive than Zürich, thousands of people commute each day.

People who are fortunate enough to find employment in Zug, generally live there locally as although rents are high, taxes are the lowest in Switzerland [or were until recently]. The commute from Winterthur takes 20 minutes by fast train [there are many] and the train journey is easy but of course, as Winterthur rents are less expensive than Zürich, thousands of people commute each day.

sheila c, May 18, 2017 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

May 18, 17 15:25

Have you also tried posting your questions in the Zurich forum?

R.

R.

Ritchie, May 18, 2017 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

R.

May 18, 17 16:09

No. I will though! thanks.

No. I will though! thanks.

Nabeel A, May 18, 2017 @ 16:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1294 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form