Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Oirish - just for no reason...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Oirish - just for no reason...

Paddy thought his new girlfriend might be the one, but after looking through her knickers drawer and finding a nurse's outfit, a French maid’s outfit, and a policewoman’s uniform he finally decided if she can't hold down a job, she's not for him.

Paddy is doing some roofing work for Murphy. He nears the top of the ladder and starts shaking and going dizzy. He calls down to Murphy and says,
"I tink I will ave to go home: I've come all over giddy and feel sick."
Murphy asks, " ‘Ave yer got vertigo?"
Paddy replies, "No, I only live around the corner."

The text you are quoting:

Paddy thought his new girlfriend might be the one, but after looking through her knickers drawer and finding a nurse's outfit, a French maid’s outfit, and a policewoman’s uniform he finally decided if she can't hold down a job, she's not for him.

Paddy is doing some roofing work for Murphy. He nears the top of the ladder and starts shaking and going dizzy. He calls down to Murphy and says,

Jeffery SAug 19, 2014 @ 08:19
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

52 Replies | 1828 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Oirish - just for no reason...
Post 1

Really pretty unfunny and arguably racist too.

Ray C, Aug 21, 2014 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Aug 21, 14 12:58

jeez you must be a happy soul !! Have a cup of tea and lie down !!

jeez you must be a happy soul !! Have a cup of tea and lie down !!

Jeffery S, Aug 21, 2014 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Aug 21, 14 12:58

My OH is Oirish - he loves these!

Lighten up Ray, Irish jokes are unfortunately here to stay.

Imagine if you were an Appenzeller!

My OH is Oirish - he loves these!

Lighten up Ray, Irish jokes are unfortunately here to stay.

Imagine if you were an Appenzeller!

sheila c, Aug 23, 2014 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Ray is quite right, these jokes are racist!

Jeffery, I'm sure you have plenty of jokes that are equally hilarious but wouldn't offend anybody, why not entertain us with some of those?

Just in case you can't decide which are offensive and which are not, remember its best not to make fun of people based on their nationality or race, sexuality, gender etc. or prejeduces based on those things. Today we call these things 'Racism', 'Homophobia', 'Sexism' and so on.

You have to try to remember, it is no longer the 1970s when this sort of thing was considered ok.

Jeffery, I'm sure you have plenty of jokes that are equally hilarious but wouldn't offend anybody, why not entertain us with some of those?

Just in case you can't decide which are offensive and which are not, remember its best not to make fun of people based on their nationality or race, sexuality, gender etc. or prejeduces based on those things. Today we call these things 'Racism', 'Homophobia', 'Sexism' and so on.

You have to try to remember, it is no longer the 1970s when this sort of thing was considered ok.

Jimbo, Aug 23, 2014 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Sorry, 'prejudices'.

Sorry, 'prejudices'.

Jimbo, Aug 23, 2014 @ 18:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Aug 23, 14 18:13

Omg....I have had plenty of Kiwi jokes pointed at me in my time..(you Aussies out there would know about these at least...) and it doesn't worry me at all. People have to lighten up out there and stop being do damned PC about it all. Jimbo you can call it what ever you like... Have a laugh for gods sake....

Omg....I have had plenty of Kiwi jokes pointed at me in my time..(you Aussies out there would know about these at least...) and it doesn't worry me at all. People have to lighten up out there and stop being do damned PC about it all. Jimbo you can call it what ever you like... Have a laugh for gods sake....

Jeffery S, Aug 24, 2014 @ 20:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Casuistik, Aug 24, 2014 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Aug 24, 14 20:54

Jeffrey - you should be hanging your head in shame.

You've just uncovered, for the first time, in human history, something that will upset, offend and totally sicken the entire glocals community.

Not one, but TWO Irishmen without a sense of humour.....Cool

You've just uncovered, for the first time, in human history, something that will upset, offend and totally sicken the entire glocals community.

Carolyn C, Aug 25, 2014 @ 13:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Amen to that!

Amen to that!

sheila c, Aug 25, 2014 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Aug 23, 14 18:13

Jimbo - sorry - but you're being "age-iest".  

You're judging (judgiest?) Jeffery's photo and assuming he too old to know anything other than 70's jokes.

Tongue Out

Jimbo - sorry - but you're being "age-iest".  

You're judging (judgiest?) Jeffery's photo and assuming he too old to know anything other than 70's jokes.

Tongue Out

Carolyn C, Aug 25, 2014 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

God created the first Swiss and asked him what he needs. Mountains, is the Swiss answer. So god created mountains.
"What do you want next?" asked God.
"Cows" said the Swiss.
And God created the swiss cows.
The Swiss started milking the cow and tried it. Then asked God if he wants to try it too, filled a cup and gave it to God.
Then god asked again: "What do you want now?"
"Two franks and eighty centimes..."

God created the first Swiss and asked him what he needs. Mountains, is the Swiss answer. So god created mountains.
"Cows" said the Swiss.
The Swiss started milking the cow and tried it. Then asked God if he wants to try it too, filled a cup and gave it to God.

Casuistik, Aug 25, 2014 @ 14:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

"Cows" said the Swiss.

Aug 25, 14 14:53

Would I be right in guessing this version dates from around the 1980s?

Would I be right in guessing this version dates from around the 1980s?

Ritchie, Aug 25, 2014 @ 16:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Aug 25, 14 13:56

Gulp....what HAVE I done...

Jeffery S, Aug 25, 2014 @ 17:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I think that I have to agree with Ray and Jimbo here.  

If these same jokes were made about Africans, Jews or Arabs - everyone would be screaming racism.  But if they're made about the Irish we're supposed to accept it as friendly "banter" ?

some links:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/australian-journalist-apologizes-for-katie-taylor-article-stereotyping-irish-as-drunks-165392436-237751761.html

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/08/12/aussie-pundit-shockingly-claims-irish-olympic-team-is-a-joke/

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/bbc-apologises-for-broadcasting-anti-irish-joke-in-scotland

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics/other-news/daley-thompson-in-race-row-over-antiirish-joke-on-bbc-26879096.html

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/british-dj-apolgises-making-racist-joke-irish-people

If these same jokes were made about Africans, Jews or Arabs - everyone would be screaming racism.  But if they're made about the Irish we're supposed to accept it as friendly "banter" ?

some links:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/australian-journalist-apologizes-for-katie-taylor-article-stereotyping-irish-as-drunks-165392436-237751761.html

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/08/12/aussie-pundit-shockingly-claims-irish-olympic-team-is-a-joke/

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/bbc-apologises-for-broadcasting-anti-irish-joke-in-scotland

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/olympics/other-news/daley-thompson-in-race-row-over-antiirish-joke-on-bbc-26879096.html

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/british-dj-apolgises-making-racist-joke-irish-people

nmcp, Aug 25, 2014 @ 17:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Casuistik, Aug 25, 2014 @ 17:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Aug 25, 14 17:31

In one sentence:

Opened a can of worms for a humouless bunch of PC activists who are happier to sit at their laptops and bash out their holy-than-thou, self-rightous comments, rather than get off their arses and make a difference to the world.  

I'm a far-too-tall, Scottish, redheaded, feminist, fruitbat with a stupid accent and I don't take offence at any of your jokes. Kiss

In one sentence:

Opened a can of worms for a humouless bunch of PC activists who are happier to sit at their laptops and bash out their holy-than-thou, self-rightous comments, rather than get off their arses and make a difference to the world.  

I'm a far-too-tall, Scottish, redheaded, feminist, fruitbat with a stupid accent and I don't take offence at any of your jokes. Kiss

Carolyn C, Aug 25, 2014 @ 17:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Aug 25, 14 17:31

Or alternatively, change your name to Jeremy Clarkson.

Then you can say what you like, be idolised by the male population around the world and make millions of ££££££££££, based on your ability to be able to insult anyone of any race, ethnicity, sex, size, hair colour ad infinitum, under the guise of talking about cars.

And apparently the Irish love him!

Simples!

Or alternatively, change your name to Jeremy Clarkson.

Then you can say what you like, be idolised by the male population around the world and make millions of ££££££££££, based on your ability to be able to insult anyone of any race, ethnicity, sex, size, hair colour ad infinitum, under the guise of talking about cars.

And apparently the Irish love him!

Simples!

Carolyn C, Aug 25, 2014 @ 17:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

In one sentence:

Aug 25, 14 17:52

Carolyn as they say in Aussie/NZ ....you are my type of sheila  !!!!

Jeffery S, Aug 25, 2014 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Aug 25, 14 18:08

Well, we went to live in Oz [big mistake but that's another story] with a name like mine!

You can imagine the commentsSealed but I didn't take offence - there's absolutely no point.

Well, we went to live in Oz [big mistake but that's another story] with a name like mine!

You can imagine the commentsSealed but I didn't take offence - there's absolutely no point.

sheila c, Aug 25, 2014 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

"Cows" said the Swiss.

Aug 25, 14 14:53

I do not see any Irish members thanking you for this (un)rascist non Irish joke

I do not see any Irish members thanking you for this (un)rascist non Irish joke

Paul E, Aug 25, 2014 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I suppose English, Scots and Irish jokes are banned as well.  Most so-called rascist jokes originate in the country which is being referred to.

But Jeffrey you could reissue the thread but refer to English joke as there are many people called Paddy who are English  

I suppose English, Scots and Irish jokes are banned as well.  Most so-called rascist jokes originate in the country which is being referred to.

But Jeffrey you could reissue the thread but refer to English joke as there are many people called Paddy who are English  

Paul E, Aug 25, 2014 @ 18:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

some links:

Aug 25, 14 17:23

Give us a joke about the English to brighten up are day.  Or is it that we are so culturally backward that there is absolutely nothing funny about us

Give us a joke about the English to brighten up are day.  Or is it that we are so culturally backward that there is absolutely nothing funny about us

Paul E, Aug 25, 2014 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Aug 25, 14 18:37

Here you go Paul...Laughing

Q: What do you call a great English lover in England?

A: An immigrant.

Rich, Aug 25, 2014 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Now is that anti english racism or simply racism againt the rest of the world (including Kiwis and Irish)?

Now is that anti english racism or simply racism againt the rest of the world (including Kiwis and Irish)?

Paul E, Aug 25, 2014 @ 19:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Aug 25, 14 19:02

Racism again!

Racism again!

Ritchie, Aug 25, 2014 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Aug 25, 14 19:25

(Sigh) I just don't know anymore Paul. My dad's Irish and my mum was Irish-Italian and I was born and raised in England so from time to time I get a bit ethnically confused.

So, if you'll excuse me I'm going to have some poitín-laden tiramisù with a cup of tea. Laughing

(Sigh) I just don't know anymore Paul. My dad's Irish and my mum was Irish-Italian and I was born and raised in England so from time to time I get a bit ethnically confused.

So, if you'll excuse me I'm going to have some poitín-laden tiramisù with a cup of tea. Laughing

Rich, Aug 25, 2014 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

This probably (in Nir's words - "good but a little too long")

Yes, It’s a long post – but I hope it shows that laughter is universal, it’s not “racist, homophobic, sexist, religious-ist”, or anything else you want to label humour. 

Laughter is a barrier-break, a universal language that breaks down bridges, where we can all share a common goal of three “L’s” – to laugh, love, and live in peace.

So let’s forget our differences and Laugh, Love and Live in peace

A joke about the English – from the Welsh, Scots & Irish

Two Englishmen, two Scotsmen, two Welshmen, and two Irishmen were stranded on a desert island. It wasn’t long before the Scotsmen started a Caledonian Club (strong man festival) and were playing the bagpipes, tossing the caber and eating haggis. The two Welshmen started an Eisteddford (singing festival) and were soon competing against each other in a song and dance. The two Irishmen started a Ceilidh (dancing festival) and downed a few pints of Guinness.

The two Englishmen went to opposite ends of the island and would not speak to each other because they had never been properly introduced.

A joke about the Chinese – from the Irish

Paddy the Chink goes for an interview for a job at Belfast shipyard, he gets it and is told he  will be working in the stores with Murphy and is in charge of supplies. Can you handle that he is asked? “sure” Paddy the Chink replies, I can do supplies. 10 minutes later Maguire goes to the stores to get some nails and out of one of the empty boxes in the corner jumps Paddy the Chink waving his arms and shouting..”supplies, supplies, supplies”..

A joke about Aussies – from the English:

If it takes an IQ of 60 to tie shoelaces, why do so many Australians wear thongs?

A joke about the Aussies – from the Irish:

Why wasn't Jesus born in Sydney? They couldnt find three wise men and a virgin.

A joke about the Kiwis – from the Aussies

New Zealanders love their rowing. Primarily because they sit down and go backwards.

A SEXIST!!!!! Yay!!!!! Joke:

A man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said to her, "Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."   His wife got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all of his beer.

A joke about the Indian’s – from the Pakistanis

A judge asked a little girl: Now that your parents are getting divorced do you want to live with your mummy? -

Girl: No, my mummy beats me

Judge: I guess you want to live with your daddy.

Girl: No, my daddy beats me too.

Judge: Well then, who do you want to live with?

Girl: I want to live with the Indian cricket team, I firmly believe they cannot beat anybody!

A joke about the rest of the world – from India

A tiny racing car was developed by American scientists.  The Americans then sent the car over to Japan to see what the Japanese could do to better the car.  The Japanese added sport wheels and an aero kit to the car, then they sent it to the UK.  The British scientists, to better the car, added a sound system and a GPS.  Then they sent it over the Chinese, who added a lowered suspension to the tiny car.  The Chinese then sent it over to India.  The Indian scientists looked at the tiny car, appreciated all the modification the other countries had made, turned it over and stamped a sign on it – “MADE IN INDIA”.

A joke about the “Newfies” – from the Nova Scotians (I have to add this, cos all my cousins are "Newfies"!!)

Q: Did you hear about the war between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia?

A: The Newfies were lobbing hand grenades; the Nova Scotians were pulling out the pins and throwing them back. 

A joke about the Americans – from the Canadians:

Q: What's the difference between an American and a Canadian?

A: A Canadian not only has a sense of humour but can also spell it. 

And a joke about the Canadians – from the Americans:

Q: How do you know Adam was a Canadian? A: Who else could stand beside a naked woman and be tempted by a fruit? 

An International Joke about Everyone (but especially the Americans!):

The United Nations initiated a poll with the request, "Please tell us your honest opinion about the lack of food in the rest of the world." The poll was a total failure. The Russians did not understand "Please". The Italians did not know the word "honest". The Chinese did not know what an "opinion" was. The Europeans did not know "lack", while the Africans did not know "food". Finally, the Americans didn't know anything about the "rest of the world".

An International Joke about  Barack Obama:

A muslim, a socialist, and a communist walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hello Mr. President". 

A joke from the Palestinians about Isreal:

On the sixth day God turned to the angel Gabriel and said, "Today I am going to create a land called Israel. It will be a land of outstanding natural beauty. It will have rolling hills and mountains full of goats and eagles, a beautiful, sparkling, clear ocean full of sea life and high cliffs overlooking white sandy beaches." God continued, "And I shall make the land rich in oil to allow the inhabitants to prosper. I shall call these inhabitants ‘Jews’ and they shall be known as the most friendly people on the earth." "But," asked Gabriel, "Don't you think you’re being too generous to these Jews?" "Not really," replied God, "just wait and see the neighbours I am going to give them." 

A joke from (London) Jews to Gentiles:

Ruth and Golda were walking along Hendon High Street. Ruth says, "My son Irving is getting married. He tells me he is engaged to a wonderful girl, but... he thinks she may have a disease called herpes. Golda says, "Do you have any idea what this herpes is, and can he catch it?" Ruth replies, "No, but I am just so thrilled to hear about Irving's engagement - it's time he settled down. As far as the herpes goes...who knows?" "Well," says Golda, "I have a very good medical dictionary at home. I'll look it up and call you." So Golda goes home, looks it up, and calls Ruth. "Ruth, I found it. Not to worry. It says herpes is a disease of the gentiles." 

A Jewish Joke about Muslims:

In Jerusalem, a man is going to jump off the building. Up rushes good Jewish cop to talk him down. Cop yells up to the man "Don't jump! Think of your father" Man replies "Haven't got a father; I'm going to jump." The cop goes through a list of relatives, mother, brothers, sister, etc. Each time man says "haven't got one; going to jump." Desperate the cop yells up "Don't jump! Think of your Rabbi" Man replies "Who is that?" Cop yells "Jump, Muslim! You're blocking traffic!" 

And if you’re wondering why there are no jokes about Muslims taking the piss out of the rest of the world – there are none.  But any contributions from our Muslim community would be more than welcome. Shalom!!

This probably (in Nir's words - "good but a little too long")

Yes, It’s a long post – but I hope it shows that laughter is universal, it’s not “racist, homophobic, sexist, religious-ist”, or anything else you want to label humour. 

Laughter is a barrier-break, a universal language that breaks down bridges, where we can all share a common goal of three “L’s” – to laugh, love, and live in peace.

So let’s forget our differences and Laugh, Love and Live in peace

A joke about the English – from the Welsh, Scots & Irish

Two Englishmen, two Scotsmen, two Welshmen, and two Irishmen were stranded on a desert island. It wasn’t long before the Scotsmen started a Caledonian Club (strong man festival) and were playing the bagpipes, tossing the caber and eating haggis. The two Welshmen started an Eisteddford (singing festival) and were soon competing against each other in a song and dance. The two Irishmen started a Ceilidh (dancing festival) and downed a few pints of Guinness.

The two Englishmen went to opposite ends of the island and would not speak to each other because they had never been properly introduced.

A joke about the Chinese – from the Irish

Paddy the Chink goes for an interview for a job at Belfast shipyard, he gets it and is told he  will be working in the stores with Murphy and is in charge of supplies. Can you handle that he is asked? “sure” Paddy the Chink replies, I can do supplies. 10 minutes later Maguire goes to the stores to get some nails and out of one of the empty boxes in the corner jumps Paddy the Chink waving his arms and shouting..”supplies, supplies, supplies”..

A joke about Aussies – from the English:

If it takes an IQ of 60 to tie shoelaces, why do so many Australians wear thongs?

A joke about the Aussies – from the Irish:

Why wasn't Jesus born in Sydney? They couldnt find three wise men and a virgin.

A joke about the Kiwis – from the Aussies

New Zealanders love their rowing. Primarily because they sit down and go backwards.

A SEXIST!!!!! Yay!!!!! Joke:

A man and his wife were sitting in the living room and he said to her, "Just so you know, I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug."   His wife got up, unplugged the TV and threw out all of his beer.

A joke about the Indian’s – from the Pakistanis

A judge asked a little girl: Now that your parents are getting divorced do you want to live with your mummy? -

Girl: No, my mummy beats me

Judge: I guess you want to live with your daddy.

Girl: No, my daddy beats me too.

Judge: Well then, who do you want to live with?

Girl: I want to live with the Indian cricket team, I firmly believe they cannot beat anybody!

A joke about the rest of the world – from India

A tiny racing car was developed by American scientists.  The Americans then sent the car over to Japan to see what the Japanese could do to better the car.  The Japanese added sport wheels and an aero kit to the car, then they sent it to the UK.  The British scientists, to better the car, added a sound system and a GPS.  Then they sent it over the Chinese, who added a lowered suspension to the tiny car.  The Chinese then sent it over to India.  The Indian scientists looked at the tiny car, appreciated all the modification the other countries had made, turned it over and stamped a sign on it – “MADE IN INDIA”.

A joke about the “Newfies” – from the Nova Scotians (I have to add this, cos all my cousins are "Newfies"!!)

Q: Did you hear about the war between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia?

A: The Newfies were lobbing hand grenades; the Nova Scotians were pulling out the pins and throwing them back. 

A joke about the Americans – from the Canadians:

Q: What's the difference between an American and a Canadian?

A: A Canadian not only has a sense of humour but can also spell it. 

And a joke about the Canadians – from the Americans:

Q: How do you know Adam was a Canadian? A: Who else could stand beside a naked woman and be tempted by a fruit? 

An International Joke about Everyone (but especially the Americans!):

The United Nations initiated a poll with the request, "Please tell us your honest opinion about the lack of food in the rest of the world." The poll was a total failure. The Russians did not understand "Please". The Italians did not know the word "honest". The Chinese did not know what an "opinion" was. The Europeans did not know "lack", while the Africans did not know "food". Finally, the Americans didn't know anything about the "rest of the world".

An International Joke about  Barack Obama:

A muslim, a socialist, and a communist walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hello Mr. President". 

A joke from the Palestinians about Isreal:

On the sixth day God turned to the angel Gabriel and said, "Today I am going to create a land called Israel. It will be a land of outstanding natural beauty. It will have rolling hills and mountains full of goats and eagles, a beautiful, sparkling, clear ocean full of sea life and high cliffs overlooking white sandy beaches." God continued, "And I shall make the land rich in oil to allow the inhabitants to prosper. I shall call these inhabitants ‘Jews’ and they shall be known as the most friendly people on the earth." "But," asked Gabriel, "Don't you think you’re being too generous to these Jews?" "Not really," replied God, "just wait and see the neighbours I am going to give them." 

A joke from (London) Jews to Gentiles:

Ruth and Golda were walking along Hendon High Street. Ruth says, "My son Irving is getting married. He tells me he is engaged to a wonderful girl, but... he thinks she may have a disease called herpes. Golda says, "Do you have any idea what this herpes is, and can he catch it?" Ruth replies, "No, but I am just so thrilled to hear about Irving's engagement - it's time he settled down. As far as the herpes goes...who knows?" "Well," says Golda, "I have a very good medical dictionary at home. I'll look it up and call you." So Golda goes home, looks it up, and calls Ruth. "Ruth, I found it. Not to worry. It says herpes is a disease of the gentiles." 

A Jewish Joke about Muslims:

In Jerusalem, a man is going to jump off the building. Up rushes good Jewish cop to talk him down. Cop yells up to the man "Don't jump! Think of your father" Man replies "Haven't got a father; I'm going to jump." The cop goes through a list of relatives, mother, brothers, sister, etc. Each time man says "haven't got one; going to jump." Desperate the cop yells up "Don't jump! Think of your Rabbi" Man replies "Who is that?" Cop yells "Jump, Muslim! You're blocking traffic!" 

And if you’re wondering why there are no jokes about Muslims taking the piss out of the rest of the world – there are none.  But any contributions from our Muslim community would be more than welcome. Shalom!!

Carolyn C, Aug 25, 2014 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

I'm not bothered by the racist jokes, but I'm seriously offended by your incorrect use of a possessive apostrophe.  Because I'm British.

I'm not bothered by the racist jokes, but I'm seriously offended by your incorrect use of a possessive apostrophe.  Because I'm British.

Andy C, Aug 25, 2014 @ 23:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Carolyn..what can I say !! You are now the queen ( king ??) of taking the piss.......superb.

Carolyn..what can I say !! You are now the queen ( king ??) of taking the piss.......superb.

Jeffery S, Aug 26, 2014 @ 07:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

It drives me nuts how so many people no longer really understand how to use the word "racist" .  We (white privilege perhaps?) have gotten so colour blind that we don't know how to use the word!  :(

Racism is a type of prejudice, but these jokes, though perhaps in poor taste and which ARE prejudicial, are not also racist....  Racism and prejudice are not exact synonyms. 

Off my soapbox...

It drives me nuts how so many people no longer really understand how to use the word "racist" .  We (white privilege perhaps?) have gotten so colour blind that we don't know how to use the word!  :(

Racism is a type of prejudice, but these jokes, though perhaps in poor taste and which ARE prejudicial, are not also racist....  Racism and prejudice are not exact synonyms. 

Off my soapbox...

Michelle W, Aug 26, 2014 @ 08:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Analysis of commentrs so far:

- 4 replies by Irish people who really don't like these "jokes"

- 17 replies by UK people who can't see why they're not funny

- 6 by New Zealander

- 4 Others (3 Swiss, 1 Canada)

So there 23 replies by people from countries flying the British flag (or a variation of it) all telling us that we have no sense of humour because we have called them out on their prejudices.  I wonder if maybe these prejudices are so innate that they can't even see them?

”People don’t always remember what you say or even what you do, but they always remember how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou. 

- 6 by New Zealander

So there 23 replies by people from countries flying the British flag (or a variation of it) all telling us that we have no sense of humour because we have called them out on their prejudices.  I wonder if maybe these prejudices are so innate that they can't even see them?

”People don’t always remember what you say or even what you do, but they always remember how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou. 

nmcp, Aug 26, 2014 @ 11:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

- 6 by New Zealander

Aug 26, 14 11:16

Perhaps we just want to have a bloody laugh !!!!!!

Perhaps we just want to have a bloody laugh !!!!!!

Jeffery S, Aug 26, 2014 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Is this meant to be a joke because, if so, I have missed the punchline?  A joke about Irish, English also linked often to mad dogs, is meant to be funny, not offensive.  If offense is intended, it will not be expressed as joke. 

I will adit that being English I do not like the term 'rostbif' but that is my being pathetic, preferring WASP or arrogant b...d. I do not get upset about any of this and do not retaliate with frog or similar because that could be taken as being offensive if not incorporated into a joke or something similar.

There was no offence meant in the original joke but unfortunately there are always people around who twist meanings and misinterpret on purpose.  Fortunately they are a minority (so far only 4)

Is this meant to be a joke because, if so, I have missed the punchline?  A joke about Irish, English also linked often to mad dogs, is meant to be funny, not offensive.  If offense is intended, it will not be expressed as joke. 

I will adit that being English I do not like the term 'rostbif' but that is my being pathetic, preferring WASP or arrogant b...d. I do not get upset about any of this and do not retaliate with frog or similar because that could be taken as being offensive if not incorporated into a joke or something similar.

There was no offence meant in the original joke but unfortunately there are always people around who twist meanings and misinterpret on purpose.  Fortunately they are a minority (so far only 4)

Paul E, Aug 26, 2014 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Aug 26, 14 11:36

Dear Arrogant B'Stard

I completely agree.

Yours

Ginge the Jock 

Dear Arrogant B'Stard

I completely agree.

Yours

Ginge the Jock 

Carolyn C, Aug 26, 2014 @ 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

- 6 by New Zealander

Aug 26, 14 11:16

Brilliant analysis.  Thank you.

Brilliant analysis.  Thank you.

Nefertiti, Aug 26, 2014 @ 14:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Aug 19, 14 08:19

My twopence worth:

The only thing that irks me about the jokes is the use of the name 'Paddy'. This has been used in a negative sense towards Irish for a long time, particularly by racist British, and still today resonates the racist element. I have even had this thrown at me a few times by obnoxious folks in UK and most recently on a holiday resort in Bulgaria. 'Paddy' tp spme Irish if used in certain context is equal to the same feeling a black person would feel if called the N word. 

Change the content to something like this and I see no issue with it:

A Dublin man thought his new girlfriend might be the one, but after looking through her knickers drawer and finding a nurse's outfit, a French maid’s outfit, and a policewoman’s uniform he finally decided if she can't hold down a job, she's not for him.

A Kerry man is doing some roofing work for Murphy. He nears the top of the ladder and starts shaking and going dizzy. He calls down to Murphy and says, 

Then I do find the jokes funny. 

The 'Oirish' love a laugh and love a laugh at ourselves more than most, but there are some wounds that can be poked so watch out, especially if throwing these jokes out in an Irish pub after an England Ireland game....

My twopence worth:

The only thing that irks me about the jokes is the use of the name 'Paddy'. This has been used in a negative sense towards Irish for a long time, particularly by racist British, and still today resonates the racist element. I have even had this thrown at me a few times by obnoxious folks in UK and most recently on a holiday resort in Bulgaria. 'Paddy' tp spme Irish if used in certain context is equal to the same feeling a black person would feel if called the N word. 

Change the content to something like this and I see no issue with it:

A Dublin man thought his new girlfriend might be the one, but after looking through her knickers drawer and finding a nurse's outfit, a French maid’s outfit, and a policewoman’s uniform he finally decided if she can't hold down a job, she's not for him.

A Kerry man is doing some roofing work for Murphy. He nears the top of the ladder and starts shaking and going dizzy. He calls down to Murphy and says, 

Then I do find the jokes funny. 

The 'Oirish' love a laugh and love a laugh at ourselves more than most, but there are some wounds that can be poked so watch out, especially if throwing these jokes out in an Irish pub after an England Ireland game....

Kevin M, Aug 26, 2014 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Oh dear – I assume you're taking the pee and if not, and this is the Irish “loving to have a laugh at themselves”, I fear for the jollity of mankind.

Paddy is an affectionate nickname for Patrick – as in St Patrick – patron saint of Ireland.  It’s internationally known as a term of endearment around the world – hence the adoption of “Paddy’s Day” on 17th March. 

Every Irish person I know (and having lived there for 4 years, I know a few) refers to it as “Paddy’s Day”.

Whereas to rename your jokes with “A Dublin man” could be seen as reverse snobbery to the better-heeled gentlemen of the capital and referring to “A Kerry man” is an obvious snub to the notoriously “sloightly tick” people of the County of Kerry.

Both far more derogatory than the affectionately phrased “Paddy”.

Can't help thinking some of the men on this thread need to grow a pair and stop acting like a bunch of snotty-nosed schoolgirls.....

Oh dear – I assume you're taking the pee and if not, and this is the Irish “loving to have a laugh at themselves”, I fear for the jollity of mankind.

Paddy is an affectionate nickname for Patrick – as in St Patrick – patron saint of Ireland.  It’s internationally known as a term of endearment around the world – hence the adoption of “Paddy’s Day” on 17th March. 

Every Irish person I know (and having lived there for 4 years, I know a few) refers to it as “Paddy’s Day”.

Whereas to rename your jokes with “A Dublin man” could be seen as reverse snobbery to the better-heeled gentlemen of the capital and referring to “A Kerry man” is an obvious snub to the notoriously “sloightly tick” people of the County of Kerry.

Can't help thinking some of the men on this thread need to grow a pair and stop acting like a bunch of snotty-nosed schoolgirls.....

Carolyn C, Aug 27, 2014 @ 09:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Aug 27, 14 09:29

Way to go girl !!!!!

Way to go girl !!!!!

Jeffery S, Aug 27, 2014 @ 09:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

I like the way this thread has developed from a simple harmless joke into political correctness.  Whether prehistoric man was forced to make jokes about apes is not known but over vast areas of the known world jokes have always been made against other nationalities, sometimes spiteful, sometimes patronising but in general, for fun on both sides.  These usually are between longtime enemies (eg England/France) neighbours with close ties (I have always counted Ireland in this group but have never received the same vibes in return), countries of which one is jealous etc., etc.

Some nationlities (up until now I had not counted the Irish in that group) have no sense of humour, get upset and start a war.  I think I prefer jokes to wars although both bring different nationalities together albeit not for the same reasons

I now await complaints that the above is not politically correct, devisive, naive, pathetic or whatever.

Maybe the time will come when censorship reappears and jokes have to be vetted before being publicised.  I hope you have all noticed that I have not dared post a joke - not because I am scared of the reaction.  I am just a patheirc teller of jokes (probably means I am a warmonger)

Or maybe somebody will revert with another joke???

I like the way this thread has developed from a simple harmless joke into political correctness.  Whether prehistoric man was forced to make jokes about apes is not known but over vast areas of the known world jokes have always been made against other nationalities, sometimes spiteful, sometimes patronising but in general, for fun on both sides.  These usually are between longtime enemies (eg England/France) neighbours with close ties (I have always counted Ireland in this group but have never received the same vibes in return), countries of which one is jealous etc., etc.

Some nationlities (up until now I had not counted the Irish in that group) have no sense of humour, get upset and start a war.  I think I prefer jokes to wars although both bring different nationalities together albeit not for the same reasons

I now await complaints that the above is not politically correct, devisive, naive, pathetic or whatever.

Maybe the time will come when censorship reappears and jokes have to be vetted before being publicised.  I hope you have all noticed that I have not dared post a joke - not because I am scared of the reaction.  I am just a patheirc teller of jokes (probably means I am a warmonger)

Paul E, Aug 27, 2014 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Aug 27, 14 10:11

Great response Paul....I will revert with another joke if you don't mind...(others prob will !!)

An Emergency Call Centre worker in London has been dismissed from her job, much to the dismay of colleagues who are reportedly unhappy with her treatment.

It seems a male caller dialed 999 from a mobile phone stating, "I am depressed and lying here on a railway track. I am waiting for the train to come so I can finally meet Allah."

Apparently "remain calm and stay on the line" was not considered to be an appropriate or correct response...

Great response Paul....I will revert with another joke if you don't mind...(others prob will !!)

An Emergency Call Centre worker in London has been dismissed from her job, much to the dismay of colleagues who are reportedly unhappy with her treatment.

It seems a male caller dialed 999 from a mobile phone stating, "I am depressed and lying here on a railway track. I am waiting for the train to come so I can finally meet Allah."

Apparently "remain calm and stay on the line" was not considered to be an appropriate or correct response...

Jeffery S, Aug 27, 2014 @ 10:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

It seems like Glocals' sweet cosmopolitan harmony has been put in jeopaddy...

It seems like Glocals' sweet cosmopolitan harmony has been put in jeopaddy...

Casuistik, Aug 27, 2014 @ 10:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Aug 27, 14 09:29

So by association you know more about my culture than I do, thats the biggest laugh Ive had so far... 

I do apologize for trying to explain to the mighty empire the plight of the poor patatoe picking paddy from his persepective and why his kin percieved offense in a post, I'll just crack open another can of stout and return to my stereotype. 

So by association you know more about my culture than I do, thats the biggest laugh Ive had so far... 

I do apologize for trying to explain to the mighty empire the plight of the poor patatoe picking paddy from his persepective and why his kin percieved offense in a post, I'll just crack open another can of stout and return to my stereotype. 

Kevin M, Aug 27, 2014 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

Just for the record, the first time I heard Jeffrey’s somewhat banal witticism, it was told in a Home Counties accent by a Sloane Ranger who wasn’t exactly proficient in reproducing what she thought was a London cockney accent.

Which, for no logical reason, reminds me of another ancient chestnut:

A chap is in hospital and in great pain.  Slowly, he turns to the bloke in the next bed and says:

“ ’ave I come in ’ere to die?”

“No”, says the other, “You was brought in yesterdie”.

I now retreat from what will surely be a flurry of brickbats from all the Londoners out there.

Mea culpa, R.

Just for the record, the first time I heard Jeffrey’s somewhat banal witticism, it was told in a Home Counties accent by a Sloane Ranger who wasn’t exactly proficient in reproducing what she thought was a London cockney accent.

Which, for no logical reason, reminds me of another ancient chestnut:

A chap is in hospital and in great pain.  Slowly, he turns to the bloke in the next bed and says:

“ ’ave I come in ’ere to die?”

“No”, says the other, “You was brought in yesterdie”.

I now retreat from what will surely be a flurry of brickbats from all the Londoners out there.

Mea culpa, R.

Ritchie, Aug 27, 2014 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

What do you call an Englishman in the knockout stage of the world cup?

A referee

What do you call an Englishman in the knockout stage of the world cup?

A referee

G___, Aug 28, 2014 @ 08:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

The reason Jeffery’s jokes are offensive is because they rely on the prejudiced stereotype that Irish people are stupid.  This view was very prevalent amongst many people in Britain until quite recently, hopefully its mostly in the past now. There were many popular comedians in the 70s and even in to the 80s who made their living in Britain telling jokes like this. (I spent a lot of my childhood watching them on tv, unfortunately!)  It wasn’t just anti-Irish stuff obviously but also jokes about black people, Pakistani people etc. as well as sexist and homophobic stuff.  

Their material would be considered tremendously offensive now but luckily we have mostly moved on.  For example, Jim Davidson, a very popular and offensive comedian from that era and who still, unbelievably, has a career, wouldn’t dream of telling those kinds of jokes now.  Obvoiusly Jeffry’s jokes were very mild but they do still rely on harmful stereotypes.

I wonder if being from New Zealand, Jeffery wasn’t aware of this? It’s clear that he wasn’t trying to offend but I do think that it is worth bearing in mind that these old-fashioned prejudices, even when used in jokes, are harmful. Why can’t we just avoid them altogether?  

Also, I would like to respond to the people who’s argument in defence of J’s jokes is along the lines of ‘I’m not offended by X, Y or Z, so why should you be offended by this?’ by saying that if somebody says they are offended by something, or in this case four people (who happen to be of the nationality being made fun of) then it is offensive!  It doesn’t matter if you don’t find something offensive, if other people do then maybe you should stop and think. The world is full of people who don’t have a problem with all sorts of discrimination but that doesn’t make it alright.

Final point… it has to be said, we are not playing on an even field here. To say that a French person using the term ‘Rosbef’ for the English is equivalent to an English person calling an Irish person ‘Paddy’ is simply false. (does anybody needs this explained to them in more detail?).

This is not a tirade against Jeffery by the way, who I know is a very nice guy, but I (obviously) believe strongly that we need to be aware of these kinds of unpleasant sentiments, even when they appear in the most everyday places.

Smile

The reason Jeffery’s jokes are offensive is because they rely on the prejudiced stereotype that Irish people are stupid.  This view was very prevalent amongst many people in Britain until quite recently, hopefully its mostly in the past now. There were many popular comedians in the 70s and even in to the 80s who made their living in Britain telling jokes like this. (I spent a lot of my childhood watching them on tv, unfortunately!)  It wasn’t just anti-Irish stuff obviously but also jokes about black people, Pakistani people etc. as well as sexist and homophobic stuff.  

Their material would be considered tremendously offensive now but luckily we have mostly moved on.  For example, Jim Davidson, a very popular and offensive comedian from that era and who still, unbelievably, has a career, wouldn’t dream of telling those kinds of jokes now.  Obvoiusly Jeffry’s jokes were very mild but they do still rely on harmful stereotypes.

I wonder if being from New Zealand, Jeffery wasn’t aware of this? It’s clear that he wasn’t trying to offend but I do think that it is worth bearing in mind that these old-fashioned prejudices, even when used in jokes, are harmful. Why can’t we just avoid them altogether?  

Also, I would like to respond to the people who’s argument in defence of J’s jokes is along the lines of ‘I’m not offended by X, Y or Z, so why should you be offended by this?’ by saying that if somebody says they are offended by something, or in this case four people (who happen to be of the nationality being made fun of) then it is offensive!  It doesn’t matter if you don’t find something offensive, if other people do then maybe you should stop and think. The world is full of people who don’t have a problem with all sorts of discrimination but that doesn’t make it alright.

Final point… it has to be said, we are not playing on an even field here. To say that a French person using the term ‘Rosbef’ for the English is equivalent to an English person calling an Irish person ‘Paddy’ is simply false. (does anybody needs this explained to them in more detail?).

This is not a tirade against Jeffery by the way, who I know is a very nice guy, but I (obviously) believe strongly that we need to be aware of these kinds of unpleasant sentiments, even when they appear in the most everyday places.

Smile

Jimbo, Aug 29, 2014 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

Bloody 'ell, all because of a couple of irish jokes!

Bloody 'ell, all because of a couple of irish jokes!

royle, Aug 29, 2014 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Do not worry, dinasaurs like me will soon die out.  remember I was a kid when we collected golliwogs and little black Sambo was a children's book.  My grandmothers cat was called 'Nigger' but only because it was black.  All that has changed is the terminology.   Sadly raciial hatred, jingoism, supremacy of race and gender still exists.  White (or should I say non pigmented) racists no longer look down on blacks; they look down onafrican Americans and the sad thing is that this is accepted because the terminology is politically correct. 

IU shall continue tolaugh at jokes against whatever race including my own if they are funny.  And I hope that I am and will remain not racist or nationalistic but that is very hard to achieve and anyone who thinks otherwise does not live on this planet   

Do not worry, dinasaurs like me will soon die out.  remember I was a kid when we collected golliwogs and little black Sambo was a children's book.  My grandmothers cat was called 'Nigger' but only because it was black.  All that has changed is the terminology.   Sadly raciial hatred, jingoism, supremacy of race and gender still exists.  White (or should I say non pigmented) racists no longer look down on blacks; they look down onafrican Americans and the sad thing is that this is accepted because the terminology is politically correct. 

IU shall continue tolaugh at jokes against whatever race including my own if they are funny.  And I hope that I am and will remain not racist or nationalistic but that is very hard to achieve and anyone who thinks otherwise does not live on this planet   

Paul E, Aug 29, 2014 @ 13:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Jimbo – stereotyping, whether “prejudiced” or not, is the foundation of ALL humour worldwide.

Full Stop.

When incongruity comes into play, however, humour transcends from a potential insult to a joke. 

For example (and I use an Irish example as that it what SO offended the 4 of you): 

O’Riley was on trial for armed robbery.  The Judge comes out and announces him “Not Guilty” – “Grand!!”  says O’Riley “does that mean I get to keep the money?”.

Someone with no sense of humour or someone Irish may not find that funny based on its “prejudicial stereotyping”. 

However other people recognise the incongruity of it and think “actually – who’s the stupid one here” and laugh (unless you’re a Lawyer…..). 

If you don’t want humour based on prejudiced stereotyping, then I guess you’d ban the following prejudiced, stereotypical programmes who (by your definition) insult everyone.  N.B. None ofthem were written in the darkest days of 70’s “humour”.  So it appears (fortunately for the human race) that we haven’t “moved on” at all.

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous, The Office, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Father Ted (funny, that…..), Men Behaving Badly, The Royle Family, Alan Partridge, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Googlebox to name but a few – and ANYTHING written by Ben Elton or Steve Googan?

So next time you find yourself laughing about something (I presume it will happen before the next millennium…..) pause and ask yourself what it is that you’re really laughing at.

You may be surprised.

Jimbo – stereotyping, whether “prejudiced” or not, is the foundation of ALL humour worldwide.

Full Stop.

When incongruity comes into play, however, humour transcends from a potential insult to a joke. 

For example (and I use an Irish example as that it what SO offended the 4 of you): 

O’Riley was on trial for armed robbery.  The Judge comes out and announces him “Not Guilty” – “Grand!!”  says O’Riley “does that mean I get to keep the money?”.

Someone with no sense of humour or someone Irish may not find that funny based on its “prejudicial stereotyping”. 

However other people recognise the incongruity of it and think “actually – who’s the stupid one here” and laugh (unless you’re a Lawyer…..). 

If you don’t want humour based on prejudiced stereotyping, then I guess you’d ban the following prejudiced, stereotypical programmes who (by your definition) insult everyone.  N.B. None ofthem were written in the darkest days of 70’s “humour”.  So it appears (fortunately for the human race) that we haven’t “moved on” at all.

Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous, The Office, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Father Ted (funny, that…..), Men Behaving Badly, The Royle Family, Alan Partridge, Gimme Gimme Gimme, Googlebox to name but a few – and ANYTHING written by Ben Elton or Steve Googan?

So next time you find yourself laughing about something (I presume it will happen before the next millennium…..) pause and ask yourself what it is that you’re really laughing at.

You may be surprised.

Carolyn C, Aug 29, 2014 @ 14:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

Smile

Aug 29, 14 10:32

I am offended by the premise that because I came from NZ I wouldn't be aware.....I know we are fair way down towards the bottom of the earth...but not that far !!!!

I am offended by the premise that because I came from NZ I wouldn't be aware.....I know we are fair way down towards the bottom of the earth...but not that far !!!!

Jeffery S, Aug 29, 2014 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

Sorry Jeffery!! the irony!

That must be my racial stereotypiing in action.

Sealed

Sorry Jeffery!! the irony!

That must be my racial stereotypiing in action.

Sealed

Jimbo, Aug 29, 2014 @ 15:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

Embarassed

Embarassed