Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Proof of non-married status UK

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Proof of non-married status UK

Hi,

just wondering of anyone has any suggestions on the following:

I am trying to arrange a pay out of 3rd pillar pension, having left switzerland. However, I have been told (by Credit Suisse) that I am reqired to provide a government issued document from the UI that states I am not married.

To my knowledge the UK does not provide this. Does anyone know if I am correct? Does anyone know of a way round this?

Thanks

Kathy

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I am trying to arrange a pay out of 3rd pillar pension, having left switzerland. However, I have been told (by Credit Suisse) that I am reqired to provide a government issued document from the UI that states I am not married.

To my knowledge the UK does not provide this. Does anyone know if I am correct? Does anyone know of a way round this?

Thanks

Kathy

kathylApr 10, 2018 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 2594 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Proof of non-married status UK
Post 1

When getting married in France we were asked for the same document. The British consulate in Paris provided us with a document stating that there is no official register of this kind in the UK, and this was accepted. So I would try the consulate first.

When getting married in France we were asked for the same document. The British consulate in Paris provided us with a document stating that there is no official register of this kind in the UK, and this was accepted. So I would try the consulate first.

adam_jeff, Apr 10, 2018 @ 17:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Just as a word to the wise, the UK Consulate in Geneva was closed a few years back so if you are resident in CH you will need to phone the Consulate in Bern – and  I think they are only open for business in the morning.

Best wishes,

R.

Just as a word to the wise, the UK Consulate in Geneva was closed a few years back so if you are resident in CH you will need to phone the Consulate in Bern – and  I think they are only open for business in the morning.

Best wishes,

R.

Ritchie, Apr 10, 2018 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi,

Thanks

Kathy

Apr 10, 18 13:18

One word.  Well two actually!

Seriously.  Switzerland?

A couple more:

WTF are you LIKE, Credit Suisse!  Why should you have to prove your marital status to claim money back from an account that you've paid into.  I've just set up my 3rd pillar with CS - may change my mind!!

Good Luck, Kathy.  Keep us posted!

Seriously.  Switzerland?

A couple more:

WTF are you LIKE, Credit Suisse!  Why should you have to prove your marital status to claim money back from an account that you've paid into.  I've just set up my 3rd pillar with CS - may change my mind!!

Carolyn C, Apr 10, 2018 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Seriously.  Switzerland?

A couple more:

Apr 10, 18 20:58

I was requested the same document by Corner Bank to simply transfer one of my 3rd pillars to a another bank. So this is probably something that most banks ask for.

I guess the reason is that if you are married in the "regime de participation aux acquets", the contributions one makes to the 3rd pillar after marriage must be shared between the spouses. The following link mentions this for the case of divorce, but it is probably the same for other cases in which the 3rd pillar is transferred or cashed: 

https://www.troisiemepilier.ch/le-3eme-pilier-en-cas-de-divorce/

I was requested the same document by Corner Bank to simply transfer one of my 3rd pillars to a another bank. So this is probably something that most banks ask for.

I guess the reason is that if you are married in the "regime de participation aux acquets", the contributions one makes to the 3rd pillar after marriage must be shared between the spouses. The following link mentions this for the case of divorce, but it is probably the same for other cases in which the 3rd pillar is transferred or cashed: 

https://www.troisiemepilier.ch/le-3eme-pilier-en-cas-de-divorce/

ajimenezp, Apr 10, 2018 @ 23:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Yeah, I understand why they need to consider if a person is married or not (spouses are entitled to some assets I assume). My problem is practical - I don't know how to demonstrte I'm not mrried. Hmmm....

Yeah, I understand why they need to consider if a person is married or not (spouses are entitled to some assets I assume). My problem is practical - I don't know how to demonstrte I'm not mrried. Hmmm....

kathyl, Apr 11, 2018 @ 10:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Apr 11, 18 10:56

I'm sure, being you, that you've looked into it very thoroughly, but surely you would only need to prove that your marital status had CHANGED, i.e. from single to married (ergo, marriage certificate) or from married to divorced (ergo, divorce certificate). 

It's a bit like being asked to prove that you're still female and that your gender hasn't changed!

Still think it's a ridiculous request and I'm sure there must be a "Lost in Translation" element??

I'm sure, being you, that you've looked into it very thoroughly, but surely you would only need to prove that your marital status had CHANGED, i.e. from single to married (ergo, marriage certificate) or from married to divorced (ergo, divorce certificate). 

It's a bit like being asked to prove that you're still female and that your gender hasn't changed!

Still think it's a ridiculous request and I'm sure there must be a "Lost in Translation" element??

Carolyn C, Apr 11, 2018 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Kathy , I hope everything is going well over there. Well ive just picked myself off of the floor after a  laughting fit . Oh how the swiss can still plaugh you with BS after moving to the other side of the world . How far to you have to go to avoid this ?!?! Good luck with this  . jay

Hi Kathy , I hope everything is going well over there. Well ive just picked myself off of the floor after a  laughting fit . Oh how the swiss can still plaugh you with BS after moving to the other side of the world . How far to you have to go to avoid this ?!?! Good luck with this  . jay

Jay C, Apr 11, 2018 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 2594 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form