Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Restaurants & Bars to be avoided

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Restaurants & Bars to be avoided

I'd prefer not to do this but enough is enough and places that think it's ok to treat clients badly need to be named and shamed. While there are many great and affordable places to eat and drink in Geneva unfortunately there are a few that couldn't care less about you our what you think to even apologise when they've clearly or even admittedly done wrong.

Here is the exchange I had with one such place yesterday after I reviewed it on their Facebook page.

Geneva Cyclist reviewed Barbershop Genève — 1 star
21 hrs · 

After waiting almost an hour for our lunch today my wife and I had to leave as we had to return to work. As we had a coke and a water I went to pay and explained that we'd been waiting almost an hour and that we had to go, we were told the food would be another 5 mins but we said we had to go. I was then handed a bill for 29CHF when I said we would only be paying for the drinks we were rudely pointed towards the door and told "Go". We said fine and left, the barman-waiter then followed us onto the street shouting after us not to come back again, then he actually followed us and approached us while we were waiting to cross the road some 200 meters away from the restaurant and continued to give further abuse telling us to hurry up and not be late for our appointment. I've eaten there a number of times before and the food was always good but I'll never go there again as the behaviour there today was disgraceful. For a business operation in the hospitality industry I can honestly say that on todays performance these guys know nothing about hospitality.

Barbershop Genève
Pub

<581038_1169164569761297_7792309482936992159_n.jpg>

<12592787_1135326663145088_3634239646353099808_n.jpg>

Save

2,085 Likes
60 talking about this

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Comments

Barbershop Genève Dear Sir
you were the last customer on more than 50 today and plus you didn t tell to the waitress that you had a meeting..if i am in a hurry in a crowded restaurant i mention it to the waiter and asked him if it s possible to eat fast .today all the customers arrived at the same time and all of them had to wait more than usually and no one complain exept you.
we re open for 3 years now 
and if i were inhospitable as you say i don t think that the
restaurant were full like that every day.
Anyway keep calm and Barbershop Sir.
regards

Like · Reply · 1 · 15 hrs

<12715584_1667595453516298_7236886472092865098_n.jpg>

Geneva Cyclist By your attitude you seem to think your behaviour was acceptable, it wasn't. Your following us out onto the street and shouting at us was a disgrace. We simply told you after waiting 55mins that we had to go and went to pay for our drinks, you then attempted to charge us for the food that you were unable to serve us in a timely manner. What's even further worrying is that you claim that nobody else had a problem when the six people sitting at three different tables around us were also very annoyed by the delayed service. Your further reluctance to offer an apology for your behaviour makes us even happier that we left. BTW good food and bad service does not make a good restaurant.

Like · Reply · 15 hrs

Write a reply...

Barbershop Genève those people you speak are regular customer who came minimum 3 times a week..
if you were really pressed as you say why did you wait "50 minutes "when i check out on the computer was 35 min...before leaving without asking the waitress about your main course?
Strange reaction..anyway there is many places for you in Geneva Sir like Mac Donald...quick service... 
thanks for your last analysis

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Barbershop Genève and please when you step in a retaurant ask someone before seating every where you want to know if the table is free and not booked...we call this education.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Geneva Cyclist The people I'm referring to were annoyed by the delay and I doubt very much if they come three times a week. We arrived at 12.05 we left at 1pm without getting a hamburger and a tartine. You then abused us and treated us as rudely as you have in your responses here. We've merely stated the facts and you reply by continuing with the same nasty attitude that you displayed yesterday. We waited 55 mins because we are reasonable people but that was the limit to our patience. If you had a problem with where we sat you should have approached us and informed us of that but neither you or any other staff member did that, they simply came and took our order which is exactly what they've done the other times we were there. As for you suggesting that we go to McDonalds, I'm pretty sure that if any member of staff there behaved like you did yesterday then they would be out of a job today. It would appear that you're not just a barman-waiter as I thought yesterday but the actual business owner and it would appear that we won't be getting an apology any time soon which is very disappointing.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs · Edited

Barbershop Genève I will not spend more if my precious time with you...even my regular customers asked me if they can seat and wait for me or my waitress if we are busy to have an answer..you re wrong on the all line ..and as you can see the many comments we have your really very unlucky to be treated like this.
for me it s enaugh and this conversation is done.just find other place

Like · Reply · 48 mins

Geneva Cyclist I totally agree with you that we were very unlucky to be treated like this and even though you say this you still haven't apologised. If you had realised yesterday that our time was also as precious as yours then we wouldn't have had this situation develop as it did. Waiting for the food wasn't the issue, it was being verbally abused by you when we pointed out the delay and that we couldn't wait any longer. As for finding another place, that is not a problem.

Like · Reply · 24 mins

The text you are quoting:

I'd prefer not to do this but enough is enough and places that think it's ok to treat clients badly need to be named and shamed. While there are many great and affordable places to eat and drink in Geneva unfortunately there are a few that couldn't care less about you our what you think to even apologise when they've clearly or even admittedly done wrong.

Here is the exchange I had with one such place yesterday after I reviewed it on their Facebook page.

Geneva Cyclist reviewed Barbershop Genève — 1 star
21 hrs · 

After waiting almost an hour for our lunch today my wife and I had to leave as we had to return to work. As we had a coke and a water I went to pay and explained that we'd been waiting almost an hour and that we had to go, we were told the food would be another 5 mins but we said we had to go. I was then handed a bill for 29CHF when I said we would only be paying for the drinks we were rudely pointed towards the door and told "Go". We said fine and left, the barman-waiter then followed us onto the street shouting after us not to come back again, then he actually followed us and approached us while we were waiting to cross the road some 200 meters away from the restaurant and continued to give further abuse telling us to hurry up and not be late for our appointment. I've eaten there a number of times before and the food was always good but I'll never go there again as the behaviour there today was disgraceful. For a business operation in the hospitality industry I can honestly say that on todays performance these guys know nothing about hospitality.

Barbershop Genève
Pub

<581038_1169164569761297_7792309482936992159_n.jpg>

Save

2,085 Likes
60 talking about this

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Comments

Barbershop Genève Dear Sir
you were the last customer on more than 50 today and plus you didn t tell to the waitress that you had a meeting..if i am in a hurry in a crowded restaurant i mention it to the waiter and asked him if it s possible to eat fast .today all the customers arrived at the same time and all of them had to wait more than usually and no one complain exept you.
we re open for 3 years now 
and if i were inhospitable as you say i don t think that the
restaurant were full like that every day.
Anyway keep calm and Barbershop Sir.
regards

Like · Reply · 1 · 15 hrs

Geneva Cyclist By your attitude you seem to think your behaviour was acceptable, it wasn't. Your following us out onto the street and shouting at us was a disgrace. We simply told you after waiting 55mins that we had to go and went to pay for our drinks, you then attempted to charge us for the food that you were unable to serve us in a timely manner. What's even further worrying is that you claim that nobody else had a problem when the six people sitting at three different tables around us were also very annoyed by the delayed service. Your further reluctance to offer an apology for your behaviour makes us even happier that we left. BTW good food and bad service does not make a good restaurant.

Like · Reply · 15 hrs

Write a reply...

Barbershop Genève those people you speak are regular customer who came minimum 3 times a week..
if you were really pressed as you say why did you wait "50 minutes "when i check out on the computer was 35 min...before leaving without asking the waitress about your main course?
Strange reaction..anyway there is many places for you in Geneva Sir like Mac Donald...quick service... 
thanks for your last analysis

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Barbershop Genève and please when you step in a retaurant ask someone before seating every where you want to know if the table is free and not booked...we call this education.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Geneva Cyclist The people I'm referring to were annoyed by the delay and I doubt very much if they come three times a week. We arrived at 12.05 we left at 1pm without getting a hamburger and a tartine. You then abused us and treated us as rudely as you have in your responses here. We've merely stated the facts and you reply by continuing with the same nasty attitude that you displayed yesterday. We waited 55 mins because we are reasonable people but that was the limit to our patience. If you had a problem with where we sat you should have approached us and informed us of that but neither you or any other staff member did that, they simply came and took our order which is exactly what they've done the other times we were there. As for you suggesting that we go to McDonalds, I'm pretty sure that if any member of staff there behaved like you did yesterday then they would be out of a job today. It would appear that you're not just a barman-waiter as I thought yesterday but the actual business owner and it would appear that we won't be getting an apology any time soon which is very disappointing.

Like · Reply · 2 hrs · Edited

Barbershop Genève I will not spend more if my precious time with you...even my regular customers asked me if they can seat and wait for me or my waitress if we are busy to have an answer..you re wrong on the all line ..and as you can see the many comments we have your really very unlucky to be treated like this.
for me it s enaugh and this conversation is done.just find other place

Like · Reply · 48 mins

Geneva Cyclist I totally agree with you that we were very unlucky to be treated like this and even though you say this you still haven't apologised. If you had realised yesterday that our time was also as precious as yours then we wouldn't have had this situation develop as it did. Waiting for the food wasn't the issue, it was being verbally abused by you when we pointed out the delay and that we couldn't wait any longer. As for finding another place, that is not a problem.

Like · Reply · 24 mins

Gerry WalshApr 27, 2016 @ 12:15
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1192 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Restaurants & Bars to be avoided
Post 1

Are you going to put this on Trip Advisor?

Are you going to put this on Trip Advisor?

delseta9_, Apr 29, 2016 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Ah Swiss "Service"!!  

Had a similar experience at Le Deck in Chexbres.  

http://www.barontavernier.ch/en-13-le-deck.html

Went for sundowners with visitors last summer, passed by the bar and asked where we should sit.  In English, she told us where to sit and pointed to a table covered in dirty glasses, ashtrays and discarded fruits (presumably from the previous visitor's cocktail).

We waited 20 minutes to be served (or even have the table cleaned, would have been nice) whilst the two "waitresses" chatted and texted on their phones at the bar.  

So eventually, I went up to the bar and explained (in French) that all we wanted was 2 glasses of wine and an apple juice and had been waiting 20 minutes, only to get a snappy "J'arrive" and a handwave implying that I should piss off back to my seat whilst she finished off her texting.

I turned round and said "well, you haven't "arrivez" and as you're showing not intention of "arrivez" is why I came to the bar"....and duly pissed off back to my seat.

10 minutes later a different waitress came with the drinks, slammed (seriously) the bill down on the table and snarled at us in French "as you're in SUCH a hurry, you can pay now".

Delightful, non?  I wrote to the manager and advised that if he didn't offer either an explanation or apology for his staff's disgraceful behaviour and bad service, that I would put a complaint on Trip Advisor.

He couldn't be bothered to reply.

So it went on Trip Advisor and Facebook and every other social media I could think of.

The underlying problem is the excessively high salaries paid to waiting/restaurant staff.  A friend of mine gets CHF27 an hour, cash, as a "plongeur"!!  

Whilst not in favour of the excessive tipping employed across the pond, there has to be a happy medium where staff are motivated to boost a slightly lower wage.

I'm all for (legal) Eastern European immigrants coming in and taking Swiss jobs.  They're humble and grateful for the work, they have an ability to smile and when they say "service" - they actually mean it!

Ah Swiss "Service"!!  

Had a similar experience at Le Deck in Chexbres.  

http://www.barontavernier.ch/en-13-le-deck.html

Went for sundowners with visitors last summer, passed by the bar and asked where we should sit.  In English, she told us where to sit and pointed to a table covered in dirty glasses, ashtrays and discarded fruits (presumably from the previous visitor's cocktail).

We waited 20 minutes to be served (or even have the table cleaned, would have been nice) whilst the two "waitresses" chatted and texted on their phones at the bar.  

So eventually, I went up to the bar and explained (in French) that all we wanted was 2 glasses of wine and an apple juice and had been waiting 20 minutes, only to get a snappy "J'arrive" and a handwave implying that I should piss off back to my seat whilst she finished off her texting.

I turned round and said "well, you haven't "arrivez" and as you're showing not intention of "arrivez" is why I came to the bar"....and duly pissed off back to my seat.

10 minutes later a different waitress came with the drinks, slammed (seriously) the bill down on the table and snarled at us in French "as you're in SUCH a hurry, you can pay now".

Delightful, non?  I wrote to the manager and advised that if he didn't offer either an explanation or apology for his staff's disgraceful behaviour and bad service, that I would put a complaint on Trip Advisor.

He couldn't be bothered to reply.

So it went on Trip Advisor and Facebook and every other social media I could think of.

The underlying problem is the excessively high salaries paid to waiting/restaurant staff.  A friend of mine gets CHF27 an hour, cash, as a "plongeur"!!  

Whilst not in favour of the excessive tipping employed across the pond, there has to be a happy medium where staff are motivated to boost a slightly lower wage.

I'm all for (legal) Eastern European immigrants coming in and taking Swiss jobs.  They're humble and grateful for the work, they have an ability to smile and when they say "service" - they actually mean it!

Carolyn C, Apr 30, 2016 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Terrible attitude at that place - should definitely post a negative review on Trip Advisor...

Terrible attitude at that place - should definitely post a negative review on Trip Advisor...

Ben Bouckley, Apr 30, 2016 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

you should definitely post a review on tripadvisor and other sites (including glocals). Part of the drinks'/meals' price is in the service.

you should definitely post a review on tripadvisor and other sites (including glocals). Part of the drinks'/meals' price is in the service.

Sinan, Apr 30, 2016 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

In Spain (and in other countries), every restaurant, bar and hotel must keep an official register of complaints. Every unsatisfied customer can ask to fill in an official complaints form, and he can keep a copy. Every inspection will check this official register, and if the complains are serious and justified, the restaurant/hotel can be sanctioned.

I do not think anything similar exist in Switzerland, or at least, not compulsory. Anybody can confirm?

This is what I have been able to find, for hotels in Switzerland: https://www.hotelleriesuisse.ch/en/pub/verband/ombudsmansoffice.htm

Maybe is there a similar consumer protection organization that specifically deals with restaurants and bars?

In Spain (and in other countries), every restaurant, bar and hotel must keep an official register of complaints. Every unsatisfied customer can ask to fill in an official complaints form, and he can keep a copy. Every inspection will check this official register, and if the complains are serious and justified, the restaurant/hotel can be sanctioned.

I do not think anything similar exist in Switzerland, or at least, not compulsory. Anybody can confirm?

This is what I have been able to find, for hotels in Switzerland: https://www.hotelleriesuisse.ch/en/pub/verband/ombudsmansoffice.htm

Maybe is there a similar consumer protection organization that specifically deals with restaurants and bars?

ajimenezp, Apr 30, 2016 @ 14:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The wort place I have ever been is the Fleur de Lise in Gruyeres. Awful manager . First time I went I went in a group for lunch and because everyone else was having a choclate fondue he refused to serve me a cheese one even though I told him I am allergic to most fruit . He told me to take the oens i was allergic to off my plate and would not even serve me extra orange which i can eat 

The next time i went with freinds. We waited 30 mins for a table - that was how long it took them to bring the bill for the people before us. We took dried ham and the bread was frozen so we just ate round th edge . They served us our fondue - no bread so we could not eat it . After it sitting wating for 40 minutes without bread I went to the bar and asked for some bread. The patron came up to me and aksed me what I was doing. When I told him, instead of apologising he said " look around you, we are busy , there are more customers than just you you know " 

At that point we should have left but I was with a freind who was ill so I didnt want to make a fuss.

When I came to pay the bill I was asked if I wanted to leave a tip .. they were lucky I paid at all let alone a tip 

Never again. 

I tried to put this review on Trip Advisor but the Patron denied it so they didnt post it - so itis great to have the chance to warn everyone away from the place on here 

The wort place I have ever been is the Fleur de Lise in Gruyeres. Awful manager . First time I went I went in a group for lunch and because everyone else was having a choclate fondue he refused to serve me a cheese one even though I told him I am allergic to most fruit . He told me to take the oens i was allergic to off my plate and would not even serve me extra orange which i can eat 

The next time i went with freinds. We waited 30 mins for a table - that was how long it took them to bring the bill for the people before us. We took dried ham and the bread was frozen so we just ate round th edge . They served us our fondue - no bread so we could not eat it . After it sitting wating for 40 minutes without bread I went to the bar and asked for some bread. The patron came up to me and aksed me what I was doing. When I told him, instead of apologising he said " look around you, we are busy , there are more customers than just you you know " 

At that point we should have left but I was with a freind who was ill so I didnt want to make a fuss.

When I came to pay the bill I was asked if I wanted to leave a tip .. they were lucky I paid at all let alone a tip 

Never again. 

I tried to put this review on Trip Advisor but the Patron denied it so they didnt post it - so itis great to have the chance to warn everyone away from the place on here 

Helen E, Apr 30, 2016 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

What a forgot to add is that the french speaking people on the table next to us were served an abundance of potatoes and bread with their fondue , even though they arrived quite a bit after us ...  just saying ! 

What a forgot to add is that the french speaking people on the table next to us were served an abundance of potatoes and bread with their fondue , even though they arrived quite a bit after us ...  just saying ! 

Helen E, Apr 30, 2016 @ 15:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You can post your story here.

You can post your story here.

Casuistik, Apr 30, 2016 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I tried to but I couldn't find them on there, I'm not sure if there's a way to put up a review if the business is not registered there. 

I tried to but I couldn't find them on there, I'm not sure if there's a way to put up a review if the business is not registered there. 

Gerry Walsh, Apr 30, 2016 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

You can add it if you want to give them their first elating review here.

You can add it if you want to give them their first elating review here.

Casuistik, Apr 30, 2016 @ 18:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1192 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form