Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Selling my car - am I being scammed? People abroad wanting to buy..

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Selling my car - am I being scammed? People abroad wanting to buy..

Hello everyone, I wonder if someone can help me please. I am currently trying to sell my car and the only serious interest I have had is from people that live abroad (one in France, one in Russia). The both say they definitely want to buy the car at my offer price (which is a bit high as I left room for people to bid me a bit lower), neither of them are even trying to negotiate on price. It just seems a bit suspicious to me, am I being too cautious? Is there any way that you can be scammed by letting someone buy your car and take it abroad? Perhaps there will be charges that will somehow come back to me? I would of course not let anyone take it before payment is fully cleared in my bank account, not sure if there is anything else I should worry about? Any thoughts / ideas would be very much appreciated! Thanks, joe

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone, I wonder if someone can help me please. I am currently trying to sell my car and the only serious interest I have had is from people that live abroad (one in France, one in Russia). The both say they definitely want to buy the car at my offer price (which is a bit high as I left room for people to bid me a bit lower), neither of them are even trying to negotiate on price. It just seems a bit suspicious to me, am I being too cautious? Is there any way that you can be scammed by letting someone buy your car and take it abroad? Perhaps there will be charges that will somehow come back to me? I would of course not let anyone take it before payment is fully cleared in my bank account, not sure if there is anything else I should worry about? Any thoughts / ideas would be very much appreciated! Thanks, joe

Joe ESep 29, 2016 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 2777 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Selling my car - am I being scammed? People abroad wanting to buy..
Post 1

You are not obliged to sell your car to someone you are not comfortable selling to. Why not just say cash on collection, sold as seen? Just don't give the keys to anyone until you have cleared funds in your hand or bank account. Quite simple, really.

You are not obliged to sell your car to someone you are not comfortable selling to. Why not just say cash on collection, sold as seen? Just don't give the keys to anyone until you have cleared funds in your hand or bank account. Quite simple, really.

nickg_44, Sep 29, 2016 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Many thanks Nick. This is clear - my question is more whether there is anything specific around someone exporting a car bought from you to another country, which can result in you somehow losing out

Many thanks Nick. This is clear - my question is more whether there is anything specific around someone exporting a car bought from you to another country, which can result in you somehow losing out

Joe E, Sep 29, 2016 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The usual scam along these lines is for them to send a cheque for more than the agreed amount and ask you to wire them the difference after the cheque has cleared.  The story is that they have been given this cashier's / banker's cheque that they want to use and this will save them some fees.  You typically won't meet them and they will offer more than you were expecting for whatever you are selling.

After you have checked that the cheque has cleared and you have wired them their money you will find out that a cheque can be identified as fake or unpayable some time after it has been confirmed as cleared by the bank and you'll realise that you are down by whatever amount you sent them.

The usual scam along these lines is for them to send a cheque for more than the agreed amount and ask you to wire them the difference after the cheque has cleared.  The story is that they have been given this cashier's / banker's cheque that they want to use and this will save them some fees.  You typically won't meet them and they will offer more than you were expecting for whatever you are selling.

After you have checked that the cheque has cleared and you have wired them their money you will find out that a cheque can be identified as fake or unpayable some time after it has been confirmed as cleared by the bank and you'll realise that you are down by whatever amount you sent them.

Andy C, Sep 29, 2016 @ 22:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It's definitely a scam. Nobody would buy a car in Geneva from Russia (unless you are selling an antique Rolls-Royce, which I assume isn't the case). Not only this does not make sense, but the taxes and red tapes due to exporting a car to another country is also a deterrent.

When they contact you, you should ask upfront when would they be available to see the car. If they aren't interested in having a look at it I'd not contact them again.

In short, deal only with locals.  (Or GLocals...)

It's definitely a scam. Nobody would buy a car in Geneva from Russia (unless you are selling an antique Rolls-Royce, which I assume isn't the case). Not only this does not make sense, but the taxes and red tapes due to exporting a car to another country is also a deterrent.

When they contact you, you should ask upfront when would they be available to see the car. If they aren't interested in having a look at it I'd not contact them again.

In short, deal only with locals.  (Or GLocals...)

TheOmegaMan, Sep 30, 2016 @ 18:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

thanks everyone for the inputs. in the end i agreed to sell to the guy in france - he said he had sent payment and provided his 'proof' which was a v fake looking email / attachment from 'banque de france'.. the terms of the payment were that he was sending chf800 more than the agreed price and that in order to make the payment clear i had to first send him back the extra chf800.. what a joke, the stupidest con ever. the sad thing is that people must fall for it for him to bother trying and it is likely older, more vulnerable people..

thanks everyone for the inputs. in the end i agreed to sell to the guy in france - he said he had sent payment and provided his 'proof' which was a v fake looking email / attachment from 'banque de france'.. the terms of the payment were that he was sending chf800 more than the agreed price and that in order to make the payment clear i had to first send him back the extra chf800.. what a joke, the stupidest con ever. the sad thing is that people must fall for it for him to bother trying and it is likely older, more vulnerable people..

Joe E, Oct 6, 2016 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

We had the same thing, they send you a cheque and ask you to withdraw a certian amount to pay the person who is collecting the car. Then they collect the car you give them money and then the bank informs you the cheque has bounced.

We had the same thing, they send you a cheque and ask you to withdraw a certian amount to pay the person who is collecting the car. Then they collect the car you give them money and then the bank informs you the cheque has bounced.

kirschner27, Oct 6, 2016 @ 15:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Joe, yeah don't fall into those traps. I have had my car on sale here as well as on Autoscout and number of people coming from abroad were endless. My standard reply was that they should be here in person in order to do the paperwork for exporting the car....they never replied. Deal with locals only, my advice.

Regards

Hi Joe, yeah don't fall into those traps. I have had my car on sale here as well as on Autoscout and number of people coming from abroad were endless. My standard reply was that they should be here in person in order to do the paperwork for exporting the car....they never replied. Deal with locals only, my advice.

Regards

Sander Lipman, Oct 6, 2016 @ 16:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Don't be automatically put off by the thought of export though, it's super common here, just like wads of cash.

For example a friend sold his land rover to a guy for 20k or so, sounded suspicious at first, the guy was from abroad, would send his friend, would export the car etc..  The person turned up as agreed, with cash and his own delivery plates etc and took the car away. Seems these cars are really sought after in Lebanon and that's where he was taking it.

Just make sure you have cleared funds, you personally cancel the grey card and you take your plates off. You should be fine.

Don't be automatically put off by the thought of export though, it's super common here, just like wads of cash.

For example a friend sold his land rover to a guy for 20k or so, sounded suspicious at first, the guy was from abroad, would send his friend, would export the car etc..  The person turned up as agreed, with cash and his own delivery plates etc and took the car away. Seems these cars are really sought after in Lebanon and that's where he was taking it.

Just make sure you have cleared funds, you personally cancel the grey card and you take your plates off. You should be fine.

John H, Oct 10, 2016 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Swiss cars are considered to be a good buy in Eastern Europe as usually they are well maintained, serviced and have a clear track record.

As John mentioned above, if they turn up in person, they take care of the export formalities and you take off your plate, you can sell abroad as well.

Not everybody is a scammer with checks.

Those scams are usually anyways organized out of Africa, usually Nigeria and you can instantly recognize from the overfriendly "my friend" stlye....the immmediate cash need email from friends who got robbbed abroad came from Turkey and Turkish police caught the guys after they received the particular transfer details etc. ;) But this is another story.

Swiss cars are considered to be a good buy in Eastern Europe as usually they are well maintained, serviced and have a clear track record.

As John mentioned above, if they turn up in person, they take care of the export formalities and you take off your plate, you can sell abroad as well.

Not everybody is a scammer with checks.

Those scams are usually anyways organized out of Africa, usually Nigeria and you can instantly recognize from the overfriendly "my friend" stlye....the immmediate cash need email from friends who got robbbed abroad came from Turkey and Turkish police caught the guys after they received the particular transfer details etc. ;) But this is another story.

Reka Y, Oct 10, 2016 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

This is definatelly a scam!

Recently I was trying to sell a dress (not a car :) on Anibis and I recieved tons of similar emails, sometimes with nearly identical texts. The buyer confirms that he wants to buy my dress without any attempt to negotiate the price, but he is abroad (France, Belgium, Netherlands...), so he proposes to use paypal and, of course, he will pay all fees, etc. If you agree to that, he sends you an email with a fake confirmation of payment, saying that paypal will hold the money until he recieves the merchandise.... Simple, right? Sadly, if somebody does not know how paypal works, they might be tricked by the scammers.

Another thing. As I got suspiciouse, I decided to google the people who contacted me, luckly the email adress was [email protected]. They dont exist in Social Media, however I found one of the ladies: Marguerite Lavigne (1737 - 1830). I have a reasanable doubt she did not write me herself...

So, watch out and dont waste your time on those people. 

For those who read French, here is a couple of examples of these emails:

Bonjour,
Je confirme l'achat de votre article et je vous informe que je suis en déplacement en Belgiqueje souhaiterais donc que vous l'expédiiez par la poste Suisse plus précisément à Corcelles-le-jorat et pour le paiement, je propose de vous régler par Paypal avec tous les frais à ma charge, si cela ne vous pose pas de problème, je vous prie de vous rendre sur le site https://www.post.ch/fr pour une estimation du tarif des frais d'expédition puis me faire parvenir le montant total (frais d'expédition + prix de l'article) et votre adresse Paypal.

Merci bien pour votre bonne compréhension et veuillez me répondre très
Rapidement afin de pouvoir effectué le virement.
Cordialement

cette offre me va mais je suis  actuellement en déplacement en France, je
souhaiterais donc que vous l'expédiez par la poste en France et pour le
paiement je propose de vous régler avant tout envoi par Paypal avec tous
les frais à ma charge.

Recently I was trying to sell a dress (not a car :) on Anibis and I recieved tons of similar emails, sometimes with nearly identical texts. The buyer confirms that he wants to buy my dress without any attempt to negotiate the price, but he is abroad (France, Belgium, Netherlands...), so he proposes to use paypal and, of course, he will pay all fees, etc. If you agree to that, he sends you an email with a fake confirmation of payment, saying that paypal will hold the money until he recieves the merchandise.... Simple, right? Sadly, if somebody does not know how paypal works, they might be tricked by the scammers.

Another thing. As I got suspiciouse, I decided to google the people who contacted me, luckly the email adress was [email protected]. They dont exist in Social Media, however I found one of the ladies: Marguerite Lavigne (1737 - 1830). I have a reasanable doubt she did not write me herself...

Bonjour,
Je confirme l'achat de votre article et je vous informe que je suis en déplacement en Belgiqueje souhaiterais donc que vous l'expédiiez par la poste Suisse plus précisément à Corcelles-le-jorat et pour le paiement, je propose de vous régler par Paypal avec tous les frais à ma charge, si cela ne vous pose pas de problème, je vous prie de vous rendre sur le site https://www.post.ch/fr pour une estimation du tarif des frais d'expédition puis me faire parvenir le montant total (frais d'expédition + prix de l'article) et votre adresse Paypal.

Cordialement

cette offre me va mais je suis  actuellement en déplacement en France, je
les frais à ma charge.

Evgeniya E, Oct 10, 2016 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Bonjour,
Cordialement   ____________   cette offre me va mais je suis  actuellement en déplacement en France, je
les frais à ma charge.   ___________

Oct 10, 16 14:43

Not surprised. some people are quickly moving across the Mediterranean....I have had this in 2006 while living in Hungary whel trying to sell a table and the guys were from Nigeria....

However, having seen a lot of cars being imported into Hungary from Switzerland, without having seen the communication Joe has received, I would not  state that it is a definite scam.

They may have been genuineely interested.

Not surprised. some people are quickly moving across the Mediterranean....I have had this in 2006 while living in Hungary whel trying to sell a table and the guys were from Nigeria....

However, having seen a lot of cars being imported into Hungary from Switzerland, without having seen the communication Joe has received, I would not  state that it is a definite scam.

Reka Y, Oct 10, 2016 @ 18:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Oct 10, 16 18:38

Sorry. I have not seen the French seller comment from Joe. That is surely the typical scam I have also witnessed.

Sorry. I have not seen the French seller comment from Joe. That is surely the typical scam I have also witnessed.

Reka Y, Oct 10, 2016 @ 18:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 2777 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form