Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Subtitles on tv

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Subtitles on tv

I thought I would try and read the French while listening to French tv to try and improve my language skills. But when I push the subt. button on my remote it says it is on but no subtitles appear. Am I doing something wrong or are there no subtitles on tv?

The text you are quoting:

I thought I would try and read the French while listening to French tv to try and improve my language skills. But when I push the subt. button on my remote it says it is on but no subtitles appear. Am I doing something wrong or are there no subtitles on tv?

Stephanie LMar 10, 2013 @ 17:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 2784 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Subtitles on tv
Post 1

SUBTITLES only apprear if is not french speaking and the film is supported bilingual. but do you have Swisscom TV or other? Bilag TV also supports biligual programs but i am not sure about subtitles , mostly are changing verbally from French to English

SUBTITLES only apprear if is not french speaking and the film is supported bilingual. but do you have Swisscom TV or other? Bilag TV also supports biligual programs but i am not sure about subtitles , mostly are changing verbally from French to English

Dave G, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It depends if that movie or show has subtitles, not all do. With the subtitles on just zap through the channels, you will notice that some have subtitles others don't.

It depends if that movie or show has subtitles, not all do. With the subtitles on just zap through the channels, you will notice that some have subtitles others don't.

catalin, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I just have basic tv through Swisscom. Only 30 channels. I guess I am looking for something like US closed captioning. But it seems none of the channels show text 

I just have basic tv through Swisscom. Only 30 channels. I guess I am looking for something like US closed captioning. But it seems none of the channels show text 

Stephanie L, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You can use the Teletext subtitles.

Mari-Liis B, Mar 10, 2013 @ 18:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I think i figured it out! Thanks!

Stephanie L, Mar 10, 2013 @ 19:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 10, 13 18:31

That's the only kind ;)

That's the only kind ;)

catalin, Mar 10, 2013 @ 19:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Mar 10, 13 17:55

Dont know if its similar to the German speaking TV but all come from the same house, on the swissgerman TV (SF1) you go to teletext page 777 then everything is subtitled, give it a try. Maybe it functions the same way for they all come from srf

Hope this helps.

Dont know if its similar to the German speaking TV but all come from the same house, on the swissgerman TV (SF1) you go to teletext page 777 then everything is subtitled, give it a try. Maybe it functions the same way for they all come from srf

Hope this helps.

Dorothy W, Mar 10, 2013 @ 23:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Mar 10, 13 19:03

How did you figure it out as have the same problem since I switched to Swisssom.  Did you use teletext? 

Also related question. Cannot find eurosport in English on swisscom TV only seem to be able to get French and German - no probs with language but for some sports prefer the English commentators

How did you figure it out as have the same problem since I switched to Swisssom.  Did you use teletext? 

Also related question. Cannot find eurosport in English on swisscom TV only seem to be able to get French and German - no probs with language but for some sports prefer the English commentators

Paul E, Mar 11, 2013 @ 10:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Yes I used teletext. I just went to each channel and then hit teletext and then did page 777 or 888 and usually one of those worked. As for your eurosport question, I am not sure about that one, sorry!

Yes I used teletext. I just went to each channel and then hit teletext and then did page 777 or 888 and usually one of those worked. As for your eurosport question, I am not sure about that one, sorry!

Stephanie L, Mar 11, 2013 @ 10:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Mar 11, 13 10:24

You probably don't have that channel in your subscription, se if you can add it separately.

You probably don't have that channel in your subscription, se if you can add it separately.

catalin, Mar 11, 2013 @ 11:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 2784 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form