Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Tu and Vous

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Tu and Vous

Interesting article but we know it'll never happen and quite rightly so. 

http://www.thelocal.fr/20150417/isnt-it-time-france-scrapped-tu-and-vous

I have no issue with the whole 'Tu' and 'vous' thing in French and understand exactly how it works etc, but having had experience in a couple of other languages, I don't think other people can get so mind-blowingly precious about using it incorrectly as Francophones.

The Spanish I knew and communicated with for years didn't really seem to mind and sometimes insisted I tutoyer people I wouldn't normally address that way in French as using the formal version with them made them feel uncomfortable and that they were putting on airs and graces.

I did make a mistake one time on a train as it was arriving in Geneva airport. A more mature lady was struggling with what looked like a heavy suitcase from the luggage rack. I said, "Je peux t'aider? (can I help you?) and was greeted by an icy state and a venomous, "Do we know each other?" to which I replied, "I beg YOUR pardon. Do it YOURself then."

Any thoughts on this and what has your experience been. 

The text you are quoting:

I have no issue with the whole 'Tu' and 'vous' thing in French and understand exactly how it works etc, but having had experience in a couple of other languages, I don't think other people can get so mind-blowingly precious about using it incorrectly as Francophones.

The Spanish I knew and communicated with for years didn't really seem to mind and sometimes insisted I tutoyer people I wouldn't normally address that way in French as using the formal version with them made them feel uncomfortable and that they were putting on airs and graces.

I did make a mistake one time on a train as it was arriving in Geneva airport. A more mature lady was struggling with what looked like a heavy suitcase from the luggage rack. I said, "Je peux t'aider? (can I help you?) and was greeted by an icy state and a venomous, "Do we know each other?" to which I replied, "I beg YOUR pardon. Do it YOURself then."

RichJun 27, 2015 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

44 Replies | 4736 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Tu and Vous
Post 1

Jun 27, 15 14:43

Hey Rich

You wouldn't have these issues if you just stuck to the standard British way of dealing with non-English speakers, which is to address them as if they are large, deaf children.

Hey Rich

You wouldn't have these issues if you just stuck to the standard British way of dealing with non-English speakers, which is to address them as if they are large, deaf children.

Andy C, Jun 27, 2015 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Bonjour

c'est très mal poli en français tutoyer un adulte sans le connaitre. Le " tu" est réservé aux enfants ou bien aux personnes qu'on connait bien et après accord mutuel. En espérant t'avoir éclairer un peu.

Bien à vous

Angela

Bonjour

c'est très mal poli en français tutoyer un adulte sans le connaitre. Le " tu" est réservé aux enfants ou bien aux personnes qu'on connait bien et après accord mutuel. En espérant t'avoir éclairer un peu.

Bien à vous

Angela

angela a, Jun 27, 2015 @ 19:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Angela, I do understand but thank you for proving my point. Btw, when I was at the airport it was to fly home to see my mother who died two days later so my mind was otherwise concerned. Clearly I should have been taken out and shot for offering to help and old woman with her suitcase. What a total bastard I am!

What would happen if you were trying to pull someone from burning wreckage and said, "Vite! Prends ma main !"? I guess i'd get from you, "On sait connait?!"

Angela, I do understand but thank you for proving my point. Btw, when I was at the airport it was to fly home to see my mother who died two days later so my mind was otherwise concerned. Clearly I should have been taken out and shot for offering to help and old woman with her suitcase. What a total bastard I am!

What would happen if you were trying to pull someone from burning wreckage and said, "Vite! Prends ma main !"? I guess i'd get from you, "On sait connait?!"

Rich, Jun 27, 2015 @ 19:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

This old lady was not very intelligent.The 'tu' is generally accepted when we deal with foreigners.

This old lady was not very intelligent.The 'tu' is generally accepted when we deal with foreigners.

Celia l, Jun 27, 2015 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jun 27, 15 19:59

I meant "On se connaît?!". I was just going through a bad spell. Laughing

I meant "On se connaît?!". I was just going through a bad spell. Laughing

Rich, Jun 27, 2015 @ 21:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Rich je comprends parfaitement ton point de vue et je suis totalement d'accord.Et moi personellement je ne me vexe pas si quelqu'un me dit " tu" . Je suis juste un peu surprise. Mais avant, je t'ai juste  répondu  par rapport à la langue française que exige la forme de respet " vous". Autrement dit, j'espère que les personnes intelligentes ne se vexeront jamais si le " tu" vient d'un étranger en toute bonne foi.

Cordialement

Angela 

Rich je comprends parfaitement ton point de vue et je suis totalement d'accord.Et moi personellement je ne me vexe pas si quelqu'un me dit " tu" . Je suis juste un peu surprise. Mais avant, je t'ai juste  répondu  par rapport à la langue française que exige la forme de respet " vous". Autrement dit, j'espère que les personnes intelligentes ne se vexeront jamais si le " tu" vient d'un étranger en toute bonne foi.

Cordialement

Angela 

angela a, Jun 27, 2015 @ 22:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

In some “Third World” countries, servants and other semi-skilled workers who’ve had limited schooling often only know the familiar form. I can remember being taken aback when, on being introduced to an office driver, he immediately asked “Tu vas bien, Madame?” But I certainly didn’t take it amiss and we subsequently had many a good tu-toi natter when he was at the wheel.

I’d say the lady at the airport might have been astonished at the offer of help or was also on her way to sad occasopn.  Maybe her bunions were hurting.  What matters, Rich, is that you tried to do a good deed.

In some “Third World” countries, servants and other semi-skilled workers who’ve had limited schooling often only know the familiar form. I can remember being taken aback when, on being introduced to an office driver, he immediately asked “Tu vas bien, Madame?” But I certainly didn’t take it amiss and we subsequently had many a good tu-toi natter when he was at the wheel.

I’d say the lady at the airport might have been astonished at the offer of help or was also on her way to sad occasopn.  Maybe her bunions were hurting.  What matters, Rich, is that you tried to do a good deed.

Ritchie, Jun 27, 2015 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Good on you Richie on not taking it amiss when a semi-skilled/limited education person had the (what should I say?) temerity, gall, audaciousness, effrontery, to address you as an equal.

And well done you on being able to have not just one but indeed many conversations  with that person (?) as if you were equals.

Good on you Richie on not taking it amiss when a semi-skilled/limited education person had the (what should I say?) temerity, gall, audaciousness, effrontery, to address you as an equal.

And well done you on being able to have not just one but indeed many conversations  with that person (?) as if you were equals.

Jimbo, Jun 27, 2015 @ 23:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jun 27, 15 23:40

So helplessly moronic...

So helplessly moronic...

Casuistik, Jun 28, 2015 @ 07:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Before this descends into a forum for hate speeches against the French or French speakers please try to understand this was purely an observation from my experience in relation to TWO words within what is a great language and their importance for native French speakers, which can lead to frustration for English speakers who only have one form of 'you'. That's all!

Before this descends into a forum for hate speeches against the French or French speakers please try to understand this was purely an observation from my experience in relation to TWO words within what is a great language and their importance for native French speakers, which can lead to frustration for English speakers who only have one form of 'you'. That's all!

Rich, Jun 28, 2015 @ 09:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Using "tu" with someone you have not been introduced to beforehand, or not been invited to do so, is like kissing a girl on the mouth without even so much as an unspoken invitation! NO! Ir's a violation of the intimate sphere.

You say "tu" to young children, friends and family members. FULL STOP.

You say "vous" to strangers, teens, co-workers unless otherwise asked.

Using "tu" with someone you have not been introduced to beforehand, or not been invited to do so, is like kissing a girl on the mouth without even so much as an unspoken invitation! NO! Ir's a violation of the intimate sphere.

You say "tu" to young children, friends and family members. FULL STOP.

You say "vous" to strangers, teens, co-workers unless otherwise asked.

hay_, Jun 28, 2015 @ 10:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Angela,

Quand vous dites ' aux personnes qu'on connait bien', ca veut dire quoi? Le medicin que j'ai visite plusieur fois? Le barista qui me reconnait parce que je le vois presque tous les jours?

Ca me confond beaucoup. Merci pour votre conseil!

no.38

Angela,

Quand vous dites ' aux personnes qu'on connait bien', ca veut dire quoi? Le medicin que j'ai visite plusieur fois? Le barista qui me reconnait parce que je le vois presque tous les jours?

no.38

no.38, Jun 28, 2015 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Angela,

no.38

Jun 28, 15 12:06

Je ne  suis pas Angela mais je me permets de répondre en tant que professeur de français.

Vous ne pouvez pas tutoyer votre médecin sauf si c'est un ami ou s'il vous a dit 'on peut se tutoyer', il faut toujours un accord préablable pour le tutoiement , çe ne peut pas se faire de façon spontanée.C'est la règle.

Si la barmaid ou le barman que vous avez l'habitude de voir régulièrement ne vous tutoie pas, vous ne pouvez pas le faire spontanément, il faut lui dire 'on peut se tutoyer?'.

Le vouvoiement et le tutoiement constituent une  difficulté  pour les gens qui étudient le français, je le constate régulièrement.

Je pense qu'Angela sera d'accord avec moi.

Merci à Rich qui nous a donné l'occasion d'aborder ce sujet.

Je ne  suis pas Angela mais je me permets de répondre en tant que professeur de français.

Vous ne pouvez pas tutoyer votre médecin sauf si c'est un ami ou s'il vous a dit 'on peut se tutoyer', il faut toujours un accord préablable pour le tutoiement , çe ne peut pas se faire de façon spontanée.C'est la règle.

Si la barmaid ou le barman que vous avez l'habitude de voir régulièrement ne vous tutoie pas, vous ne pouvez pas le faire spontanément, il faut lui dire 'on peut se tutoyer?'.

Le vouvoiement et le tutoiement constituent une  difficulté  pour les gens qui étudient le français, je le constate régulièrement.

Je pense qu'Angela sera d'accord avec moi.

Merci à Rich qui nous a donné l'occasion d'aborder ce sujet.

Celia l, Jun 28, 2015 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Bonjour

je pense que votre médecin vous ne le " connaissez pas bien". Mais juste au niveau professionnel et pas amical.  Car si tel était le cas je suppose que vous vous tutoieriez déjà. Oui Celia je suis totalement d'accord avec toi.

Angela

Bonjour

je pense que votre médecin vous ne le " connaissez pas bien". Mais juste au niveau professionnel et pas amical.  Car si tel était le cas je suppose que vous vous tutoieriez déjà. Oui Celia je suis totalement d'accord avec toi.

Angela

angela a, Jun 28, 2015 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I'd like to thank Celia and Angela for their comments. The one about your doctor being a good point; when does it finally become acceptable to tutoyer them? I hope you can understand that as a native English speaker with the one form of 'you' my comments weren't meant to be inflammatory and so this thread came about through genuine curiosity – especially after trying to help someone and them solely focusing on a grammatical error instead of the act of helping them!

For Hay's comment, well, I’m not a native French speaker but I did find your example of sexually assaulting a woman being the same as calling them ‘you’ instead of ‘you’ somewhat extreme! I haven’t seen any ‘Tutoyer Crisis Centres’ in Switzerland or France or a register of ‘Known Tutoyer Offenders’.

Again, speaking from my experience, when I tried to learn Spanish and Czech and visited those countries often over a number of years, no one reached the feather-spitting stage of righteous indignation when I addressed them as ‘tú’ instead of ‘usted’ or ‘ty’ instead of ‘vy’. I did try to make an effort by using the correct form but was told don’t worry. This did help me gain confidence and allow me to feel comfortable in both languages relatively quickly.

I think they were more grateful and impressed I’d attempted to speak their respective languages than pouncing on a point of grammar and taking it as a personal attack on them. But again, thank you for your comments.

I'd like to thank Celia and Angela for their comments. The one about your doctor being a good point; when does it finally become acceptable to tutoyer them? I hope you can understand that as a native English speaker with the one form of 'you' my comments weren't meant to be inflammatory and so this thread came about through genuine curiosity – especially after trying to help someone and them solely focusing on a grammatical error instead of the act of helping them!

For Hay's comment, well, I’m not a native French speaker but I did find your example of sexually assaulting a woman being the same as calling them ‘you’ instead of ‘you’ somewhat extreme! I haven’t seen any ‘Tutoyer Crisis Centres’ in Switzerland or France or a register of ‘Known Tutoyer Offenders’.

Again, speaking from my experience, when I tried to learn Spanish and Czech and visited those countries often over a number of years, no one reached the feather-spitting stage of righteous indignation when I addressed them as ‘tú’ instead of ‘usted’ or ‘ty’ instead of ‘vy’. I did try to make an effort by using the correct form but was told don’t worry. This did help me gain confidence and allow me to feel comfortable in both languages relatively quickly.

I think they were more grateful and impressed I’d attempted to speak their respective languages than pouncing on a point of grammar and taking it as a personal attack on them. But again, thank you for your comments.

Rich, Jun 28, 2015 @ 13:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Tout ce qui est excessif est insignifiant - Talleyrand.

You seriously gotta get a life bellend. I've lived in your country and I'm glad I never met you ;)

For the record tutoiement typically is more common in Suisse romande, which is cute (here people are less formal in daily conversation, unlike France or Germany).

And no, for the sake of diversity, French or German grammar shouldn't be changed just to please the anglo-saxon cultural hegemony.

Tout ce qui est excessif est insignifiant - Talleyrand.

You seriously gotta get a life bellend. I've lived in your country and I'm glad I never met you ;)

For the record tutoiement typically is more common in Suisse romande, which is cute (here people are less formal in daily conversation, unlike France or Germany).

And no, for the sake of diversity, French or German grammar shouldn't be changed just to please the anglo-saxon cultural hegemony.

Adrien L, Jun 28, 2015 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Chère Angela,je te remercie de m'avoir tutoyé, je le prends comme une marque de sympathie!Wink

Chère Angela,je te remercie de m'avoir tutoyé, je le prends comme une marque de sympathie!Wink

Celia l, Jun 28, 2015 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Chère Angela, je te remercie de m'avoir tutoyée, je le prends comme une marque de sympathie!

Prof de français?

Chère Angela, je te remercie de m'avoir tutoyée, je le prends comme une marque de sympathie!

Prof de français?

Casuistik, Jun 28, 2015 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Oui désolée! Dans mon enthousiasme j'ai oublié le 'e', je fais mon mea culpa!

Celia l, Jun 28, 2015 @ 14:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Jun 28, 15 14:53

Ca nous arrive à tous de faire des fautes d' aurtograffesWink

Ca nous arrive à tous de faire des fautes d' aurtograffesWink

Michel D, Jun 28, 2015 @ 15:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Ça nous arrive à tous de faire des fautes d' aurtograffes

En effet...

Ça nous arrive à tous de faire des fautes d' aurtograffes

En effet...

Casuistik, Jun 28, 2015 @ 15:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Non pas prof  et le français n' est pas ma langue maternelle. Sur un forum j'utilise que le TU. Oui pour moi c'est plus amical. A +

Non pas prof  et le français n' est pas ma langue maternelle. Sur un forum j'utilise que le TU. Oui pour moi c'est plus amical. A +

angela a, Jun 28, 2015 @ 16:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Hello vous, tus and yous. 

Many of us find this thread interesting so I'd like to keep it open but please keep the conversation civil and please post in English so even those of us with less than perfect French can understand.  

Thanks

Oded

Many of us find this thread interesting so I'd like to keep it open but please keep the conversation civil and please post in English so even those of us with less than perfect French can understand.  

Thanks

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jun 28, 2015 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Asking if formal/informal french mistakes often get overly precious/snooty/icy responses... and then being responded to in formal french (both tone & format) & quotes from old french politicians ... is magical Laughing 

As Rich mentioned, it twins with confidence. What is the end goal? for non-natives to really try or to be hesitant?

I get the impression that there is a low level french sentiment that their language (&culture) is in constant risk of disappearing, becoming obsolete, or being replaced. Hence the movement to remove english words and to use the older french words or to make new french ones.

It is interesting though!

Asking if formal/informal french mistakes often get overly precious/snooty/icy responses... and then being responded to in formal french (both tone & format) & quotes from old french politicians ... is magical Laughing 

As Rich mentioned, it twins with confidence. What is the end goal? for non-natives to really try or to be hesitant?

I get the impression that there is a low level french sentiment that their language (&culture) is in constant risk of disappearing, becoming obsolete, or being replaced. Hence the movement to remove english words and to use the older french words or to make new french ones.

It is interesting though!

Farzam F, Jun 28, 2015 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Thanks

Oded

Jun 28, 15 17:09

So we need to retitle this post 'You and you'? Laughing

So we need to retitle this post 'You and you'? Laughing

Rich, Jun 28, 2015 @ 19:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I have been trying to unsuscribe to this thread all afternoon, but unfortunately keep receiving emails for each new post. Anyone else having the same issue?

I have been trying to unsuscribe to this thread all afternoon, but unfortunately keep receiving emails for each new post. Anyone else having the same issue?

hay_, Jun 28, 2015 @ 19:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Hi Hay, 

At the bottom of this thread is a small orange link that says Unsubscribe from this thread. If you click on it, you will get a pop up saying You have Unsubscribed from this thread. 

that that what you did? 

Oded

Hi Hay, 

At the bottom of this thread is a small orange link that says Unsubscribe from this thread. If you click on it, you will get a pop up saying You have Unsubscribed from this thread. 

that that what you did? 

Oded

SiteAdmin Oded, Jun 28, 2015 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

It's actually very SIMPLE:

- TU if it is someone ou know (family member, a friend, a child, outside of that there has to be a "sign", an agreement that you can "tutoyer".  It has got nothing to do with being formal or informal, it is a matter of respect, nothing else.  If you make a mistake, don't get offended because you "offended" someone by saying TU instead of VOUS. You could say "thank you, I have learnt something today" instead of "how rude is that persone by being offended"...

I will NEVER TUTOYER someone I have never met them before and who I am not comfortable with TUTOYER.

- VOUS if you do not know the person at all, or if the person who has a much higher status than you (you won't say TU to the BIG company boss unless it is a friend of yours), same as example above about the doctor, or anyone like this.  You won't say TU to the cashier desk at the supermarket (you do not know the person).  It's like in the U.K., people shake your hands when they do not know you, instead of kissing cheeks like they do in France or Switzerland.  Once they know you well, and they become your friends, they will give you a big hug.  Then it is similar to TUTOYER, you get "closer" with the person.

It can't be simpler.  We are lucky we do not have to deal with business matters or else in South East Asia as it gets much more complicated than that.  Trust me, you won't get you business deals there trying to use their language the way you might want to use the French language ;).

Bearing that in mind, Swiss people tend to like TUTOYER, In France, people don't and that is understandable.  I doubt you would say to the company's big boss:" Alright mate?"

Like Hay was saying:"it's like a violation of your intimacy".  No one can judge that, that is just the way it is :), take it or leave it, but don't judge something you can't understand or can't control... :)

It's actually very SIMPLE:

- TU if it is someone ou know (family member, a friend, a child, outside of that there has to be a "sign", an agreement that you can "tutoyer".  It has got nothing to do with being formal or informal, it is a matter of respect, nothing else.  If you make a mistake, don't get offended because you "offended" someone by saying TU instead of VOUS. You could say "thank you, I have learnt something today" instead of "how rude is that persone by being offended"...

I will NEVER TUTOYER someone I have never met them before and who I am not comfortable with TUTOYER.

- VOUS if you do not know the person at all, or if the person who has a much higher status than you (you won't say TU to the BIG company boss unless it is a friend of yours), same as example above about the doctor, or anyone like this.  You won't say TU to the cashier desk at the supermarket (you do not know the person).  It's like in the U.K., people shake your hands when they do not know you, instead of kissing cheeks like they do in France or Switzerland.  Once they know you well, and they become your friends, they will give you a big hug.  Then it is similar to TUTOYER, you get "closer" with the person.

It can't be simpler.  We are lucky we do not have to deal with business matters or else in South East Asia as it gets much more complicated than that.  Trust me, you won't get you business deals there trying to use their language the way you might want to use the French language ;).

Bearing that in mind, Swiss people tend to like TUTOYER, In France, people don't and that is understandable.  I doubt you would say to the company's big boss:" Alright mate?"

Like Hay was saying:"it's like a violation of your intimacy".  No one can judge that, that is just the way it is :), take it or leave it, but don't judge something you can't understand or can't control... :)

TreeOf Life, Jun 29, 2015 @ 00:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

And don’t let’s forget that, in France, “vous” is still used in many families.  A 70+ friend of mine always addresses his Mother as “vous”.  And I did likewise with my most of my own in-laws, as an acknowledgement of their and my status in the group.  So what if that made me an “outsider”. I was and still am me.

And don’t let’s forget that, in France, “vous” is still used in many families.  A 70+ friend of mine always addresses his Mother as “vous”.  And I did likewise with my most of my own in-laws, as an acknowledgement of their and my status in the group.  So what if that made me an “outsider”. I was and still am me.

Ritchie, Jun 29, 2015 @ 05:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Thanks

Oded

Jun 28, 15 17:09

Thanks to everyone for their comments:

So to summarise in line with Oded’s request all posts are in English this is how it goes:

You should only be used for family members, friends and children. It is unforgivable to call someone you’ve just met, ‘you’ unless they give you (sorry I meant you) permission. Failing to observe this is one of the more heinous crimes imaginable!

Otherwise, use ‘you’ for all other people you don’t know, including your boss, old people, your doctor, etc. Should you at any point be unsure whether to use you or you then you should just default to you, which is safer as you’ll be hedging your (Oh Sorry! I meant your) bets.

Enjoy your (Oh Jesus! Not again!! Apologies!) - your week! Laughing

Thanks to everyone for their comments:

So to summarise in line with Oded’s request all posts are in English this is how it goes:

You should only be used for family members, friends and children. It is unforgivable to call someone you’ve just met, ‘you’ unless they give you (sorry I meant you) permission. Failing to observe this is one of the more heinous crimes imaginable!

Otherwise, use ‘you’ for all other people you don’t know, including your boss, old people, your doctor, etc. Should you at any point be unsure whether to use you or you then you should just default to you, which is safer as you’ll be hedging your (Oh Sorry! I meant your) bets.

Enjoy your (Oh Jesus! Not again!! Apologies!) - your week! Laughing

Rich, Jun 29, 2015 @ 10:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

So, if I get it right... Wearing a tutu...

So, if I get it right... Wearing a tutu...

Casuistik, Jun 29, 2015 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

...and... wearing a vousvous...

Casuistik, Jun 29, 2015 @ 12:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Whereas back in Rome......

If you attempted to help an old lady in Italy and spoke basic Anglo-Italian in an attempt to do so, you'd be taken home to meet Mama, introduced to the family like a long lost friend, offered some wine and garlic bread and married off to their youngest before you could say "Mamma Mia"!

Just an observation.....Cool

If you attempted to help an old lady in Italy and spoke basic Anglo-Italian in an attempt to do so, you'd be taken home to meet Mama, introduced to the family like a long lost friend, offered some wine and garlic bread and married off to their youngest before you could say "Mamma Mia"!

Carolyn C, Jun 29, 2015 @ 12:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Jun 29, 15 12:03

Brilliant! Laughing

Brilliant! Laughing

Rich, Jun 29, 2015 @ 12:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Jun 29, 15 12:27

Just to play devil's advocate, is it really the case in other languages would be more forgiving or would it elicit the same reaction such as in Italian, Russian or German... I was going to say if you Dich-ed someone but that could be miscontrued. Wink

Just to play devil's advocate, is it really the case in other languages would be more forgiving or would it elicit the same reaction such as in Italian, Russian or German... I was going to say if you Dich-ed someone but that could be miscontrued. Wink

Rich, Jun 29, 2015 @ 12:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

I would never feel offended if someone I've never met before "tutoie" me (That's so weird!!). If coming from a non native speaker, it will make me smile... if coming from another native speaker, I would be surprised, but no big deal.

I do however like to use the form "vous" even with close friends, there is something elegant and refined in its use... An old boyfriend and I started our relationship with "vous"... and somehow it became so natural we could never switched to "tu" after... and it is still the case today when we talk, many years after.

I know I'm weird... go figure Innocent

I would never feel offended if someone I've never met before "tutoie" me (That's so weird!!). If coming from a non native speaker, it will make me smile... if coming from another native speaker, I would be surprised, but no big deal.

I do however like to use the form "vous" even with close friends, there is something elegant and refined in its use... An old boyfriend and I started our relationship with "vous"... and somehow it became so natural we could never switched to "tu" after... and it is still the case today when we talk, many years after.

I know I'm weird... go figure Innocent

Phoebe, Jul 3, 2015 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

I did see an error in the new Terminator movie trailer when Sarah Connor saves the life of Kyle Reese as he's about to be killed by a T-1000 Terminator from the future. She says to him, "Viens avec moi si tu veux vivre." Stupidly, he just does what she says, whereas he should have said, "Comment osez-vous !!! On se connaît???!!!" Laughing

I did see an error in the new Terminator movie trailer when Sarah Connor saves the life of Kyle Reese as he's about to be killed by a T-1000 Terminator from the future. She says to him, "Viens avec moi si tu veux vivre." Stupidly, he just does what she says, whereas he should have said, "Comment osez-vous !!! On se connaît???!!!" Laughing

Rich, Jul 3, 2015 @ 21:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

Jul 3, 15 21:17

This is worthy of a Friday funny.

This is worthy of a Friday funny.

Ritchie, Jul 3, 2015 @ 21:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Rich, some of my friends in Compton, South Central LA/Watts, refer to each other as "Ni----".

Just try addressing one of them that way without knowing them and you would be taught a lesson you will never forget about the different meaning of words when used between people who are close to one another and when used by strangers. That may be a bit extreme, but I hope it makes the point.

If a perfect stranger from another country asked  your mother, can I help you "dear", or "honey", or "babe" she may not take it well, and maybe you wouldn't either, if you were there, and we would agree that it is just so obviously inappropriate. But, why, really, does that seem obvious, if it isn't because it is embedded in the culture?

If I offer help to a "more mature gentleman" in a London train by saying, "hey dude" or "hey bro" want me to help you carry your shit? Might he take offense?

You and you aside, there are rules about the use of the english language during verbal engagement with strangers and with people with whom we are familiar, or don't you ever address strangers by saying "excuse me madam, would you like some help" or "excuse me sir" as opposed to "shit man, let me give you a hand?" as you would tell a friend.

Frankly, your addressing the lady at the train by using "tu" may have been an honest cultural mistake, but your reacting to her culturally reflexive response by saying "do it yourself then" says loads about your inherent manners.

As you have probably experienced, and as confirmed by posters in this thread, most francophones are understanding and will let it pass, though they may be less so when struggling with heavy luggage. What was your excuse?

And would you please stop interpreting the lack of comformity of other languages and cultural norms of non anglos as some sort of bizarre deviation? Why should francophones scrap the tu and vous, instead of anglophones establishing a disitinction? Should we also give up the metric system and use stones and pounds and inches and miles and all these highly logical superior medieval terms?

Rich, some of my friends in Compton, South Central LA/Watts, refer to each other as "Ni----".

Just try addressing one of them that way without knowing them and you would be taught a lesson you will never forget about the different meaning of words when used between people who are close to one another and when used by strangers. That may be a bit extreme, but I hope it makes the point.

If a perfect stranger from another country asked  your mother, can I help you "dear", or "honey", or "babe" she may not take it well, and maybe you wouldn't either, if you were there, and we would agree that it is just so obviously inappropriate. But, why, really, does that seem obvious, if it isn't because it is embedded in the culture?

If I offer help to a "more mature gentleman" in a London train by saying, "hey dude" or "hey bro" want me to help you carry your shit? Might he take offense?

You and you aside, there are rules about the use of the english language during verbal engagement with strangers and with people with whom we are familiar, or don't you ever address strangers by saying "excuse me madam, would you like some help" or "excuse me sir" as opposed to "shit man, let me give you a hand?" as you would tell a friend.

Frankly, your addressing the lady at the train by using "tu" may have been an honest cultural mistake, but your reacting to her culturally reflexive response by saying "do it yourself then" says loads about your inherent manners.

As you have probably experienced, and as confirmed by posters in this thread, most francophones are understanding and will let it pass, though they may be less so when struggling with heavy luggage. What was your excuse?

And would you please stop interpreting the lack of comformity of other languages and cultural norms of non anglos as some sort of bizarre deviation? Why should francophones scrap the tu and vous, instead of anglophones establishing a disitinction? Should we also give up the metric system and use stones and pounds and inches and miles and all these highly logical superior medieval terms?

JR M, Jul 3, 2015 @ 23:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Jul 3, 15 23:20

Hi JR M,

Thanks for your post. A lot of very well reasoned points in there which have honestly given me food for thought. As I wrote in an earlier post, my excuse was my mother was dying and I was on my way to see her for what I knew would be the last time. Me telling an old woman to 'do it herself' for getting what appeared to be a large case down would not have been something my mother would have approved of and no, it wasn't exactly my finest hour but I guess I wasn't thinking like I normally would that day.

I'd just like to clarify a couple of points; the first thing I wrote about the article on tu and vous was 'it shouldn't be scrapped and quite rightly so'. English - to the best of my knowledge - is the only language which doesn't make any distinction between 'yous' and so is the anomoly, not the others. So yes, it is up to anglophones to learn to make the distinction.

Also at no point did I make any suggestion that every country should adopt the imperial system of weights and measures as let's face it, the metric system is far more logical so to be honest there was no need to make that incorrect assumption.

As I have written before, this thread was not intended to be an anti-French rant (if it was my French wife would kill me!) but just to highlight a point of the French language which can be a stumbling block for a lot of anglophones to handle. That's all. Again, thanks for a lot of the points you made.

Hi JR M,

Thanks for your post. A lot of very well reasoned points in there which have honestly given me food for thought. As I wrote in an earlier post, my excuse was my mother was dying and I was on my way to see her for what I knew would be the last time. Me telling an old woman to 'do it herself' for getting what appeared to be a large case down would not have been something my mother would have approved of and no, it wasn't exactly my finest hour but I guess I wasn't thinking like I normally would that day.

I'd just like to clarify a couple of points; the first thing I wrote about the article on tu and vous was 'it shouldn't be scrapped and quite rightly so'. English - to the best of my knowledge - is the only language which doesn't make any distinction between 'yous' and so is the anomoly, not the others. So yes, it is up to anglophones to learn to make the distinction.

Also at no point did I make any suggestion that every country should adopt the imperial system of weights and measures as let's face it, the metric system is far more logical so to be honest there was no need to make that incorrect assumption.

As I have written before, this thread was not intended to be an anti-French rant (if it was my French wife would kill me!) but just to highlight a point of the French language which can be a stumbling block for a lot of anglophones to handle. That's all. Again, thanks for a lot of the points you made.

Rich, Jul 4, 2015 @ 00:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

JR I hope you are sourcing these straw men from Greece to help their dire situation.

To compare the N word to Tu is absurd to the point of hilarity. And actually reinforces rich's point.

If you tried to help someone in london, older or younger, and said hey bro or dude, you wouldnt get a look of disdain. I've seen it many times because london is ridiculous multicultural. They would almost certainly take it pleasantly or neutrally, because you know... you were trying to help. Because the help is the important part, not the grammatical errors. 

JR I hope you are sourcing these straw men from Greece to help their dire situation.

To compare the N word to Tu is absurd to the point of hilarity. And actually reinforces rich's point.

If you tried to help someone in london, older or younger, and said hey bro or dude, you wouldnt get a look of disdain. I've seen it many times because london is ridiculous multicultural. They would almost certainly take it pleasantly or neutrally, because you know... you were trying to help. Because the help is the important part, not the grammatical errors. 

Farzam F, Jul 4, 2015 @ 04:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Let it be their problem and not yours. Many francophones (esp. the actual French themselves are renowned for their liguistic arrogance and narrow mindedness. There it is. Why? The rigidities of the laguage contributes and a big chip on their shoulder concerning the loss of primacy for the French language adds sauce. I use tu nearly all the time and if I offend someone?... Casse toi.

Let it be their problem and not yours. Many francophones (esp. the actual French themselves are renowned for their liguistic arrogance and narrow mindedness. There it is. Why? The rigidities of the laguage contributes and a big chip on their shoulder concerning the loss of primacy for the French language adds sauce. I use tu nearly all the time and if I offend someone?... Casse toi.

Jimmy F, Jul 7, 2015 @ 21:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

You seem to forget that babies are born speaking French and therefore their righteoys indignation is perfectly right.

You seem to forget that babies are born speaking French and therefore their righteoys indignation is perfectly right.

Jimmy F, Jul 7, 2015 @ 21:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

It may be good for you JR M to contemplate the incessant and irreverible decline of your language internationally. I do, often, and it gives me great pleasure.

It may be good for you JR M to contemplate the incessant and irreverible decline of your language internationally. I do, often, and it gives me great pleasure.

Jimmy F, Jul 7, 2015 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
44 Replies | 4736 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form