Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > US Citizens working/living in Switzerland : Advice

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
US Citizens working/living in Switzerland : Advice

I start my new job here in Geneva this coming week and I've read up briefly on the complications U.S citizens abroad have with the new tax laws being passed. 

I have an appointment to open up a bank account with UBS later today and I can already tell it's quite tedious since they apparently have a "U.S Team" within UBS.

Anywho, any current US citizens have any advice, recommendations, tips on how to deal with this new law? I reside in Geneva by the way.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

I start my new job here in Geneva this coming week and I've read up briefly on the complications U.S citizens abroad have with the new tax laws being passed. 

I have an appointment to open up a bank account with UBS later today and I can already tell it's quite tedious since they apparently have a "U.S Team" within UBS.

Anywho, any current US citizens have any advice, recommendations, tips on how to deal with this new law? I reside in Geneva by the way.

All help is appreciated!

Thanks!

CH KAug 22, 2014 @ 13:25
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 984 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: US Citizens working/living in Switzerland : Advice
Post 1

You can say thank you to the US government.

I was told an experience of a US citizen who could open a bank account only at Banque Cantonale de Genève. He was rejected in all other banks. Also he could open this bank account only for the purpose of receiving his salary.

I was told an experience of a US citizen who could open a bank account only at Banque Cantonale de Genève. He was rejected in all other banks. Also he could open this bank account only for the purpose of receiving his salary.

Alexandre P, Aug 22, 2014 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Aug 22, 14 16:50

You mean, we can thank all the millionaires that use Switzerland as a tax haven to hide money. 

Anyways,

I just opened one today at UBS albeit a 1.5 hr process. The agent/rep in charge Julien was fantastic and extremely courteous. Highly recommend him.

You mean, we can thank all the millionaires that use Switzerland as a tax haven to hide money. 

Anyways,

I just opened one today at UBS albeit a 1.5 hr process. The agent/rep in charge Julien was fantastic and extremely courteous. Highly recommend him.

CH K, Aug 22, 2014 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

But yes, I can only use it with certain limitations.

1) I must close the account once I leave Switzerland.

2) I cannot make any investments through UBS. 

But yes, I can only use it with certain limitations.

1) I must close the account once I leave Switzerland.

2) I cannot make any investments through UBS. 

CH K, Aug 22, 2014 @ 17:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 984 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form