Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Violation of privacy

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Violation of privacy

Dear all,

I responded to a forum posting yesterday about racism in nightclubs in CH.  I was trying to highlight fact that the nightclub scene is difficult here in general.

I received an email this morning from the person posting the forum thread saying that he will post my comments on his FB page, ‘if I don’t mind’. I reply to him immediately saying absolutely not.  It turns out that the person had posted my comments anyway, assuming that just because other people have no issue with him copying/pasting, I shouldn’t either!

When he read my response to his email, he replied to me saying he had removed the FB post, thus giving me additional proof that he posted my comment on his FB page anyway-without me agreeing to this.

What I choose to write on glocals forums does not give any other glocal member the right to copy and paste my comments on any other website/FB page, unless there is consent.

Since when did ‘If you don’t mind…’ become... ‘I actually don’t care if you mind’….

Have at least the decency and the respect of forum posters/commentators, to check with them first, before taking action.

Any thoughts?

The text you are quoting:

Dear all,

I responded to a forum posting yesterday about racism in nightclubs in CH.  I was trying to highlight fact that the nightclub scene is difficult here in general.

I received an email this morning from the person posting the forum thread saying that he will post my comments on his FB page, ‘if I don’t mind’. I reply to him immediately saying absolutely not.  It turns out that the person had posted my comments anyway, assuming that just because other people have no issue with him copying/pasting, I shouldn’t either!

When he read my response to his email, he replied to me saying he had removed the FB post, thus giving me additional proof that he posted my comment on his FB page anyway-without me agreeing to this.

What I choose to write on glocals forums does not give any other glocal member the right to copy and paste my comments on any other website/FB page, unless there is consent.

Since when did ‘If you don’t mind…’ become... ‘I actually don’t care if you mind’….

Have at least the decency and the respect of forum posters/commentators, to check with them first, before taking action.

Any thoughts?

divagirlMar 2, 2015 @ 10:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 1208 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Violation of privacy
Post 1

Dear all,

Any thoughts?

Mar 2, 15 10:36

I for one aggree with you ...just common courtesy isn't it -  Or has that gone these days ??

I for one aggree with you ...just common courtesy isn't it -  Or has that gone these days ??

Jeffery S, Mar 2, 2015 @ 11:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Posting to a thread in Glocals is public.. You may as well write it on the side of a bus and drive it around town.

Only caveat is that only logged in users can see your name - or glocals name.

In my opinion, anything you post to any forum should should be considered public, you leave any privacy at the login screen :)  Expect no privacy on a forum - that's why you have a made up name.

It's a slightly different thing though somebody taking your (already public) post and using it on their FB page, that's more copyright than privacy.. or something

Posting to a thread in Glocals is public.. You may as well write it on the side of a bus and drive it around town.

Only caveat is that only logged in users can see your name - or glocals name.

In my opinion, anything you post to any forum should should be considered public, you leave any privacy at the login screen :)  Expect no privacy on a forum - that's why you have a made up name.

It's a slightly different thing though somebody taking your (already public) post and using it on their FB page, that's more copyright than privacy.. or something

John H, Mar 2, 2015 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

This seems to be a classic example of why my OH, formerly an IT Manager, has expressly said that neither of us should belong to, or submit remarks to any social networking site whatsoever. If we are not members, we cannot be in the same unfortunate situation as your find yourself. Maybe we are missing out? But I think not.

This seems to be a classic example of why my OH, formerly an IT Manager, has expressly said that neither of us should belong to, or submit remarks to any social networking site whatsoever. If we are not members, we cannot be in the same unfortunate situation as your find yourself. Maybe we are missing out? But I think not.

sheila c, Mar 2, 2015 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Could this be a misunderstanding at all?

For example, if someone asks me: "do you mind if I borrow your pen?" and I answer: "Absolutely not", it would mean that I am giving permission to the person to borrow my pen?

Could this be a misunderstanding at all?

For example, if someone asks me: "do you mind if I borrow your pen?" and I answer: "Absolutely not", it would mean that I am giving permission to the person to borrow my pen?

marieh, Mar 2, 2015 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

@John H

I have no issues posting here on glocals if i CHOOSE to...where I have the problem, is that the person writes a fly by night 'If you don't mind' comment...does NOT WAIT for my response to hear if I do mind or not...does a copy /paste of my message as well as my user name...and posts it on their FB.

First issue is...you call it copyright..I call it privacy..but Ok we're saying the same thing with different words.....In the sense that it is 'private' to glocals (although public (without the world seeing - divagirl unless they are logged in and members of glocals)

Second issue is...if a person can ask a question or state a fact such as 'if you dont mind...' then have the courtesy to wait for the AMSWER coming from the poster before assuming that becasue others didn't see an issue with it, the rule stands for all.

As Johnny Carson used to say...NEVER ASSUME...it makes an ASS out of U and ME :-)

@John H

I have no issues posting here on glocals if i CHOOSE to...where I have the problem, is that the person writes a fly by night 'If you don't mind' comment...does NOT WAIT for my response to hear if I do mind or not...does a copy /paste of my message as well as my user name...and posts it on their FB.

First issue is...you call it copyright..I call it privacy..but Ok we're saying the same thing with different words.....In the sense that it is 'private' to glocals (although public (without the world seeing - divagirl unless they are logged in and members of glocals)

Second issue is...if a person can ask a question or state a fact such as 'if you dont mind...' then have the courtesy to wait for the AMSWER coming from the poster before assuming that becasue others didn't see an issue with it, the rule stands for all.

As Johnny Carson used to say...NEVER ASSUME...it makes an ASS out of U and ME :-)

divagirl, Mar 2, 2015 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Well its your fault

U just said "absolutely not".

Meaning you dont mind him posting it on FB

So he did nothing wrong. And actually showed he was very respectful (by removing the post once he realised that you didnt express yourself correctly). 

Also, I imagine that this guy cares about racism issues ... as he found your comment interesting enough to quote it on FB...

--> I think you owe him an apology

Well its your fault

U just said "absolutely not".

Meaning you dont mind him posting it on FB

So he did nothing wrong. And actually showed he was very respectful (by removing the post once he realised that you didnt express yourself correctly). 

Also, I imagine that this guy cares about racism issues ... as he found your comment interesting enough to quote it on FB...

--> I think you owe him an apology

Manal, Mar 2, 2015 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

@MarieH

Have you been watching The Flintstones?

Sorry, but I don't agree with you...especially in your example of a pointed question about borrwoing a pencil.

If someone asks me out on a date to the movies...and I respond Absolutely not....Then that person should not be thinking absolutely not I want to go out to the movies with them. LOL

Boulder's rules ! LOL

@MarieH

Have you been watching The Flintstones?

Sorry, but I don't agree with you...especially in your example of a pointed question about borrwoing a pencil.

If someone asks me out on a date to the movies...and I respond Absolutely not....Then that person should not be thinking absolutely not I want to go out to the movies with them. LOL

Boulder's rules ! LOL

divagirl, Mar 2, 2015 @ 13:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

@Manal

Actually Manal, I responded with a 'NO NO and NO' which I paraphrased in my original posting as for the sake of the example of Absoltuely not.

There was no interpretation for absolutely not (notice the missing 'quotes')

He never should have posted it in the first place if he had not received the answer from me (which is what happened!)...which is the part that he did wrong...i.e not waiting for an answer from me on whether i minded or not.  It shows a compelte lack of disrespect towards fellow posters.

Racism is one thing...not getting into a nightclub is another...and it doesn't mean it boils down to that...thats what my comment was referring to...

@Manal

Actually Manal, I responded with a 'NO NO and NO' which I paraphrased in my original posting as for the sake of the example of Absoltuely not.

There was no interpretation for absolutely not (notice the missing 'quotes')

He never should have posted it in the first place if he had not received the answer from me (which is what happened!)...which is the part that he did wrong...i.e not waiting for an answer from me on whether i minded or not.  It shows a compelte lack of disrespect towards fellow posters.

Racism is one thing...not getting into a nightclub is another...and it doesn't mean it boils down to that...thats what my comment was referring to...

divagirl, Mar 2, 2015 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

We're playing with English a bit here ..  

If I say to you "Do you mind if I punch you in the face?"  and you say "Absolutely not" 

What's coming next?  Yes, a punch in the face Kiss

We're playing with English a bit here ..  

If I say to you "Do you mind if I punch you in the face?"  and you say "Absolutely not" 

What's coming next?  Yes, a punch in the face Kiss

John H, Mar 2, 2015 @ 14:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

@John

LOL, Look I get it..but imagine if a teenager had just responded with NOT...excluding the Absolutely..he would have had a punch land in his face....LOL

As I mentioend above, my answer to him was a flat out 'NO NO and NO', which I tranlsated for the sake of keeping it short..to an Absolutely not as I mentioend above.

and this leaves no room for interpretation. :-)

he has since sent an apology...so no worries, apology accepted...My posting a thread in the General Forum was to get thoughts and a healthy discussion going on the bigger picture of common courtesy, respect and etiquette in this Forum world :-)  Not to mention that if someone asks a question, they should at least wait for an answer....

I wasn't looking for accusations nor apologies...

having said this, Does it sound clearer? ;-)

@John

LOL, Look I get it..but imagine if a teenager had just responded with NOT...excluding the Absolutely..he would have had a punch land in his face....LOL

As I mentioend above, my answer to him was a flat out 'NO NO and NO', which I tranlsated for the sake of keeping it short..to an Absolutely not as I mentioend above.

and this leaves no room for interpretation. :-)

he has since sent an apology...so no worries, apology accepted...My posting a thread in the General Forum was to get thoughts and a healthy discussion going on the bigger picture of common courtesy, respect and etiquette in this Forum world :-)  Not to mention that if someone asks a question, they should at least wait for an answer....

I wasn't looking for accusations nor apologies...

having said this, Does it sound clearer? ;-)

divagirl, Mar 2, 2015 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

the title you used for your post on this thread is misleading. you said the title is violation of privacy. the guy didn't violate your privacy by taking your post on 1 public site and reposting it on another public site. 

then you said your issue is actually that he didn't understand your english exactly, or reposted your comment without being polite enough about it. if that's your real issue, the title should be something like "unpolite guy". 

i dont think there's any privacy issue here. if you post a comment on glocals or facebook or linkedin, don't be surprised if people report your comment. 

the title you used for your post on this thread is misleading. you said the title is violation of privacy. the guy didn't violate your privacy by taking your post on 1 public site and reposting it on another public site. 

then you said your issue is actually that he didn't understand your english exactly, or reposted your comment without being polite enough about it. if that's your real issue, the title should be something like "unpolite guy". 

i dont think there's any privacy issue here. if you post a comment on glocals or facebook or linkedin, don't be surprised if people report your comment. 

Mark Spencer, Mar 2, 2015 @ 16:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Then the morale to the thread is:

Never ever put the same picture on FB or on Glocals as some unscrupulous person might run a picture/face recognition software and find out your real ID. The next breach could well be ID theft, not so far away

Then the morale to the thread is:

Never ever put the same picture on FB or on Glocals as some unscrupulous person might run a picture/face recognition software and find out your real ID. The next breach could well be ID theft, not so far away

Milord, Mar 2, 2015 @ 17:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Anyway, the guy was trying to prove that there is indeed racism in nightclubs which is totally true.

Many bars and clubs think its not good for their image to have black clientele, lets be honest

Its not that it makes him "feel better" to put the fault on racism as you told him. But when a situation become so repetitive I guess one is right to start questioning the real reason behind it.

Anyway, the guy was trying to prove that there is indeed racism in nightclubs which is totally true.

Many bars and clubs think its not good for their image to have black clientele, lets be honest

Its not that it makes him "feel better" to put the fault on racism as you told him. But when a situation become so repetitive I guess one is right to start questioning the real reason behind it.

Manal, Mar 2, 2015 @ 17:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Divagirl - I think you are right to feel aggrieved.

The fact that forum comments can be viewed by the general public does not make them public property.  The generally followed (and often strictly enforced) rule on internet forums is that you must obtain permission before reusing any material from another source and you must give credit to and/or name the source.

Apart from this, it's just good manners and common sense, especially when the subject concered is potentially inflammatory and any comments taken out of context (e.g. without the preceding comments) could be misleading.

Divagirl - I think you are right to feel aggrieved.

The fact that forum comments can be viewed by the general public does not make them public property.  The generally followed (and often strictly enforced) rule on internet forums is that you must obtain permission before reusing any material from another source and you must give credit to and/or name the source.

Apart from this, it's just good manners and common sense, especially when the subject concered is potentially inflammatory and any comments taken out of context (e.g. without the preceding comments) could be misleading.

Andy C, Mar 2, 2015 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

I can understand you not wanting what you've written here to be posted elsewhere but you really dont have a say in where you're quoted once you've said something publically.

One of the best bits of advice about emailing and posting is to never send anything you wouldn't want to wear on a t-shirt.

I can understand you not wanting what you've written here to be posted elsewhere but you really dont have a say in where you're quoted once you've said something publically.

One of the best bits of advice about emailing and posting is to never send anything you wouldn't want to wear on a t-shirt.

Ray C, Mar 3, 2015 @ 00:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

If I wrote on Facebook that John H is a total c*$t for what he wrote here on Glocals and quoted his post, I wouldnt ask his permission as it´s my freedom of speech. However, I wont, as I agree with him.

You can quote who ever you like,if the information is public. Most forums, like this one, can be accessed by anyone. Thats why it is important to think about what you write online. It´s crossing a border when your personal details are mentioned and it could have (dangerous) concequences for you.

What Andy writes is nice and all, but there is far less people online acting according to etiquette, than those we already have to deal with in person everyday.

If I wrote on Facebook that John H is a total c*$t for what he wrote here on Glocals and quoted his post, I wouldnt ask his permission as it´s my freedom of speech. However, I wont, as I agree with him.

You can quote who ever you like,if the information is public. Most forums, like this one, can be accessed by anyone. Thats why it is important to think about what you write online. It´s crossing a border when your personal details are mentioned and it could have (dangerous) concequences for you.

What Andy writes is nice and all, but there is far less people online acting according to etiquette, than those we already have to deal with in person everyday.

ThomasNL, Mar 3, 2015 @ 01:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Just to clarify....there are tens of thousands of members on this site, anyone of whom could have used Twitter, Facebook or a blog to redirect attention to your comments. And you're vilifying the one person who had the courtesy to tell you that he did it. 

Just to clarify....there are tens of thousands of members on this site, anyone of whom could have used Twitter, Facebook or a blog to redirect attention to your comments. And you're vilifying the one person who had the courtesy to tell you that he did it. 

no.38, Mar 3, 2015 @ 07:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

@no.38
In case you missed it, my post #10 says

'....was to get thoughts and a healthy discussion going on the bigger picture of common courtesy, respect and etiquette in this Forum world :-)  Not to mention that if someone asks a question, they should at least wait for an answer....'

@no.38
In case you missed it, my post #10 says

'....was to get thoughts and a healthy discussion going on the bigger picture of common courtesy, respect and etiquette in this Forum world :-)  Not to mention that if someone asks a question, they should at least wait for an answer....'

divagirl, Mar 3, 2015 @ 07:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

@ray
some of my T-shirts have said far worst things :-)

@andy
Thanks..that was my point exactly..He kinda asked for permission in his 'if you don't mind'..but didn't wait for the answer and just posted it.  

@ThomasNL
I  agree about with what you say on public postings and especially about online etiquette vs real life etiquette and I am sensitive to it.  As the famous quote/proverb says: La liberté des uns s'arrete la ou commence celle des autres which in English translates to One person's freedom ends where another's begins...as in this case..Mine stopped where his began :-)

thanks all for your feedback. Have a nice day :-)

@ray
some of my T-shirts have said far worst things :-)

@andy
Thanks..that was my point exactly..He kinda asked for permission in his 'if you don't mind'..but didn't wait for the answer and just posted it.  

@ThomasNL
I  agree about with what you say on public postings and especially about online etiquette vs real life etiquette and I am sensitive to it.  As the famous quote/proverb says: La liberté des uns s'arrete la ou commence celle des autres which in English translates to One person's freedom ends where another's begins...as in this case..Mine stopped where his began :-)

thanks all for your feedback. Have a nice day :-)

divagirl, Mar 3, 2015 @ 07:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

This thread needs  some photos of your t-shirts!!! :)

Ray C, Mar 3, 2015 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Mar 3, 15 20:41

But only if divagirl is modelling them?

And what if they then get reposted elsewhere?

But only if divagirl is modelling them?

And what if they then get reposted elsewhere?

Ritchie, Mar 3, 2015 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 1208 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form