Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > Visa predicament

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Visa predicament

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience applying for a type D visa from the US. Since I live in Illinois, I have to apply by mail to the embassy in DC. I'm staying in Switzerland for a year to work at CERN and I need to be there on June 21st. I'm concerned about sending my passport in the mail to the embassy if it'll take them 8-10 weeks to process my application and return it. Anyone have experience with the processing times? Or suggestions as to what I should do? Thanks.

Shannon

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has experience applying for a type D visa from the US. Since I live in Illinois, I have to apply by mail to the embassy in DC. I'm staying in Switzerland for a year to work at CERN and I need to be there on June 21st. I'm concerned about sending my passport in the mail to the embassy if it'll take them 8-10 weeks to process my application and return it. Anyone have experience with the processing times? Or suggestions as to what I should do? Thanks.

Shannon

Shannon TMay 27, 2015 @ 23:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 813 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Visa predicament
Post 1

Hi Shannon,

I have no first hand experience with this, since I didn't need a Schengen Visa, but I would say that sending them your passport this close to the date you have to be in Geneva is not a very good idea...

I would advise you to contact the User's Office at CERN or the secretariat of the experiment you'll be working for (if this applies) to ask if they have any useful information for you. You can also try asking these questions in the Young@CERN fb group: it's filled with non-europeans who probably had to do similar things to what you should do now.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hi Shannon,

I have no first hand experience with this, since I didn't need a Schengen Visa, but I would say that sending them your passport this close to the date you have to be in Geneva is not a very good idea...

I would advise you to contact the User's Office at CERN or the secretariat of the experiment you'll be working for (if this applies) to ask if they have any useful information for you. You can also try asking these questions in the Young@CERN fb group: it's filled with non-europeans who probably had to do similar things to what you should do now.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Francisco Costa, May 28, 2015 @ 01:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Shannon,

I'm in the midst of applying for my Type D visa as well, but at least I am based in Washington DC. Ask the embassy if CERN is on their list of organizations with agreements for expedited processing times. The organization that I will work is on that list and the processing time is reduced to only 10 business days. 

Shanna

Hi Shannon,

I'm in the midst of applying for my Type D visa as well, but at least I am based in Washington DC. Ask the embassy if CERN is on their list of organizations with agreements for expedited processing times. The organization that I will work is on that list and the processing time is reduced to only 10 business days. 

Shanna

Shanna P, May 28, 2015 @ 12:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi,

Thank you for your replies! I finally got in touch with the embassy in Washington and they said that the processing time for CERN visas are only one week. So they must have one of those expedited agreements, and everything should work out. Yay!

Shannon

Hi,

Thank you for your replies! I finally got in touch with the embassy in Washington and they said that the processing time for CERN visas are only one week. So they must have one of those expedited agreements, and everything should work out. Yay!

Shannon

Shannon T, May 28, 2015 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 813 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form