Login or Sign Up

Global Forums > General > car battery dead

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
car battery dead

Hi everyone,

I left my car parked outside with the small interior lights switched on for over a week and my battery is dead now. Calling car service companywould go beyond my budget and buying a charger and carrying the battery to my flat and back (I´m parking few bus stops away) would be a lot of hassle I wanted to ask if there are people with a charger willing to help me charge my battery, or if anyone knows of a more convenient but affordable way of charging my battery again? Any help or advice would very appreciated anyway.

With a wish of a nice weekend to everyone on this forum,

Jiri

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone,

I left my car parked outside with the small interior lights switched on for over a week and my battery is dead now. Calling car service companywould go beyond my budget and buying a charger and carrying the battery to my flat and back (I´m parking few bus stops away) would be a lot of hassle I wanted to ask if there are people with a charger willing to help me charge my battery, or if anyone knows of a more convenient but affordable way of charging my battery again? Any help or advice would very appreciated anyway.

Jiri

Jiri KOct 31, 2014 @ 23:14
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 2373 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: car battery dead
Post 1

call TCS, make sure you singup for their membership before calling them and it will cost you around 87chf and you can use their service also for next whole year.

call TCS, make sure you singup for their membership before calling them and it will cost you around 87chf and you can use their service also for next whole year.

waqas s, Nov 1, 2014 @ 00:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Ask someone with a car and "jumper cables" to come and start your car. once started, the battery will recharge while driving. ( at least an hour to be sure ). by the way, this is what the breakdown service would do or the TCS.

Ask someone with a car and "jumper cables" to come and start your car. once started, the battery will recharge while driving. ( at least an hour to be sure ). by the way, this is what the breakdown service would do or the TCS.

epicure, Nov 1, 2014 @ 09:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi everyone,

Jiri

Oct 31, 14 23:14

"a lot of hassle"?  Compared to not having a working car? Or compared to joining TCS, calling them out, waiting for them to show up, driving around for an hour then probably having to buy a new battery anyway?

Why not just make the small amount of effort to take the battery home and charge it?

An "intelligent" charger will restore the battery in a way that makes it likely to last for a while (depending on its age).  Jump-starting it from another vehicle will work temporarily but may mean that you are in this situation again soon.

"a lot of hassle"?  Compared to not having a working car? Or compared to joining TCS, calling them out, waiting for them to show up, driving around for an hour then probably having to buy a new battery anyway?

Why not just make the small amount of effort to take the battery home and charge it?

An "intelligent" charger will restore the battery in a way that makes it likely to last for a while (depending on its age).  Jump-starting it from another vehicle will work temporarily but may mean that you are in this situation again soon.

Andy C, Nov 1, 2014 @ 12:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thanks very much for all your advices. I've heard of TCS but thought there will be surcharge for everything. I might go with this option for now and buy charger later if needed. I usually use car for longer distances and hence battery should recharge on a regular basis. Also I recently returned from vacation where I drove over 2000 km. So the battery was meant to be fully charged but leaving indoor lights on over a week was perhaps enough to make it dead.

With a lot of hassle I meant to buy a charger and then get the battery and travel across Geneva. Certainly you are right it's worth the hassle. Hassle compared used to haviong a charge in your own garage but since I moved recently and it was not mine... Of course the easiest option would be to ask a friend but I'm new in the town -> not many friends so far. Not with cars anyway.

Many thanks again you all!

Bon weekend!

Thanks very much for all your advices. I've heard of TCS but thought there will be surcharge for everything. I might go with this option for now and buy charger later if needed. I usually use car for longer distances and hence battery should recharge on a regular basis. Also I recently returned from vacation where I drove over 2000 km. So the battery was meant to be fully charged but leaving indoor lights on over a week was perhaps enough to make it dead.

With a lot of hassle I meant to buy a charger and then get the battery and travel across Geneva. Certainly you are right it's worth the hassle. Hassle compared used to haviong a charge in your own garage but since I moved recently and it was not mine... Of course the easiest option would be to ask a friend but I'm new in the town -> not many friends so far. Not with cars anyway.

Many thanks again you all!

Bon weekend!

Jiri K, Nov 1, 2014 @ 14:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Just hang around your car, and people with cars who pass by to help you. You might get a few nos, but at the end you'll find someone who has cables and who's willing to take 5 minutes to charge you

Just hang around your car, and people with cars who pass by to help you. You might get a few nos, but at the end you'll find someone who has cables and who's willing to take 5 minutes to charge you

Nir Ofek, Nov 1, 2014 @ 18:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

It is hard when you are new in town and don't know many people. If you let us know where the car is parked, someone close by might offer to help.

Good luck!

It is hard when you are new in town and don't know many people. If you let us know where the car is parked, someone close by might offer to help.

Good luck!

Amy Soska, Nov 3, 2014 @ 15:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Transporting a car battery isn't as bad as it sounds. Last time I had a battery problem (it was dead, not just discharged) I biked to the nearest supermarket, bought a battery, and biked back, with the battery on the luggage rack of the bike. And I have a big car with a big battery.

Transporting a car battery isn't as bad as it sounds. Last time I had a battery problem (it was dead, not just discharged) I biked to the nearest supermarket, bought a battery, and biked back, with the battery on the luggage rack of the bike. And I have a big car with a big battery.

tawb, Nov 4, 2014 @ 00:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi everyone, our battery is flat, can I join TCS and get them out the same day? Thanks!!

Hi everyone, our battery is flat, can I join TCS and get them out the same day? Thanks!!

victoria, Jan 25, 2016 @ 14:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Jan 25, 16 14:21

I don't know the answer, but I bet TCS has some way of preventing people from getting new insurance for issues that already happened. 

Best to call them anonymously and ask. 

I don't know the answer, but I bet TCS has some way of preventing people from getting new insurance for issues that already happened. 

Best to call them anonymously and ask. 

Nir Ofek, Jan 25, 2016 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

If the car is parked in an available place, I'd suggest you get some jumper cables, and just ask for help from passersby. (Hold up the cables visibly, so that one sees what you want.)

It may be old-fashioned and sexist, but the damsel-in-distress really does work. I've fallen for it several times, including help to jump-start the car of an unknown woman.

If the car is parked in an available place, I'd suggest you get some jumper cables, and just ask for help from passersby. (Hold up the cables visibly, so that one sees what you want.)

It may be old-fashioned and sexist, but the damsel-in-distress really does work. I've fallen for it several times, including help to jump-start the car of an unknown woman.

tawb, Jan 25, 2016 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Thanks for the suggestions... I suspected we were covered by something and we are, yay, no need for TCS yet  Mazda assistance is on their way!!

Thanks for the suggestions... I suspected we were covered by something and we are, yay, no need for TCS yet  Mazda assistance is on their way!!

victoria, Jan 25, 2016 @ 15:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 2373 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form