Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Anyone from or travelled in Vietnam or NE India (Sikkim / Himalaya)?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Anyone from or travelled in Vietnam or NE India (Sikkim / Himalaya)?

I'm planning a trip in April next year and would love to pick anyone's brain who's been to either of these places.

Either over email or we can meet at the weekend - drinks on me!

thanks,

Matthew

The text you are quoting:

I'm planning a trip in April next year and would love to pick anyone's brain who's been to either of these places.

Either over email or we can meet at the weekend - drinks on me!

thanks,

Matthew

TrustyJNov 18, 2009 @ 10:43
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 815 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Anyone from or travelled in Vietnam or NE India (Sikkim / Himalaya)?
Post 1

I have been to Vietnam two years ago. So, anything I can help you with?

Surfmoe, Nov 18, 2009 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Nov 18, 09 12:10

hi Surfmoe,

Thanks for the response on the glocals forum.

Ok, first thing i'm stuck on is trying to arrange a 4 day boat/bike-based tour of the Mekong Delta..? there seem to be loads of guided tours and no way to choose between them so I'm hoping for a recommendation.

Other thing is - other than Hanoi, Hue, Danang and said Mekong Delta - anything you'd call unmissable? Not hugely into beaches, rather be out on a mountain bike somewhere. Also any village / homestay stuff I won't find in the Lonely Planet you know about would be cool to hear about.

thanks for any tips. MT

hi Surfmoe,

Thanks for the response on the glocals forum.

Ok, first thing i'm stuck on is trying to arrange a 4 day boat/bike-based tour of the Mekong Delta..? there seem to be loads of guided tours and no way to choose between them so I'm hoping for a recommendation.

Other thing is - other than Hanoi, Hue, Danang and said Mekong Delta - anything you'd call unmissable? Not hugely into beaches, rather be out on a mountain bike somewhere. Also any village / homestay stuff I won't find in the Lonely Planet you know about would be cool to hear about.

thanks for any tips. MT

TrustyJ, Nov 18, 2009 @ 17:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Matthew,

I m Vietnamese. If you go to Vietnam I probably have some advice to give you. One thing you should know before everything is you can arrange trips once you are in Vietnam. Never bother yourself to do things from a distance...much harder and more expensive. Never rely yourself just on the stereotype or the stylised facts.

If you speak English everything will be just fine.

Have a good trip there!

Hi Matthew,

I m Vietnamese. If you go to Vietnam I probably have some advice to give you. One thing you should know before everything is you can arrange trips once you are in Vietnam. Never bother yourself to do things from a distance...much harder and more expensive. Never rely yourself just on the stereotype or the stylised facts.

If you speak English everything will be just fine.

Have a good trip there!

painterman, Nov 18, 2009 @ 20:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Was in Sikkim 10 years ago. You needed a special permit to enter then which we sorted out in Darjeeling just over the border in West Bengal, but it took a couple of days. Anyway, won't go into details as everything could now be totally out of date.

What I am sure of is that it's still pretty amazing. Isolated hilltop Buddhist monasteries, enormous mountain vistas, silence, you feel like you're on a different, much slower planet. Lots of opportunities for hiking with much fewer tourists than the popular routes in Nepal.

One thing to watch out for: if you stay in a mountain hut you are likely to be woken up (putting it lightly) in the middle of the night by men making an absolute cacophony with a strange horn like instrument and shouting some kind of chant. It's apparently to scare off evil spirits. I don't consider myself to be an evil spirit but I was terrified! It's probably a nice gesture though.

Have a great trip!

Was in Sikkim 10 years ago. You needed a special permit to enter then which we sorted out in Darjeeling just over the border in West Bengal, but it took a couple of days. Anyway, won't go into details as everything could now be totally out of date.

What I am sure of is that it's still pretty amazing. Isolated hilltop Buddhist monasteries, enormous mountain vistas, silence, you feel like you're on a different, much slower planet. Lots of opportunities for hiking with much fewer tourists than the popular routes in Nepal.

One thing to watch out for: if you stay in a mountain hut you are likely to be woken up (putting it lightly) in the middle of the night by men making an absolute cacophony with a strange horn like instrument and shouting some kind of chant. It's apparently to scare off evil spirits. I don't consider myself to be an evil spirit but I was terrified! It's probably a nice gesture though.

Have a great trip!

rich_t, Nov 18, 2009 @ 22:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

thanks all for the tips, most useful.

thanks all for the tips, most useful.

TrustyJ, Nov 19, 2009 @ 15:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 815 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form