Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Best Credit Card (rewards-system)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Best Credit Card (rewards-system)

Hi, 

I'm looking for the best credit card to apply for in Switzerland. 
Specifically, I'm looking for the following criteria:  
1) a decent rewards-progrem that earns you miles or points whenever you spend money on it
2) a low foreign transaction fee
3) a high miles/points start package 

So far, the best one out there seems to be SWISS Miles&More Gold card duo (AmEx & Mastercard)

https://www.miles-and-more-cards.ch/en/credit-cards/comparison/

However, they do charge a 2,5% foreign transaction fee, and they are lowering their annual loyalty miles from 4500 to 2500 as from January 2017, which is quite disappointing. 

Anyone have experience with this card, or can recommend a better one? 

The text you are quoting:

Hi, 

I'm looking for the best credit card to apply for in Switzerland. 
Specifically, I'm looking for the following criteria:  
1) a decent rewards-progrem that earns you miles or points whenever you spend money on it
2) a low foreign transaction fee
3) a high miles/points start package 

So far, the best one out there seems to be SWISS Miles&More Gold card duo (AmEx & Mastercard)

https://www.miles-and-more-cards.ch/en/credit-cards/comparison/

However, they do charge a 2,5% foreign transaction fee, and they are lowering their annual loyalty miles from 4500 to 2500 as from January 2017, which is quite disappointing. 

Anyone have experience with this card, or can recommend a better one? 

Free VDec 5, 2016 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1287 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Best Credit Card (rewards-system)
Post 1

Have had a gold card for a year and then they offered a discount on the platinum and we upgraded. We're also a little disappointed with the lowering of miles offered and might go back down to gold in the coming year.

Points and rewards aside, the customer service and responsiveness is impressive. They know who you are when you call and have excellent security measures. While on a trip to Cuba we had someone fraudulently using the card in the Dominican Republic and they quickly, painlessly resolved the situation and we could enjoy the rest of our holiday worry free. Any time we have telephone contact with them, no matter where in the world we are, we've always been very satisfied and impressed with their service.

The only 'negative' I would say is that it takes several days for money to clear on the account, even if you deposit cash directly at the bank, so you have to plan ahead if you're nearing zero balance and want to make a larger purchanse.

Have had a gold card for a year and then they offered a discount on the platinum and we upgraded. We're also a little disappointed with the lowering of miles offered and might go back down to gold in the coming year.

Points and rewards aside, the customer service and responsiveness is impressive. They know who you are when you call and have excellent security measures. While on a trip to Cuba we had someone fraudulently using the card in the Dominican Republic and they quickly, painlessly resolved the situation and we could enjoy the rest of our holiday worry free. Any time we have telephone contact with them, no matter where in the world we are, we've always been very satisfied and impressed with their service.

The only 'negative' I would say is that it takes several days for money to clear on the account, even if you deposit cash directly at the bank, so you have to plan ahead if you're nearing zero balance and want to make a larger purchanse.

Matt Williams, Dec 5, 2016 @ 21:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Matt, 

Thanks for answering. 
What do you mean with "the money to clear on the account"?
I assume that monthly credit card bills are directly charged from your regular checking account, or do you have to do this manually for this card? 

Hi Matt, 

Thanks for answering. 
What do you mean with "the money to clear on the account"?
I assume that monthly credit card bills are directly charged from your regular checking account, or do you have to do this manually for this card? 

Free V, Dec 6, 2016 @ 09:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The credit cards are with Credit Suisse, where we don't have an account, so we have to transfer money from our regular account to the card. You can only use the positive balance on your credit card account. This transfer and/or depositing cash directly at Credit Suisse takes a few days (cash even takes longer, if I remember correctly, so we just send money from one of our accounts) to clear and appear on the card. I'm not sure if Credit Suisse users can have direct debit from their accounts.

The credit cards are with Credit Suisse, where we don't have an account, so we have to transfer money from our regular account to the card. You can only use the positive balance on your credit card account. This transfer and/or depositing cash directly at Credit Suisse takes a few days (cash even takes longer, if I remember correctly, so we just send money from one of our accounts) to clear and appear on the card. I'm not sure if Credit Suisse users can have direct debit from their accounts.

Matt Williams, Dec 6, 2016 @ 10:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

thank you for the question. Matt thank you for sharing your experience. I was asking the same question yesterday so very helpful. 

thank you for the question. Matt thank you for sharing your experience. I was asking the same question yesterday so very helpful. 

pouezatpuja, Dec 7, 2016 @ 10:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Its really hard to find any credit card where the fee to get it justifies the rewards they offer.  The only one I can see any value in is the TCS card where they give you cash back and if you really spend exclusively on the card all year then you can get more back in rebate than the fee they charge.  Otherwise frankly get a card with a zero fee. 

And to your question of direct debits, I've never come across a credit card that didn't accept direct debit instructions so that the full balance is automatically withdrawn at the end of the month.

Its really hard to find any credit card where the fee to get it justifies the rewards they offer.  The only one I can see any value in is the TCS card where they give you cash back and if you really spend exclusively on the card all year then you can get more back in rebate than the fee they charge.  Otherwise frankly get a card with a zero fee. 

And to your question of direct debits, I've never come across a credit card that didn't accept direct debit instructions so that the full balance is automatically withdrawn at the end of the month.

hucklewoo, Dec 12, 2016 @ 08:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I've been using the Cumuls Mastercard for three years now and I love it. It's simple, relatively cheap and not hassle-free.

I've been using the Cumuls Mastercard for three years now and I love it. It's simple, relatively cheap and not hassle-free.

Anil T, Dec 12, 2016 @ 10:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1287 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form