Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Best way to get rid of old car -- failed auto test

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Best way to get rid of old car -- failed auto test

I have this really old car from 1995 which I want to get rid off. It is in reaasonably OK shape but the issue is that it failed the controle mechanique (emission tests) this summer due to a faulty catalytic converter. Replacing that would cost more than what the car's worth.

I am not sure how to get rid of the car. It is not junk, but I cannot sell it to anyone in Switzerland since it failed the controle mechanique.

Any ideas if I can give it away real cheap to an auto-dealer who'd export it or sell the parts? any other ideas?

Thanks.

The text you are quoting:

I have this really old car from 1995 which I want to get rid off. It is in reaasonably OK shape but the issue is that it failed the controle mechanique (emission tests) this summer due to a faulty catalytic converter. Replacing that would cost more than what the car's worth.

I am not sure how to get rid of the car. It is not junk, but I cannot sell it to anyone in Switzerland since it failed the controle mechanique.

Any ideas if I can give it away real cheap to an auto-dealer who'd export it or sell the parts? any other ideas?

Thanks.

Devdatta MNov 19, 2014 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1800 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Best way to get rid of old car -- failed auto test
Post 1

There are a couple of Auto Démolition companies on Route du Bois de Bay
in Satigny.  You have to pay.  t used to be CHF 150.- but that was a few years ago.

There are a couple of Auto Démolition companies on Route du Bois de Bay
in Satigny.  You have to pay.  t used to be CHF 150.- but that was a few years ago.

nmcp, Nov 19, 2014 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

You could put an ad on Anibis.ch Car dealers use this site and will probably buy it for export. They won't be too concerned about emissions. You could also put an ad on glocals as dealers look here aswell.

You could put an ad on Anibis.ch Car dealers use this site and will probably buy it for export. They won't be too concerned about emissions. You could also put an ad on glocals as dealers look here aswell.

Shirley T, Nov 19, 2014 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I found that when I went to a new car dealer, they gave me a car rebate, just make sure your plates are still valid. They dont know that your car didnt pass the car inspection, so best just try to push it off on them. They give a good rebate and they know the best way to prifit from your junker. I passed a Honda CRV 1998 for CHF 5000- with ford, when I purchased a new car. I found the deal already online via the ford.ch where they had a Winter Swiss limited editions , but they have others like the Kiné limited editions, so just look for the deals you want online before you see a dealer, be informed, because the salesmen will aways take advantage of you and push alot of things that are often included or they will infact give as perks. I got a Ford Grand C-Max (6.5seater) for 30k, that normally was listed over 40k, its because when you go to the show room, the prices are always higher, so do your research. Agian, dealers in Geneva are almost always the most expensive, so just 1 or 2 cantons away, you get huge price differneces. And they still can get you your Geneva plate transfered for you. Its easy.

I found that when I went to a new car dealer, they gave me a car rebate, just make sure your plates are still valid. They dont know that your car didnt pass the car inspection, so best just try to push it off on them. They give a good rebate and they know the best way to prifit from your junker. I passed a Honda CRV 1998 for CHF 5000- with ford, when I purchased a new car. I found the deal already online via the ford.ch where they had a Winter Swiss limited editions , but they have others like the Kiné limited editions, so just look for the deals you want online before you see a dealer, be informed, because the salesmen will aways take advantage of you and push alot of things that are often included or they will infact give as perks. I got a Ford Grand C-Max (6.5seater) for 30k, that normally was listed over 40k, its because when you go to the show room, the prices are always higher, so do your research. Agian, dealers in Geneva are almost always the most expensive, so just 1 or 2 cantons away, you get huge price differneces. And they still can get you your Geneva plate transfered for you. Its easy.

Dave G, Nov 19, 2014 @ 21:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oh, I should say, im totally happy with the Ford Grand C-Max. It has ecoboost that allows the 1liter engine to have amazing torque and 800kilometers on one tank of gas. that is almost double of my old honda CRV, its like rated the 3rd best fuel car out there , and I used to avoid ford like the plaque, but they truely have changed and there cars nwo are amazing. total Value for your money.

Oh, I should say, im totally happy with the Ford Grand C-Max. It has ecoboost that allows the 1liter engine to have amazing torque and 800kilometers on one tank of gas. that is almost double of my old honda CRV, its like rated the 3rd best fuel car out there , and I used to avoid ford like the plaque, but they truely have changed and there cars nwo are amazing. total Value for your money.

Dave G, Nov 19, 2014 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Nov 19, 14 21:56

"Totally happy" don't you mean "madly in love"‽

"Totally happy" don't you mean "madly in love"‽

Shirley T, Nov 19, 2014 @ 22:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey guys, Thanks for all your tips. Was very helpful.

The car definitely has a lot of life in it still, so no question of taking it to a junk yard. I'll try to get the best deal possible.

Another question: if I do not manage to bumo it off before the end of the year, I need to pay the taxes for the next full year right? Do I get a part back if I ned up selling at a later date? 

Hey guys, Thanks for all your tips. Was very helpful.

The car definitely has a lot of life in it still, so no question of taking it to a junk yard. I'll try to get the best deal possible.

Another question: if I do not manage to bumo it off before the end of the year, I need to pay the taxes for the next full year right? Do I get a part back if I ned up selling at a later date? 

Devdatta M, Nov 20, 2014 @ 10:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Nov 19, 14 21:56

That's amazing...which canton did you get this one from?

Devdatta M, Nov 20, 2014 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Shirley,

So, first of all, if you do not want to pay taxes for this car, you can just cancel the Grey Card of your car, and leave the ID Plates. If you're still using it, try to use some outside public car parks.. Why? because when you'll get back to your car, you will find, quite often, cards on your car proposing to buy it. There's a lot of ppl who export those cars to other countries, so they can have a second life (my old VW Polo was sent 6 years ago to Brazil, with 250'000km, I was paid 1000frs cash, and I'm absolutely sure it's still in use!! :-D)

it's very difficult to find those guys on internet or newspapers adds, because they are freelancers, and leaving an old car outside, in public car parks or even better in big shops parks like Ikea, you have a lot of chances to get a paper asking if you want to sell your car, with a mobile number you can call..

I already sold 3 cars this way! ;)

Hi Shirley,

So, first of all, if you do not want to pay taxes for this car, you can just cancel the Grey Card of your car, and leave the ID Plates. If you're still using it, try to use some outside public car parks.. Why? because when you'll get back to your car, you will find, quite often, cards on your car proposing to buy it. There's a lot of ppl who export those cars to other countries, so they can have a second life (my old VW Polo was sent 6 years ago to Brazil, with 250'000km, I was paid 1000frs cash, and I'm absolutely sure it's still in use!! :-D)

it's very difficult to find those guys on internet or newspapers adds, because they are freelancers, and leaving an old car outside, in public car parks or even better in big shops parks like Ikea, you have a lot of chances to get a paper asking if you want to sell your car, with a mobile number you can call..

I already sold 3 cars this way! ;)

Carlos B, Nov 20, 2014 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Nov 20, 14 10:45

Well I went to ford site, because then any offer there must be respected by all the dealers.

http://www.fr.ford.ch/Actions

But I also did research on auto scout, its really great

http://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/voiture

Well I went to ford site, because then any offer there must be respected by all the dealers.

http://www.fr.ford.ch/Actions

But I also did research on auto scout, its really great

http://www.autoscout24.ch/fr/voiture

Dave G, Nov 20, 2014 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1800 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form