Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Billag Bill

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Billag Bill

I have received a rather ridiculous bill from Billag Ag and being informed this is for TV & RADIO. 

I do not have a Tv or radio but as I have internet and therefore "the ability" to watch the rather dubious local tv or radio I must cough up.

I have been informed there are no ways around this and will probably just have to pay up unless anyone knows of a way around this

I have zero intention of watching Tv or listening to the radio either so feel the asking orice of having the ability to do so seems a little high.

If anyone knows a clever way of avoiding this then drinks are on me for 25% of the saved amount!!

Regards

Jeff

The text you are quoting:

I have received a rather ridiculous bill from Billag Ag and being informed this is for TV & RADIO. 

I do not have a Tv or radio but as I have internet and therefore "the ability" to watch the rather dubious local tv or radio I must cough up.

I have been informed there are no ways around this and will probably just have to pay up unless anyone knows of a way around this

I have zero intention of watching Tv or listening to the radio either so feel the asking orice of having the ability to do so seems a little high.

If anyone knows a clever way of avoiding this then drinks are on me for 25% of the saved amount!!

Regards

Jeff

Jeff CollinsJan 14, 2014 @ 22:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

52 Replies | 4532 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Billag Bill
Post 1

Unfortunately the Billag tax is due even if you don't have TV or radio, just Internet.

Unless you live with someone who already pays the Billag, as the tax is for "ménage familier", not per person.

And yes, I agree with you it's a ridicolous scam.

Unfortunately the Billag tax is due even if you don't have TV or radio, just Internet.

Unless you live with someone who already pays the Billag, as the tax is for "ménage familier", not per person.

And yes, I agree with you it's a ridicolous scam.

TheOmegaMan, Jan 14, 2014 @ 23:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Yeh thats what it seems

Wondrr is there a way to pay for it in coins just to be awkward!

Thnks

Yeh thats what it seems

Wondrr is there a way to pay for it in coins just to be awkward!

Thnks

Jeff Collins, Jan 15, 2014 @ 00:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I watch Swiss TV on my iPad.  Have to pay Billag.

I watch Swiss TV on my iPad.  Have to pay Billag.

Marcus T, Jan 16, 2014 @ 01:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

It’s a hugely unpopular tax but we all have to grin and pay up, so just add it to your cost of living in CH.  Billag are adept at ferreting those who try to avoid paying, so be aware that you won’t win this one.

Best, R.

It’s a hugely unpopular tax but we all have to grin and pay up, so just add it to your cost of living in CH.  Billag are adept at ferreting those who try to avoid paying, so be aware that you won’t win this one.

Best, R.

Ritchie, Jan 16, 2014 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Yep... and you have to pay a year in advance - and if you ask for it quarterly they apply an additional admin fee!!  It's complete and utter bollocks - we have Bluewin and watch everything via our internet (UK TV) - But it's the 'ability' to receive the channels you are paying for.  As been mentioned.

Same thing when I complained that my health insurance had risen, even though I never made a claim... I was told that claims throughout Switzerland had gone up, so everyone's health insurance rose accordingly to cover the cost.  Kind of like sharing the whole restuarant bill when you just have the salad and a coke.  Switzerland... it is what it is!

Yep... and you have to pay a year in advance - and if you ask for it quarterly they apply an additional admin fee!!  It's complete and utter bollocks - we have Bluewin and watch everything via our internet (UK TV) - But it's the 'ability' to receive the channels you are paying for.  As been mentioned.

Same thing when I complained that my health insurance had risen, even though I never made a claim... I was told that claims throughout Switzerland had gone up, so everyone's health insurance rose accordingly to cover the cost.  Kind of like sharing the whole restuarant bill when you just have the salad and a coke.  Switzerland... it is what it is!

Deano1uk, Jan 16, 2014 @ 14:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

It’s not the “ability to receive” but the “privilege of receiving”, so welcome to a land where TV reception, health care, and lunch of course, are never free. 

It’s not the “ability to receive” but the “privilege of receiving”, so welcome to a land where TV reception, health care, and lunch of course, are never free. 

Ritchie, Jan 16, 2014 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks all, yes I had accepted that I was fighting a losing battle and tbh I dont mind paying for a tv license , idid in the UK just the price tag seems a little onerus for something I will never use even if I do have the great "priviledge" of doing so.

And yes starting ti factor in a a few more items in the "  cost of living" bucket since getting here!!!!!

Thnks 

JC

Thanks all, yes I had accepted that I was fighting a losing battle and tbh I dont mind paying for a tv license , idid in the UK just the price tag seems a little onerus for something I will never use even if I do have the great "priviledge" of doing so.

And yes starting ti factor in a a few more items in the "  cost of living" bucket since getting here!!!!!

Thnks 

JC

Jeff Collins, Jan 16, 2014 @ 23:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Please find below ll the regulations concerning bilag and in english from the swiss government portal which is excellent

http://www.admin.ch/ch/e/rs/784_401/a63.html

Please find below ll the regulations concerning bilag and in english from the swiss government portal which is excellent

http://www.admin.ch/ch/e/rs/784_401/a63.html

bellah, Jan 18, 2014 @ 06:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

In short: you can't escape it once you are on their radar screen.

i heard of people go we're not contacted by billag for years, so got away with it. But once they know of your existence, no way out (as far as I know)

i heard of people go we're not contacted by billag for years, so got away with it. But once they know of your existence, no way out (as far as I know)

Nir Ofek, Jan 19, 2014 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Can I just ask again - for fun - about BIllag? So it doesn't matter if I never have and never will access Swiss TV and radio...I still have to pay?

They found me, We paid, and now they billed my husband. I gather though that this is a menage familial situation, and we don't have to pay per head?

Can I just ask again - for fun - about BIllag? So it doesn't matter if I never have and never will access Swiss TV and radio...I still have to pay?

They found me, We paid, and now they billed my husband. I gather though that this is a menage familial situation, and we don't have to pay per head?

bearded09, Sep 12, 2014 @ 19:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Sep 12, 14 19:11

Bearded:

The criteria the law set out for determining if you have to pay for Billlag is not if you actually access Swiss Tv/Radio, but if if you have the capability to access them.  So for the law, it's enough that you can receive radio or tv somewhere (such as a car radio or a PC with internet), even if you don't, to make you have to pay for it. Crazy, but that's how they work. 

As far as I understand, you pay by household for house-related Billag things. If you have 2 cars tho, each under a different name, you might have to pay twice. 

Bearded:

The criteria the law set out for determining if you have to pay for Billlag is not if you actually access Swiss Tv/Radio, but if if you have the capability to access them.  So for the law, it's enough that you can receive radio or tv somewhere (such as a car radio or a PC with internet), even if you don't, to make you have to pay for it. Crazy, but that's how they work. 

As far as I understand, you pay by household for house-related Billag things. If you have 2 cars tho, each under a different name, you might have to pay twice. 

Nir Ofek, Sep 13, 2014 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thanks...especially for indulging my to-be-doubly-sure question Foot in Mouth yeah...it's a scam!

Thanks...especially for indulging my to-be-doubly-sure question Foot in Mouth yeah...it's a scam!

bearded09, Sep 13, 2014 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Well the same is in the uk, they also pay tv licence.

bellah, Sep 14, 2014 @ 08:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Sep 14, 14 08:33

in what amount?

in what amount?

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 10:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

GBP145.50 p.a. - about CHF215.

Given that the cost of living in Switzerland is roughly double that in the UK, the Billag fee is actually quite cheap in comparison

Given that the cost of living in Switzerland is roughly double that in the UK, the Billag fee is actually quite cheap in comparison

David Lloyd, Aug 6, 2015 @ 16:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Aug 6, 15 16:27

And do OAPs and the physically impaired still get concession in the UK?  As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing of that sort in CH.

R.

And do OAPs and the physically impaired still get concession in the UK?  As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing of that sort in CH.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 6, 2015 @ 17:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Jan 1, 70 01:00

I doubt that...

It seems to me that only a few can benefit of an exemption, under very strict conditions. I'd be glad to be wrong, though...

I doubt that...

It seems to me that only a few can benefit of an exemption, under very strict conditions. I'd be glad to be wrong, though...

Casuistik, Aug 6, 2015 @ 18:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I have a new question (yay). Is it a tax? or some other classification of money bleeding?

I have a new question (yay). Is it a tax? or some other classification of money bleeding?

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Jan 19, 14 09:12

Yeah, they found us. We had no idea what the hell it was, as we had never used TV or radio (apart from the cable access we had already paid for) so we got a whopping bill. My husband did anyway, and then they sent me a bill, cumulative.

Yeah, they found us. We had no idea what the hell it was, as we had never used TV or radio (apart from the cable access we had already paid for) so we got a whopping bill. My husband did anyway, and then they sent me a bill, cumulative.

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Officially, it's not. It's not an "impôt", but a "redevance". The idea being that you pay for the service. Practically, it is a tax.

Officially, it's not. It's not an "impôt", but a "redevance". The idea being that you pay for the service. Practically, it is a tax.

Casuistik, Aug 6, 2015 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

It's tricky when you have a social life, but one can declare that he/she has no TV, no radio, no internet and therefore doesn't have to pay the tax. They will send some agents to his/her home to verify, but nothing they can do if you are never home to greet them.

It's tricky when you have a social life, but one can declare that he/she has no TV, no radio, no internet and therefore doesn't have to pay the tax. They will send some agents to his/her home to verify, but nothing they can do if you are never home to greet them.

Casuistik, Aug 6, 2015 @ 19:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Aug 6, 15 19:04

So that's how they get the diplomats too, I guess. Don't get me wrong - I have no problem paying for what I actually use. this is rubbish though. 

So that's how they get the diplomats too, I guess. Don't get me wrong - I have no problem paying for what I actually use. this is rubbish though. 

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 19:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

I’m AVS and I listen to the radio but I don’t have TV.  However, because I could use my p.c. to watch programmes (which I don’t)  I still have to pay the full licence fee.

I's a rip off!

I’m AVS and I listen to the radio but I don’t have TV.  However, because I could use my p.c. to watch programmes (which I don’t)  I still have to pay the full licence fee.

I's a rip off!

Ritchie, Aug 6, 2015 @ 19:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

> They found me, We paid, and now they billed my husband. I gather though that this is a menage familial situation, and we don't have to pay per head?

I've seen that you posted this question some time ago. Actually they don't have any right to make you pay twice. The tax is for family, which means that if you and your husband live together, you will have to pay the tax only once.

And the number of devices able to receive radio / TV / Internet doesn't matter. Your car radio, your husband's car radio, your TVs, stereos, laptops, desktop computers, smartphones, portable radios, all are covered by one tax payment. 

> They found me, We paid, and now they billed my husband. I gather though that this is a menage familial situation, and we don't have to pay per head?

I've seen that you posted this question some time ago. Actually they don't have any right to make you pay twice. The tax is for family, which means that if you and your husband live together, you will have to pay the tax only once.

And the number of devices able to receive radio / TV / Internet doesn't matter. Your car radio, your husband's car radio, your TVs, stereos, laptops, desktop computers, smartphones, portable radios, all are covered by one tax payment. 

TheOmegaMan, Aug 6, 2015 @ 19:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Yes, I posted when we got the first 'gotcha' letter from them. That is to say when they found out we hadn't been paying, and had been blissfully unaware of its existence. The first letter was to my husband, and then one for his car. Then to me. I wrote back telling them we are married, one household etc, but they kept sending the bills. Rinse and repeat.

It's good to know that all devices are covered (ie hubsters car etc). Though I am not sure now where to go. They obviously don't like letters.

Yes, I posted when we got the first 'gotcha' letter from them. That is to say when they found out we hadn't been paying, and had been blissfully unaware of its existence. The first letter was to my husband, and then one for his car. Then to me. I wrote back telling them we are married, one household etc, but they kept sending the bills. Rinse and repeat.

It's good to know that all devices are covered (ie hubsters car etc). Though I am not sure now where to go. They obviously don't like letters.

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 19:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

I never gave a dime to Billag.  Ignored the random knocks at the door; discarded the packets appearing in the mailbox 1-2x per year from Agent so-and-so...  It was my civil disobedience.  I would've gladly paid had I been a consumer of Swiss media.  I wasn't so I didn't.

I never gave a dime to Billag.  Ignored the random knocks at the door; discarded the packets appearing in the mailbox 1-2x per year from Agent so-and-so...  It was my civil disobedience.  I would've gladly paid had I been a consumer of Swiss media.  I wasn't so I didn't.

richardm, Aug 6, 2015 @ 20:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

it's all fun and games until you get a Notice of Poursuite in the mail.

it's all fun and games until you get a Notice of Poursuite in the mail.

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

I got lucky, apparently.

The rules are that you have to pay if you own a device that's capable of receiving transmissions -- this would've been hard for them to do without someone [illegally] entering my domicile for inspection.

I've heard that a Billag case has never successfully wound its way through the court system -- a loss would set a judicial precedent that could end the entire scheme.  They don't want to roll that dice.

I got lucky, apparently.

The rules are that you have to pay if you own a device that's capable of receiving transmissions -- this would've been hard for them to do without someone [illegally] entering my domicile for inspection.

I've heard that a Billag case has never successfully wound its way through the court system -- a loss would set a judicial precedent that could end the entire scheme.  They don't want to roll that dice.

richardm, Aug 6, 2015 @ 21:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

Aug 6, 15 20:08

We just received this email at glocals HQ:

To: glocals.com Genera Management

Re: One RichardM

Dear Sirs, 

It has come to our attention that one RichardM, who is a memebr of your esteemed web site, never gave us a dime. Further, this RichardM character claims he avoided our random knocks on his door and our bi-annual letters. 

We consider that to be grave civil disobesience, and we will act accordingly. More over, we have heard reports this RicahrdM once took a newspaper from a paper box without paying, in 2003. Put together, these issues point a disturing case. 

We have put this topic on top priority (well agead of global warming and the war on ISIS) and will update on the progress. 

The Friendly Billag Team"

We just received this email at glocals HQ:

To: glocals.com Genera Management

Re: One RichardM

Dear Sirs, 

It has come to our attention that one RichardM, who is a memebr of your esteemed web site, never gave us a dime. Further, this RichardM character claims he avoided our random knocks on his door and our bi-annual letters. 

We consider that to be grave civil disobesience, and we will act accordingly. More over, we have heard reports this RicahrdM once took a newspaper from a paper box without paying, in 2003. Put together, these issues point a disturing case. 

We have put this topic on top priority (well agead of global warming and the war on ISIS) and will update on the progress. 

The Friendly Billag Team"

Nir Ofek, Aug 6, 2015 @ 21:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

Regards

Jeff

Jan 14, 14 22:39

From what I know you have to pay the Billag thing even if you just have a machine that can catch electric signals, and it doesn't matter if you actually use the machine or not. So if you have a smart phone or a PC, and even if you don't have internet at home, you already have to pay the tax. In short, there's no real way to get billag to say you don't owe them money. 

From what I know you have to pay the Billag thing even if you just have a machine that can catch electric signals, and it doesn't matter if you actually use the machine or not. So if you have a smart phone or a PC, and even if you don't have internet at home, you already have to pay the tax. In short, there's no real way to get billag to say you don't owe them money. 

Nir Ofek, Aug 6, 2015 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

I got lucky, apparently.

Aug 6, 15 21:44

Them are the rules indeed. So even if you have a smart phone capable of receiving internet, Billag will say you owe them money. 

Them are the rules indeed. So even if you have a smart phone capable of receiving internet, Billag will say you owe them money. 

Nir Ofek, Aug 6, 2015 @ 21:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Sadly, Swiss voters have had the power to end this Billag nonsense and they haven't.  Yet.

Though things are looking up lately.  

Sadly, Swiss voters have had the power to end this Billag nonsense and they haven't.  Yet.

Though things are looking up lately.  

richardm, Aug 6, 2015 @ 21:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

this is the part I love - not being able to vote, but having to pay for something you don't use.

this is the part I love - not being able to vote, but having to pay for something you don't use.

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 22:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Aug 6, 15 22:31

I know, I know...rich peoples problems

I know, I know...rich peoples problems

bearded09, Aug 6, 2015 @ 22:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Can anyone shed any light as to just how Billag is allowed to operate the way they do, especially the knocking on one’s front door to search for a receiving device that’s lurking under the bed or behind the cistern?

Can anyone shed any light as to just how Billag is allowed to operate the way they do, especially the knocking on one’s front door to search for a receiving device that’s lurking under the bed or behind the cistern?

Ritchie, Aug 6, 2015 @ 22:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

Aug 6, 15 22:40

Well, they aren't law enforcement officers.  They can't barge in.  But I've heard that once you let them in, they don't just stand near the door with a polite smile.  Oh no, they march right into your home to look for the "contraband."

Which is why I never answered the door unless I knew who was out there.  I figure if someone really needs something from me then they can leave a note.  The Swiss are passive-aggressive note writing gold medalists -- if they want me there's a note and a stamp for that.

Well, they aren't law enforcement officers.  They can't barge in.  But I've heard that once you let them in, they don't just stand near the door with a polite smile.  Oh no, they march right into your home to look for the "contraband."

Which is why I never answered the door unless I knew who was out there.  I figure if someone really needs something from me then they can leave a note.  The Swiss are passive-aggressive note writing gold medalists -- if they want me there's a note and a stamp for that.

richardm, Aug 7, 2015 @ 00:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

If you read the rules re: the internet question, my interpretation is you only have to pay the TV portion of the fee if you have an 'account' which permits watching TV. Since I don't, I only pay the Radio portion.

You don't automatically have to pay the full fee just because you have an internet connection. - That's my view.

If you read the rules re: the internet question, my interpretation is you only have to pay the TV portion of the fee if you have an 'account' which permits watching TV. Since I don't, I only pay the Radio portion.

You don't automatically have to pay the full fee just because you have an internet connection. - That's my view.

Ondrej H, Aug 7, 2015 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

> this would've been hard for them to do without someone [illegally] entering my domicile for inspection.

I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't a data cell phone subscription in your name (e.g. with Swisscom) also be a valid proof that you use a smartphone, and therefore have to pay the Billag?  Just asking. 

> this would've been hard for them to do without someone [illegally] entering my domicile for inspection.

I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't a data cell phone subscription in your name (e.g. with Swisscom) also be a valid proof that you use a smartphone, and therefore have to pay the Billag?  Just asking. 

TheOmegaMan, Aug 8, 2015 @ 16:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Perception people. If this tax was slipped in with your personal income tax, like most countries do, this discussion of 'unfair practice' wouldn't occur, despite same net result.

It would be better to discuss the purpose of tax collection as a benefit to the community. Or how someone living on  65,000 chf/ year is paying the same flat rate as someone making 300,000 chf/year, for a service they may not use.

Perception people. If this tax was slipped in with your personal income tax, like most countries do, this discussion of 'unfair practice' wouldn't occur, despite same net result.

It would be better to discuss the purpose of tax collection as a benefit to the community. Or how someone living on  65,000 chf/ year is paying the same flat rate as someone making 300,000 chf/year, for a service they may not use.

no.38, Aug 8, 2015 @ 22:11
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Remove Thanks
! Report to Admin
Post 40

I think you meant to say 'perspective', and I would be quite happy for it to be 'slipped in with personal income tax'.

I think you meant to say 'perspective', and I would be quite happy for it to be 'slipped in with personal income tax'.

bearded09, Aug 8, 2015 @ 22:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Aug 6, 15 22:40

Unfortunately not, but I did find out that even if you are deaf and blind you STILL must pay this tax. I am not able to listen to the radio because of a raging condition of tinnitus, but no. I still must pay.

I am interested to know why otherwise "tax-exempt" folk are still obliged to pay this federal tax.

Unfortunately not, but I did find out that even if you are deaf and blind you STILL must pay this tax. I am not able to listen to the radio because of a raging condition of tinnitus, but no. I still must pay.

I am interested to know why otherwise "tax-exempt" folk are still obliged to pay this federal tax.

bearded09, Aug 30, 2015 @ 20:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

The way it works in the UK is not as harsh as over here, in the sense that they will (unlikely but can happen) knock on your door. They can have a look (and you can hold your ground if you like) but the abilitiy to watch something is not the measure they go by. It is seeing if you actually have a tv (unless they evolved with the times). It is quite an unpopular tax/fee, but to be fair the BBC is pretty damn good, the same cannot be said for swiss tv. I feel that because people can escape it more easily over there, they do.

So if you have internet but dont have a TV, they cant do anything. But if you declare not to own a tv, and want to be exempt, expect a knock at the door and for them to check.

Also there are a few exemptions and discounts, for example those who cant afford it, the elderly, and those who have a black and white tv get a discount. You can also pay in installments, not sure if they charge more, which wouldnt make sense as usually if you need to pay it in installments, it is due to a lack of money.

As mentioned, If you plan to move around a lot, dont bother, but you know, keep in mind the risk.

With regards to checkling mobile phone plans under someones name... that would worrying that they could access that information.

The way it works in the UK is not as harsh as over here, in the sense that they will (unlikely but can happen) knock on your door. They can have a look (and you can hold your ground if you like) but the abilitiy to watch something is not the measure they go by. It is seeing if you actually have a tv (unless they evolved with the times). It is quite an unpopular tax/fee, but to be fair the BBC is pretty damn good, the same cannot be said for swiss tv. I feel that because people can escape it more easily over there, they do.

So if you have internet but dont have a TV, they cant do anything. But if you declare not to own a tv, and want to be exempt, expect a knock at the door and for them to check.

Also there are a few exemptions and discounts, for example those who cant afford it, the elderly, and those who have a black and white tv get a discount. You can also pay in installments, not sure if they charge more, which wouldnt make sense as usually if you need to pay it in installments, it is due to a lack of money.

As mentioned, If you plan to move around a lot, dont bother, but you know, keep in mind the risk.

With regards to checkling mobile phone plans under someones name... that would worrying that they could access that information.

Farzam F, Aug 31, 2015 @ 00:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

If you check back on this Forum, and ask around a bit, you will realise that what you have written is wrong,

Quote "So if you have internet but dont have a TV, they can't do anything. But if you declare not to own a tv, and want to be exempt, expect a knock at the door and for them to check."

To be quite clear: if you own or rent any electronic system that is capable of displaying TV images, then you must pay the Billag man. If you have any Internet, you can use Zattoo and therefore watch TV programs on the computer. If you own a smart phone, you can use WiFi to connect to Zattoo, the result is the same: pay the Billag.

Remember, the Billag interpret the Swiss laws, and issue fines and court summons.

We don't care really if you pay Billag or don't pay, but please be prepared for unhappy consequences.

Also remember that the Billag man cannot force an entry to your property. You have to allow him inside, or he shows you a Court Order to search your home, usually he has with him a uniformed police officer.

If you are on a very low income (say less than Fr 3'000 for a single person) and receive any income supplement, you receive also a "Get out of paying Billag" certificate.

If you check back on this Forum, and ask around a bit, you will realise that what you have written is wrong,

Quote "So if you have internet but dont have a TV, they can't do anything. But if you declare not to own a tv, and want to be exempt, expect a knock at the door and for them to check."

To be quite clear: if you own or rent any electronic system that is capable of displaying TV images, then you must pay the Billag man. If you have any Internet, you can use Zattoo and therefore watch TV programs on the computer. If you own a smart phone, you can use WiFi to connect to Zattoo, the result is the same: pay the Billag.

Remember, the Billag interpret the Swiss laws, and issue fines and court summons.

We don't care really if you pay Billag or don't pay, but please be prepared for unhappy consequences.

Also remember that the Billag man cannot force an entry to your property. You have to allow him inside, or he shows you a Court Order to search your home, usually he has with him a uniformed police officer.

If you are on a very low income (say less than Fr 3'000 for a single person) and receive any income supplement, you receive also a "Get out of paying Billag" certificate.

Alan W, Aug 31, 2015 @ 02:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

Sorry if it wasnt clear but I was still referring to the UK system.

Sorry if it wasnt clear but I was still referring to the UK system.

Farzam F, Aug 31, 2015 @ 03:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

I also pay Billag, 460 CHF a year! is it the same amount for a single person and for a family of 4?

I also pay Billag, 460 CHF a year! is it the same amount for a single person and for a family of 4?

Ally M, Aug 31, 2015 @ 18:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

Ally, this has already been said. The tax must be paid per family. Therefore if more people live together in the same "ménage familier", they end up paying less as the tax is shared amongst them. Think of it as the electricity bill.

Ally, this has already been said. The tax must be paid per family. Therefore if more people live together in the same "ménage familier", they end up paying less as the tax is shared amongst them. Think of it as the electricity bill.

TheOmegaMan, Aug 31, 2015 @ 21:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

While it seems reasonable to fund quality public radio and TV channels from taxes, Billag is a rip-off for multiple reasons:

- It starts with the premise that everybody is guilty: "If you have a TV/radio receiver, internet or a mobile phone, you are surely using it to watch Swiss public programs". What if I don't watch Swiss programs? What if I don't see TV at all and just need a TV for watching my DVDs? It does not matter, pay and shut up.

- It is not proportional or anyhow correlated with the user income or fortune. Poor families/individuals will pay the same as rich ones, and thus cannot economise: they could very well get by without an unnecessary service and allocate the savings to let's say food or basic consumer goods.

- It is not proportional to the number of individuals in the household, number of TV/raidio receivers, or number of hours used. 

- If in the end, basically everybody has to pay, why do we need an intermediary organisation to collect this "tax"? Can't it just be paid together with the income and fortune tax in the annual declaration? If everybody has to pay, there is no need for Billag inspectors either. Their salaries could be instead allocated to TV/radio funding, hence reducing the tax for everybody.

In my view, it is a stupid system, and the reform that was recently voted does not solve any of its unfairness.

While it seems reasonable to fund quality public radio and TV channels from taxes, Billag is a rip-off for multiple reasons:

- It starts with the premise that everybody is guilty: "If you have a TV/radio receiver, internet or a mobile phone, you are surely using it to watch Swiss public programs". What if I don't watch Swiss programs? What if I don't see TV at all and just need a TV for watching my DVDs? It does not matter, pay and shut up.

- It is not proportional or anyhow correlated with the user income or fortune. Poor families/individuals will pay the same as rich ones, and thus cannot economise: they could very well get by without an unnecessary service and allocate the savings to let's say food or basic consumer goods.

- It is not proportional to the number of individuals in the household, number of TV/raidio receivers, or number of hours used. 

- If in the end, basically everybody has to pay, why do we need an intermediary organisation to collect this "tax"? Can't it just be paid together with the income and fortune tax in the annual declaration? If everybody has to pay, there is no need for Billag inspectors either. Their salaries could be instead allocated to TV/radio funding, hence reducing the tax for everybody.

In my view, it is a stupid system, and the reform that was recently voted does not solve any of its unfairness.

ajimenezp, Sep 1, 2015 @ 20:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

2 years later and Billag is still with us. Does a person renting a room have to register with Billag (even if the actual fee itself is being paid by the person whose name is on the rental contract)?

2 years later and Billag is still with us. Does a person renting a room have to register with Billag (even if the actual fee itself is being paid by the person whose name is on the rental contract)?

Tony G, Aug 22, 2017 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

It's (supposedly) per household, not per person. 

It's (supposedly) per household, not per person. 

bearded09, Aug 22, 2017 @ 13:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

Aug 22, 17 13:15

Billag never goes away...

As far as I know, it's per house, not per person

Nir Ofek, Aug 22, 2017 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

So I don't have to register with Billag, thanks

So I don't have to register with Billag, thanks

Tony G, Aug 22, 2017 @ 14:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52

Aug 22, 17 13:57

Sure does ! As from 1 July, 2017 this year (and until 31 December 2025, at least and as an initial "try-out" mandate) and following a public tender, BILLAG is replaced for collection of Swiss TV/radio license fee-purposes by company Serafe SA (a subsidiary of insurance company Secon SA). Remains to be seen what new efforts, infrastrure, IT systems and other such nasties such new company may introduce for the boosting of federal revenues in this part.....      

Sure does ! As from 1 July, 2017 this year (and until 31 December 2025, at least and as an initial "try-out" mandate) and following a public tender, BILLAG is replaced for collection of Swiss TV/radio license fee-purposes by company Serafe SA (a subsidiary of insurance company Secon SA). Remains to be seen what new efforts, infrastrure, IT systems and other such nasties such new company may introduce for the boosting of federal revenues in this part.....      

Eva D, Aug 22, 2017 @ 20:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
52 Replies | 4532 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form