Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Car: do i need a CH sticker given the plate has a Swiss flag?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Car: do i need a CH sticker given the plate has a Swiss flag?
the subject says it all... given the license plate has a lovely red and white Swiss flag, does a car need a white CH sticker on the back to leave the country? Some intellectual soul must know the simple answer to this...
The text you are quoting:
the subject says it all... given the license plate has a lovely red and white Swiss flag, does a car need a white CH sticker on the back to leave the country? Some intellectual soul must know the simple answer to this...
hucklewooJun 16, 2009 @ 19:37
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 5750 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Car: do i need a CH sticker given the plate has a Swiss flag?
Post 1
Not so sure about Bedrock's answer. I have heard (urban legend?) that police in Austria have fined Swiss cars that do not have the CH on the back. You will notice that on all EU plates that is indicated. This is not the case for any of the CH plates, hence the "need" to have the sticker so the police know which country the car is coming from (as if they didn't but what can we say).

The best thing to do is to have the sticker in the glove compartment of the car so if there is a police control in an EU country and they are being really nasty, you can at least say you have it with you. The sticker can be purchased at any Brico style of store.
Not so sure about Bedrock's answer. I have heard (urban legend?) that police in Austria have fined Swiss cars that do not have the CH on the back. You will notice that on all EU plates that is indicated. This is not the case for any of the CH plates, hence the "need" to have the sticker so the police know which country the car is coming from (as if they didn't but what can we say).

The best thing to do is to have the sticker in the glove compartment of the car so if there is a police control in an EU country and they are being really nasty, you can at least say you have it with you. The sticker can be purchased at any Brico style of store.
Verbier, Jun 16, 2009 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
It will be nice when the new site is finally launched so the underlining etc. works. I had bolded the text ... "the country" in one of the lines.

The line should read:

You will notice that on all EU plates that "the country" is indicated.
It will be nice when the new site is finally launched so the underlining etc. works. I had bolded the text ... "the country" in one of the lines.

The line should read:

You will notice that on all EU plates that "the country" is indicated.
Verbier, Jun 16, 2009 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Yes, it's mandatory if you leave the country (Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, cross border vehicles)
Yes, it's mandatory if you leave the country (Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, cross border vehicles)
Free, Jun 16, 2009 @ 20:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
And from the British Automobile Association website (concerning UK cars traveling in other countries).

"A GB sticker is Compulsory, and failure to comply could result in an on-the-spot fine.

Euro-plates - number plates that include the GB euro-symbol - have been legal since March 2001 and make display of a conventional sticker unnecessary within the EU.

In some countries outside the EU a conventional sticker is required even if you have euro-plates, so it is always safer to display one. "

I will add one more tip. In several of the EU countries you also need an orange or yellow reflective vest (and sometimes two) that are accessible from INSIDE the car. I understand that in France, Italy and Spain it is the law. They cost about CHF 5 from many stores.
And from the British Automobile Association website (concerning UK cars traveling in other countries).

"A GB sticker is Compulsory, and failure to comply could result in an on-the-spot fine.

Euro-plates - number plates that include the GB euro-symbol - have been legal since March 2001 and make display of a conventional sticker unnecessary within the EU.

In some countries outside the EU a conventional sticker is required even if you have euro-plates, so it is always safer to display one. "

I will add one more tip. In several of the EU countries you also need an orange or yellow reflective vest (and sometimes two) that are accessible from INSIDE the car. I understand that in France, Italy and Spain it is the law. They cost about CHF 5 from many stores.
Verbier, Jun 16, 2009 @ 21:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
doh... that's what i thought. Thanks for the quick response!!
doh... that's what i thought. Thanks for the quick response!!
hucklewoo, Jun 17, 2009 @ 00:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Could someone tell me where I can pick up a CH sticker please.
Could someone tell me where I can pick up a CH sticker please.
Lucy_5679, Jun 21, 2009 @ 14:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
You can find the CH stickers at most gas stations that also have a convenience store and at most brico type stores (Mirgros and Coop) in the larger shopping centres - look in the auto supplies section.
You can find the CH stickers at most gas stations that also have a convenience store and at most brico type stores (Mirgros and Coop) in the larger shopping centres - look in the auto supplies section.
Verbier, Jun 21, 2009 @ 15:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Thanks very much
Thanks very much
Lucy_5679, Jun 21, 2009 @ 15:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Lynn, you should click through on the "distinguishing sign" text to read what it says.

A Swiss flag does not meet the standards. The CH in the oval is the only thing that does.

"On the international level, the designation of origin for a motor vehicle is distinguished by a supplementary international licence plate country code. This country designator is displayed in bold block uppercase on a small white oval plate or sticker near the number plate on the rear of a vehicle when driving outside the country in which the vehicle registration plate is issued."

Lynn, you should click through on the "distinguishing sign" text to read what it says.

A Swiss flag does not meet the standards. The CH in the oval is the only thing that does.

"On the international level, the designation of origin for a motor vehicle is distinguished by a supplementary international licence plate country code. This country designator is displayed in bold block uppercase on a small white oval plate or sticker near the number plate on the rear of a vehicle when driving outside the country in which the vehicle registration plate is issued."

Verbier, Jun 21, 2009 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Agreed. 99.9% of the time you would never have a problem but all you need is some over zealous cop who decides to be a complete **s and you have a "situation" during a police check in one of the EU countries.

Hence my suggestion to at least have the CH sticker in the glove compartment. It costs about CHF 3 so not too expensive. At least then you could probably talk yourself out of a fine.

You do however need the yellow or orange emergency vest in the car. Migros brico had them on special for CHF 5.90 last week.
Agreed. 99.9% of the time you would never have a problem but all you need is some over zealous cop who decides to be a complete **s and you have a "situation" during a police check in one of the EU countries.

Hence my suggestion to at least have the CH sticker in the glove compartment. It costs about CHF 3 so not too expensive. At least then you could probably talk yourself out of a fine.

You do however need the yellow or orange emergency vest in the car. Migros brico had them on special for CHF 5.90 last week.
Verbier, Jun 21, 2009 @ 21:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
An update:

Migros do-it has CH sticker that are a magnet. That way you can put them on for a trip into the EU then take them off when you are finished. Or as mentioned before, at least have it in the glove compartment so you can put it on if you are checked.

These stickers work like the blue L (learner) magnetic stickers that people put on their car when there is a student driver practicing. You just need to have a clean and dry metallic area on the back of the car to place it.

Cost was CHF 5.80
An update:

Migros do-it has CH sticker that are a magnet. That way you can put them on for a trip into the EU then take them off when you are finished. Or as mentioned before, at least have it in the glove compartment so you can put it on if you are checked.

These stickers work like the blue L (learner) magnetic stickers that people put on their car when there is a student driver practicing. You just need to have a clean and dry metallic area on the back of the car to place it.

Cost was CHF 5.80
Verbier, Jul 21, 2009 @ 15:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 5750 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form