Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Cleaning the chassis for the periodic vehicle test

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Cleaning the chassis for the periodic vehicle test

I got the notice for the 5 year control of the car. I have my appointment, but the woman on the phone asked if I had had the chassis cleaned?

How does one do that? Because I called Clean Cars (I have a voucher...) and they said that they don't do that. So now I have an appointment at another garage to have the chassis cleaned before I take it in tomorrow. Is this normal?

Many thanks for any constructive advice or tips for next time!

The text you are quoting:

I got the notice for the 5 year control of the car. I have my appointment, but the woman on the phone asked if I had had the chassis cleaned?

How does one do that? Because I called Clean Cars (I have a voucher...) and they said that they don't do that. So now I have an appointment at another garage to have the chassis cleaned before I take it in tomorrow. Is this normal?

Many thanks for any constructive advice or tips for next time!

misskateMar 26, 2018 @ 11:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1632 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Cleaning the chassis for the periodic vehicle test
Post 1

Having the chassis cleaned is one of the requirements for the technical test, it will fail the test if not done.

Having the chassis cleaned is one of the requirements for the technical test, it will fail the test if not done.

Shirley T, Mar 27, 2018 @ 07:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

It is always preferable to have your vehicle prepared for the control (Préparation visite) by a mechanic before going to the "Bureau des Autos".

It will avoid you to fail the control, and have to return there.

It is always preferable to have your vehicle prepared for the control (Préparation visite) by a mechanic before going to the "Bureau des Autos".

It will avoid you to fail the control, and have to return there.

Lexa K, Mar 27, 2018 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

There is an automatic car wash in Ferney-Voltaire. If you go with the "super premium" option, which I think is like 28 EUR, it will clean the chassis.

There is an automatic car wash in Ferney-Voltaire. If you go with the "super premium" option, which I think is like 28 EUR, it will clean the chassis.

Sean C, Mar 27, 2018 @ 10:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

These are the guys that Seán mentioned in Ferney.  I have used them many times.  You need to make an appointment with them, usually several days in advance.  IIRC, it costs something around €70.

http://www.lavage-clefs-snaf.fr/lavage-chassis-moteur-ferney-voltaire.html

These are the guys that Seán mentioned in Ferney.  I have used them many times.  You need to make an appointment with them, usually several days in advance.  IIRC, it costs something around €70.

http://www.lavage-clefs-snaf.fr/lavage-chassis-moteur-ferney-voltaire.html

nmcp, Mar 28, 2018 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks, y'all! The garage I took it to that day cleaned the chassis for chf110. I took it to TCS the next day for its controle and it all went swimmingly. 

TCS will also wash the chassis for chf95, so two years from now, when I do this again, I'll just have TCS take care of the whole thing. 

Thanks, y'all! The garage I took it to that day cleaned the chassis for chf110. I took it to TCS the next day for its controle and it all went swimmingly. 

TCS will also wash the chassis for chf95, so two years from now, when I do this again, I'll just have TCS take care of the whole thing. 

misskate, Apr 3, 2018 @ 20:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I guess it depends how you use your car and what roads you drive on ... me in 10 years I have never had to clean the chassis and I have passed all controls without problem.

Some automatic car wash stations offer an option to clean the chassis as the final part of the program, way way cheaper than the 95-110 CHF mentioned above.

I guess it depends how you use your car and what roads you drive on ... me in 10 years I have never had to clean the chassis and I have passed all controls without problem.

Some automatic car wash stations offer an option to clean the chassis as the final part of the program, way way cheaper than the 95-110 CHF mentioned above.

ajimenezp, Apr 5, 2018 @ 01:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Can't you also just use the high-pressure cleaner (e.g. at Balexert) and wave it around under the car?

Can't you also just use the high-pressure cleaner (e.g. at Balexert) and wave it around under the car?

tawb, Apr 5, 2018 @ 13:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1632 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form