Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Executive Education Cost - Tax deduction

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Executive Education Cost - Tax deduction

Does anyone has an experience of claiming tax deduction on costs spent on  executive education ie an Executive MBA. Especially for geneva taxes.

Do the tax authorities accept the costs as deductible.

Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks

The text you are quoting:

Does anyone has an experience of claiming tax deduction on costs spent on  executive education ie an Executive MBA. Especially for geneva taxes.

Do the tax authorities accept the costs as deductible.

Any information would be highly appreciated. Thanks

FUNINSUNNov 18, 2010 @ 10:33
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1443 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Executive Education Cost - Tax deduction
Post 1

If anyone know the answer for France, I'd like to know, too :)

If anyone know the answer for France, I'd like to know, too :)

FerneyL, Nov 18, 2010 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

The cost of training is most likely not deductible, the logic here is that the training leads to skills improvement and therefore to a higher value on the job market, being likely reflected in a higher salary. Its not clear in the definition in the law itself: it can be also interpreted in the way that the training is required to maintain the current job and present salary level. I used this argument, which seemed strong to me in the time of crisis, frequent lay offs, etc. I even got a letter from my employer supporting my claim. A friend of mine, a tax lawyer was helping me with building the arguments, research etc. Folowing a long and frequent exchange with the Geneva tax authorities I gave up as it didn't go anywhere and I was not ready to go to a court.

I still think that there may be a slight chance, because its indeed not crystal clear in the law itself. Do let me know if you happen to be more lucky.

The cost of training is most likely not deductible, the logic here is that the training leads to skills improvement and therefore to a higher value on the job market, being likely reflected in a higher salary. Its not clear in the definition in the law itself: it can be also interpreted in the way that the training is required to maintain the current job and present salary level. I used this argument, which seemed strong to me in the time of crisis, frequent lay offs, etc. I even got a letter from my employer supporting my claim. A friend of mine, a tax lawyer was helping me with building the arguments, research etc. Folowing a long and frequent exchange with the Geneva tax authorities I gave up as it didn't go anywhere and I was not ready to go to a court.

I still think that there may be a slight chance, because its indeed not crystal clear in the law itself. Do let me know if you happen to be more lucky.

Juraj, Nov 18, 2010 @ 13:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi! Were you able to deduct it in the end? I have a similar situation and would highly appreciate to know how you resolved it. Regards!

Hi! Were you able to deduct it in the end? I have a similar situation and would highly appreciate to know how you resolved it. Regards!

Katerina E, Nov 12, 2015 @ 17:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1443 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form