Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Fine for jumping traffic light

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Fine for jumping traffic light

Hello.

While driving last night, the traffic light was green for going straight but red for turning left. I didnt realise and and i took left (i.e jumped the traffic light).. Ooops...i know its a dangerous thing to happen!

Do traffic lights in Geneva have sensors? (I didnt see any flash)

How many days do people generally receive their fines after?

The text you are quoting:

Hello.

While driving last night, the traffic light was green for going straight but red for turning left. I didnt realise and and i took left (i.e jumped the traffic light).. Ooops...i know its a dangerous thing to happen!

Do traffic lights in Geneva have sensors? (I didnt see any flash)

How many days do people generally receive their fines after?

Siddarth ROct 23, 2016 @ 22:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 3087 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Fine for jumping traffic light
Post 1

Hi, 

It depends on how long the red light was on when you crossed it. Crossing a red light is tricky as it is considered or falls under endangering traffic.

Now they will take into consideration the time of day, the locality, which traffic light, etc. You should receive a letter soon from the service des contraventions. I heard that the fine itself for crossing the red light is estimated at CHF 250.-

I hope this helps.

Hi, 

It depends on how long the red light was on when you crossed it. Crossing a red light is tricky as it is considered or falls under endangering traffic.

Now they will take into consideration the time of day, the locality, which traffic light, etc. You should receive a letter soon from the service des contraventions. I heard that the fine itself for crossing the red light is estimated at CHF 250.-

I hope this helps.

Hassan K, Oct 24, 2016 @ 01:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Some traffic lights have cameras, not all of them. I just received a fine of 250 chf (it took about a month), apparaently it was red for 0,8 seconds!

Some traffic lights have cameras, not all of them. I just received a fine of 250 chf (it took about a month), apparaently it was red for 0,8 seconds!

elka, Oct 24, 2016 @ 08:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Oct 24, 16 08:50

Agreed on the fine, I guess that is the standard amount for crossing a red light. True not all traffic lights have cameras or sensors but if you do cross one I guess one of the important factors is the time. How long the red light was is on plays a major role. 

Agreed on the fine, I guess that is the standard amount for crossing a red light. True not all traffic lights have cameras or sensors but if you do cross one I guess one of the important factors is the time. How long the red light was is on plays a major role. 

Hassan K, Oct 24, 2016 @ 09:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Start from going back to this place and check if there is a radar ;)

if there is no radar, subject closed.

if there is one, then it will be 250.- in case if you have no previous driving issues in Switzerland. If you do have (not parking tickets, but speeding, alcohol, etc) then you will loose your driving licence. Also, if there is a radar, it took your driving speed at the moment of crossing red light. This will not improve the case..

good luck

Start from going back to this place and check if there is a radar ;)

if there is no radar, subject closed.

if there is one, then it will be 250.- in case if you have no previous driving issues in Switzerland. If you do have (not parking tickets, but speeding, alcohol, etc) then you will loose your driving licence. Also, if there is a radar, it took your driving speed at the moment of crossing red light. This will not improve the case..

good luck

Kirill_GE, Oct 24, 2016 @ 09:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 3087 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form