Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Flat utilities charges

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Flat utilities charges

hi, all, i have a question- we are looking into moving flats, so have seen quite a lot of apartments. An d1 thing puzzled me - normal charges for a flat of 100-140sq meters are around 200-300 chf / month depending on the house and season ( u pay more in winter, obviously) While 1 flat that we particularly liked had charges of 600 chf Per month!! For similar sq.m.....morever, when i talked to previous tenant she was mentioning normal rates of 200-300 per month That she pays.....what is the scheme here? Has anybody saw it before? it does not make sense for me-  the utilities chargrs are charged based on consumption and if previous tenant paide 200-300 monthly, why would regie put 600 now? and how could the justify it? Can they somehow profit from it? ( parking is not included, these are purely utility charges....)....let me know, i am puzzled at this 'scheme'...and obviously the charges are a barrier.....will appreciate any advice!

The text you are quoting:

hi, all, i have a question- we are looking into moving flats, so have seen quite a lot of apartments. An d1 thing puzzled me - normal charges for a flat of 100-140sq meters are around 200-300 chf / month depending on the house and season ( u pay more in winter, obviously) While 1 flat that we particularly liked had charges of 600 chf Per month!! For similar sq.m.....morever, when i talked to previous tenant she was mentioning normal rates of 200-300 per month That she pays.....what is the scheme here? Has anybody saw it before? it does not make sense for me-  the utilities chargrs are charged based on consumption and if previous tenant paide 200-300 monthly, why would regie put 600 now? and how could the justify it? Can they somehow profit from it? ( parking is not included, these are purely utility charges....)....let me know, i am puzzled at this 'scheme'...and obviously the charges are a barrier.....will appreciate any advice!

natalia kMay 17, 2015 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1130 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Flat utilities charges
Post 1

Is there a concierge in the buiding. If notthe extra could be to pay independant services for maintainance and upkeep. If not, and in doubt go see ASLOCA.

Is there a concierge in the buiding. If notthe extra could be to pay independant services for maintainance and upkeep. If not, and in doubt go see ASLOCA.

TogJay, May 17, 2015 @ 12:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Seems a bit high to me - we pay around 400 pm and that is for a complete house. As TogJay says I would check with ASLOCA.

Seems a bit high to me - we pay around 400 pm and that is for a complete house. As TogJay says I would check with ASLOCA.

Jeffery S, May 17, 2015 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The utilities generally cover heating+hold water and other expenses for the owner of the building (concierge, maintenance, taxes etc.). You are supposed to pay monthly an advance and then the accounts are closed each year. There is a balance in favor of the tenant or in favor of the landlord.

You should ask the current tenant what was the balance at the end of the year. I am very surprised that they would increase from 200-300 to 600. 600 is pretty high even for a large apartment.

The utilities generally cover heating+hold water and other expenses for the owner of the building (concierge, maintenance, taxes etc.). You are supposed to pay monthly an advance and then the accounts are closed each year. There is a balance in favor of the tenant or in favor of the landlord.

You should ask the current tenant what was the balance at the end of the year. I am very surprised that they would increase from 200-300 to 600. 600 is pretty high even for a large apartment.

Alexandre P, May 17, 2015 @ 22:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you a lot for your replies! Yes, it seems too high for me as well... I asked the tenant and she said she was paying roughly 250 pe month and in the end of the year she would pay 300-400 to close the  balance. That seems like below 300 per month- totally reasonable...the regie explained that 600 includes other things on top of the water and electricity, but i saw apartment in the same house, but in different entrance and it was handled by a different regie and the costs were around 200 per month...so, these utilities costs seem very high and very confusing....

Thank you a lot for your replies! Yes, it seems too high for me as well... I asked the tenant and she said she was paying roughly 250 pe month and in the end of the year she would pay 300-400 to close the  balance. That seems like below 300 per month- totally reasonable...the regie explained that 600 includes other things on top of the water and electricity, but i saw apartment in the same house, but in different entrance and it was handled by a different regie and the costs were around 200 per month...so, these utilities costs seem very high and very confusing....

natalia k, May 18, 2015 @ 10:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

May 18, 15 10:14

Natalia - I would say you are being taken for a big ride.....not sure what you can do but I wouldn't sign anything !!

Natalia - I would say you are being taken for a big ride.....not sure what you can do but I wouldn't sign anything !!

Jeffery S, May 18, 2015 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

this is how i feel as well...when would you advise to contact Asloca - when regie confirms and sends the agreement to sign? i do not feel like signing these documents either, if i do not really understnad the break outs of 600 / monthly charges....

this is how i feel as well...when would you advise to contact Asloca - when regie confirms and sends the agreement to sign? i do not feel like signing these documents either, if i do not really understnad the break outs of 600 / monthly charges....

natalia k, May 18, 2015 @ 13:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

If you really like the apartment you should sign the contract and take it.  Afterwards, ask advice to ASLOCA.  If the charges are abusive the Régie has no right to ask you to pay them.  Remember that it's up to the Régie to justify the price asked.

If you really like the apartment you should sign the contract and take it.  Afterwards, ask advice to ASLOCA.  If the charges are abusive the Régie has no right to ask you to pay them.  Remember that it's up to the Régie to justify the price asked.

TheOmegaMan, May 19, 2015 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

yes, we are considering this option...but, the bail is only for 1 year...and assuming that we sign the contract, go to asloca, start the process, owner/regie have all the rights not to prolong the contract with correct notification period, since it is for 1 year and renewable, and then we would get our money back, but after a move and a few months in the flat we would need to start all over again with search for a new apartment...or is there a way to still stay in the flat? i understood that if hte contract is for 1 year, then any party with notification period can inform the other about not prolonging it and this is totally legal...and they specify as a hard point that the contract is for 1 year....any advise here?

yes, we are considering this option...but, the bail is only for 1 year...and assuming that we sign the contract, go to asloca, start the process, owner/regie have all the rights not to prolong the contract with correct notification period, since it is for 1 year and renewable, and then we would get our money back, but after a move and a few months in the flat we would need to start all over again with search for a new apartment...or is there a way to still stay in the flat? i understood that if hte contract is for 1 year, then any party with notification period can inform the other about not prolonging it and this is totally legal...and they specify as a hard point that the contract is for 1 year....any advise here?

natalia k, May 20, 2015 @ 10:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1130 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form