Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Florimont vs. Lancy

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Florimont vs. Lancy

Hi everyone!

We're relatively new to Geneva and thinking about schools for our son for the 2018 school year. He will be 4, so just starting out. Smile We're finding it difficult to get past the schools' marketing and were hoping to get some input from you all.

It's not clear how long we will be here in Geneva -- at least 5 more years, but could be longer so we want to make a choice that makes sense also in the longer term. We will have to move just before he starts, so location is somewhat flexible, but we work in the UN so don't want to be extremely far from that area.

Our priorities are that he learn French fluently (doesn't have to be able to do a medical degree in French, but basically fluent), that the school have high academic standards and teach students to think critically, that the approach generally be communicative with the parents, and that our/our son's commute not be terrible. We will be getting a subsidy for education expenses so are leaning toward one of the international schools, in particular Florimont or IIL. 

Any thoughts you have would be very appreciated!

Brynna

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone!

We're relatively new to Geneva and thinking about schools for our son for the 2018 school year. He will be 4, so just starting out. Smile We're finding it difficult to get past the schools' marketing and were hoping to get some input from you all.

It's not clear how long we will be here in Geneva -- at least 5 more years, but could be longer so we want to make a choice that makes sense also in the longer term. We will have to move just before he starts, so location is somewhat flexible, but we work in the UN so don't want to be extremely far from that area.

Our priorities are that he learn French fluently (doesn't have to be able to do a medical degree in French, but basically fluent), that the school have high academic standards and teach students to think critically, that the approach generally be communicative with the parents, and that our/our son's commute not be terrible. We will be getting a subsidy for education expenses so are leaning toward one of the international schools, in particular Florimont or IIL. 

Any thoughts you have would be very appreciated!

Brynna

Bryn COct 24, 2017 @ 21:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 2015 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Florimont vs. Lancy
Post 1

I was sorry to see you've had no replies to your post--it's the first thing that comes up when Googling "Florimont vs Lancy." Have you made any headway in your school search since October? I assume you've taken a few more steps in the intervening months.

We've learned recently that we'll be arriving in September 2018 too, working at the UN with 3- and 5-year-olds in tow, and are staring down the same choices as you were, with a fairly similar list of priorities. We're now scrambling to catch up with the folks who've had more time to plan their moves.

We have telephone interviews with both schools scheduled for the coming days, after which I'd be able to share my first impressions (though you're likely far ahead of us in the process by now).

Any thoughts/updates on how it's been going for you would be very helpful to the rest of us in the same sort of boat.

I was sorry to see you've had no replies to your post--it's the first thing that comes up when Googling "Florimont vs Lancy." Have you made any headway in your school search since October? I assume you've taken a few more steps in the intervening months.

We've learned recently that we'll be arriving in September 2018 too, working at the UN with 3- and 5-year-olds in tow, and are staring down the same choices as you were, with a fairly similar list of priorities. We're now scrambling to catch up with the folks who've had more time to plan their moves.

We have telephone interviews with both schools scheduled for the coming days, after which I'd be able to share my first impressions (though you're likely far ahead of us in the process by now).

Any thoughts/updates on how it's been going for you would be very helpful to the rest of us in the same sort of boat.

Cavan v, Mar 16, 2018 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I'd recommend the public system if you want (1) your child to learn French (2) a high level of education.

There is assistance for children with no French, and I would also engage a tutor from http://ararep.ch/

Good luck.

I'd recommend the public system if you want (1) your child to learn French (2) a high level of education.

There is assistance for children with no French, and I would also engage a tutor from http://ararep.ch/

Good luck.

Sean C, Mar 16, 2018 @ 20:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Good luck.

Mar 16, 18 20:24

I'll just also add we've had experiences with Ecolint which was good, and the L'ecole de Nations which I would give a big thumbs down to.

I'll just also add we've had experiences with Ecolint which was good, and the L'ecole de Nations which I would give a big thumbs down to.

Sean C, Mar 16, 2018 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

We liked both but ended up going with Florimont. Basically it came down to which "felt" better, and for us that was Florimont. We were initially attracted by the bilingual option at Lancy, but learned that the additional amount of formal language instruction meant that other things (I believe music, art) were displaced. In the end, though, we're leaving Geneva much earlier than expected, so all of it turns out to be moot! Happy to chat more, if you want to send me a message.

We liked both but ended up going with Florimont. Basically it came down to which "felt" better, and for us that was Florimont. We were initially attracted by the bilingual option at Lancy, but learned that the additional amount of formal language instruction meant that other things (I believe music, art) were displaced. In the end, though, we're leaving Geneva much earlier than expected, so all of it turns out to be moot! Happy to chat more, if you want to send me a message.

Bryn C, Mar 18, 2018 @ 09:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 2015 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form